Ray Allen with some strong words on UConn.. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ray Allen with some strong words on UConn..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Curious because I can only assume you are a graduate or at least care about UConm as a whole. Why does cutting funding to UConn police department mean a death sentence but when we cut funding to education we still expect the same standards applied?
I am a graduate and have worked for years bringing private funding to the University in the limited ways that I can. I never said that cutting the police is a death sentence. I said that it will lead to more crime. You can’t have it both ways. When you cut funding to education, opportunities for some will be lost. If you cut too much the reputation of the institution will be lost resulting in long term damage that is difficult to undue. If you cut police crime will increase, if you cut too much crime will become the story and the damage to the reputation of the institution will also occur. UConn has been fortunate with a low incident of violent crime. I want that to continue.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah, it was a significantly tone deaf comment by Ray in the #metoo era. Parents want to know their children are safe while away at campus and spending money on security guards is going to help keep their children more safe than reducing security guard salary and providing a rowing or cross country scholarship.
Safety on campus is much more than just roving patrols but it's a big consideration for many parents when deciding where to send their little Suzy off to college.

Yeah it’s soooo scary out there. If you have a problem with being scared on a college campus maybe you should examine where our country is and why.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Yeah, it was a significantly tone deaf comment by Ray in the #metoo era. Parents want to know their children are safe while away at campus and spending money on security guards is going to help keep their children more safe than reducing security guard salary and providing a rowing or cross country scholarship.
Safety on campus is much more than just roving patrols but it's a big consideration for many parents when deciding where to send their little Suzy off to college.
Perhaps underlying what Ray is suggesting and what many black UConn students are stating on IG is less cops the better, particularly if they're being persistently harassed.

Same frustrating comments about cops and blacks no matter where you go in this country, no matter what campus, city, state, whatever. Its persistent, its tiring, it has to stop. So, whatever it takes it has to stop. Less funding, shifting funding, retraining. Reshaping hearts and minds, whatever. And Suzy is fine. She will always be fine.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
From a factual standpoint, what Ray said was incorrect. The University came out and specifically denounced this notion. I feel like it doesn't really need to be read into more than that.

August_West

Reaction Score
From a factual standpoint, what Ray said was incorrect. The University came out and specifically denounced this notion. I feel like it doesn't really need to be read into more than that.
Denounced it how?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
That's interesting, do you have a link to the poll?
Nope, it was weeks ago. I posted it at the time it came out.

C

Chief00

If you’re looking to cut costs on a college campus, security is about the 23,473rd place you should look.
Agree. If the police budget is 0.5% of the total - cutting the standard amount of fat any state agency maintains, is not going to meaningfully impact the overall University cut needed.
Now that Ray has opened the door by his public criticisms, Chief will bring up an issue I usually don’t bring up, since I consider it a private matter. Maybe Ray can donate money to help those teams?
Maybe Ray can convince his friend KO, to drop his $10M lawsuit against the university? That would open the door up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It's amazing how many people can't read, or just choose not to. He didn't say UConn should have no police, he said they shouldn't be adding 20 new positions while they're making cuts elsewhere
Look at the first sentence in the post above yours. Some people cannot write with well either.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I just want to enjoy sports without the political overtones. Am I asking to much?

Ray has the connection to found out anything he wants without Twitter.
Look, that's not going to happen. Enjoy in mute if you'd like. The major sports are dominated by black athletes. Provided they begin speaking out about issues that directly impact their lives, well bully for them.

Reaction Score
Sometimes people post frustration to draw attention or too let off steam. Ray was upset and being a famous alumni, wanted everyone to know why. His conviction (and allegiance) is to UConn Sports while police budgets are being scrutinized all over the Nation. To me he was sticking up for the student athletes which there is no right or wrong, its his heart.

At least he got UConn to publicly justify, and further the discussion/scrutiny. Perhaps his mission is accomplished in that the discontinued sports won't 'die' silently.

Reaction Score
License to Carry permits are way up. Less security and less policing leads to more taking responsibility for their own personal security

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Look, that's not going to happen. Enjoy in mute if you'd like. The major sports are dominated by black athletes. Provided they begin speaking out about issues that directly impact their lives, well bully for them.

I just won’t watch and downvote any content that supports such stupidity. Being born with great talent doesn’t mean they have a clue about public policy.

C

Chief00

I like it that ex players care and get involved with the University. It doesn't matter if I agree with everything they say. Over the years, I have had some great conversation about important issues with ex players and if we agree or disagree, I find it has no impact on our relationships.

Reaction Score
Police unions are hugely powerful and by far the biggest obstacle to any sort of police reform.
I'll probably get blasted for this, but Unions are just a babysitting service for people that can't do their job in the way it's supposed to be done.

Reaction Score
S
But it's not and he's being intentionally dishonest with his claims. Nobody is asking mental health professionals to go confront people when they're committing a crime. The idea is letting police confront crimes and letting psychiatrists deal with mental health issues, rehabs deal with drug issues, etc.
Sounds like the money issues won't go away, it'll just go from one building on campus to another. Doesn't save a dime.

August_West

Reaction Score
I just want to enjoy sports without the political overtones. Am I asking to much?

Ray has the connection to found out anything he wants without Twitter.

Yup it is asking too much

Athletes are people exercising their first amendment rights.

Why do you hate the constitution?

They are people , not your windup toy created for your enjoyment. Get over it or get out.

Reaction Score
I'll probably get blasted for this, but Unions are just a babysitting service for people that can't do their job in the way it's supposed to be done.
Checks and balances. Unions often over reach. Without unions management often abuses workers’ rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom