Re: Megan Walker's Twitter Page | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Re: Megan Walker's Twitter Page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CBear01- - - On the WCBB Seeding Show on ESPN whoever was doing the reporting/showing the brackets brought on the Chairwoman, as they usually do to explain the Committee's reasoning for the seeds/placing. The reporter said why was ND given the #1 #1 slot, and the CW said "because ND beat UCONN head-to-head on Jan. whatever!" The reporter said "but UCONN just beat ND in the BE Championship game and won the BE title!" And the CW said, "Did they?" Reporter: "Yes, Sue Bird hit a shot at the buzzer to win the BE for UCONN"! CW: OH!
I am 150% sure that that happened and nothing could be done so ND vs UCONN in semi's not Finals!
I just tried looking up on youtube the recording of the ESPN Seeding Show but no luck! Also tried looking up a newspaper article on the 2001 seeding still no luck!
Maybe another long time UCONN fan will also explain that scene with the Chairwoman!

You are absolutely correct, this did happen and I remember that distinctly. I could not believe that she did not know that.

Reaction Score
CBear01 and uconnell are correct - I read the same account in one of the books on UConn (perhaps "Bird at the Buzzer"?)

Reaction Score
CBear01 and uconnell are correct - I read the same account in one of the books on UConn (perhaps "Bird at the Buzzer"?)

You are absolutely correct, this did happen and I remember that distinctly. I could not believe that she did not know that.

uconnell & f1f1ferrari- - -CBear01 wrote that he couldn't believe the 2001 NCAA WCBB Committee Chairwoman wouldn't know that fact. Thanks to both of you for backing me up! I knew I wasn't going bonkers!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
uconnell & f1f1ferrari- - -CBear01 wrote that he couldn't believe the 2001 NCAA WCBB Committee Chairwoman wouldn't know that fact. Thanks to both of you for backing me up! I knew I wasn't going bonkers!

Yup, that was definitely a thing that happened. Her name is just at the edge of my memory. Maryalice something maybe? Maybe her last name started with a J?

Reaction Score
30 point turn around, in a half?? And that's not a disaster? Sounds pretty disastrous to me.
---Even the final 4 wasn't a disaster. It was being out coached and out played by Muffet---also she had Riley sit for much of the half and was not tired in the second half. The ball went into Riley time after time and she dished it off to- the same teammate time after time for easy layups. DT shot 15 3's and missed them--something I doubt she ever did in her career before or after.

Really bad game--
Riley who was a terrible passer and a black hole for the ball--learned how to pass. Even with this Riley caused Geno lots of pain.

I'm sure at the end of that game Geno thought his train hit a mountain---DISASTER.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
didn't say it was a disaster. but it was a blown chance to play in (and therefore possible to win) a national championship game. And of the ~5000 games/year played by D-1 teams, there is one game at the end of the season that everyone really, really want to be in. So, I suspect there are some folks in Storrs and beyond who do regret losing it.

And, while I appreciate that you're a true fan who really lives and knows WCBB and its finer points, if UConn had won that game, in the broadest sweep of history there would not have been a single loss to ND that would ultimately have been consequential.

No smoke please!! A few games, and I've seen most since 2001, stay in the mind. I am not a data nerd and can't recite chapter and verse. What you get is my failing memory.
The Final 4 game UC/lost to ND back in 2001 --was a case of Muffet taking her kids during the year and correcting many faults--and DT (I spoke to other fans that DT should have been miles away without a TV because she was on every channel being touted as Gods gift to Uconn--she was DT but a kid and something bothered her--she missed 15 3's) Riley sat in foul trouble for much of the first half and was rested for the second half. Three people took over for ND in the 2nd half--Riley, a forward and a shooting (3ball) guard (I could look them up but what for)--that was the difference.
The (approaching) disasters were the games UC/ND played more recently --Uconn could have should have won at least 3 of them.
Geno has made mistakes, just to prove he is human, and the Final 4 ND game was one of them.
If I insulted you with "No Disaster" my apology---If you want to see disaster--look at the Final 4 last year and ask yourself where did these guys come from???

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
---Even the final 4 wasn't a disaster. It was being out coached and out played by Muffet---also she had Riley sit for much of the half and was not tired in the second half. The ball went into Riley time after time and she dished it off to- the same teammate time after time for easy layups. DT shot 15 3's and missed them--something I doubt she ever did in her career before or after.

Really bad game--
Riley who was a terrible passer and a black hole for the ball--learned how to pass. Even with this Riley caused Geno lots of pain.

I'm sure at the end of that game Geno thought his train hit a mountain---DISASTER.

Hey there...
You're spot on about MM sitting Riley in the first half. RR came out much stronger in the seond half.

And an Irish frontcourt player did have the most assists that semi-final game, but it was actually Riley's power forward buddy, Kelly Siemon, who had 6 of them, followed by shooting guard Alicia Ratay, who had 5. Ratay and her backcourt mate, one Niele Ivey, led the Irish in scoring with 20 and 21 points, respectively. Ratay shot 4-5 and Ivey 3-5 from 3-pt. range.

What I remember about the game for UConn was DT going 1-15 overall from the field and 0-11 from the 3-pt line.
Here's the boxscore: Notre Dame 90, Connecticut 75

In the championship, Siemon again had 6 assists, a number of which went to Riley, who went for 28 in the final against Purdue. In that game, it was the Irish frontcourt -- Riley, Siemon and Ericka Haney -- that had the better shooting game.
Notre Dame 68, Purdue 66

Siemon and Haney were very good complements to Riley. I saw them a lot that year and they worked well together, field-marshalled by Ivey and aided by Ratay, who could -- and did -- get on some unconscious rolls from 3-pt. land.

Reaction Score
Hey there...
You're spot on about MM sitting Riley in the first half. RR came out much stronger in the seond half.

And an Irish frontcourt player did have the most assists that semi-final game, but it was actually Riley's power forward buddy, Kelly Siemon, who had 6 of them, followed by shooting guard Alicia Ratay, who had 5. Ratay and her backcourt mate, one Niele Ivey, led the Irish in scoring with 20 and 21 points, respectively. Ratay shot 4-5 and Ivey 3-5 from 3-pt. range.

What I remember about the game for UConn was DT going 1-15 overall from the field and 0-11 from the 3-pt line.
Here's the boxscore: Notre Dame 90, Connecticut 75

In the championship, Siemon again had 6 assists, a number of which went to Riley, who went for 28 in the final against Purdue. In that game, it was the Irish frontcourt -- Riley, Siemon and Ericka Haney -- that had the better shooting game.
Notre Dame 68, Purdue 66

Siemon and Haney were very good complements to Riley. I saw them a lot that year and they worked well together, field-marshalled by Ivey and aided by Ratay, who could -- and did -- get on some unconscious rolls from 3-pt. land.

Thanks it was Siemons that Riley was dishing to--and Rattay (Rat tie) (I liked her--she was a quiet assassin ) Haney and Seimons had great night because of Rileys increased passing ability. I thought this game was Seimons best game -- Riley too.
Thanks for clearing ups the lost names. I followed the ND teams back then, they were easier --they got more tV time then.
One more fact check for me please--who was the ND WBB player that was wounded in Afghanistan or Iraq.

When ever did DT do that badly before or after this game??

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks it was Siemons that Riley was dishing to--and Rattay (Rat tie) (I liked her--she was a quiet assassin ) Haney and Seimons had great night because of Rileys increased passing ability. I thought this game was Seimons best game -- Riley too.
Thanks for clearing ups the lost names. I followed the ND teams back then, they were easier --they got more tV time then.
One more fact check for me please--who was the ND WBB player that was wounded in Afghanistan or Iraq.

When ever did DT do that badly before or after this game??

That was Danielle Green. Here's an article on her: ESPY for Notre Dame basketball standout who lost arm in Iraq

Agreed -- I've never seen DT -- before or since -- have a game like that.

I got to see ND a lot then because they played in the Big East and several locales -- Seton Hall, Rutgers and St. John's -- were all within an hour's drive time. And getting to UConn or Villanova wasn't much of a stretch if the game fell on a weekend. Plus -- as you said -- there were less great teams for producers/schedulers to put on television. And UConn and ND were certainly two of them, aong with Stanford and Tennessee.

Kelly Siemon was a rugged player, but that made sense -- her dad was Jeff Siemon, the former Stanford and Viking linebacker.

Reaction Score
didn't say it was a disaster. but it was a blown chance to play in (and therefore possible to win) a national championship game. And of the ~5000 games/year played by D-1 teams, there is one game at the end of the season that everyone really, really want to be in. So, I suspect there are some folks in Storrs and beyond who do regret losing it.

And, while I appreciate that you're a true fan who really lives and knows WCBB and its finer points, if UConn had won that game, in the broadest sweep of history there would not have been a single loss to ND that would ultimately have been consequential.

While I am a (I believe) a true UConn WBB fan I don't live this, until Nov then I can't wait between games, I actually have a life beyond the BY and Uconn WBB. I appreciate that you said good words and didn't hand me my head on a platter.
I don't think a loss is a disaster--however, Geno hates to lose and so do I--some top coach once said--show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser--not completely true but it has many believers.

I dislike posters who put in their own words of use a selective word to make their point--if I did --I was wrong--that was wrong. Call me on it anytime I may slip up and do that. I don't like nitpickers --yet I've been guilty of that terrible trait.

Reaction Score

While I am a (I believe) a true UConn WBB fan I don't live this, until Nov then I can't wait between games, I actually have a life beyond the BY and Uconn WBB. I appreciate that you said good words and didn't hand me my head on a platter.
I don't think a loss is a disaster--however, Geno hates to lose and so do I--some top coach once said--show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser--not completely true but it has many believers.

I dislike posters who put in their own words of use a selective word to make their point--if I did --I was wrong--that was wrong. Call me on it anytime I may slip up and do that. I don't like nitpickers --yet I've been guilty of that terrible trait.

Reaction Score
Obsession is not a bad thing until it is! There is more of that excuse making loser mentality again: "Sometimes the best team doesn't win."-really? Name the game that : "U Conn lost some games they were suppose to win" and UCONN will gladly say congrats to the other team not make excuses. You don't have to "guess" about Baylor and SC not wanting any parts of UCONN-those are document facts. Baylor took UCONN off the schedule until Stewie graduated and SC got beat down at home by UCONN a few weeks earlier. [ QUOTE = " South Bend Cane post: S.C. , Baylor nor N.D. lost because they were looking ahead to U Conn. You keep saying im making excuses yet your using over looking a team and looking ahead to another one . Isnt that a excuse? Are you really saying some times the better team loses is a excuse. Its a proven fact. Even the mighty Conn has lost games they were favored in. I remember them losing to ST Johns in The Old Big East and Stanford ended their 90 game streak. They were favored vs N.D. probably all 8 times they lost to them. Notre Dame lost to Stanford because they got out played. But they would beat them at least 8 of 10 times. Stanford had a bad season and was struggling shooting the ball all year but hit everything that night. They just had a good night. Them getting smashed by Washington the next game and being ice cold proves it. ( Or were they overlooking them for U Conn LOL) These things happen. N.C. State beat Houston and Villanova beat Georgetown in the mens championship as heavy underdogs as well. N.D. had won several close games last year against Depaul, Oregon ST and Ohio ST to name a few. Their luck finally ran out. Baylor had a weak schedule and were not battle tested and it bit them in the rear. South Carolina is big but not a balanced team. They dont shoot the ball that well. These are called weaknesses not excuses and all 3 teams got exposed. U Conn had no weaknesses and thats why they won the title. This year they are vulnerable. They are young and they dont have bigs that can dominate inside and shoot outside like Stewie and Tuck. They also will have a new less experienced point guard instead of a battle tested All American like Mo Jeff. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. These 4 teams should start the season as the top 4 teams and several teams are close behind. This should be the most parity the game has had in a long time if ever. Im looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Svet was injured against Syracuse in regular season!! Shea was hurt with 5 minutes left in the 1st half of the BE Championship game! Bird was a gametime decision because of her back! You could see her holding her back the whole game because of the pain and she still hit 2 shots at the buzzer! As for NDs win at ND The Irish shot 46 free throws compared to 13 for Uconn! What is wrong with that picture?

Svet was injured against Tennessee in the regular season.

Reaction Score
CBear01- - - On the WCBB Seeding Show on ESPN whoever was doing the reporting/showing the brackets brought on the Chairwoman, as they usually do to explain the Committee's reasoning for the seeds/placing. The reporter said why was ND given the #1 #1 slot, and the CW said "because ND beat UCONN head-to-head on Jan. whatever!" The reporter said "but UCONN just beat ND in the BE Championship game and won the BE title!" And the CW said, "Did they?" Reporter: "Yes, Sue Bird hit a shot at the buzzer to win the BE for UCONN"! CW: OH!
I am 150% sure that that happened and nothing could be done so ND vs UCONN in semi's not Finals!
I just tried looking up on youtube the recording of the ESPN Seeding Show but no luck! Also tried looking up a newspaper article on the 2001 seeding still no luck!
Maybe another long time UCONN fan will also explain that scene with the Chairwoman!
Well one team won by a buzzer beater and the other by double digits. Both at home. Maybe N.D. winning by more was the deciding factor along with U Conn having key injuries.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
The old shoulda, coulda, woulda arguments going on. Just like saying players who have never played a minute of college basketball will be better than those who have.

Reaction Score
Well one team won by a buzzer beater and the other by double digits. Both at home. Maybe N.D. winning by more was the deciding factor along with U Conn having key injuries.

southbendcane- - - - No matter what happened earlier had no bearing on wrong seeding by a brain-dead Committee. By winning the BE Tournament UCONN was the Conference Champion and should have been placed #1 #1! Each team should have been placed on different sides of the brackets, to meet only in the Finals not the Semi's! And Geno doesn't lose Finals!
And I repeat what I said above, If Shea and Svet were healthy being Seniors, AA's and Captains, UCONN doesn't lose a 15 point lead in the 2nd 1/2 and DT wouldn't have been 1 for 15 and The Muffett is still searching for her 1st NCAA Title, crying that she gets no respect!
A coach doesn't demand respect, a coach earns respect!

Reaction Score
46 free throws to 13 for Uconn. What does that say,Homejob.

Reaction Score
Didnt ND and Uconn finish 1 & 2 in the country in 2001. If ND was the top no.1 seed then they would get the worst no.1 on their side of the bracket to play in the semis. Not sure of the other 2 but it was between Georgia, Tennessee or Duke. One of these teams should have been the fourth no.1 seed not Uconn. Uconn was the new power and just came off a Nc where they spanked Tenn. and wanted the Huskies to have the hardest road to a Championship. Imo WCBB still didnt give Geno and his program the respect they deserved at that time! How did that work out for all of you?

Reaction Score
Didnt ND and Uconn finish 1 & 2 in the country in 2001. If ND was the top no.1 seed then they would get the worst no.1 on their side of the bracket to play in the semis. Not sure of the other 2 but it was between Georgia, Tennessee or Duke. One of these teams should have been the fourth no.1 seed not Uconn. Uconn was the new power and just came off a Nc where they spanked Tenn. and wanted the Huskies to have the hardest road to a Championship. Imo WCBB still didnt give Geno and his program the respect they deserved at that time! How did that work out for all of you?

cbraarj- - The two teams on the other side of the bracket vs ND & UCONN were Purdue & SoMoSt. ND beat Purdue for the Championship! UCONN should have been placed #1 #1 and ND should have been #2 #1, Purdue was a #3 in TN's bracket, and SoMoSt was a #5 in Duke's bracket. If they were ranked before the FF, UCONN was #1, ND was #2, Purdue was #3, & SoMoSt was #4!
This is what I wrote above in reply to southbendcane:

southbendcane- - - - No matter what happened earlier had no bearing on wrong seeding by a brain-dead Committee. By winning the BE Tournament UCONN was the Conference Champion and should have been placed #1 #1! Each team should have been placed on different sides of the brackets, to meet only in the Finals not the Semi's! And Geno doesn't lose Finals!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Cane post: S.C. , Baylor nor N.D. lost because they were looking ahead to U Conn. You keep saying im making excuses yet your using over looking a team and looking ahead to another one . Isnt that a excuse? Are you really saying some times the better team loses is a excuse. Its a proven fact. Even the mighty Conn has lost games they were favored in. I remember them losing to ST Johns in The Old Big East and Stanford ended their 90 game streak. They were favored vs N.D. probably all 8 times they lost to them. Notre Dame lost to Stanford because they got out played. But they would beat them at least 8 of 10 times. Stanford had a bad season and was struggling shooting the ball all year but hit everything that night. They just had a good night. Them getting smashed by Washington the next game and being ice cold proves it. ( Or were they overlooking them for U Conn LOL) These things happen. N.C. State beat Houston and Villanova beat Georgetown in the mens championship as heavy underdogs as well. N.D. had won several close games last year against Depaul, Oregon ST and Ohio ST to name a few. Their luck finally ran out. Baylor had a weak schedule and were not battle tested and it bit them in the rear. South Carolina is big but not a balanced team. They dont shoot the ball that well. These are called weaknesses not excuses and all 3 teams got exposed. U Conn had no weaknesses and thats why they won the title. This year they are vulnerable. They are young and they dont have bigs that can dominate inside and shoot outside like Stewie and Tuck. They also will have a new less experienced point guard instead of a battle tested All American like Mo Jeff. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. These 4 teams should start the season as the top 4 teams and several teams are close behind. This should be the most parity the game has had in a long time if ever. Im looking forward to it.

"Notre Dame lost to Stanford because they got out played."-
That's Reality.
" ND lost to Stanford ,but ND was the better team=a big old excuse!
"ND beat UCONN=
That's reality -rarely.
"ND beat UCONN because the referees did not call the game correctly=a big old excuse!
A favored team losing to an underdog? That is called sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom