OT: - Realignment? | Page 23 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
Hey guys, I have read this board for 10 years, but I just posted my 1st message yesterday, so go easy on me.
Here's my platform. I am a huge UConn fan, for all of their sports, including, but not limited to, women's field hockey. But here are my 3 gripes: They're not in a Power 4 conference (yet), no on campus football stadium, and no men's lacrosse team.
Looking at the big picture, I am a huge public school fan, except those named after a city (UL, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, Pittsburgh)
And I would love to see all of the private schools get dropped from the Power 4 and focus on education. That probably won't happen for the 5 big guys (ND, USC, Stanford, Dukeand Miami). But I'm hoping that the 7 small ones get dropped (NW, Vandy, BC, WF, Cuse) and may have already (BU and TCU).

Reaction Score
The move to football dominance by the SEC can be countered by the Alliance. They can remove the SEC from future schedules in all sports and schedule with all other teams and conferences to make up for it. The NCAA is on life support with the TX and OK move. So let them be there own league playing only themselves in all sports. Coaches will be fired rapidly as they have losing records at former powerhouses. Miss and Miss St and Ark will never win in football. Vanderbilt and TX A&M won't either. They will be cannon fodder. Most fans in the rest of the country not made up of the old confederacy will watch the games for their area teams. Let the SEC hold it's own playoff and the rest of the country can have an open playoff. Screw em! And then you have the rest of the sports holding their own tourneys while the SEC just plays themselves.

Reaction Score
But here are my 3 gripes: They're not in a Power 4 conference (yet), no on campus football stadium, and no men's lacrosse team.
Nice post.

Others on this board are far more knowledgeable on UConn specific issues, and I literally know nothing about the plausibility of adding men's lacrosse. I can opine as an interested/supportive state resident that a number of factors, including the university's relationship with Pratt Whitney, make me doubt that an on campus football stadium is in the cards. Lastly, I suspect the best (though still unlikely) hope of attracting future power conference interest is for UConn to maintain its basketball traditions while somehow building a plucky, upstart football program.

Reaction Score
Interesting.
Though seems to leave out revenue from conference networks?

Yeah...something else to consider....his chart illustrates the ACC as receiving $153 million in 2019...

But the total distributed was more than double that...

The ACC distributed a record $497.2 million for the 2019-20 financial year, the highest gross revenue ever reported for the league, according to tax documents released Friday. The revenue increased more than $42 million over the previous year -- thanks largely to its increased television and postseason bowl revenues.May 21, 2021

Reaction Score
Yeah...something else to consider....his chart illustrates the ACC as receiving $153 million in 2019...

But the total distributed was more than double that...

The ACC distributed a record $497.2 million for the 2019-20 financial year, the highest gross revenue ever reported for the league, according to tax documents released Friday. The revenue increased more than $42 million over the previous year -- thanks largely to its increased television and postseason bowl revenues.May 21, 2021
The chart is just media arrangements, not distributions from the NCAA for CFP, bowls, or March madness.,

Reaction Score
Just shows the vast difference berween media payout and total payout...

Reaction Score
I bet some concrete gets poured. If nothing else it's a start to prevent the demise of college athletes, which I think we all agree is the most important aspect.

Welll...to play the flip side...

The spokespeople were very quick to point out that the alliance “is not about revenue"…WHY THE HELL NOT ? That’s what this whole thing is about. Revenue and trying to ensure your member schools can win a national championship.

Maybe I'm just an old southern football guy on a rant..

But screw being unique, woke, caring more about academics etc. We’re talking about athletics here. More specifically football….just copy the SEC. Try to beat them at their own game.

But instead we have these dorks talking about wanting to form an alliance to preserve academic excellence among athletes and talk about social matters and gender issues. I’m really hoping that they are just keeping things under wraps and they have a much better plan/vision but I’m not getting my hopes up.

The main result, I think, will be an attempt to stick a monkey wrench in the SEC's/Notre Dame's plan to populate the playoff and to delay until the CFP contract comes up in 2025. Rather than ESPN walking with it, maybe have other bidders in a revamped format.

Reaction Score

The spokespeople were very quick to point out that the alliance “is not about revenue"…WHY THE HELL NOT ? That’s what this whole thing is about. Revenue and trying to ensure your member schools can win a national championship.

But screw being unique, woke, caring more about academics etc. We’re talking about athletics here. More specifically football….just copy the SEC. Try to beat them at their own game.

But instead we have these dorks talking about wanting to form an alliance to preserve academic excellence among athletes and talk about social matters and gender issues. I’m really hoping that they are just keeping things under wraps and they have a much better plan/vision but I’m not getting my hopes up.

The main result, I think, will be an attempt to stick a monkey wrench in the SEC's/Notre Dame's plan to populate the playoff and to delay until the CFP contract comes up in 2025. Rather than ESPN walking with it, maybe have other bidders in a revamped format.
I think you brought up the whole point of this by stating "just copy the SEC". They don't want to go the route of the SEC. The other conferences want more of a balance on things beyond big boy football.

Just saw this article - it sheds a bit of that perspective:

Reaction Score

Here's a counter rant.

ACC schools want a better contract? Give viewers games worth watching. Teams besides Clemson need to join or rejoin the nationally relevant and stay there.

Pretty much same thing goes for the PAC 12.

Reaction Score
FSU and Miami are still brands....and both are rebuilding...we'll see.

Reaction Score
But USC is opening with LSU in 2024...what does that mean vs Alliance?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom