Randy has now fired BOTH of his coordinators! | The Boneyard

Randy has now fired BOTH of his coordinators!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One year after taking over at MD and hiring two coordinators of his choosing, RE has now fired both of them! As I recall, both were considered questionable hires at the time last season. Kind of interesting that a guy who retained so many of assistants for long periods at UC, had bad hires in the two most important positions in just his first year! So was it that the kids just didn't execute their duties well...or was it that the HC didn't execute HIS duties too well?

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ford-maryland-terrapins-defensive-coordinator

Reaction Score
they'll be broke by 2013. He has a 700k buyout and they will need to pay new DC at least 350/year. Oops there goes another sports program at Dream U.

Reaction Score
Edsall is just scapegoating, same as he always does.

I would agree with this as long as one assumes that Edsall actually fired these guys as opposed to being told to fire these guys. This reeks of a PR move by the school to satisfy the fanbase. Only problem is that Maryland's dismal season was mostly due to Edsall losing the team.

Reaction Score
they'll be broke by 2013. He has a 700k buyout and they will need to pay new DC at least 350/year. Oops there goes another sports program at Dream U.

Along those lines Gioff, I posted a link, in another thread, to a related story yesterday regarding the outrageous pay scale which MD has for it's assistant coaches. It fits the discussion here, so I'll re-post it:

Here's an interesting article regarding how crazy the pay levels are for Maryland's assistant coaches. It also discusses both Edsall and Anderson and their relationship to the situation. It was written prior to the Crowton-Locksley switch, but is still very pertinent. One conclusion that appears safe to draw from all of this is, Don Brown did not leave Maryland a year ago because of money!

http://www.testudotimes.com/2011/12...-football-assistants-are-really-overpaid-post

Reaction Score
Edsall is in the midst of a disaster. For whatever reason he was in a big hurry to get out of UCONN and I think he rushed this decision. He's a good coach and he made a horrific career move. He may be two and out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He's a good coach and he made a horrific career move.

Poor baby. I guess when he said he would be at "UConn for as long as you'll have me" he really meant " I will leave UConn for whoever will have me." I hope we kick his ass.

Reaction Score
It's not Edsall's fault t.hat he hired the wrong coordinators, it was the players and the fact the plumbing in the Maryland Football Complex backed up and they had to work out of trailers and port a potties.

Reaction Score
One year after taking over at MD and hiring two coordinators of his choosing, RE has now fired both of them! As I recall, both were considered questionable hires at the time last season. Kind of interesting that a guy who retained so many of assistants for long periods at UC, had bad hires in the two most important positions in just his first year! So was it that the kids just didn't execute their duties well...or was it that the HC didn't execute HIS duties too well?

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ford-maryland-terrapins-defensive-coordinator
To be fair, Edsall's first choice for defensive coordinator was Brown. Bradford was brought in after he left for UCONN. And also to be fair, while UCONN tended to keep its coaches under Edsall, that wasn't true early on. It took a couple of tries before he settled on Norries Wilson as OC.

Reaction Score
But, he doesn't have the time at Maryland. This was a successful program in 2010 that returned a lot of that talent and a very promising QB also with experience. I almost think Randy thinks this is the same gig as getting UCONN from 1AA to 1A. It isn't and now his seat is white hot...

Reaction Score
To be fair, Edsall's first choice for defensive coordinator was Brown. Bradford was brought in after he left for UCONN. And also to be fair, while UCONN tended to keep its coaches under Edsall, that wasn't true early on. It took a couple of tries before he settled on Norries Wilson as OC.

It's true that Brown was Edsall's first choice for DC. However, after Brown decided he couldn't work for Edsall and left, it was totally Edsall's call to make. When he hired Bradford, it was roundly questioned on the Maryland boards, as Bradford's record at Southern Miss. was anything, but impressive. I think the hire spoke to Edsall's lack of options at that point, which in turn could have been related to his lack of good contacts, and questionable reputation to work for, in the coaching community.

Reaction Score
It's true that Brown was Edsall's first choice for DC. However, after Brown decided he couldn't work for Edsall and left, it was totally Edsall's call to make. When he hired Bradford, it was roundly questioned on the Maryland boards, as Bradford's record at Southern Miss. was anything, but impressive. I think the hire spoke to Edsall's lack of options at that point, which in turn could have been related to his lack of good contacts, and questionable reputation to work for, in the coaching community.

Or, it could have related to the fact that he started far too late to make putting together a new staff work, because he wasn't willing to bail on UConn before the Fiesta Bowl. Don't you think there is a reason that Brian Kelley and Rich Rod and even Todd Graham all left before their team's bowl games?

Reaction Score
Or, it could have related to the fact that he started far too late to make putting together a new staff work, because he wasn't willing to bail on UConn before the Fiesta Bowl. Don't you think there is a reason that Brian Kelley and Rich Rod and even Todd Graham all left before their team's bowl games?
I actually agree with that, too. It put both UCONN and Maryland in somewhat tricky positions with respect to filling coaching positions.

Reaction Score

I don't necessarily agree. If we had lost Don Brown this year, I believe PP would have come up with a very good replacement for him. That would have been due mainly to his extensive list of coaching contacts and his reputation as a good guy to work for and with. The same does not apply to RE I believe.

But for a moment let's assume your point is accurate. So if there are slim pickin's available at that time, why would you ever give these absolutely huge contracts to guys you're not even sure are of the caliber you desire? You certainly don't need to give out that kind of money to coordinators in order compete with most programs in the country, so why do it?

Reaction Score
Oh boy. On January 2nd, 2011, the same time Edsall was wearing his new colors on the Maryland campus, Paul Pasqualoni was coaching the Dallas Cowboys defense at Lincoln Financial field against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Pasqualoni had less time than Edsall to put together a staff, and in the year since, he's been able to get people clearly in position underneath him for opportunites to get playing time elsewhere, or coaching advancement opportunities on their plates, where in Edsall's case, he's got multiple people (both players and coaches) underneath him fired and/or running out the door in droves.

Reaction Score

I agree with the premise. I do not agree with this "because he wasn't willing to bail on UConn before the Fiesta Bowl" There was no way he was not running out on the field in a BCS game, no way. He didn't run out there for UConn or his players, he ran out there for him. If we were in the papajohn's bowl, he would have bailed for his dream job in mid-december.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I do not agree with this "because he wasn't willing to bail on UConn before the Fiesta Bowl" There was no way he was not running out on the field in a BCS game, no way. He didn't run out there for UConn or his players, he ran out there for him. If we were in the papajohn's bowl, he would have bailed for his dream job in mid-december.

I agree. Everything Randy did was for Randy. I would have preferred having a UConn man coaching instead of a Maryland man.

Reaction Score
I agree with the premise. I do not agree with this "because he wasn't willing to bail on UConn before the Fiesta Bowl" There was no way he was not running out on the field in a BCS game, no way. He didn't run out there for UConn or his players, he ran out there for him. If we were in the papajohn's bowl, he would have bailed for his dream job in mid-december.

O.K. It's great to make clear, unequivocal statements where you know that no one will ever know if you're right, but you may be right. I don't know what Edsall's motives were -- I can only assume.

I do know, however, that a bailing coach who sticks around for a bowl game is better than one who doesn't no matter what the motivation. It's like saying someone is only a good husband because he doesn't want to lose half his stuff in a divorce. As if the good act wasn't being the good husband whatever the motivation.

Reaction Score
If he was leaving, I'd rather he did prior to the Fiesta Bowl. Neither UConn or UMD benefited from him waiting. But, he got to coach in a BCS bowl. Probably the only one he ever will coach in.

Reaction Score
Oh boy. On January 2nd, 2011, the same time Edsall was wearing his new colors on the Maryland campus, Paul Pasqualoni was coaching the Dallas Cowboys defense at Lincoln Financial field against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Pasqualoni had less time than Edsall to put together a staff, and in the year since, he's been able to get people clearly in position underneath him for opportunites to get playing time elsewhere, or coaching advancement opportunities on their plates, where in Edsall's case, he's got multiple people (both players and coaches) underneath him fired and/or running out the door in droves.

You really think P had the staff this year he would have had if he had more time? I don't think it was even close. He wouldn't have lost Terry Richardson. He wouldn't have been paying Hank Hughes and Morehead coordinators salaries to be position costs who weren't running the D and O, respectively. And he might have made other changes.

I know we're supposed to be treating Edsall like the anti-Christ, but isn't there enough criticism you can heap on him for what he actually did (which was take a team with promise and dunk it in the toilet) without blaming him for situations that many programs and coaches go through because of the time pressures in the calendar?

Reaction Score

Great points Carl. Pasqualoni was hired eleven days after Edsall was at MD. Yet, he was able to put together arguably a more formidable staff in less time than Edsall! So I don't agree with those who say that it's the calendar that determines whether or not you make good hires. Perhaps the best example of that is Don Brown himself. He agreed to stay with Edsall's staff originally, but then a few weeks later, he announced he was leaving it! If the only reason had been family (as was suggested by Edsall), the decision to leave would have been made before Brown agreed to coach with Edsall. After all, the search for a HC at MD had been going on for quite some time. Instead, Brown left after getting to know Edsall. That tells you all you need to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom