OT: - Realignment? | Page 21 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
Wow Ohio State, Texas, and Alabama all over a billion dollars. Look at that drop off in the B1G. You get to the third most valuable brand, Penn State, and it's worth half of Ohio State.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't know the value of added distribution for the ACC...but there will be some. Maybe more for access than actual monetary increase. Mediacom just signed up and Comcast is in the batter's box.

"A lot of the carriers and providers, including Comcast, have renewals coming up this late summer and into the fall. I think we're making tremendous progress with them," Phillips said.

"Those frustrations are real. We'll never be the conference that we need to be until we get some of those issues taken care of. I think we have a great strategy. It's been top of point every conversation we've had with our TV partners. They understand it. They get it. So we're hopeful to make a big dent in the distribution piece coming up."

I still think that the ACC may work it out where it is feasible to take on a couple of programs...from a mix of WVU, UCF, Cincinnati, etc.

Ultimately. too little, too late,Phillips is attempting to get the ACC to think like a football conference. Swofford straddled the fence with a lot of his schools being more interested in basketball. The ACC has very good basketball, and very good non revenue sports...but they don't bring in the money.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The thing is none of those suggested adds (except maybe Cincinnati adds some new Ohio based carriage outside of overlaps with the Pittsburgh DMA) adds a new market or a significant enough attraction to really do anything to the rights agreement, other than add potential streaming inventory. They're teams whose relative market value is in the $7-$14M range currently (and that accepts the Big XII commissioner's valuation as accurate).

Right's deals have grown enough that outside of the tippity top teams, no P5 league has anywhere to turn to increase their payouts or even to keep everyone whole while increasing inventory. Of those teams Notre Dame is the only (relatively speaking) free agent. That's why there's so much smoke on USC to the Big Ten, but even then once you have to get into their tagalongs it starts to dilute the value.

Reaction Score
"Carriage", "DMA"...old speak. The paradigm has shifted.

Now it is creating an inventory of games that people nationally will tune into.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Yeah but what does that mean? Suddenly Cin WVU or UCf are national programs? They are regional..... I have no more interest in watching a game involving them then I do wake forest.

Reaction Score
Yeah but what does that mean? Suddenly Cin WVU or UCf are national programs? They are regional..... I have no more interest in watching a game involving them then I do wake forest.

I have no interest in watching most teams north of Virginia...

But...WVU-Pitt...WVU-VT have been big rivalry games...WVU-Louisville would also be good.

UCF can build rivalries with Miami and FSU...in state rivalries add juice...and Florida is a football state.

I could see the day where the FSU-Florida rivalry is discontinued with the SEC maybe playing more in conference games in pods.

Reaction Score
There are P5 teams that make for so-so match ups...Wake, Northwestern, Duke, Indiana, Kansas, etc.

Wake Forest does have a winning record over Tulsa, UConn, Memphis, and Navy from the American....Oregon, Stanford, and Arizona State from the Pac....Georgia, Ole Miss, A&M from the SEC...and Rutgers...and a .500 record with Northwestern and Indiana.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no interest in watching most teams north of Virginia...

That kinda says it all right there.

“I’m interested in football that comes out of my specific geographic region and almost no other football.”

Reaction Score
Sounds like a regional watcher......like most everyone. There are maybe 20 national teams. The Acc has maybe 1 of them.

Reaction Score
That kinda says it all right there.

“I’m interested in football that comes out of my specific geographic region and almost no other football.”

How many times do I read that on the Yard?

I don't want to watch blah, blah...

I really have no interest in Rutgers-Penn State or Indiana-Iowa or Wisconsin-Northwestern....Nebraska and anyone...I'll watch Ohio State now and then.

I tend to watch ACC basketball ....we all have our interest, familiarities, and regions.

I have a sense that northeasterners don't watch Wake Forest, Ole Miss, GT, etc...

Reaction Score
I do watch top 20 teams and always check in on WVU, Texas A&M, Miami, Florida, Auburn...

Reaction Score
We sometimes follow teams for unplanned reasons. In 1982 we went to the Gator Bowl to play West Virginia. Met a young couple from West Virginia..hit it off, went out after the game and partied.

Exchanged phone numbers (you know how that goes...). But we did hear from them. "we're coming to Florida"...We took them out sailing, ate seafood and had a great time. We both had a boy born within 2 months of each other. We met and had vacationed together over the years and our boys grew up as "cousins". I cheer for the team of our friends.

Reaction Score
Yes but you mentioned Louisville vs WV as a good .........yes for people in WV and Louisville and a few who bet on it. Other then that it's losing out to the puppy bowl reruns

Reaction Score
It would be a good game....better than most AAC matches.

Me? UMass and anyone has to be a world class bore. BC as well.

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1628642367583.png

Considering that is college football brand values from 2017, $59.8M isn't all that bad.

Reaction Score
I’ave been a college football fan since I was very young.
probably the 1940’s which is even before I became a UConn Basketball fan.
I remember watching the The sprit of West Point in the movies
and the legends of Doc Blanchard and Glenn Davis bigger than life stars.
It made me a Army fan of course
I would adopt a team an their rival was on my most hated list .
love Army hate Navy
Love Ohio State ( they had a guy named Hopalong Cassidy )
hate the Mich Teams
liked Tenn they wore orange hated Alabama
like UCLA cool powder blue and gold uniforms hate USC
Love Okla hate Texas
hating Texas makes you automatically become an A&M and Arkansas fan
Liked Fla hated Georgia and later FSU
Like Georgia Tech. until they refused to allow Pitt to use a black player In the Sugar Bowl Switched sides
The list is very long
I collected and cherished my football legends cards with old time players.
Even though I was a Catholic boy I wasn’t a huge ND fanboy like most of my friends .
I kind of Liked Yale and hated Harvard and when is was 13-14my friends and would hitch to the Bowl to watch a game in person getting permission from my parents was optional.
i never told this story on the board but it’s absolutely true
I knew a guy at ESPN who was responsible for programming at
ESPN which at the time was the home of college basketball
We were at a girls softball game sitting next to each other
and he had a notebook
He told me ESPN was going to televise college football and asked if I was a fan. I told him of course but to me college football was the game of the week . This guys experience had been primarily in basketball and baseball so he asked me to review the potential menu which read something like
week 1 a v b or c v d each week there was a choice of games.
He asked my preference
some weeks were toss ups in my mind but most weeks there was clearly a better choice.
I gave him my preferences and that’s the schedule ESPN went with for its first go round
So I’m the root cause of all this conference realignment pushed by ESPN .
My priest who was ND fan gave me absolution for my sin. But I’m haunted by the guilt.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

That’s an issue for the ACC.

There’s no one to add that will improve that and outside of Clemson and whoever is playing Notre Dame, there’s really nothing of note in the conference. A mid-level SEC or Big Ten game has more sizzle than all but maybe a handful of ACC games.

Reaction Score
That’s an issue for the ACC.

There’s no one to add that will improve that and outside of Clemson and whoever is playing Notre Dame, there’s really nothing of note in the conference. A mid-level SEC or Big Ten game has more sizzle than all but maybe a handful of ACC games.

You have to include FSU in the sizzle department. They’ve been terrible for a few years, but they’ll be back. When they are, they will be a draw.

Reaction Score
Wrecking Big East football was a dumb move for the teams that lost their "sizzle". UL football riding high got them into the ACC and they haven't done much in the ACC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom