Randy has now fired BOTH of his coordinators! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Randy has now fired BOTH of his coordinators!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bizlaw has the right take on it. And yes, that should settle it.

If you accept that stance with artificial handicaps, then you have no right to expect P or any other coach to deliver above average results going forward. I like yo think that any time an individual is collecting a seven figure salary, fans absolutely should expect above average results. If that guy can't get it done, get someone who can.

We are always going to be in a non fertile recruiting area. Always going to have an off campus stadium. Always going to trail in the tradition department. You don't pay people seven figure salaries to use those things as excuses. You pay them to overcome those obstacles.

Reaction Score
Great points Carl. Pasqualoni was hired eleven days after Edsall was at MD. Yet, he was able to put together arguably a more formidable staff in less time than Edsall! So I don't agree with those who say that it's the calendar that determines whether or not you make good hires. Perhaps the best example of that is Don Brown himself. He agreed to stay with Edsall's staff originally, but then a few weeks later, he announced he was leaving it! If the only reason had been family (as was suggested by Edsall), the decision to leave would have been made before Brown agreed to coach with Edsall. After all, the search for a HC at MD had been going on for quite some time. Instead, Brown left after getting to know Edsall. That tells you all you need to know!

That's not correct. Coach Brown and Coach Edsall are very familiar with each other and have been acquainted for well over a decade, and probably longer. They've both were recruiting the same players 10-12 years ago, and have faced each other on opposing sidelines more than once.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you accept that stance with artificial handicaps, then you have no right to expect P or any other coach to deliver above average results going forward. I like yo think that any time an individual is collecting a seven figure salary, fans absolutely should expect above average results. If that guy can't get it done, get someone who can.

We are always going to be in a non fertile recruiting area. Always going to have an off campus stadium. Always going to trail in the tradition department. You don't pay people seven figure salaries to use those things as excuses. You pay them to overcome those obstacles.

The recruiting area isn't an artificial excuse. It wasn't a coincidence that the BCS title game did not feature one player on either roster from PA, NJ, NY or New England. It's not a coincidence that Boston College, UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers and even Penn State and Pitt have lesser talent than the southern teams.

A quick scan of the Orange Bowl rosters reveals one player from PA at Va Tech, no Northeast players with Clemson.

I don't feel like digging through the rosters, but you can probably count on one hand the number of players from the Northeast who played on the 10 teams in BCS bowls this season.

You can set your expectations wherever you like - I'm going to keep mine realistic... win the league.

Reaction Score
You old men who never followed college football before Edsall, need to understand something; some of us actually followed college football before UConn upgraded and we actually know what a great coach who deserves the kind of praise that all three of you heap on him looks like.

It ain't Randy.

Great coaches dominate and win big games. Edsall could barely beat Al Golden and Jim Grobe ran circles around him. Once Schiano got going he usually managed to get the best of Randy as well.

So you guys continue your plans for a Randy statue. We'll keep scratching our heads in wonder.

Wow...you followed FB before UConn upgraded? You should call the meatball over at Rivals and get yourself a job.

Many people, even some who know more than you and who have actually coached at the highest level of college FB, have given RE big time kudos for what he accomplished.

So you go ahead and keep embarrassing your all omnipotent self.

I've got to go "follow" football so I can tell others I know more than them.

The more you post the more obvious it becomes that your hate of all things Randy Edsall clouds your opinion on UConn related threads.

Reaction Score
That line about northeast players means nothing. Im pretty sure USC played in BCS title games with Brian Cushing and Dwayne Jarret on the roster. That'd off the top of my head with no research.

Why can't a coach at UConn build the program to similar level like Bill Snyder has done at KSU? I don't expect to be the big east BCS rep every year. I just believe UConn can be better than a perennial 7-5 program.

Reaction Score
Wow...you followed FB before UConn upgraded? You should call the meatball over at Rivals and get yourself a job.

Many people, even some who know more than you and who have actually coached at the highest level of college FB, have given RE big time kudos for what he accomplished.

The more you post the more obvious it becomes that your hate of all things Randy Edsall clouds your opinion on UConn related threads.
The recruiting area isn't an artificial excuse. It wasn't a coincidence that the BCS title game did not feature one player on either roster from PA, NJ, NY or New England. It's not a coincidence that Boston College, UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers and even Penn State and Pitt have lesser talent than the southern teams.

A quick scan of the Orange Bowl rosters reveals one player from PA at Va Tech, no Northeast players with Clemson.

I don't feel like digging through the rosters, but you can probably count on one hand the number of players from the Northeast who played on the 10 teams in BCS bowls this season.

You can set your expectations wherever you like - I'm going to keep mine realistic... win the league.

This is a load of crap. Crapola.

Reaction Score
What is? Are you suggesting that northeast talent is on par with the south? Or are you suggesting UConn should be pulling the talent level that Bama does and winning titles in our 10th friggin year in 1A football?

Reaction Score
Craig James saying nice things about Randy doesn't work in hs favor, or your arguments' favor for that matter.

Reaction Score
Aaron Hernandez is a pretty good player too I hear.

That line about northeast players means nothing. Im pretty sure USC played in BCS title games with Brian Cushing and Dwayne Jarret on the roster. That'd off the top of my head with no research.

Why can't a coach at UConn build the program to similar level like Bill Snyder has done at KSU? I don't expect to be the big east BCS rep every year. I just believe UConn can be better than a perennial 7-5 program.

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall is gone people.

Winning a league championship is the goal of every team, every year, in whatever league you play. If you can't set the goal of winning the league, then you've got a major job of program building on your hands when it comes to recruiting.

Edsall managed to do that, he's not an incompetent coach. I don't think there's anyone here that has said he is.

What Edsall did - as the whaler fan pointed out, is head coach a program to several bowl games, and two big east co-titles and a BCS game. What the whaler fan didn't point out, is that he managed to do that, without ever winning more than 8 games in a regular season, and having been ranked in the top 25 in the country for a grand total of 1 week, a week that ended with us getting the kicked out of us at home, by a real to 25 program.

THe buzz around UConn football at that time, a few years ago, was amazing. I look very much forward to the next time, the FIRST time, that two national ranked college football teams play a game at Rentschler field, and then to it becoming a regular thing. We're not that far away from making that happen.

Edsall wasn't getting the program there though, not by a long shot.

Can Pasqualoni? We'll see.

I have no doubt in my mind that Edsall....can....be successful at Maryland, I hope he does. He'll join a long, long line of football coaches that have ties to Connecticut and have had great success, going all the way back to the beginning of American football. The problem he faces, is that he cannot go 6-24 or whatever in his first three years, and go unnoticed, and have complete job security.

He's now full on - into what Pasqualoni called....high performance business. There's no throwing away games, or a season, and Edsall did exactly that in Maryland, threw away a season.

A parent of a player, asked me prior to this season, on this forum, if I thought that the new coaching staff would treat the 2010 season at UConn as a throwaway season as they transition. I said no, that's not how this coach operates, we'll find a way to be competitive, and still put in a new program.

Edsall did a great job at UConn. UConn can be better than what Edsall did at UConn. As for recruiting the Northeast USA for football players? I'm completely dumbfounded by the things I"ve read here about that.

Recruiting the northeast was difficult for Edsall, and he complained about it, because even after the state of the art facilities were built, he couldn't compete with the programs that have been plucking the best players for decades.

It shouldn't be shocking that there are a minimal number of players on southern US state programs from the northeast, and it certainly says nothing about the quality of top football players coming out of the northeast USA.

Dumb, dumb, dumb argument.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Aaron Hernandez is a pretty good player too I hear.

LOL. Funny how the top Northeast prospects end up in places like Florida. I'm sure it's Edsall's fault that Hernandez didn't go to Syracuse, Rutgers or Boston College as well.

Oh USC can cherry pick the very best players from the Northeast? Shocking - I wonder why a school that plays fast and loose with the rules, in a huge city that doesn't have an NFL team can recruit good players.

Go to a game in the south and buy a program. When you get to the 2 pages of color photos of the females who host recruits on their visits... you can't even look at them and keep a straight face.

All you need to do to compete with Alabama and Florida is come up with enough money to pay star players at the skill position and whore out the co-eds. Until you are willing to do that, you'll find that any coach you hire will have have this weird inability to not be able to recruit against southern schools.

I'm sure that YankeeConfGhost will tell me now about how Carm used to do it down at Yale and there are no disadvantages of being a school with crappy weather, harder academics, a small stadium, a disinterested fanbase.... that also happens to play by the rules. That's a bigger fantasy then his weekly motivational speeches.

Reaction Score
Craig James saying nice things about Randy doesn't work in hs favor, or your arguments' favor for that matter.

Wow. Just wow. You can point to one national commentator whom you think is a jerk, and that means that a national concensus on an opinion is therefor irrelevant. Nice logic.

Reaction Score
Wow. Just wow. You can point to one national commentator whom you think is a jerk, and that means that a national concensus on an opinion is therefor irrelevant. Nice logic.

Please don't tell me that you can't tell the difference between the senseless platitudes that commentators are practically obligated to make during games and true compliments.

Those guys probably said nice things about Ron Zook and Rick Neuheisel as well. Those are throwaway compliments.

Reaction Score
LOL. Funny how the top Northeast prospects end up in places like Florida. I'm sure it's Edsall's fault that Hernandez didn't go to Syracuse, Rutgers or Boston College as well.

Oh USC can cherry pick the very best players from the Northeast? Shocking - I wonder why a school that plays fast and loose with the rules, in a huge city that doesn't have an NFL team can recruit good players.

Go to a game in the south and buy a program. When you get to the 2 pages of color photos of the females who host recruits on their visits... you can't even look at them and keep a straight face.

All you need to do to compete with Alabama and Florida is come up with enough money to pay star players at the skill position and whore out the co-eds. Until you are willing to do that, you'll find that any coach you hire will have have this weird inability to not be able to recruit against southern schools.

I'm sure that YankeeConfGhost will tell me now about how Carm used to do it down at Yale and there are no disadvantages of being a school with crappy weather, harder academics, a small stadium, a disinterested fanbase.... that also happens to play by the rules. That's a bigger fantasy then his weekly motivational speeches.

Are you this miserable in real life? Sad. It's mid January, maybe you should be following hockey or something, it'll probably make you happier. We've got a pretty big recruiting weekend coming up for football, and I'm excited. I don't like energy suckers. Stop sucking.

Reaction Score
To be fair. I don't think anyone but TDHusky thinks that UConn can go head to head with Floriduh and Alabama.

Your other points are noted. But there is a big difference between being the class of Big East and rivaling the top 5 programs year in year out.

If you think UConn was the class of the conference under Rangoon, then I'll just throw my hands up because there isn't any sense in continuing this one.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you this miserable in real life? Sad. It's mid January, maybe you should be following hockey or something, it'll probably make you happier. We've got a pretty big recruiting weekend coming up for football, and I'm excited. I don't like energy suckers. Stop sucking.

How is being realistic about expectations being miserable in real life? Seems like it's the other way around. I was damn happy to go to the BCS and beat teams like South Carolina in bowls. Seems to me being miserable would be finding a way to say that 2 conf championships and 4 straight bowls isn't anywhere near enough.

I'm not changing the rules for P - he has done some good things. I can't stand the disorganization I saw at times - a staff with this much experience should not have that. I can't stand the fact they can't manage the clock at even an elementary level - it's pretty freaking easy. I unlike some others around here are not obsessed with what coaches say. I only care about what they do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To be fair. I don't think anyone but TDHusky thinks that UConn can go head to head with Floriduh and Alabama.

Your other points are noted. But there is a big difference between being the class of Big East and rivaling the top 5 programs year in year out.

If you think UConn was the class of the conference under Rangoon, then I'll just throw my hands up because there isn't any sense in continuing this one.

I don't think anyone was really the class of the Big East the last 5 years, but 2 conf co-championships certainly puts them in the top third of the league. From 2007-2010 they were certainly ahead of Pitt, Rutgers, USF, Syracuse and Louisville. Cinci had their run in the middle and West Virginia was probably ahead of them.

So after 5 years at 1-A they had a 4 year run where they were the 3rd best team in the league. Throw in 2 conf co-championships, a trip to the Fiesta and a win over a decent SEC team in a bowl? It's not Urban Meyer or Nick Saban but it's pretty good.

Reaction Score
Please don't tell me that you can't tell the difference between the senseless platitudes that commentators are practically obligated to make during games and true compliments.

Those guys probably said nice things about Ron Zook and Rick Neuheisel as well. Those are throwaway compliments.

So what you are saying is anyone who has an opinion that speaks highly of what RE has done has no credibility but your low opinion of him is the gospel according to Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Zoocougar?

Do your sandals ever get ruined when you walk on water?

Reaction Score
That's not correct. Coach Brown and Coach Edsall are very familiar with each other and have been acquainted for well over a decade, and probably longer. They've both were recruiting the same players 10-12 years ago, and have faced each other on opposing sidelines more than once.

Did Brown and Edsall "know" each other? Of course they did! But they did NOT know how they would work together on the same staff. That is what I was referring to with my comment. In the four weeks since Don Brown agreed to be the DC for Randy, he began to get a good idea of what Edsall was looking for on the defensive side, or rather what Edsall would "allow" Brown to do. DB likely began to realize that he wouldn't have the freedom to run the defense the way he truly felt it needed to be run, and certainly didn't care for that. Don't forget that the Brown defense was already in place for two years and producing good results by the second season. If Edsall was going to control it's aggressive nature in some way, I'm sure Brown didn't care for that. This, IMO, was why Brown decided to leave Maryland, after originally agreeing to be part of Randy's coaching team.

Reaction Score
You anti Edsall guys come off as spoiled whiny little girls. Randy was a good coach who did a great job of taking a bad 1AA team to where he left it last year. He was not an all time great coach but then again I've never heard anyone make that argument. There are plenty of things to criticize, but the hate on this board makes it impossible to have a rational discussion about him. I think in the Jim/Geno era if a guy doesn't come in and win a few National Championships this is the type of discussion you get.

And if you really followed college football for a long time you'd know how difficult it is to accomplish what we have.
This, exactly this. There are a lot of jilted lovers posting here. If the "unapoligistas" were told back in 2003/4 that by 2010/11 we'd have a share of 2 BE titles, played in a BCS bowl, beat ND in South Bend, and had a winning bowl record after going to bowl games more often than not, they would have signed up for that without thinking twice (rightfully so). As a program we are WAY ahead of schedule, and moving in the right direction. So, thank you RE for getting it started, and let's go PP - time to take this program to an even higher level.

Reaction Score
How can we be clearly ahead of teams like Pitt and Rutgers. Those teams beat us more than once during those years.

West Virginia, Probably? more like easily. We've beaten them exactly once. And in order for that to occur, they had to fumble a half dozen times.

The win over South Carolina was nice, but they were just about the worst SEC team that was bowl eligible.

We can do better than third best in an awful conference.

To each his own I guess.

Reaction Score
This, exactly this. There are a lot of jilted lovers posting here. If the "unapoligistas" were told back in 2003/4 that by 2010/11 we'd have a share of 2 BE titles, played in a BCS bowl, beat ND in South Bend, and had a winning bowl record after going to bowl games more often than not, they would have signed up for that without thinking twice (rightfully so). As a program we are WAY ahead of schedule, and moving in the right direction. So, thank you RE for getting it started, and let's go PP - time to take this program to an even higher level.

Not jilted... I wish he had left sooner.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How can we be clearly ahead of teams like Pitt and Rutgers. Those teams beat us more than once during those years.

West Virginia, Probably? more like easily. We've beaten them exactly once. And in order for that to occur, they had to fumble a half dozen times.

The win over South Carolina was nice, but they were just about the worst SEC team that was bowl eligible.

We can do better than third best in an awful conference.

To each his own I guess.

Because Rutgers and Pitt didn't win the league or go to the BCS. Seems pretty obvious that conference championships > small sample of head to head games.

We can do better than 3rd in an awful conference. To get to third with only a few years of existence in 1-A is pretty good. I'm not sure how someone could see it any other way, but I guess I'm the 'miserable' one.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not jilted... I wish he had left sooner.

I know I certainly enjoyed 5-7 with home losses to MAC teams much better than the four prior seasons!

Reaction Score
So what you are saying is anyone who has an opinion that speaks highly of what RE has done has no credibility but your low opinion of him is the gospel according to Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Zoocougar?

Do your sandals ever get ruined when you walk on water?

No they are completely indestructible.

Not my fault that you can't tell the difference between a real compliment and a tipsy Bob Davies filling the time with vacuous platitudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom