Ray Allen and Andre Drummond | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ray Allen and Andre Drummond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
. A couple posters said that Curry would blow by Allen's record. I mentioned Tiger as a cautionary example. That point remains true. The percentage of Ray's NBA games I watched, which player is best in their prime and whether Pete Rose is the greatest hitter of all time, is irrelevant.

It actually isnt irrelevant since a bunch in this thread are saying Ray is the greatest since he made the most 3s. It doesnt matter he wasn't top 10 or 20 for 3 point %. They are ignoring shooting numbers and going by raw statistics.

So in essence they should think Pete Rose is the greatest hitter since he has the most hits while ignoring batting average or WAR or any other advanced stat that more accurately measures an offensive players true worth.

Reaction Score
I don't know about this. Their career true shooting percentage are damn near identical and Curry has done it taking about six more shots per 100 possessions.

Curry taking 33 percent more 3's per game will only help his TS % because he's a better three point shooter than Nash was, which I've already conceded. But Nash was better from the mid range area, and he was close enough in 3's and basically identical in FT% to make him the better shooter in my opinion. But it's so hard to compare the two because Nash's peak came at an odd time in his career. He was just really starting to play a lot at Curry's age now.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
So I'm assuming all of you people who say Ray Allen is the greatest shooter of all time also think Kareem is the greatest offensive player in NBA history and Karl Malone is the second greatest.
So in essence they should think Pete Rose is the greatest hitter since he has the most hits while ignoring batting average or

If Curry gets in a car accident tomorrow and doesn't play again, does he go down as the greatest shooter ever?

Reaction Score
Wilt would eat these guys alive today still, it would be a joke with him against the C's of today you kidding me? There's better athletes all around the game besides the middle, it's a joke now some of the guys team throw out there. He, Russell and others would still be as great as they were maybe better because they'd have no one to go head to head with.
No way they would be as dominant as they were. Do you know the players they played against? 6'5-6'8 centers who aren't nearly as athletic as they are today. Wilt and Bill would obviously still be great but no way would they consistently averaged 20 rebounds per game. Wilt also average consistently 35 ppg and averaged 50 and 26 the one year. That would absolutely never happen today I'm sorry

Reaction Score
If Curry gets in a car accident tomorrow and doesn't play again, does he go down as the greatest shooter ever?

Or what if Curry is a serial killer and we just don't know about it.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Wilt would eat these guys alive today still, it would be a joke with him against the C's of today you kidding me? There's better athletes all around the game besides the middle, it's a joke now some of the guys team throw out there. He, Russell and others would still be as great as they were maybe better because they'd have no one to go head to head with.
I totally agree with you. Wilt was benching over 400lbs when he was like 60 years old. He would eat Kelly Olynyk alive. But Andre would eat in Wilt's era too.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Or what if Curry is a serial killer and we just don't know about it.

Someone's going to lob an 'assassin' joke in here. Just getting in first.

Reaction Score
Curry is the best ever---for a snippet of time. What makes Ray the best all time is the conditioning and discipline to do it at a high level for so long.

However, there is no question that Curry is the most talented shooter of all time and can easily become the greatest with long term results. Right now Curry has an exceptional skill but Ray holds an exceptional record.

Reaction Score
No way they would be as dominant as they were. Do you know the players they played against? 6'5-6'8 centers who aren't nearly as athletic as they are today. Wilt and Bill would obviously still be great but no way would they consistently averaged 20 rebounds per game. Wilt also average consistently 35 ppg and averaged 50 and 26 the one year. That would absolutely never happen today I'm sorry

Yea I agree with this. Bill and Wilt would still be great, no doubt, but there is no shot they even come close to that type of production in today's game.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Can we split the difference?

Curry is already approaching all-time greatness, and has a Koufax-like run going on. The longer he extends it, the more impressive this is.

You could basically make the same arguments about Koufax as GOAT, which will be similarly disputed. It's good argument fodder, but it's not worth much.

Reaction Score

Curry is already approaching all-time greatness, and has a Koufax-like run going on. The longer he extends it, the more impressive this is.

You could basically make the same arguments about Koufax as GOAT, which will be similarly disputed. It's good argument fodder, but it's not worth much.

Nope, according to the analysis of some, Koufax and Pedro are the best pitchers of all time, and Bo Jackson is the best running back to ever live.

It's nice to twist arguments, too. Apparently, pointing out that longevity matters is the same as saying the only thing that matters is cumulative stats.

Reaction Score

No, because Curry is (rightfully) going to be considered the best ever when his career ends, unless he somehow only plays like two more seasons.

Ray's legacy will always been as one of the best all-time shooters, and he hit arguably the best shot in the history of the sport. It's not a knock on him to admit that Curry is a flat out better shooter.

Reaction Score
Steph is on pace to make over 450 3s this year. He clearly won't keep that pace up but he's going to break the single season 3 pointers made record for the 3rd year in a row.

GOAT

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
No, because Curry is (rightfully) going to be considered the best ever when his career ends, unless he somehow only plays like two more seasons.

Oh, you mean like Koufax? Sigh.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
IF Steph Curry stays healthy & has a long career in the NBA, it is possible that he will break Ray's 3 point shooting record. If that happens, I hope that Ray will be there when it happens just like Reggie was there when Ray broke HIS record!

Reaction Score

Just want you to name all the bigs who would stop him? I mean there's a couple but there was also a couple a lot better than you are giving credit to in his era who were not 6'5-6'8. You're underestimating the talent he was no doubt and overestimating what the NBA throws out there in the middle these days.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/438984-wilt-chamberlain-did-he-really-play-in-weak-era

Average height of NBA centers during Wilt's career 6'10". The guy was 7'1" and had a 50plus vertical and could throw weights around with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Really, he couldn't get 30 and 20 at least? He'd still throw a 60 and 30 out there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Facts:

Ray Allen has the most career 3's ever. Ever.
Steph Curry made more 3's in a season than anyone. Twice.
Of Curry's 5 full NBA seasons, 3 of them are in the top 5 made 3's in a season. Ray has 1 in the top 10.

Average stats (per 100 possessions):
Allen - 3.4 / 8.5, 40%
Curry - 4.1 / 9.3, 44.2%

Curry is on pace to break Ray's record in about 6 seasons. He's not going to need longevity at this rate. Ray started declining in made 3's after his 13th season (which by age would be Curry's 12th). Since this is Curry's 7th season in the league, he will most likely break Ray's record before declining.

Reaction Score
Facts:

Ray Allen has the most career 3's ever. Ever.
Steph Curry made more 3's in a season than anyone. Twice.
Of Curry's 5 full NBA seasons, 3 of them are in the top 5 made 3's in a season. Ray has 1 in the top 10.

Average stats (per 100 possessions):
Allen - 3.4 / 8.5, 40%
Curry - 4.1 / 9.3, 44.2%

Curry is on pace to break Ray's record in about 6 seasons. He's not going to need longevity at this rate. Ray started declining in made 3's after his 13th season (which by age would be Curry's 12th). Since this is Curry's 7th season in the league, he will most likely break Ray's record before declining.

I believe you're right and that Curry will shatter the record and ultimately will be the greatest shooter ever regardless of whether he breaks the record or not. The stats on 3s made and taken in a season are more of a reflection of the changing nature of the NBA game. The emphasis on the 3 has increased significantly in the last 5 years.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Curry has played a large role in that changing nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom