Ray Allen with some strong words on UConn.. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Ray Allen with some strong words on UConn..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll probably get blasted for this, but Unions are just a babysitting service for people that can't do their job in the way it's supposed to be done.
Imagine a working environment where the employee has absolutely no rights, protection or representation, and where a company is practically licensed to put profits over employees with impunity.

I'm not pro-union, or anti-union, but I realize that unions have a purpose and without them companies would be neglectful of the workplace or the workers, especially blue collar workplaces.

Corporations have lobbyists, and workers have unions. Proper balance.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yup it is asking too much

Athletes are people exercising their first amendment rights.

Why do you hate the constitution?

They are people , not your windup toy created for your enjoyment. Get over it or get out.
Ray can say whatever he wants, especially about a governmental agency. Some people here are suggesting that it probably would’ve been better work for him actually to take a minute and look into the subject matter of his post, which was glaringly inaccurate. But agree with you 100% “free speech” doesn’t necessarily mean “informed speech.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Imagine a working environment where the employee has absolutely no rights, protection or representation, and where a company is practically licensed to put profits over employees with impunity.

I'm not pro-union, or anti-union, but I realize that unions have a purpose and without them companies would be neglectful of the workplace or the workers, especially blue collar workplaces.

Corporations have lobbyists, and workers have unions. Proper balance.
Unions long ago outlived their function. Today’s labor laws already do everything unions were first organized to do ... safer work conditions, fair wages, maximum work hours, over time ...they especially have no place in the public employee realm.

Reaction Score
Unions long ago outlived their function. Today’s labor laws already do everything unions were first organized to do ... safer work conditions, fair wages, maximum work hours, over time ...they especially have no place in the public employee realm.
Take another look around. Labor laws are being shredded. 'Right to work' is an employer's dream.

Reaction Score
While I admit I am out of touch with unions in the workplace and was speaking of long time ago experiences, I do know that labor laws are pretty much in effect. But one thing that unions still are relevant is providing workers with legal representation as part of their dues. Again not sure of how beneficial that is but to know that an employee won't have out of pocket expenses when dealing with grievances, does matter no matter the case. Other than legal representation, I admit don't know what significant value unions bring, especially with so much technology and less manual labor out there.

I also am very much aware of the prolific misuse of funds/power of union leaders especially in the realm of politics representing themselves vs workers. Also I know unions are a major reason (i.e. wages/benefits) of jobs shifting out of the Country. Be interesting to see those worksites compared with American ones. Unions have been effective in getting employees better benefits (e.g. healthcare, retirements, paid time off, etc.), but again that perspective is from my aged lens.

Anyway I still think they have value (albeit diminished), and this is from someone who was in management all of his working career.

Reaction Score
Ray can say whatever he wants, especially about a governmental agency. Some people here are suggesting that it probably would’ve been better work for him actually to take a minute I am looking into the subject matter of his post, which was glaringly inaccurate. But agree with you 100% “free speech” doesn’t necessarily mean “informed speech.”

Yeah who knows better about waiting a minute before posting than us Yarders?

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
They being the university of course. How else should they have responded?
The university could have A. Said nothing. B. Justified there actions or C. (Which they did) Explain how a lot of the assumptions made about the sports cuts and additions to policing were simply untrue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Silly take. Employers routinely violate their own policy and contract language they agree to. Why mainly because middle management is terrible everywhere. Unions hold them accountable. The idea that "laws" would keep them in check is laughable. That's like saying we have laws, we have no need for police. Laws are broken everyday by all types.

Reaction Score
Yeah it’s soooo scary out there. If you have a problem with being scared on a college campus maybe you should examine where our country is and why.
My daughter was attacked outside the student union and punched in the face by a random drunk kid after he approached her and she told him to leave her alone. That garbage happens all over the place on campuses. That along with theft, intimidation, and rape. So I really dont care how uncomfortable the police make you feel. Tough crap. There is a reason and it’s not skin color. It’s a thug sub-culture that happens to predominate amount those whose choose to associate
Take another look around. Labor laws are being shredded. 'Right to work' is an employer's dream.
The prevailing labor laws are so comprehensive they cover everything unions were formed to protect within reason. Right to work simply means you don’t have to be forced to join an organization and pay dues that serves in large measure a political function as a condition to be employed. In the public arena, mandatory arbitration undermines the inherent right of the people as taxpayers and a political body to choose what they pay for and under what conditions. It is fundamentally in opposition to the rights of a free people. Professors and coaches in unions is an utter joke.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Agree. If the police budget is 0.5% of the total - cutting the standard amount of fat any state agency maintains, is not going to meaningfully impact the overall University cut needed.
Now that Ray has opened the door by his public criticisms, Chief will bring up an issue I usually don’t bring up, since I consider it a private matter. Maybe Ray can donate money to help those teams?
Maybe Ray can convince his friend KO, to drop his $10M lawsuit against the university? That would open the door up.

As far as I’m concerned, the players have done enough by the time they leave here that they do not have to donate a cent after they go. I’m also not big on telling people where to spend their money - Ray Allen can do whatever he wants and it’s fine.

But on a few occasions when Allen has chosen to express an opinion on certain things, I’ve not found him to be particularly well-informed and I don’t feel like pretending that he is. He’s like a message board poster who just happens to be Ray Allen.

Reaction Score
As far as I’m concerned, the players have done enough by the time they leave here that they do not have to donate a cent after they go. I’m also not big on telling people where to spend their money - Ray Allen can do whatever he wants and it’s fine

RA seemingly agrees w/ you...

008.png

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
RA seemingly agrees w/ you...

View attachment 55877

I generally think it’s obnoxious for people to tell other people where to spend their money - I don’t care it it’s you or Ray Allen or Jeff Bezos. One of the grosser aspects of the modern day is when someone donates money these days and then a bunch of navel-gazing rejects on social media drag them for only donating x-percentage of their net worth.

I also think athletes tend to overrate their impact on the schools they went to - generally because script today involves pretending that they are locked into some kind of indentured servitude. UConn did as much for Ray Allen as Ray Allen did for UConn. I think he’s been a terrific ambassador for the UConn brand for 25 years, but UConn set him up pretty nicely for what was to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom