Re: Megan Walker's Twitter Page | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Re: Megan Walker's Twitter Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm starting to like the idea of her not picking UConn. As soon as I saw that "building my brand" BS, I started to lose interest, big time!! Doesn't sound like a "Team First" sort of person to me....
I don't know if most of us lost interest, but many of us felt, to steal a phrase (thanks Matrix), a small splinter in our minds. I'm becoming convinced as well that Ms Walker has made up her mind and is now merely riding the wave of attention from fans, friends and family. Perhaps she feels this is how to lay the foundations for a brand? Nevertheless as I've said before if she signs great. If not she'll be watching The UConn win NC after NC, some of which first hand. No Chicken Little here. The UConn will still be The UConn.

Reaction Score
Distance from Richmond, VA to University of Texas =1470 Miles
Distance from Richmond, VA to Storrs, CT= 471 Miles
Distance from Richmond, VA to South Bend, IN = 710 Miles

So are you saying UCONN has a chance?
And she can ride with me any time she or I want to make the trip!! Especially to Gampel ....

Reaction Score
I don't know if most of us lost interest, but many of us felt, to steal a phrase (thanks Matrix), a small splinter in our minds. I'm becoming convinced as well that Ms Walker has made up her mind and is now merely riding the wave of attention from fans, friends and family. Perhaps she feels this is how to lay the foundations for a brand? Nevertheless as I've said before if she signs great. If not she'll be watching The UConn win NC after NC, some of which first hand. No Chicken Little here. The UConn will still be The UConn.

I have no problem with any kid "milking" the attentions, adoration, T shirts, etc. Once they sign on the dotted line and begin practicing--much of that adulation is gone. Many think a Huge Ego for a kid is an insult---Ego is great --if you can back it up--and it appear MW can back it up nicely. Geno loves kids who have healthy egos (Confidence) and can back it up ---Confidence in yourself will help you throughout life, and greatly in WBB.
Uconn will be UConn --and as long as Uconn has Geno--dry years will be minimal.

Reaction Score
We never land kids like this. I would bet everything i own that she isnt coming here. Like Geno said, the girls that wanna come here usually know it pretty quickly. She's too social media involved. I said it before.....it will be Texas. The way she is handling her recruitment fits Texas. Hard to explain what i mean by that, but it just does. Also im no expert, but body language in texas pic gave it away. It was the first pic where her body language wasnt holding back. I also think Tina Thompson was able to relate to her better than anyone at the other schools. Distance is holdng her back.
I agree! I was trying to remember a "prized" recruit who struggled with her decision for so long and then chose UConn? It seems that the young women who choose us know what they want. Regarding the "body language" - I thought that her pics during her official visit to UConn lacked the excitement that I saw in our other recruits. Anyway, whatever her decision may be, I wish her well!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

"The UConn?" Kind of sounds like a brand in it's own right :cool:;) In the case of WCBB, the major brand at this point.

If I remember correctly -- and please advise/correct if need be -- it was the Walker family that initially said they'd have the decision done by the week after she returned from the last college OV. If she's having a tough/very tough time with that decision, I could get it. Like you and a few others, it does not quite feel that way. Might be a number of things at play, but I'm not going to waste time on it right now because I see this thing outside that looks remarkably like the sun (for the first time in many a day). :)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
"The UConn?" Kind of sounds like a brand in it's own right :cool:;) In the case of WCBB, the major brand at this point.

If I remember correctly -- and please advise/correct if need be -- it was the Walker family that initially said they'd have the decision done by the week after she returned from the last college OV. If she's having a tough/very tough time with that decision, I could get it. Like you and a few others, it does not quite feel that way. Might be a number of things at play, but I'm not going to waste time on it right now because I see this thing outside that looks remarkably like the sun (for the first time in many a day). :)
The University of Connecticut is THE UConn. Like no other.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to like the idea of her not picking UConn. As soon as I saw that "building my brand" BS, I started to lose interest, big time!! Doesn't sound like a "Team First" sort of person to me....

my first thought was, is she a Diamond DeShields type?...me first...i have not seen her play at all but have seen Christyn Williams play and she would be my focus...after that i am really anxious to see what Bent and Irwin and Dangerfield bring to the table...Geno and CD are the constant in 11 national championships...i think that some way the staff will find a way to stay competitive in the years to come with or without Walker...Uconn recruits do commit early usually

Reaction Score

Kids today hear every athlete talk about "building their brand" (and probably have people around them talking about that also). I wouldn't hold that against them. In fact, as a UConn fan I would embrace it. Our history is that every top recruit that comes to UConn leaves a better person, a better player AND a household name. They are All-Americans (often multiple times), Players of the Year (often multiple times), National Champions (often multiple times), the top pick(s) in the WNBA draft and Olympic team members. No one had a better "brand" then Lobo, Sue, Diana, Tina, Maya or Stewie at the end of their college careers. So much so that for most their first name became their brand. So if you want to enhance your "brand" UConn is the place.

Now if you mean I want to hold myself above the team .... UConn? Not so much.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kids today hear every athlete talk about "building their brand" (and probably have people around them talking about that also). I wouldn't hold that against them. In fact, as a UConn fan I would embrace it. Our history is that every top recruit that comes to UConn leaves a better person, a better player AND a household name. They are All-Americans (often multiple times), Players of the Year (often multiple times), National Champions (often multiple times), the top pick(s) in the WNBA draft and Olympic team members. No one had a better "brand" then Lobo, Sue, Diana, Tina, Maya or Stewie at the end of their college careers. So much so that for most their first name became their brand. So if you want to enhance your "brand" UConn is the place.
Now if you mean I want to hold myself above the team .... UConn? Not so much.
So true, great points. The other reality of this "T-shirt brand" is that it was going to have to take a back seat anyway regardless of which school she attends because the NCAA and the time commitment to NC contending program will simply not allow it. Throw in USA basketball over next couple of summers and Megan going to be pretty busy.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

Relax. It's just a buzz phrase that her peer group understands. It doesn't mean she is selfish or anything else of that sort. For me, it translates to "building up the best version of me that I can."

No harm in that.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
No one had a better "brand" then Lobo, Sue, Diana, Tina, Maya or Stewie at the end of their college careers.

Skylar Diggins did. I know that reads as a homer post, which no one likes from a visiting fan. But she had 120,000 followers on twitter as a junior.

UConn is definitely good for one's brand because UConn has the most fans and the most exposure. But if you are good enough (and if we're being honest, pretty enough) you can build a great brand regardless of what school you went to. I think EDD coming out of Delaware is a great example of that.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I remember one player who took her time and Geno and Chris thought they lost her but much to their surprise she chose UConn. Her name was Shea Ralph

Reaction Score
Skylar Diggins did. I know that reads as a homer post, which no one likes from a visiting fan. But she had 120,000 followers on twitter as a junior.

UConn is definitely good for one's brand because UConn has the most fans and the most exposure. But if you are good enough (and if we're being honest, pretty enough) you can build a great brand regardless of what school you went to. I think EDD coming out of Delaware is a great example of that.
SkyDigg's brand exists because she is pretty (and the rapper du jour noticed and tweeted about it in 2012) and not a super accomplished women's basketball player.

Reaction Score

Maybe you are right about twitter and if that is your standard ok. I was talking about brand as a basketball player.

Don't get me wrong. I think she was an excellent player. But she did not leave college with the accolades of the others -- National Player of the Year? National Championships? Olympic teams? One might argue that if she went to UConn (and lost her attitude) she would be in a conversation with Sue, Diana, Tina, Maya and Stewie, because she would likely have a better calling card. Right now, as a basketball player leaving her mark on the NCAA she is not in the same sentence as those players.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
SkyDigg's brand exists because she is pretty (and the rapper du jour noticed and tweeted about it in 2012) and not a super accomplished women's basketball player.

Women's college basketball is more popular and visible than women's pro basketball and Skylar was a 2x 1st team All-American and made 3 Final Fours. She was a VERY accomplished collegiate player.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Maybe you are right about twitter and if that is your standard ok. I was talking about brand as a basketball player.

Don't get me wrong. I think she was an excellent player. But she did not leave college with the accolades of the others -- National Player of the Year? National Championships? Olympic teams? One might argue that if she went to UConn (and lost her attitude) she would be in a conversation with Sue, Diana, Tina, Maya and Stewie, because she would likely have a better calling card. Right now, as a basketball player leaving her mark on the NCAA she is not in the same sentence as those players.

Yes, those players had greater achievements as college players.

I assume the root of this discussion is Walker's statement "I would study business, to learn how to further build my brand (MKW)." Given the references to studying business and "MKW" (her intials and her t-shirt logo), I assume she is talking about her brand from a business/marketing standpoint. Hence why I brought up EDD and Skylar as examples of players with strong brands that didn't go to UConn.

Of course, with the exposure and success of UConn WBB, it's arguable that their brands would be even more successful if they had been Huskies. It's an interesting counterfactual to ponder.

Reaction Score

Diggins wasn't even as accomplished as Hartley and Dolson who both had 2x WBCA AA, 4 FFs, and 2 national titles.

Reaction Score
my first thought was, is she a Diamond DeShields type?...me first...i have not seen her play at all but have seen Christyn Williams play and she would be my focus...after that i am really anxious to see what Bent and Irwin and Dangerfield bring to the table...Geno and CD are the constant in 11 national championships...i think that some way the staff will find a way to stay competitive in the years to come with or without Walker...Uconn recruits do commit early usually

Here is the thing --neither you nor I live in her neighborhood--most likely you and I don't speak that way--it's called BRAVADO--
If Geno and Christine think that the kid will be a Uconn team player--All the BS/ BRAVADO means nothing--she'll be a UConn kid.
IF Geno and Christine think as you seem to think --Walker is all about ME and no team player--Geno will give her a flower and kiss her on both cheeks. In terms of FOCUS--Geno, Christine, Shea and Marisa --are like Patton--they drive until they take the target--or select a bigger better one.
It was only APRIL when some lamented---Uconn/Geno has not Bigs of top talent for next year and beyond--then Gifts floated in and the picture changed.

Reaction Score
Diggins was a 3x WBCA AA. Hartley and Dolson were each only 1x 2nd team AP All-Americans. Diggins is clearly more accomplished as an individual, though she obviously doesn't have the NCs.

Big O---Diggins is /was one hell of a BB player--If that is her accomplishment--I agree. It took me some time to confess she was that good--after all she WAS ND!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The attitude is always part of the package. Stewie might not know what an "attitude" is but Sue, Diana, Tina, Maya knew before, during and after their time at UCONN. DT without an attitude is probably only as good as Jessika Taurasi-her sister. To say Skylar is not in the same conversation as "Sue, Diana, Tina, Maya and Stewie" is really not accurate and depends on the subject of the conversation. For example, if your talking USA basketball National team, when healthy, Skylar was one of the last cuts for last USA WC team. Sylar's in contention for next WC and Olympic teams if she doesn't make it it will not be because she chose to go to ND instead of UCONN-unless you want to bye into that orange tin foil always Anti-Geno nonsense.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I was going by this site: Past Teams - NCAA Division I. Dolson in 2013 and 2014, and Hartley in 2012 and 2014.

Right. Sorry, I realize now my last post may have been confusing since I went from talking about WBCA to AP. Here's the comparison I was trying to make:

WBCA All-American teams - Diggins (3x), Hartley & Dolson (2x)

AP All-American teams - Diggins 1st team 2x, Hartley & Dolson 2nd team 1x

Reaction Score
Here is the thing --neither you nor I live in her neighborhood--most likely you and I don't speak that way--it's called BRAVADO--
If Geno and Christine think that the kid will be a Uconn team player--All the BS/ BRAVADO means nothing--she'll be a UConn kid.
IF Geno and Christine think as you seem to think --Walker is all about ME and no team player--Geno will give her a flower and kiss her on both cheeks. In terms of FOCUS--Geno, Christine, Shea and Marisa --are like Patton--they drive until they take the target--or select a bigger better one.
It was only APRIL when some lamented---Uconn/Geno has not Bigs of top talent for next year and beyond--then Gifts floated in and the picture changed.

well they did not get Cox (Baylor) or Wilson (South Carolina) or Turner (Notre Dame) and they recruited them very hard...nobody gets everyone they want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom