Ray Allen with some strong words on UConn.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ray Allen with some strong words on UConn..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Absolutely, but you and others created some false narrative that Ray was saying sports are more important than campus safety and ran with it

Obviously you other misread or didn't read Ray's response. He directly compared campus security officer employment to athletic scholarships. Regardless of how/why you didn't know what Ray wrote, there wasn't a false narrative.

Ray was the one who wrote "What does this say to our students? We would rather hire more police than give all our athletes a platform to grow."

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Exactly, so Ray's entire post is based on a lie. I love the dude to death and will aways appreciate what he brought to this program/university but this is just a dumb post.

The world in 2020, it's bizarre

I can think of a million ways Ray can help the University, this isn't one of them

Reaction Score
Absolutely, but you and others created some false narrative that Ray was saying sports are more important than campus safety and ran with it

Allow me to clarify. Ray says cuts to the UConn PD are essential but then expresses his displeasure with cutting any sports. To me this is just crazy. A safe and secure campus is perhaps THE most important thing and resources should be allocated to ensuring that over sports that lose the university money. I didn't think this would make me sound crazy, but I think funding a police department that ensures the safety of our students is more important than rowing/swimming/tennis/cross country scholarships.

Reaction Score
Obviously you other misread or didn't read Ray's response. He directly compared campus security officer employment to athletic scholarships. Regardless of how/why you didn't know what Ray wrote, there wasn't a false narrative.

Ray was the one who wrote "What does this say to our students? We would rather hire more police than give all our athletes a platform to grow."
Re-read your quote from Ray. We would rather hire *MORE* police. The fact that you think the solution to issues with safety on campus is just throw more police out and not address the actual issues is telling

Reaction Score
Allow me to clarify. Ray says cuts to the UConn PD are essential but then expresses his displeasure with cutting any sports. To me this is just crazy. A safe and secure campus is perhaps THE most important thing and resources should be allocated to ensuring that over sports that lose the university money. I didn't think this would make me sound crazy, but I think funding a police department that ensures the safety of our students is more important than rowing/swimming/tennis/cross country scholarships.
My response to you is basically the same as it was to Chin above. Just throwing more police out instead of addressing the actual issues with campus safety is not a solution. I've already had the discussion with you in the cesspool where this belongs and how you are just fundamentally misunderstanding what people want when they say to cut funding. You did it then and you posted all the same stuff again now

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yeah, it was a significantly tone deaf comment by Ray in the #metoo era. Parents want to know their children are safe while away at campus and spending money on security guards is going to help keep their children more safe than reducing security guard salary and providing a rowing or cross country scholarship.
Safety on campus is much more than just roving patrols but it's a big consideration for many parents when deciding where to send their little Suzy off to college.
Tone deaf and uninformed as it turns out. Isn’t Ray on the board? Couldn’t he get answers to these questions before he posts?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

This is simple, really, and why the arguments in this thread won't go anywhere. To most white people, more police = more security, and to most black people, more police = more abuse. It's not crazy for Ray to say this if, in his mind, safety for him and people that look like him means fewer police.

Reaction Score
My response to you is basically the same as it was to Chin above. Just throwing more police out instead of addressing the actual issues with campus safety is not a solution. I've already had the discussion with you in the cesspool where this belongs and how you are just fundamentally misunderstanding what people want when they say to cut funding. You did it then and you posted all the same stuff again now

I'm not implying to throw out more police. I'm advocating against cutting police in favor of scholarships for sports that lose the university money. I don't see how that's controversial.

Slightly unrelated, but I also find it funny how some want to cut police funding in favor of community investment and just hope that pans out. How about cutting unnecessary spending (something other than police), invest THAT into our communities, and then if crime goes down we can reduce the number of police. I don't see why it's an either or scenario. We can invest in our communities without cutting police. And if those investments in turn reduce crime, the need for police will naturally decline. I think it's foolish to just reduce police funding in favor of community without knowing the repercussions of doing so.

Reaction Score
This is simple, really, and why the arguments in this thread won't go anywhere. To most white people, more police = more security, and to most black people, more police = more abuse. It's not crazy for Ray to say this if, in his mind, safety for him and people that look like him means fewer police.

Again, never have I argued for more police on this site. If Ray feels safer with fewer police, is that just the end of the discussion? Ray Allen wants less police so let's have less police? I'm in favor of things like having mental health professionals responding to calls for mental health issues and suicidal people, but police will always play a role in the safety of society. I don't think there's an question of if we need better policing. We do. But to me it's scary that so many people think having less police funding and better community investment is going to solve the issue of inequality/crime.

Reaction Score
I'm not implying to throw out more police. I'm advocating against cutting police in favor of scholarships for sports that lose the university money. I don't see how that's controversial.

Slightly unrelated, but I also find it funny how some want to cut police funding in favor of community investment and just hope that pans out. How about cutting unnecessary spending (something other than police), invest THAT into our communities, and then if crime goes down we can reduce the number of police. I don't see why it's an either or scenario. We can invest in our communities without cutting police. And if those investments in turn reduce crime, the need for police will naturally decline. I think it's foolish to just reduce police funding in favor of community without knowing the repercussions of doing so.
But we have an example of that in Camden and how cutting funding doesn't even necessarily mean less police. People get all caught up in the title and don't bother to actually look at plans. Defund and before that abolish are not perfect names because it's impossible to simplify a plan into 3 words and tell the whole story. I don't mean to single you out but you're making the same judgement others do when you assume cutting funding = cutting police.

Regarding the second point of why it's police funding and not other funding that's being brought up I suggest you look at @Rico444 's post a few up. He nails the difference of opinion there. And that's not to say you're completely off, we should be looking at all areas to find where we're overspending, not just police

Reaction Score
Tone deaf and uninformed as it turns out. Isn’t Ray on the board? Couldn’t he get answers to these questions before he posts?

He’s on the board of the UConn Foundation not the Board of Trustees. I would imagine he could get any answers he really wants irrespective with one phone call

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
to most white people, more police = more security, and to most black people, more police = more abuse.

Totally baseless statement
Go ask a majority of those who live in the Harlem section of NYC if they want more or less police - you will be surprised how wrong your statement is. I work closely with many residents and business owners in the North end of Hartford as well as the Parkville/Frog Hollow section- they want more police presence - the people who call to end the police departments, etc are not from there and are politically motivated to sing this tune
If you ask a majority of parents who pay these tuition bills what they prefer - more safety for their children or more money for athletics - what do you think their answer would be?
I'm not arguing about the pay for the UConn police - I have no idea about that but in a place as large as UConn that is open to outside traffic, etc - to have a lesser presence is ridiculous
Ray is a great basketball player and a great ambassador for the program - he should continue to do so
OK - lets talk basketball or take this to the cesspool

Reaction Score
But we have an example of that in Camden and how cutting funding doesn't even necessarily mean less police. People get all caught up in the title and don't bother to actually look at plans. Defund and before that abolish are not perfect names because it's impossible to simplify a plan into 3 words and tell the whole story. I don't mean to single you out but you're making the same judgement others do when you assume cutting funding = cutting police.

Regarding the second point of why it's police funding and not other funding that's being brought up I suggest you look at @Rico444 's post a few up. He nails the difference of opinion there. And that's not to say you're completely off, we should be looking at all areas to find where we're overspending, not just police

OK, but don't think that your idea of "defunding" is the only one out there. Please read the NYTimes article on abolishing police and tell me that some people don't want there to be no more police. Plenty of people want that and that's scary.

Reaction Score
OK, but don't think that your idea of "defunding" is the only one out there. Please read the NYTimes article on abolishing police and tell me that some people don't want there to be no more police. Plenty of people want that and that's scary.
Of course, you can find a group of people who want just about anything. That group of people who want to fully abolish the police are so small it's not even worth considering, especially when they have 0 chance of ever making that happen

Reaction Score
Of course, you can find a group of people who want just about anything. That group of people who want to fully abolish the police are so small it's not even worth considering, especially when they have 0 chance of ever making that happen

Right, but when you say things like "most people don't know what defunding means," that's too broad of a statement. Not everyone in favor of defunding has the same idea as you.

Reaction Score
Right, but when you say things like "most people don't know what defunding means," that's too broad of a statement. Not everyone in favor of defunding has the same idea as you.
I guess that's fair, so I'm not surprised opponents of it jump to the 5% definition over the 95% definition

Reaction Score
I don't think that you want to use the "sports that lose money" narrative because I think that an odd shaped ball sport loses money by the truckload.

Reaction Score
Oh so the entire premise of abolishing the UConn Police (hiring 20 officers while cutting 4 sports) that I have seen online (they have an online petition based on this premise) the past couple weeks was a total lie? Shocker.

Lots of people ready to eliminate jobs of completely innocent middle class people and for what? Look at the instagram post and read the comments. Every grievance you can imagine. Should we go through the list of majors offered at UConn and abolish the ones that we deem not needed?

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
to most white people, more police = more security, and to most black people, more police = more abuse.

Totally baseless statement
Go ask a majority of those who live in the Harlem section of NYC if they want more or less police - you will be surprised how wrong your statement is. I work closely with many residents and business owners in the North end of Hartford as well as the Parkville/Frog Hollow section- they want more police presence - the people who call to end the police departments, etc are not from there and are politically motivated to sing this tune

First of all, I never said all black people equate more police with more abuse, just most. A large number of POC want less policing in their lives, I can tell you that for sure.

If you ask a majority of parents who pay these tuition bills what they prefer - more safety for their children or more money for athletics - what do you think their answer would be?

Again, more money for police does not mean more safety, especially in the broken system of policing.

I'm not arguing about the pay for the UConn police - I have no idea about that but in a place as large as UConn that is open to outside traffic, etc - to have a lesser presence is ridiculous

This assumes that there is currently a need for more officers, or that there aren't already too many.

Ray is a great basketball player and a great ambassador for the program - he should continue to do so

Agreed, although I'm not sure why you underlined the word 'program.'

OK - lets talk basketball or take this to the cesspool

Any time you want to come to the Cesspool to broaden your horizons, you're welcome to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom