Rank Our Players | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Rank Our Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What about the rest of the season? it surprises you that a bluechip freshman might be better than a redshirt junior who has yet to display any modicum of consistency in his career?
Starting Adams over RP just makes absolutely no sense. JA is the perfect 6th man who can come in and create for the second team or take RP out for a rest and shift Gibbs to the SG spot to give him a break.

Reaction Score
Because Brimah is going to be one of the top shot blockers in the nation, will likely improve his rebounding somewhat, will likely improve his scoring somewhat, and will be able to impact the game on both ends of the floor.
Purvis is a scorer, and not much else. There is a rumor going around that he is a very good defender. 0.8 steals, 0.2 blocks, and 2 D-boards per game don't amount to that, from my view. Compare those numbers to 2nd year Dyson, who was, in fact, a very good defender (1.8, 0.7, and 3.0).
Also, pre-March we were 16/11. March and thereafter we were 4/4. In other words, Rodney's "click" did not translate to more wins. Which, of course, is the danger in being enamored with scoring - it's a false prophet.

FWIW, I've been charting the defense from last season and I'm only through late December, but so far Purvis has a very solid stop percentage. His strength on defense is his ability to close out on jump shooters, something that Cassell and Boatright were more or less terrible at last year.

Reaction Score
Starting Adams over RP just makes absolutely no sense. JA is the perfect 6th man who can come in and create for the second team or take RP out for a rest and shift Gibbs to the SG spot to give him a break.
the offense last season was in the gutter when purvis played shooting guard. substituting him with a potentially better passer/ballhandler in closing time would give us a serious boost. we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
the offense last season was in the gutter when purvis played shooting guard. substituting him with a potentially better passer/ballhandler in closing time would give us a serious boost. we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
Who plays backup pg then?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Actually, this is my point exactly. Brimah is much more important than Purvis. If Brimah goes out, our W/L will suffer much more than if Purvis goes out.
We can disagree on this. Just opinions, after all.
And of course, if Purvis picks up where he left off and can shoot at close to 50% from 2 and 35% from 3 then there is no doubt that I (and others) have undervalued him, and I'll acknowledge that.
I fully admit that his early jeckyll/hyde play was difficult to watch, and may still cloud my judgment of his potential.
And that's all I'm basing things on, end of season play versus potential impact of games. My choice of parameters. The coaches worked with Kentan to be in the flow of the game both on offense and defense and he never figured things out. They started this with Amidah (when to block vs. when to rebound) towards the end of the season and he wasn't able to adjust. I hope he does because he is an important piece to this team. And if he can do this the fast break becomes a significant factor because the guards won't have to be asked to rebound. But there is no guarantee it will happen. And if he doesn't then I expect opposing teams to get second and third chances against UConn (something that has happened the past two season with AB anchoring the 5) which negates some of the impact his blocking gives.

I guess I don't understand why some posters are more critical of one players inconsistency versus other players. The only primarily consistent positive play came from Ryan. At least Rodney's trajectory ended well. I didn't see that from DHam or AB. And this statement does not convey who I consider is the better talent or who the more impactful player potentially is. I think end of season play is a better predictor of how a person will play the following season than automatically assuming a natural progression.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
And this offensive failure had nothing to do with the other four players on the floor?

Reaction Score
Because Brimah is going to be one of the top shot blockers in the nation, will likely improve his rebounding somewhat, will likely improve his scoring somewhat, and will be able to impact the game on both ends of the floor.
Purvis is a scorer, and not much else. There is a rumor going around that he is a very good defender. 0.8 steals, 0.2 blocks, and 2 D-boards per game don't amount to that, from my view. Compare those numbers to 2nd year Dyson, who was, in fact, a very good defender (1.8, 0.7, and 3.0).
Also, pre-March we were 16/11. March and thereafter we were 4/4. In other words, Rodney's "click" did not translate to more wins. Which, of course, is the danger in being enamored with scoring - it's a false prophet.

Purvis isn't a great defender, but he has the ability to be, and he showed more flashes last year than any of our other wing defenders. Steals, and especially blocks, are not a very good indicator of effective perimeter defense. Instinctually, he's not Boatright or even Dyson, but he has a strong frame that helps him navigate screens and wall off on drivers.

And yes, we were 4-4 in March (4-3 if you don't include the NIT game sans Boat), but that stretch also coincided with a much tougher portion of the schedule (SMU twice, Cincinnati, @ Temple, Tulsa, ASU and Memphis - South Florida was the only gimme) and included two of our best wins of the season (SMU and Cincinnati).

Now, that being said, I have Purvis 6th on my list. He has flaws. I probably err closer to your assessment of his game than I do somebody who thinks he's going to be a first team all-American. I think it's a little disingenuous, though, to act like his transformation towards the end of the season was a "false prophet" that didn't help us win games (and it wasn't just his scoring that improved, he got better as a playmaker, too). Hamilton and Brimah both fell of a cliff offensively, and Boat was evidentially playing hurt in the AAC championship.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Purvis isn't a great defender, but he has the ability to be, and he showed more flashes last year than any of our other wing defenders. Steals, and especially blocks, are not a very good indicator of effective perimeter defense. Instinctually, he's not Boatright or even Dyson, but he has a strong frame that helps him navigate screens and wall off on drivers.

And yes, we were 4-4 in March (4-3 if you don't include the NIT game sans Boat), but that stretch also coincided with a much tougher portion of the schedule (SMU twice, Cincinnati, @ Temple, Tulsa, ASU and Memphis - South Florida was the only gimme) and included two of our best wins of the season (SMU and Cincinnati).

Now, that being said, I have Purvis 6th on my list. He has flaws. I probably err closer to your assessment of his game than I do somebody who thinks he's going to be a first team all-American. I think it's a little disingenuous, though, to act like his transformation towards the end of the season was a "false prophet" that didn't help us win games (and it wasn't just his scoring that improved, he got better as a playmaker, too). Hamilton and Brimah both fell of a cliff offensively, and Boat was evidentially playing hurt in the AAC championship.
It seemed to me that Rodney was often guarding opposing teams better offensive players toward the end of the season. Am I wrong?

Reaction Score
It seemed to me that Rodney was often guarding opposing teams better offensive players toward the end of the season. Am I wrong?
Also, the 4-4 feels a bit disingenuous. They were 4-2 in the AAC title game, and then Boat got hurt and the team never recovered.

Purvis was excellent in those games.

I'm just going to give the 6'4" athletic freak who ended the year on a tear some slack and assume he's going to do something akin to that. I mean, the kid sat out a year, had surgery in the offseason, got injured early in the year, and really struggled.

Then it seemed like he got his legs under him and he started scoring.

Unfortunately for him, Boat got hurt, Hamilton hit the freshman wall, and Brimah was awful.

Reaction Score

No. Some of this was probably to save Boat for the other end, but Purvis certainly seemed up for any challenge Ollie gives him and I expect that to carry over into this season.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) Purvis
2) Hamilton
3) Gibbs
4) Adams
5) Brimah
6) Miller
7) Facey
8) Enoch
9) Calhoun
10) Cassell
11) Nolan
12) Nnamdi Amilo
13) The 13th guy

I think Calhoun, Cassell and Nolan are just squeezed out in a numbers game - the top six players, plus Facey, are gonna just eat gobs of minutes. Perhaps Calhoun can carve out mid-double digits for himself, but it'll be tough for the other two to make a dent.

Reaction Score
I think Calhoun, Cassell and Nolan are just squeezed out in a numbers game
You made the early "gunner" call on Cassell and nailed it. Agreed he'll only get minutes if there are injuries.
Unless something dramatic happens, I agree Calhoun won't be on the floor much.
Disagree on Nolan - he's the first big off the bench, if for no other reason than the guy is a senior, he's been to the FF and won it, and we have no other big with significant experience.

Your call on Purvis is interesting. Hope to hell you're right.

Reaction Score
1) Purvis
2) Hamilton
3) Gibbs
4) Adams
5) Brimah
6) Miller
7) Facey
8) Enoch
9) Calhoun
10) Cassell
11) Nolan
12) Nnamdi Amilo
13) The 13th guy

I think Calhoun, Cassell and Nolan are just squeezed out in a numbers game - the top six players, plus Facey, are gonna just eat gobs of minutes. Perhaps Calhoun can carve out mid-double digits for himself, but it'll be tough for the other two to make a dent.

I imagine that by January or so, KO will have condensed the rotation to eight or nine, and that he will choose one wing (probably Cassell or Calhoun) and one big (Nolan or Enoch) to cut from the rotation entirely. But I don't see Calhoun and Cassell both outside looking in because it would leave us with only two true wings in the rotation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I imagine that by January or so, KO will have condensed the rotation to eight or nine, and that he will choose one wing (probably Cassell or Calhoun) and one big (Nolan or Enoch) to cut from the rotation entirely. But I don't see Calhoun and Cassell both outside looking in because it would leave us with only two true wings in the rotation.

With the constant three-guard rotation of Purvis, Gibbs and Adams and Hamilton playing 32 a game, it really does put pressure on Calhoun and Cassell.

I don't know if Cassell is quite athletic enough and I really question his shot selection most of the time - I suspect Calhoun will get back to form a bit and mop up most of the minutes available.

Reaction Score
What about the rest of the season? it surprises you that a bluechip freshman might be better than a redshirt junior who has yet to display any modicum of consistency in his career?

There are arguments to be made in both directions but invoking Adams's status as a "bluechip freshman" is certainly not one of them when the kid you're comparing him to was more highly touted coming out of high school than Adams.

Reaction Score
There are arguments to be made in both directions but invoking Adams's status as a "bluechip freshman" is certainly not one of them when the kid you're comparing him to was more highly touted coming out of high school than Adams.
some players are poorly evaluated, thats the case with purvis. he was a 6'4 athletic phenom with tiny arms coming out of hs. Adams is the other side of the coin; imo ( never saw purvis in hs, i have seen adams since i live in CT and nepsac is my backyard) he might be undervalued... he has a plus differential as far as wingspan and is also a superb athlete with a defined position.

the idea that purvis is the 'most talented' or even 'most valued' player on uconns roster is preposterous. He's done nothing to earn this status, yet many posters are quick to place him above all conference players like BRIMAH or even hamilton. Do people not remember seeing him unable to dribble the basketball in a press break? 40 assists and 62 turnovers on the season, below average floor vision. 6'4 high volume shooter and an unproven defender.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
some players are poorly evaluated, thats the case with purvis. he was a 6'4 athletic phenom with tiny arms coming out of hs. Adams is the other side of the coin; imo ( never saw purvis in hs, i have seen adams since i live in CT and nepsac is my backyard) he might be undervalued... he has a plus differential as far as wingspan and is also a superb athlete with a defined position.

the idea that purvis is the 'most talented' or even 'most valued' player on uconns roster is preposterous. He's done nothing to earn this status, yet many posters are quick to place him above all conference players like BRIMAH or even hamilton. Do people not remember seeing him unable to dribble the basketball in a press break? 40 assists and 62 turnovers on the season, below average floor vision. 6'4 high volume shooter and an unproven defender.
I always find it odd when a poster has what seems a personal issue with a player and runs them down over and over again. I don't get it. Why wouldn't you want every UConn player to not only succeed but excel? Even if you don't agree that they might be good or great - why run them down?

You've been given several examples about how well he scored for the last half or third of the season and how his defense is above average.

Why do you have such a problem with Purvis? He's a quality kid who we should all want to excel - it's good for us.

Reaction Score
@jleves I want purvis to succeed . Sorry if my posts were misconstrued . Also not sure why you are calling me out when other posters have made note of his unwarranted defensive praise.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
@jleves I want purvis to succeed . Sorry if my posts were misconstrued . Also not sure why you are calling me out when other posters have made note of his unwarranted defensive praise.
Interesting you would be uncomfortable with @jleves post when you could be considered guilty of a similar process when you made this statement:

"the offense last season was in the gutter when purvis played shooting guard. substituting him with a potentially better passer/ballhandler in closing time would give us a serious boost. we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out."

Sounds a lot like you are isolating the problem to one player when five guys are playing the game.

Reaction Score
I think that the people who seem to be diminishing Purvis' importance next year are forgetting how bad last year's team was on offense. Gibbs is a very talented player to make up for Boatright's lost production, and Miller and Adams will be very good pieces, but having a second guy who can average 15 points a game or so would be a massive help. And I think Purvis is the most likely candidate to do that, even more than Hamilton. Getting more production out of Purvis is extremely important in my opinion.

Also, in by far the biggest game of the year Purvis was the only guy on the team who showed up(granted Boatright was hurt throughout). That really may not mean a whole lot considering it was just one game obviously, but I do think it's worth something.

Reaction Score
Because I too have doubts about his potential, I'll take a shot at answering you sincerely.
The reason is because you use particular words that seem like attack words. In other words, you seem to use words that one would associate with a Facebook attack rather than a supporting fan, notwithstanding your desire to see UConn do well. For example, you said he has "tiny arms." He is about 6/3 with a 6/4 wingspan. Not Mutumbo-esque, but pointing it out the way you did seem unnecessary and a bit of an attack. His arms are what they are, and he can't change them through training, so why bang on that at all? It seems a bit small. Also, you wrote he is "unable to dribble the basketball." You're exaggerating for effect, but it comes across as an attack because you could have just said, "he has a weak handle" or "he's not good at breaking the press."
As to the other poster's comment that he doesn't understand why you are attacking a player, I'm calling in @fleudslipcon on this one to corroborate/refute my opinion. My opinion is this - you see that others are big on Purvis. You believe they are overzealous and wrong. You are irritated by that. So, in response, you attack the target of their affection. It's not unlike a girlfriend attacking a rival girl who the boyfriend happened to compliment or show good feelings toward.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I've been charting the defense from last season and I'm only through late December, but so far Purvis has a very solid stop percentage. His strength on defense is his ability to close out on jump shooters, something that Cassell and Boatright were more or less terrible at last year.

How are you charting the defense? Will you post the results?

Reaction Score
I rank my UConn players as this:

I like them a lot and if they play well together while not worrying about individual stats or hype, they have a chance to go a long way this year. I rank them as my favorite kids in college basketball.

Reaction Score
I rank my UConn players as this:

I like them a lot and if they play well together while not worrying about individual stats or hype, they have a chance to go a long way this year. I rank them as my favorite kids in college basketball.

Please provide your individual player rankings by 11:59 PM EST. Time is of the essence (emphasis added).

We look forward to your rankings being added to the data. Good day and be well.

Sincerely,
BDH :D

Note: I am dying to add mine but am worried my good friend Deepster will switch my #1 player with a walk on or a cheerleader. Life is tough on the BY! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom