Randy has now fired BOTH of his coordinators! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Randy has now fired BOTH of his coordinators!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No they are completely indestructible.

Not my fault that you can't tell the difference between a real compliment and a tipsy Bob Davies filling the time with vacuous platitudes.

The job that Edsall did was highly respected by the national writers. Not just the idiots on TV that say nice things about almost everyone.

You guys have some legitimate points - like the record against Top 25 teams. Why do you harp on such stupid incorrect ones all the time?

Reaction Score
I know I certainly enjoyed 5-7 with home losses to MAC teams much better than the four prior seasons!

Do you see me apologizing for Pasqualoni? At least do me the courtesy of attacking arguments that I actually make.

You can wax nostalgic to the glory years of Edsall all you want. You guys believe more in him than he did in his own program.

Reaction Score
The job that Edsall did was highly respected by the national writers. Not just the idiots on TV that say nice things about almost everyone.

You guys have some legitimate points - like the record against Top 25 teams. Why do you harp on such stupid incorrect ones all the time?

Because after we made that point, you should have thrown in the towel. The rest is gravy really.

National writers? What do they say now?

Reaction Score
Did Brown and Edsall "know" each other? Of course they did! But they did NOT know how they would work together on the same staff. That is what I was referring to with my comment. In the four weeks since Don Brown agreed to be the DC for Randy, he began to get a good idea of what Edsall was looking for on the defensive side, or rather what Edsall would "allow" Brown to do. DB likely began to realize that he wouldn't have the freedom to run the defense the way he truly felt it needed to be run, and certainly didn't care for that. Don't forget that the Brown defense was already in place for two years and producing good results by the second season. If Edsall was going to control it's aggressive nature in some way, I'm sure Brown didn't care for that. This, IMO, was why Brown decided to leave Maryland, after originally agreeing to be part of Randy's coaching team.

I have absolutely nothing to base what I"m about to write on besides my own unfoudned opinion, and i think you are right, in one respect, Edsall would not have agreed with D. Brown's defensive style.

But I think that the moment that Don Brown found out that Randy Edsall was the next head coach at Maryland, which most likely came as a surprise sometime aroudn Jan. 2, 2011, that was the moment that he knew he would be looking elsewhere for a job.

We're talkign about two diametrically opposed individuals here, based on what they do on and off the football field.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because after we made that point, you should have thrown in the towel. The rest is gravy really.

National writers? What do they say now?

Well assuming they have a pulse, they would say he did a good job at UConn and has started off horribly at Maryland.

Reaction Score
Well assuming they have a pulse, they would say he did a good job at UConn and has started off horribly at Maryland.

In the most respectful tone I can summon, Randy was really overrated. He didn't have any big wins to back the praise he did get. Edsall was the HC at UConn, he wasn't coaching in the Yukon.

Reaction Score
Not jilted... I wish he had left sooner.

And I wish the guy had stayed, and just been able to recognize that he needed to change his program, and his approach, to make it better. He would have hit critical point after the Oklahoma game, and would have had to answer questions as to what and why he was doing things, and doing that, is not something Randy Edsall was good at, and he would have had to change. I looked forward to it, b/c the level of success he had at UConn, basically would have forced him to change, or start to sink. So very frustrating. There are so many people out there that could have helped make this program stronger, better, and even faster than Edsall accomplished it.

But he took his program to Maryland, and didn't change a thing.

I didn't believe the people that have said for years that he didn't really believe in UConn, and the potential of this football program, right up until Jan. 1, 2011. I guess that thing about hindsight though.......should have paid more attention.

Reaction Score
This, exactly this. There are a lot of jilted lovers posting here. If the "unapoligistas" were told back in 2003/4 that by 2010/11 we'd have a share of 2 BE titles, played in a BCS bowl, beat ND in South Bend, and had a winning bowl record after going to bowl games more often than not, they would have signed up for that without thinking twice (rightfully so). As a program we are WAY ahead of schedule, and moving in the right direction. So, thank you RE for getting it started, and let's go PP - time to take this program to an even higher level.

Very well said. But if the almighty himself tried telling that to Wisky, it would just make Wisky an atheist.

Reaction Score
For the record - we went 9-3 in 2003 and were spurned for a bowl game b/c we were an independant,and in 2004 we went to our first bowl game iwth an 8-4 recrod and won convincingly. We had not only a brand new stadium, but brand new state of the art training facilities on campus. If you had told me in 2004, that by 2010, we would not reach 9 regular season wins again, I would have not believed you.

Now if you had told me in 2000, after going 7-15, and having the entire idea of upgrading to 1-A status dead in the water, that by 2010, we'd be in a BCS bowl, I'd have said you were crazy.

Recruiting. That's what all college sports is about. Recruiting student athletes.

Reaction Score
For the record - we went 9-3 in 2003 and were spurned for a bowl game b/c we were an independant,and in 2004 we went to our first bowl game iwth an 8-4 recrod and won convincingly. We had not only a brand new stadium, but brand new state of the art training facilities on campus. If you had told me in 2004, that by 2010, we would not reach 9 regular season wins again, I would have not believed you.

Now if you had told me in 2000, after going 7-15, and having the entire idea of upgrading to 1-A status dead in the water, that by 2010, we'd be in a BCS bowl, I'd have said you were crazy.

Recruiting. That's what all college sports is about. Recruiting student athletes.

Why would you bother posting if you don't bother to get your facts right? We won 9 regular season games in '07. Against a schedule light years harder than the schedule we won nine games against in '03 (where we had six regular season wins against non-BCS teams). But hey -- you have a conclusion in mind so why let facts interfere.

Reaction Score
You know, as a I read back through this thing, I keep coming back to the same thought. Husky Pride.

I honestly wonder, if in his entire career at UConn, if Randy Edsall ever felt the pride. If he was ever proud to walk out on that sideline, especially into a place like the Big House, and be wearing the husky blue and white.

I honestly wonder that.

I've never said he wasn't a good coach, I have said he wasn't a great coach. The successes he led the program to, are substantial. Unprecedented. But you can't only look at one side of the coin either, in what he accomplished.

But the Husky Pride.

It's not something you should ever be wondering about the head coach of your football program, past, present, or future.

Because it all comes down to recruiting. The sustained success of any intercollegiate sport, at the desired level of success, is directly related to the ability to recruit student athletes that can compete at the desired level of success in the classroom and on the field of play.

Randy Edsall recruited student athletes for Randy Edsall. That's all there was in the beginning. Randy Edsall and the goal of playing at a new, higher level of football.

It needed to change. He needed to change, and start recruiting for UConn, not Randy Edsall.

Paul Pasqualoni is recruiting student athletes for UConn.

Husky Pride.

This is all I'm going to write on this subject.

I'm looking forward to recruiting signign day.

Reaction Score
You know, as a I read back through this thing, I keep coming back to the same thought. Husky Pride.

I honestly wonder, if in his entire career at UConn, if Randy Edsall ever felt the pride. If he was ever proud to walk out on that sideline, especially into a place like the Big House, and be wearing the husky blue and white.

I honestly wonder that.

I've never said he wasn't a good coach, I have said he wasn't a great coach. The successes he led the program to, are substantial. Unprecedented. But you can't only look at one side of the coin either, in what he accomplished.

But the Husky Pride.

It's not something you should ever be wondering about the head coach of your football program, past, present, or future.

Because it all comes down to recruiting. The sustained success of any intercollegiate sport, at the desired level of success, is directly related to the ability to recruit student athletes that can compete at the desired level of success in the classroom and on the field of play.

Randy Edsall recruited student athletes for Randy Edsall. That's all there was in the beginning. Randy Edsall and the goal of playing at a new, higher level of football.

It needed to change. He needed to change, and start recruiting for UConn, not Randy Edsall.

Husky Pride.

Carl, are you smoking weed right now?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I honestly wonder that.

But the Husky Pride.

Husky Pride.

Please, Randy Edsall didn't have Husky Pride. It seemed as though a big part of the reason he wanted out was Jeff Hathaway. The same Jeff Hathaway that the majority of the Boneyard hated.

Can we at least see who P gets to campus before it's decided that he's doing a better job recruiting? It is going to take 3 years before anyone knows if he's improved recruiting or not, because if you are letting websites decide... well that's insane.

Reaction Score
Please, Randy Edsall didn't have Husky Pride. It seemed as though a big part of the reason he wanted out was Jeff Hathaway. The same Jeff Hathaway that the majority of the Boneyard hated.

Can we at least see who P gets to campus before it's decided that he's doing a better job recruiting? It is going to take 3 years before anyone knows if he's improved recruiting or not, because if you are letting websites decide... well that's insane.

Some people have these websites determine their bonus

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I think it is a powerful statement that when UConn won the Big East tri-championship and went to the Fiesta Bowl, both of the other tri-champions fired their coach.
How's that working out for them by the way?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Uh, WVU just won the league and hung 70 on Clemson in the Orange Bowl. Pretty good for them, I'd say.
And Pitt? And WVU was only co-champs why didn't they fire the guy? I mean if being in a 3 way tie for first in the Big East is so bad...

Reaction Score
And Pitt? And WVU was only co-champs why didn't they fire the guy? I mean if being in a 3 way tie for first in the Big East is so bad...

You get half credit. Pitt's been a disaster since firing Wanny (although I think they've made a very good hire this time around), WVU is doing just fine without Stewart.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
You get half credit. Pitt's been a disaster since firing Wanny (although I think they've made a very good hire this time around), WVU is doing just fine without Stewart.
I still think jpm25 was making way to much out of people being fired for "only" getting a share of the Big East title, as if that was the reason they were fired.

Reaction Score
I still think jpm25 was making way to much out of people being fired for "only" getting a share of the Big East title, as if that was the reason they were fired.

That is not my point. Progress depends on where you came from and winning the BE in 2010 at 8-4 was nothing to write home about (or keep your job)

Reaction Score
Also . . . college football, like the NFL or MLB or NCAA hoops etc., is entertainment. As such programs, leagues, sports need to be mindful that their "product" is competing in the entertainment arena (including movies, concerts and the like).

With this thought in mind, how "entertaining" is a Randy Edsall offense (run right, run left, run up the middle) or a "bend-don't-break" defense that shuns the blitz in favor of a prevent defense.

Just saying . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32