OT: - Realignment? | Page 20 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
Gawd...AAU is just research oriented with heavy weight on medical research...

Changes AAU had made in its membership criteria put more emphasis on the volume of federally sponsored science and engineering research and put particularly a premium on biomedical studies.

That limits membership...example...FSU has a medical school, but one chartered by the legislature to produce Family Practice physicians....UF and USF were chartered by the Legislature for med research. ........but FSU has a ton of research from the National High Magnetic Lab to the formulation of the anti cancer drug Taxol.

FSU receives the highest award of any Florida school from the National Science Foundation...

The National Science Foundation (NSF) is an independent agency of the United States government that supports fundamental research and education in all the non-medical fields of science and engineering. Its medical counterpart is the National Institute of Health.

Academics are academics...some schools fly under the radar...FSU is Top 20 in National Public Universities (USNWR)...has more science research federal grants than AAU Florida....but in the medical field, no.

Reaction Score
FSU has a medical school, but one chartered by the legislature to produce Family Practice physicians....UF and USF were chartered by the Legislature for med research. ........but FSU has a ton of research from the National High Magnetic Lab to the formulation of the anti cancer drug Taxol.
I agree with your overall premise. The AAU includes several amazing research universities. But AAU status shouldn't be viewed as a be all end all measure of academic prowess.

Regardless, I expect Florida State's institutional profile to continue trending in an AAU-like direction. Expanding research output (especially NIH funding) is why they just hired Harvard's VP of Research to be president. Fortunately, TMH FINALLY seems to be coming around (see link below) just as he arrives.

Who knows? Maybe both UConn and FSU will be receiving AAU consideration by the time the ACC grant of rights expires? Start the rumor now... UConn and Florida State to the Big 10. :p

Reaction Score

ND home opener streaming exclusively on peacock
I signed up for Peacock just to watch some Olympics. Man it sucks royally. It got to be one of the worst streaming apps out there. Good luck to ND fans since I will be canceling mine as soon as Olympics is good. In the end, I resorted to watching replays on Youtube since it is much easier to find summaries of events.

Reaction Score
I signed up for Peacock just to watch some Olympics. Man it sucks royally. It got to be one of the worst streaming apps out there. Good luck to ND fans since I will be canceling mine as soon as Olympics is good. In the end, I resorted to watching replays on Youtube since it is much easier to find summaries of events.
I get it through Xfinity for free and I agree IT IS AWFUL. Freezes, drops and lagging are constant.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I get it through Xfinity for free and I agree IT IS AWFUL. Freezes, drops and lagging are constant.
I had a little of that early on but now it works fine for me. I have FIOS Gigabyte so there is plenty of capacity if the apps is a resource hog.

I'm not a huge fan of the content though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had a little of that early on but now it works fine for me. I have FIOS Gigabyte so there is plenty of capacity if the apps is a resource hog.

I'm not a huge fan of the content though.
Apparently this post was a streaming app mojo violation as last night it was a little glitchy. It doesn’t seem to be problematic if you are watching movie that don’t have commercials. About 50% of the time coming back from a commercial you need to stop and resume to get it back to you normal play.

Reaction Score
Peacock for live sports is horrendous, it's marginally adequate for replays/other types of content.

Reaction Score
Just saw this nugget from the BCU corner on how to make ACC the super ACC. They have visions to get ND to join, poach PSU from B1G, and/or get USC/UCLA to join etc. I guess there is no limit to imagination.

Reaction Score
Just saw this nugget from the BCU corner on how to make ACC the super ACC. They have visions to get ND to join, poach PSU from B1G, and/or get USC/UCLA to join etc. I guess there is no limit to imagination.

The ACC isn’t the SEC and they aren’t going to keep up. The ACC has Clemson as a top tier football school and that’s it. FSU is a step down and everyone after that are several steps below and are Just average D1 football teams.

Reaction Score
The ACC isn’t the SEC and they aren’t going to keep up. The ACC has Clemson as a top tier football school and that’s it. FSU is a step down and everyone after that are several steps below and are Just average D1 football teams.

Which is why it is ridiculous these schools are getting paid way more than schools like UCONN or Cincy. Part of this realignment again is to get rid of these schools that been riding on the back of bigger schools. The writing is on the wall since what just happened to the B12 is a foreshadow of what's coming at the ACC. We all are monitoring the PAC12 since it could be next if the new commissioner can't pull something huge out of his butt to save the conference. It is funny listening to guys like Washington State president talking to the media like that school got a say in what's going to happen next.

Reaction Score

Once again no mention of UConn anywhere. One way he left out to make a super ACC would be to throw out BC!

Reaction Score
Once again no mention of UConn anywhere. One way he left out to make a super ACC would be to throw out BC!
It would be the best for the ACC and poetic justice if they toss BCU out of that conference. What has that school brought to the ACC exactly? Boston market? Please make us laugh.

In this new streaming world, BCU is about as valuable as Tulane.

Reaction Score
If the ACC is going to get an increase by 15 million per school by signing up Comcast, they don’t really need to do anything. I think it is inevitable that ND joins and makes the ACC TV contract equal to the SEC.

I don’t see 1-3 teams leaving the PAC 12 for the B1G due to the travel, especially for their non revenue sports. Michigan and tOSU are not joining the SEC either for the same reasons. Texas & OU actually fit the footprint of the SEC.

It’s going to be very difficult for the SEC and the B1G to expand due to the current revenue each team receives.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom