Ray Allen and Andre Drummond | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ray Allen and Andre Drummond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The designation of best 3 point shooter is an arbitrary one. If you want to base it off of who has made the most it's obviously Ray. On the other hand, if you look at what Curry has done for the past 3 years and compare that to when Ray was in his prime and taking a similar volume of shots ('02 to '07) it's not even close. In the last 3 years Curry has shot 45%/42%/44% from 3 and from '02 to '07 Ray shot 35%/39%/38%/41%/37%. Are we going to keep pretending that those can be closely compared?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the Steph naysayers, you guys realize that you don't have to hold a record to be considered the greatest or best, right? Curry doesn't have to break Ray's record to be a better shooter than him, I get that Ray is a UConn guy but damn, use your eyes. I also find it funny that guys defending Ray's honor so vigoriously more than likely never even saw more than 25% of the games Ray played in the NBA. You guys don't even watch the NBA now, there's no way in hell ya'll were watching Ray in Milwaukee and Seattle during his prime to be able to accurately judge and compare him to Steph.

Reaction Score
Curry is unparalleled in his ability to get his shot off at anytime. He doesn't need a screen or help from his teammates. His handle (best in the league IMO) and quick release allow him to cross you up, step back and knock down a 3 basically any time he wants to. He keeps breaking his own 3 point records year after year and like others have said, his style is very sustainable. GOAT

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
the greatest 3point shooter claim is already being taken over

Greatness is almost always defined by longevity. There's been 1000s of players who've done things for shorter times spans in all sports. But it's that lifetime consistency that separates.

It'll come down to longevity. Who knows when Curry loses his quickness and how that'll affect his game.

Reaction Score
Question for the Ray backers?

Is Pete rose the greatest hitter of all time? I mean he has the most hits.

Ray isn't even top 10 for career 3 point percentage (#36 tied with Glenn rice). Just saying. Ray was previously the best volume 3 point shooter and was clutch. That made him labeled the greatest 3 point shooter.

Fact is there were better 3 point shooters than ray that played the game. They just weren't given the green light like Ray was because Ray was a great all around player

Reaction Score
Currys ankles could give out on him tomorrow. He's not the greatest yet, but if he keeps this up for 10+ more years he will be

I guess if his ankles go he becomes Steve Kerr or Dan Majerle. He'll still get his 3s and shoot a high percentage

Reaction Score
Already one of the best offensive rebounders ever, Drummond could cement himself as the best rebounder ever when all is said and done. To be able to say that we have the greatest 3 point shooter of all time and the greatest rebounder of all time as alumni would be so cool. This probably doesn't need its own thread, but I just got happy knowing that our NBA presence is in good hands as long as Drummond is around.

Great to see what Andre is doing but did you ever hear of or see a guy named Wilt Chamberlain?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Before we start throning Curry as the best shooter ever, we need to realize the level of condition and durability Ray had throughout his career to achieve his near 3000 three pointers. Curry came into the league a year older than Ray and was riddled with injuries his first couple seasons. For all we know, Curry may not last in the league as long as Ray did, who was notorious for elite conditioning and shape for his age.

People may still think no one can shoot like Curry, but in 50 years if you open the record books, hopefully it will still say "Walter Ray Allen".

Reaction Score
No one is ever going to approach the inflated rebounding totals of Chamberlain and Russell again. It was a different era, both in talent and tempo.

But Drummond can very well establish himself as the best rebounder of the modern-era (since the 3-point line was introduced in 1979-1980). Drummond has the best offensive-rebounding percentage of all-time, and ranks second in total rebounding percentage, just behind Dennis Rodman.

That amazing part is that Drummond is still just 22, and he's putting up by far the best numbers of his career now that he's not in the cluttered paint with Greg Monroe and Josh Smith. He should only continue to get better and put up gaudy numbers regularly.

Drummond is blossoming into one of the most dominant players in the NBA. I'm glad he came to UConn, even if it was just for one year. And even though he only came here for a year, he still bleeds blue. In a time where our NBA influence is waning, Drummond is a much needed ambassador for UConn hoops in the NBA.

Reaction Score
No one is ever going to approach the inflated rebounding totals of Chamberlain and Russell again. It was a different era, both in talent and tempo.

But Drummond can very well establish himself as the best rebounder of the modern-era (since the 3-point line was introduced in 1979-1980). Drummond has the best offensive-rebounding percentage of all-time, and ranks second in total rebounding percentage, just behind Dennis Rodman.

That amazing part is that Drummond is still just 22, and he's putting up by far the best numbers of his career now that he's not in the cluttered paint with Greg Monroe and Josh Smith. He should only continue to get better and put up gaudy numbers regularly.

Drummond is blossoming into one of the most dominant players in the NBA. I'm glad he came to UConn, even if it was just for one year. And even though he only came here for a year, he still bleeds blue. In a time where our NBA influence is waning, Drummond is a much needed ambassador for UConn hoops in the NBA.
beautiful post bro

Reaction Score
To me, Steve Nash is the greatest shooter of all time, Curry is probably the best three point shooter of all time(although a guy like Korver is probably a better catch and shoot guy).

Of the 10 50-40-90 seasons in the history of the league, Nash has 4 of them.

Reaction Score
I'm a big Ray Allen fan but Curry is the best shooter of all time. He is deadly anywhere on the floor , on and off the ball. It's hard not to be biased w the best UConn player of all time.

Reaction Score
The designation of best 3 point shooter is an arbitrary one. If you want to base it off of who has made the most it's obviously Ray. On the other hand, if you look at what Curry has done for the past 3 years and compare that to when Ray was in his prime and taking a similar volume of shots ('02 to '07) it's not even close. In the last 3 years Curry has shot 45%/42%/44% from 3 and from '02 to '07 Ray shot 35%/39%/38%/41%/37%. Are we going to keep pretending that those can be closely compared?

So I agree that Curry is probably going to be viewed as better but Im curious why you clearly cherry picked the years for Allen. The 3 years prior he shot 42% 43% 43%. The third year he shot 7.7 a game. The other 2 were lower at 5 and 5.7 but that doesn't factor pace of play and clearly isn't someone who is just waiting for open looks.

Reaction Score
So I agree that Curry is probably going to be viewed as better but Im curious why you clearly cherry picked the years for Allen. The 3 years prior he shot 42% 43% 43%. The third year he shot 7.7 a game. The other 2 were lower at 5 and 5.7 but that doesn't factor pace of play and clearly isn't someone who is just waiting for open looks.
I picked the years where his scoring output was comparable to the #s Curry has been putting up (23-24 ppg and ~7+ attempts from long range).

Using the 3 years you selected Ray averaged about 6 attempts per game compared to 8 for Curry, and Steph STILL put up better %s.

Reaction Score

Also team personnel, style of play, etc.......

What we need to do is have Ray and Steph lace 'em up in a three point shooting contest at All-Star weekend. Winner is GOAT.

Reaction Score
Obviously. I'd love to see what Andre Drummond could do in the NBA in the 1960's.

Wilt would eat these guys alive today still, it would be a joke with him against the C's of today you kidding me? There's better athletes all around the game besides the middle, it's a joke now some of the guys team throw out there. He, Russell and others would still be as great as they were maybe better because they'd have no one to go head to head with.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Question for the Ray backers?

Is Pete rose the greatest hitter of all time? I mean he has the most hits.

Ray isn't even top 10 for career 3 point percentage (#36 tied with Glenn rice). Just saying. Ray was previously the best volume 3 point shooter and was clutch. That made him labeled the greatest 3 point shooter.

Fact is there were better 3 point shooters than ray that played the game. They just weren't given the green light like Ray was because Ray was a great all around player

So where is the time frame? Is the it the guy who did it the best the best for a career? For 10 yrs? For 5 yrs? 3? 1? 1/2 a season? 1 game? If Curry's career ends tomorrow in a car accident, is he the greatest 3pt shooter of all time? I say no.

For comparison, Tony Gonzalez is arguably the best tight end of all time, given the production and length of time he played. But he's not necessarily the most talented. Gronkowski is like nothing we've ever seen in terms of size, speed, strength, leaping ability, hands, route running, breaking tackles, red zone threat, ridiculous blocking, etc. Gronk's a flat out better tight end, but TG is still the GOAT.

Clutch would be a huge competent for me. If you're not clutch, in terms of greatness, you belong no where near the list. Longevity is important too.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
. A couple posters said that Curry would blow by Allen's record. I mentioned Tiger as a cautionary example. That point remains true. The percentage of Ray's NBA games I watched, which player is best in their prime and whether Pete Rose is the greatest hitter of all time, is irrelevant.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
. A couple posters said that Curry would blow by Allen's record. I mentioned Tiger as a cautionary example. That point remains true. The percentage of Ray's NBA games I watched, which player is best in their prime and whether Pete Rose is the greatest hitter of all time, is irrelevant.

Good post. Tiger is the perfect example. Nicklaus is the GOAT in my mind. Tiger could have been.

Reaction Score
To me, Steve Nash is the greatest shooter of all time, Curry is probably the best three point shooter of all time(although a guy like Korver is probably a better catch and shoot guy).

Of the 10 50-40-90 seasons in the history of the league, Nash has 4 of them.

I don't know about this. Their career true shooting percentage are damn near identical and Curry has done it taking about six more shots per 100 possessions.

Reaction Score
So I'm assuming all of you people who say Ray Allen is the greatest shooter of all time also think Kareem is the greatest offensive player in NBA history and Karl Malone is the second greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom