Purvis
Miller
Adams
Facey
Calhoun
Cassell
Nolan
Enoch

I am confused as to what @James said that has caused such an uproar. Purvis's wingspan and poor ball handling is a completely relevant reason for him not being our top player. In some cases we are putting him before our all conference big man and our newly acquired all big east 1st team transfer PG who led his conference in 3 pt %.

The language he used was consistent with someone personally attacking a player, as opposed to accurately critiquing their game.

Reaction Score
Hamilton
Gibbs
Brimah
Purvis
Miller
Adams
Facey
Calhoun
Cassell
Nolan
Enoch

I am confused as to what @James said that has caused such an uproar. Purvis's wingspan and poor ball handling is a completely relevant reason for him not being our top player. In some cases we are putting him before our all conference big man and our newly acquired all big east 1st team transfer PG who led his conference in 3 pt %.

Yea, if guys are getting offended by saying a player with a subpar wingspan has "tiny arms", I can't imagine how upset they get come draft time when the anonymous scout draft reports come out and these scouts are cursing up a storm and using all kinds of inflammatory language to describe players.

Reaction Score
The language he used was consistent with someone personally attacking a player, as opposed to accurately critiquing their game.

I am somewhat new to this sight but the forums I frequent like realgm and reddit to talk hoop. A players wingspan is almost 100% measurement in evaluating a player. Wingspan plays a big role in player ranking and future potential. Tiny arms may not be politically correct, but we all know what he meant, and his point is very valid.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I am somewhat new to this sight but the forums I frequent like realgm and reddit to talk hoop. A players wingspan is almost 100% measurement in evaluating a player. Wingspan plays a big role in player ranking and future potential. Tiny arms may not be politically correct, but we all know what he meant, and his point is very valid.

Those aren't the quotes in question.

Reaction Score
Looking only at the returning players from last years team...
  • Hamilton, while in a game, had the biggest positive impact of any UConn player out on the floor.
  • Brimah, on the flip side, was the player that UConn was most hurt most by when sitting.
I expect those two players to have the greatest impact on the team again this year. The obvious key to UConn being great and not just good, is to keep Brimah on the floor for 30+ minutes.

Reaction Score
Aceboon vs. Stairmaster

On the issue of personal attacks as it relates to the Ferrari and the language used to describe his measurements. Please reference James posts for the origin of the debate.

Moderator: Fluedy

Time: August 19 10:00 AM
August 20 10:00 AM

Reaction Score
Unlike the past few seasons there isn't a clear Alpha on this squad and I believe that on any given nite any of 6 players will be the most important. On the other hand I believe there are 3 clearly defined groups of players:

We go as far as they take us-
Adams
Brimah
Gibbs
Hamilton
Miller
Purvis

Rotation backups -
Facey
Nolan - (While his minutes will be limited by how much KO plays small ball with Miller at the 5, he is the first big off the bench, which will add up because Amida is prone to foul trouble. Also while he was terrible for much of last season his game markedly improved at the end, especially during the AAC tourney, so if it counts for Purvis, it should count for Phil as well.)

then players who will fight for playing time-
Calhoun
Cassel
Enoch

It's possible the last two groups could be somewhat fluid - Enoch could shine, Facey could falter, injuries happen - but unless KO plays Hamilton at the 4 for 10+ minutes a game I don't think there will be many minutes for backcourt and wing players from these last 2 groups.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am confused as to what @James said that has caused such an uproar. Purvis's wingspan and poor ball handling is a completely relevant reason for him not being our top player. In some cases we are putting him before our all conference big man and our newly acquired all big east 1st team transfer PG who led his conference in 3 pt %.[/QUOTE]
James is one of the dudes who has a good understanding of bb. Read a lot of his stuff.

I thought I've seen you in the chat room. If not, or maybe I'm misremembering things, there is a lot of similarity between James/Purvis as there is between Chief00/Dyson. Well I won't go that far. That would be like saying a drop of water is an ocean. But there is some thing about Purvis that is personal for several people and it seems to me to be more than just his shortcomings as a player. This thread is tame to what happens over the season and what you read in the chatroom during a game time. So the push back must sound weird to some.

Seems every year we have a player in which a segment of the forum goes out of the way to treat like they are on Syracuse's team. It's rarely the same posters. And sometimes two or three players get this treatment. But generally speaking one player really becomes the whipping poster child.

If you read a post by the gold standard of bb analysis, @Gurleyman, you get an in depth understanding of all the moving parts, with equal emphasis of the pros and cons of players abilities and the teams ability to handle players shortcomings or not. He does it patiently and without vitriol. He doesn't deride other posters and doesn't deride players. Well he did have one Moby Dick weakness. But otherwise the guy is incredible.

Reaction Score
Didn't really want to make a new thread for this but I think many on here do in fact care about this information haha.

Rodney Purvis‏@rpurvis44
Aye if anybody care I made 51 free throws in a row today. #workkkkkkkkkkkk

This is good off season news. It just shows a guys head is in the right place and he is working on a key part of his game. 51 in a row regardless of conditions is an accomplishment.

Keep up the grind Rodney. Any info on off season accomplishments can raise a players ranking. Everything is fluid and sometimes there is a fine line when officially slotting players using your specific unique ranking system. ;)

Reaction Score
Rodney is a scorer and a slasher. He averaged 17.8 points in the post season. That's hard to discount. He may not have PG skills,but he can still be a candidate for team MVP. All he has done is work hard to improve. I for one really like the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom