Rank Our Players | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Rank Our Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Because I too have doubts about his potential, I'll take a shot at answering you sincerely.
The reason is because you use particular words that seem like attack words. In other words, you seem to use words that one would associate with a Facebook attack rather than a supporting fan, notwithstanding your desire to see UConn do well. For example, you said he has "tiny arms." He is about 6/3 with a 6/4 wingspan. Not Mutumbo-esque, but pointing it out the way you did seem unnecessary and a bit of an attack. His arms are what they are, and he can't change them through training, so why bang on that at all? It seems a bit small. Also, you wrote he is "unable to dribble the basketball." You're exaggerating for effect, but it comes across as an attack because you could have just said, "he has a weak handle" or "he's not good at breaking the press."
As to the other poster's comment that he doesn't understand why you are attacking a player, I'm calling in @fleudslipcon on this one to corroborate/refute my opinion. My opinion is this - you see that others are big on Purvis. You believe they are overzealous and wrong. You are irritated by that. So, in response, you attack the target of their affection. It's not unlike a girlfriend attacking a rival girl who the boyfriend happened to compliment or show good feelings toward.
I'm torn here for several reasons.

First, this thread is going off on a tangent and that rightfully irritates some posters. But I believe this tangent is significant for many people including some of those who would be irritated by it.
Second, there are so many ways to approach this with each approach helping someone change or begin the change for the better while at the same time creating an effect that would make some people more intransigent to something that would best serve them.
Third, I've announced my retirement from this type of stuff and here I am sucked up into something that I think is too valuable not to offer commentary.

So with sincere apologies to the members of this forum who are annoyed by this type of thing or feel it is inappropriate I will offer a few things.

The usage of words and the tonality of our arguments often belie our commentary. In this you were correct about @James. But even if you were correct about his underlying motive, and I'm not sure you are, I think it is dangerous to express the underlying motive of a specific individual without being invited to do so, especially in a public forum. This is not meant as a reprimand. I've been guilty of doing this.

I limit it to essentially three situations. The first is when I believe many people are not aware of manipulation/deception, whether self imposed or outside of themselves, and that manipulation/deception creates a lot of damage. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. Second is when I see an individual who is struggling to make an important change (a change that will help themselves and as a result help others) and is close enough that maybe with a little support/guidance they can succeed in making that change. The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many. These first two reasons are noble and valuable. The third unfortunately is not. There are things we all need to overcome. And sometimes I get triggered by a person's statement that hits a nerve causing me to react in a non noble way even when I can make it appear to be noble. In this thread I can point out to all three of these processes. And since I can't always be certain when I am being noble (most if not all of us have the capability for self deception), nor can I always be certain I've assessed things correctly (about the problem and/or the approach to finding a solution to that problem) I err on the side of caution.

This post is already far too long for the attention span of most of us, me included. But I want to let you know that you've impressed me twice in this thread.
The first was when you admitted that your statements concerning Rodney could be biased. You're open to the possibility that the problem may not just be about Rodney. I felt the sincerity of that statement. I don't think you've targeted the issue. But awareness is the place to start.
The second was your attempt to explain things to James. Accuracy would be the most important thing on most peoples lists. Not mine. It was your sincerity to help someone and your approach with compassion that I thought was beautiful. It caused me to take the time to write this. It is not easy for me to put my thoughts into writing, part of the reason I prefer to remove myself from this process. But I was so moved by what you did I felt I owed you the time to respond.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
@jleves I want purvis to succeed . Sorry if my posts were misconstrued . Also not sure why you are calling me out when other posters have made note of his unwarranted defensive praise.
Hopefully you are open minded and can do a little self evaluation about this. It appears to me (and obviously others) that you have gone beyond being critical about Purvis and have developed negative feelings about him in general. There's nothing wrong with saying he's undersized, turns it over too much or doesn't defend well. But you have gone beyond that and made it personal with statements already pointed out (tiny arms, offense goes into the gutter, etc.) and the general tone you take with those who find him valuable, important, etc. feels like you've gone way beyond watching a lot of basketball and noticed some things in terms of Purvis. Which prompted my question - what is your problem with Purvis?

Finally, and I doubt you even noticed you did this - but I said why wouldn't you want Purvis to not only succeed, but excel and you commented back you want him to succeed.... That says a lot.

Reaction Score
Instead of discussing whether i have a 'personal issue' with a player, how about you guys contribute an actual player ranking so OP can deliver a composite ( you know the point of this thread?). Purvis has below avg length, so does hamilton respective to their actual heights... Dont see how this is a personal attack , its simply a fact. There would be nothing I want more for him to start the season scorching the nets and playing elite defense.

Reaction Score
Purvis has below avg length, . . . Dont see how this is a personal attack
"Below average length." - not a personal attack.
"Tiny arms." (your original words) - sounds like a personal attack.

Reaction Score
I agree with this other than I would swap Enoch and Facey.

1 - Hamilton
2 - Gibbs
3 - Miller
4 - Purvis
5 - Adams
6 - Brimah
7 - Facey
8 - Calhoun
9 - Cassell
10 - Enoch
11 - Nolan

Dicky V's comment last March that we badly needed an injection of talent is made evident by these rankings. 3 new faces in the top 5.

Reaction Score
In winning a national championship, we've learned any player is capable of contributing. In terms of ranking a blend of talent and impact. . .

1 - Hamilton
2 - Brimah
3 - Gibbs
4 - Purvis
5 - Miller
6 - Adams
7 - Facey
8 - Enoch
9 - Calhoun
10 - Nolan
11 - Cassell

Reaction Score
Seems like people are being overly sensitive here. I haven't read any of @James 's comments as anything other than an expression that he's a little lower on a certain player than others. "Tiny arms" is an attack phrase now? C'mon.

Anyhow, @johnhuskies95 has officially passed me as the most deranged poster on the boneyard if he is re-watching every defensive possession from last season. Props to you, sir.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Seems like people are being overly sensitive here. I haven't read any of @James 's comments as anything other than an expression that he's a little lower on a certain player than others. "Tiny arms" is an attack phrase now? C'mon.

Anyhow, @johnhuskies95 has officially passed me as the most deranged poster on the boneyard if he is re-watching every defensive possession from last season. Props to you, sir.
Regarding the first comment you sound like DT.:)

Agree with you about the second comment. Which is saying a lot.

BTW you and I agree about Rodney being a better than average defender. @johnhuskies95 gave him a positive review after the first half of the season and I felt his defense was significantly better in the second half. What's your take about DHam? I felt his man to man defense was his biggest weakness last season. Might even be debatable if it was poorer than OC if you remove defensive rebounding, which of course has to be factored in and factored in heavily imo.

Reaction Score
Regarding the first comment you sound like DT.:)

Agree with you about the second comment. Which is saying a lot.

BTW you and I agree about Rodney being a better than average defender. @johnhuskies95 gave him a positive review after the first half of the season and I felt his defense was significantly better in the second half. What's your take about DHam? I felt his man to man defense was his biggest weakness last season. Might even be debatable if it was poorer than OC if you remove defensive rebounding, which of course has to be factored in and factored in heavily imo.

After watching some tape of last season, I have to say you were dead-on in your commentary on D-Ham's defense. He was OK as an on-ball defender, and he has the tools to be a very good one...but off the ball, he was terrible. He was a serial offender when it came to cheating screens and losing his man away from the ball. Part of it was his strength, part of it was just inexperience. I expect him to be a lot better this season - his poor habits were not unusual for a freshman.

Reaction Score
fleudy and champs bingo on DHam's defense. He will be better this year with a year under his belt but I feel he is one of those kids with good knowledge of the game and it lends itself to thinking you can make plays off the ball while reading the opposing players. Well in HS maybe but not in college, instead it makes you look lazy off the ball. He has a very good awareness and this will help in the long run but he needs to stick to his guy off the ball much more this year and I believe he will.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Late to the thread but there is many different ways to rank players. Dham would take number 1 spot as the best player in regards to age and skill set but since this is most valuable player for this season then Gibbs takes the 1 spot hands down. Gibbs will be more consistent, will have the ball in his hands the most, and will be the vocal leader for the team. I will give Dham the 2nd spot and Brimah the 3rd with Rodney close behind. Hopefully Brimah can stay on the court and be a consistent...

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Instead of discussing whether i have a 'personal issue' with a player, how about you guys contribute an actual player ranking so OP can deliver a composite ( you know the point of this thread?). Purvis has below avg length, so does hamilton respective to their actual heights... Dont see how this is a personal attack , its simply a fact. There would be nothing I want more for him to start the season scorching the nets and playing elite defense.
There are two reasons I've chosen not to rank the players:

1) I'm not good at such a thing. I enjoy watching UConn basketball - no I really love watching UConn basketball, but I'm not one to break things down or understand a bunch of nuance. I don't really understand what the Triangle Offense is or a bunch of other things. I'm pretty basic - I get the give and go and beyond that, I just like watching basketball. I can see and appreciate good defense and to a lessor degree good offense (with the exception of UConn teams that would pound around on the outside for 30 seconds and then have somebody try to do something). I leave the analysis to guys like Gurlyman who actually sees, understands and explains what happens in detail.

2) I have a hard time making such a list because you have to call out half the roster as being in the bottom 50% and I hate that. If you want the top player or top three, I can probably deal with it, but I hate saying someone is 9th or 10th or 11th most important on the team. Wane was probably in that group on the 99 team but he made a play that gave us two points which may well have made the difference between winning and losing. Don't want to put anyone down when they can make a single play that can change a championship from lost to won.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Late to the thread but there is many different ways to rank players. Dham would take number 1 spot as the best player in regards to age and skill set but since this is most valuable player for this season then Gibbs takes the 1 spot hands down. Gibbs will be more consistent, will have the ball in his hands the most, and will be the vocal leader for the team. I will give Dham the 2nd spot and Brimah the 3rd with Rodney close behind. Hopefully Brimah can stay on the court and be a consistent...

I expect and hope that Gibbs is our best/most important player this year. Dham has great potential, but has not shown the composure (as yet) to be "the guy." Neither has Rodney (as yet). I am really looking for Gibbs and Miller to bring that maturity, composure under stress, and leadership to take the team to another level. If all goes well, they could kind of take on the role that KEA brought to the Huskies. The PG is THE key position and I so hope that Gibbs can handle that role at a high level. He looks like he could be THE guy, with different strengths than our All American PGs, but serious strengths nonetheless. I hope each of our guys take a quantum leap, but none more than Rodney. As far as the team goes, I think that he is the most important from a cohesion/team focus perspective. If he plays well from the start, our team will have a better chance to come together.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
BONEYARD COMPOSITE RANKINGS

1. Daniel Hamilton
2. Sterling Gibbs
3. Amida Brimah
4. Rodney Purvis
5. Shonn Miller
6. Jalen Adams
7. Kentan Facey
8. Omar Calhoun
9. Steven Enoch
10. Phil Nolan
11. Sam Cassell Jr

Adams and Miller were almost tied, as were Nolan and Cassell.

On Purvis - If Purvis ends up being the most valuable player on a team that features as much talent as we have in our top 6, then we will be a very dangerous team.

Reaction Score
I'm optimistic about Cassell growing as a player, so him being 11th proves this team isn't without talent. A bench of facey , calhoun, nolan is filled with experience and good skill sets for limited tick; shooting, screen setting, offensive rebounding. A sound breakdown by the yard I'm excited to see Calhoun, who might be a darkhorse to garner minutes ( he played a ton at the end of the year).

Reaction Score
You just come off like a total stating these alleged "facts." You use words that have an undertone of trying to hurt someone's feelings. And yeah, that makes it (at least appear to outside observers) kinda personal. And you apparently aren't aware that you do so. You backpedal now but you just had to say "tiny arms" and "unable to dribble the basketball"

Kinda reminds me of the Asperger's kids I've worked with.

Reaction Score
You just come off like a total stating these alleged "facts." You use words that have an undertone of trying to hurt someone's feelings. And yeah, that makes it (at least appear to outside observers) kinda personal. And you apparently aren't aware that you do so. You backpedal now but you just had to say "tiny arms" and "unable to dribble the basketball"

Kinda reminds me of the Asperger's kids I've worked with.
don't get your panties in a twist. Both purvis and hamilton have poor 'reach'. Purvis plays at about the same reach that napier has and he isn't a pg, he's a shooting guard. Go back to working with those kids, i'm sure they could *use more astute direction from someone like you

Reaction Score
don't get your panties in a twist. Both purvis and hamilton have poor 'reach'. Purvis plays at about the same reach that napier has and he isn't a pg, he's a shooting guard. Go back to working with those kids, i'm sure they could *use more astute direction from someone like you
Exhibit B: you are perseveratively missing or ignoring the core issue that we have with your posting in this thread.

You're just plummeting down the spectrum one post at a time (Do you see what I'm doing here?).

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The amount of emotion in this thread is a function of the uncertainty surrounding Purvis, uncertainty based on his uneven performance last year.

We all hope March Purvis is the real Purvis. If he is, I'll gladly proclaim I was wrong about him if given the chance.
My reaction is that some people are applying different magnifying lenses to player's warts. I hate exposing issues with players because they provide so many positive aspects to the team. But no player outside of Ryan was consistently playing well over the entire course of the season.

I've pointed out the defense of two players, Purvis and DHam. I have a completely different perspective about this aspect of their game then you or James. Certainly I can be observing things incorrectly, but unless you are as obsessively compulsive as @champs99and04 and @johnhuskies95 who are currently watching tapes of last season and isolating players (outside of the emotional landscape of a season) I have to trust these two more than you and James. If they weren't doing this detailed exercise then we would have to agree to disagree. But since they have painstakingly performed this exercise (kudos to them), I have to wonder why you and James, both with astute bb minds, are so off the mark with regards to Rodney's defensive play.

Reaction Score
Hamilton
Gibbs
Miller
Purvis
Adams
Brimah
Calhoun
Facey
Enoch
Cassell
Nolan

Reaction Score
Do people think that Enoch will be able to play backup C when Brimah is out? I actually had him over Phil in my rankings but am reconsidering now that I've given it some thought. Phil should still be backing up the center position while Enoch will be behind Miller, Facey and even DH when he plays a few minutes at the 4. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Hamilton
Gibbs
Brimah
Purvis
Miller
Adams
Facey
Calhoun
Cassell
Nolan
Enoch

I am confused as to what @James said that has caused such an uproar. Purvis's wingspan and poor ball handling is a completely relevant reason for him not being our top player. In some cases we are putting him before our all conference big man and our newly acquired all big east 1st team transfer PG who led his conference in 3 pt %.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom