OT: - Realignment? | Page 22 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
Adding a bunch of games with WVU, Cincinnati and UCF aren't adding "must watch" or event "want to watch" content for the ACC. They don't add a new market, or enough interest/eyeballs to any of their games... certainly not enough to actually raise or do anything to not dilute the level of payout to the existing membership.

Aside from Notre Dame, there really isn't any place to turn for the ACC.

Reaction Score
Wrecking Big East football was a dumb move for the teams that lost their "sizzle". UL football riding high got them into the ACC and they haven't done much in the ACC.

Dumb move maybe but twice the money...

Reaction Score
Adding a bunch of games with WVU, Cincinnati and UCF aren't adding "must watch" or event "want to watch" content for the ACC. They don't add a new market, or enough interest/eyeballs to any of their games... certainly not enough to actually raise or do anything to not dilute the level of payout to the existing membership.

Aside from Notre Dame, there really isn't any place to turn for the ACC.

True...and also true for the Pac, B1G, Big 12...

Reaction Score
Dumb move maybe but twice the money...
A strong conference based in the northeast should not have paid less than the ACC. Something doesn't add up. It's not as if the ACC gained much by adding whatever schools poached.

Ironically, looks like Cuse, BC and UL, at least, are now in a dead end, conference-wise.

Reaction Score
The B1g will eventually break through in thr Pac or the Acc...its only a matter of time. There will be 2 super conference and the rest.

8 years ago TX and OK had a lot of luggage. Now they basically said see yah to all those sister schools and never looked back. Eventually the Top Pac and Acc will do the same. No way around it.

Even the strongest rock gets worn down over time.

Reaction Score
The B1g will eventually break through in thr Pac or the Acc...its only a matter of time. There will be 2 super conference and the rest.

8 years ago TX and OK had a lot of luggage. Now they basically said see yah to all those sister schools and never looked back. Eventually the Top Pac and Acc will do the same. No way around it.

Even the strongest rock gets worn down over time.

Thankfully, I don't worry about long term erosion. At 75, my horizon is more limited...if it's more than ten years out...kay sirrah.

Miami may be underwater someday, the western states may become like the Sahara...and the ACC may cease to exist...but not in my future.

Heck, UCF could overtake Alabama, even.

Reaction Score
True...and also true for the Pac, B1G, Big 12...
True for PAC and the ACC, but the B1G can always poach all the top assets from both conferences to keep up with the SEC. Unless the new commissioner of PAC can somehow match revenue with the SEC and B1G, we will know the fate of PAC soon. ACC got a few years due to GOR before it is picked apart since it sits right between SEC and the B1G. Both PAC and ACC will face the music sooner or later.

Reaction Score
True for PAC and the ACC, but the B1G can always poach all the top assets from both conferences to keep up with the SEC. Unless the new commissioner of PAC can somehow match revenue with the SEC and B1G, we will know the fate of PAC soon. ACC got a few years due to GOR before it is picked apart since it sits right between SEC and the B1G. Both PAC and ACC will face the music sooner or later.

I would love to live long enough to be rid of playing Boston College, Syracuse...may the B1G snap them up next Monday.. And Duke and Wake. But there will be no one leaving the ACC for a long time.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Thankfully, I don't worry about long term erosion. At 75, my horizon is more limited...if it's more than ten years out...kay sirrah.

Miami may be underwater someday, the western states may become like the Sahara...and the ACC may cease to exist...but not in my future.

Heck, UCF could overtake Alabama, even.
You must be older than I thought :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You have to include FSU in the sizzle department. They’ve been terrible for a few years, but they’ll be back. When they are, they will be a draw.
We're still waiting for the U to come back.

Reaction Score
We're still waiting for the U to come back.
I don’t think FSU and Miami are a fair comparison. FSU is a state flagship. Miami is a small, private school. FSU has a built in fan base that the U doesn’t have.

Reaction Score
I don’t think FSU and Miami are a fair comparison. FSU is a state flagship. Miami is a small, private school. FSU has a built in fan base that the U doesn’t have.

It will take a while...but Norvell seems to be on the right track.

It may not show this year with the tough schedule...On current Coaches Poll...FSU will play #2, #7, #9, #11, #16....Five teams in the Top 16 is tough for a rebuilding program

Recruiting....Currently #4 ....2022 Recruit Class-Rivals....will end up in good shape...

Norvell's first season was with the youngest team in the country....he is building.

In his first season at Florida State, Norvell led the youngest team in the nation as freshmen and sophomores made up 75 percent of FSU's roster and 34 players made their first appearance for the Seminoles.Jun 4, 2021

Reaction Score
Norvell is a great coach. I have no doubts that FSU is on the way back.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wrecking Big East football was a dumb move for the teams that lost their "sizzle". UL football riding high got them into the ACC and they haven't done much in the ACC.
Except make millions more for their athletic departments. That was always the goal of conference realignment, not rivalries or on the field product.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Except make millions more for there athletic departments. That was always the goal of conference realignment, not rivalries or on the field product.
I am aware of that. But to say the ACC had more lucrative markets than the old Big East is backwards. In other words, the Big East was underpaid.

Reaction Score
I am aware of that. But to say the ACC had more lucrative markets than the old Big East is backwards. In other words, the Big East was underpaid.
And poorly managed and a band of unaligned institutions, and, and, and....

Reaction Score
And poorly managed and a band of unaligned institutions, and, and, and....
Ironically, isn't the ACC unaligned? Of course, but the Big East would have been a better option for some schools that left for the ACC. Poor management definitely was an issue to some extent. Needed to be more proactive. Should have separated basketball schools from all sports schools quicker. That model was designed to fail.

Either way, it is what it is.

Reaction Score
A strong conference based in the northeast should not have paid less than the ACC. Something doesn't add up. It's not as if the ACC gained much by adding whatever schools poached.

Ironically, looks like Cuse, BC and UL, at least, are now in a dead end, conference-wise.
UL was in the AAC if they didn’t go.
How was that a dumb move because we would have grabbed that lifeline all day long.

Reaction Score
Except make millions more for their athletic departments. That was always the goal of conference realignment, not rivalries or on the field product.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom