Ray Allen with some strong words on UConn.. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ray Allen with some strong words on UConn..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess that's fair, so I'm not surprised opponents of it jump to the 5% definition over the 95% definition

Those 5% are the most vocal and obnoxious people that claim they are going to get what they want or they will burn down the system.

Reaction Score
At this time America , unions have very little power
But the coaches can't offer give backs because they are members of the CBA. And you don't think unions have very little power? How about the teachers union in every city? State employee unions? Professor unions on most campuses? MLB union? It's the retirement packages unions have negotiated over the years that have caused cities to be broke. I have in-laws who were both teachers and they make more in retirement than they did teaching and free health insurance for the rest of their lives. Don't tell me unions have no power. I have been on both both sides in negotiations and believe me they have power.

Reaction Score
Those 5% are the most vocal and obnoxious people that claim they are going to get what they want or they will burn down the system.
They might be, but I'm not even sure I buy this argument to be honest. I'm one of the biggest proponents of the movement on this board and am involved with trying to make it happen, and if I'm being honest I wouldn't even see the extremist views if it weren't for opponents bringing it up. They talk and nobody listens

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
. A large number of POC want less policing in their lives, I can tell you that for sure.
Probably, but a poll I posted in the cesspool showed that greater than 60% of black Americans are in favor of more policing in their communities.

Reaction Score
Probably, but a poll I posted in the cesspool showed that greater than 60% of black Americans are in favor of more policing in their communities.
I know plenty of inner city minorities in Hartford, new haven, Bridgeport they more or less universally want more policing and think there hasn't been enough policing in many years. You can't have things both ways. The issue isn't the # of police it's the training, accountability, and actions being taken.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

That's interesting, do you have a link to the poll?

Reaction Score
I know plenty of inner city minorities in Hartford, new haven, Bridgeport they more or less universally want more policing and think there hasn't been enough policing in many years. You can't have things both ways. The issue isn't the # of police it's the training, accountability, and actions being taken.

I have talked to a few friends from Hartford and Bloomfield that say they want greater investment in their communities but without decreasing police presence. In short they want better policing with greater community investment.

Reaction Score
We need better policing and they need to be held accountable but getting rid of or cutting the numbers of police is a terrible idea. It will make life much more dangerous for black and brown neighborhoods. There needs to be reform but we're in a really bad spot now with cops quitting, sitting on their hands because they feel they're being sold out etc. It will be really tricky to reform and still maintain safe streets. I expect a significant rise in violent crime for many inner cities in the interim.

Reaction Score
UConn’s police cheif makes more than the chief of the NYPD #themoreyouknow
Wow, at first I didn't believe this but did some quick googling. I found some 2011 articles that showed the Uconn Police Chief made 250K+, while his second in command makes 211K+ (just imagine what the pension cost will be) while the NYC Police Commissioner made 226K+ in 2018. Perhaps some of these bloated salaries are part of the problem

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
The original Instagram post is riddled with misspellings and reads like a piece of internet propaganda. Regardless of the issues it refers to it seems outlandish that anyone could take it seriously.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So between this and his role in the KO controversy, is it safe to say we're cancelling Ray now?

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Have there been any incidents of police brutality or overuse of power at UConn? If not, then idk what the big deal is. Like UConn said they aren’t spending that much on this much needed form of security anyways when looked at in the grand scheme of things.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
That being said, they really need to reinstate the mental health care stuff. No guidance for kids is horrible, and the presence of guidance could have prevented the few incidents in the past year.

Reaction Score
If UConn tried to replace cops with social workers, the social workers would get laughed in their face whenever they had to interact with a college student. Absolutely no one would respect them if they had no ability to actually get you in trouble with the law lmao

Reaction Score
Thank god this isn’t a post about a certain former ex-coach.

Granted, I haven’t read all of the replies, so I don’t know what you turkeys might’ve turned this thread into.

Reaction Score
If UConn tried to replace cops with social workers, the social workers would get laughed in their face whenever they had to interact with a college student. Absolutely no one would respect them if they had no ability to actually get you in trouble with the law lmao
Yeah that's not the idea but go off

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Yeah that's not the idea but go off
The sentiment is correct though that there's no viable replacement for law enforcement on college campuses. A lot of college kids of course want less police on campus but once you get to a certain age you start to understand the necessity.

Reaction Score
The sentiment is correct though that there's no viable replacement for law enforcement on college campuses. A lot of college kids of course want less police on campus but once you get to a certain age you start to understand the necessity.
But it's not and he's being intentionally dishonest with his claims. Nobody is asking mental health professionals to go confront people when they're committing a crime. The idea is letting police confront crimes and letting psychiatrists deal with mental health issues, rehabs deal with drug issues, etc.

Reaction Score
Ray also fails to note that that the revenue loss to the University by the shutdown due to the Corona virus is the catalyst for the cuts in sports. The University has been dealing with cuts in support from the state for over a decade. He points the finger at the wrong place. The ability of the University to survive as a top public University has been due to tuition increases and program underwriting by donors who believe in the mission. It is not a failure in UConn’s leadership as much as it is the state’s leadership. That being said the worst decisions of the last 25 years were hiring Jeff Hathaway as athletic director, followed by hiring Ward Manuel as athletic director. Those decisions led to the destruction of the football program by Paul Pascaloni and Bob Diaco. The down turn in men’s basketball via Kevin Ollie. The revenue loss caused by those decisions would have been enough to save these other programs. Dave Benedict has shown courage and competence and is righting the ship.

Those calling for less police are calling for more crime in my mind and should understand that and accept responsibility for it when the inevitable happens.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Those decisions led to the destruction of the football program by Paul Pascaloni and Bob Diaco. The down turn in men’s basketball via Kevin Ollie. The revenue loss caused by those decisions would have been enough to save these other programs. Dave Benedict has shown courage and competence and is righting the ship.
Ollie was Calhoun's handpicked successor, no AD was going to shut that down. Agree with the rest though.

Reaction Score
Ray also fails to note that that the revenue loss to the University by the shutdown due to the Corona virus is the catalyst for the cuts in sports. The University has been dealing with cuts in support from the state for over a decade. He points the finger at the wrong place. The ability of the University to survive as a top public University has been due to tuition increases and program underwriting by donors who believe in the mission. It is not a failure in UConn’s leadership as much as it is the state’s leadership. That being said the worst decisions of the last 25 years were hiring Jeff Hathaway as athletic director, followed by hiring Ward Manuel as athletic director. Those decisions led to the destruction of the football program by Paul Pascaloni and Bob Diaco. The down turn in men’s basketball via Kevin Ollie. The revenue loss caused by those decisions would have been enough to save these other programs. Dave Benedict has shown courage and competence and is righting the ship.

Those calling for less police are calling for more crime in my mind and should understand that and accept responsibility for it when the inevitable happens.
Curious because I can only assume you are a graduate or at least care about UConm as a whole. Why does cutting funding to UConn police department mean a death sentence but when we cut funding to education we still expect the same standards applied?

Reaction Score
Wow, at first I didn't believe this but did some quick googling. I found some 2011 articles that showed the Uconn Police Chief made 250K+, while his second in command makes 211K+ (just imagine what the pension cost will be) while the NYC Police Commissioner made 226K+ in 2018. Perhaps some of these bloated salaries are part of the problem
The pensions are an even bigger problem. Completely out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom