Randy has now fired BOTH of his coordinators! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Randy has now fired BOTH of his coordinators!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If he was leaving, I'd rather he did prior to the Fiesta Bowl. Neither UConn or UMD benefited from him waiting. But, he got to coach in a BCS bowl. Probably the only one he ever will coach in.

O.K. I fully believe you believe that. I couldn't disagree with you more, because we absolutely had a better chance to win the game without him throwing things into turmoil, and that should have been his and everyone's first priority, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Reaction Score
Oh boy. On January 2nd, 2011, the same time Edsall was wearing his new colors on the Maryland campus, Paul Pasqualoni was coaching the Dallas Cowboys defense at Lincoln Financial field against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Pasqualoni had less time than Edsall to put together a staff, and in the year since, he's been able to get people clearly in position underneath him for opportunites to get playing time elsewhere, or coaching advancement opportunities on their plates, where in Edsall's case, he's got multiple people (both players and coaches) underneath him fired and/or running out the door in droves.

And by the way -- to use what P accomplished this year as a model of what Edsall could have done is beyond stupid. No other way to say it. We were so disorganized on the field at times this year that how you'd use P's season as a good example for anything is beyond me.

Now, that is neither to blame P too much for needing a second season to implement his stuff, or giving Edsall a pass for his train wreck at Maryland. But sheesh, please at least attempt to be credible.

Reaction Score
O.K. It's great to make clear, unequivocal statements where you know that no one will ever know if you're right, but you may be right. I don't know what Edsall's motives were -- I can only assume.

I do know, however, that a bailing coach who sticks around for a bowl game is better than one who doesn't no matter what the motivation. It's like saying someone is only a good husband because he doesn't want to lose half his stuff in a divorce. As if the good act wasn't being the good husband whatever the motivation.

I don't believe it is great to make clear, unequivocal statements where you know that no one will ever know if you're right, but you may be right -- that's why i took exception to it :oops:

Reaction Score
To be fair, Edsall's first choice for defensive coordinator was Brown. Bradford was brought in after he left for UCONN. And also to be fair, while UCONN tended to keep its coaches under Edsall, that wasn't true early on. It took a couple of tries before he settled on Norries Wilson as OC.

To be fair, Bradford was hired as LB coach and was elevated when Brown left. OC was supposedly Anderson's call.

I don't buy that Edsall didn't have time to put coordinators in place - look at how much movement there is this year even now.

Reaction Score
You really think P had the staff this year he would have had if he had more time? I don't think it was even close. He wouldn't have lost Terry Richardson. He wouldn't have been paying Hank Hughes and Morehead coordinators salaries to be position costs who weren't running the D and O, respectively. And he might have made other changes.

I know we're supposed to be treating Edsall like the anti-Christ, but isn't there enough criticism you can heap on him for what he actually did (which was take a team with promise and dunk it in the toilet) without blaming him for situations that many programs and coaches go through because of the time pressures in the calendar?

And by the way -- to use what P accomplished this year as a model of what Edsall could have done is beyond stupid. No other way to say it. We were so disorganized on the field at times this year that how you'd use P's season as a good example for anything is beyond me.

Now, that is neither to blame P too much for needing a second season to implement his stuff, or giving Edsall a pass for his train wreck at Maryland. But sheesh, please at least attempt to be credible.

Hold on friend. I don't have a clue as to how or why you have such an attachment to Edsall, and personally, I'm sorry if you're offended, but this is a public forum...and that said, I was responding to the comments you made about Edsall first.

Or, it could have related to the fact that he started far too late to make putting together a new staff work, because he wasn't willing to bail on UConn before the Fiesta Bowl. Don't you think there is a reason that Brian Kelley and Rich Rod and even Todd Graham all left before their team's bowl games?

The concept of 'starting too late' to put together a new staff is flat out wrong. He might not have been willing to bail on UConn before the Fiesta Bowl, or he may not have had the opportunity to, we'll never know. You, though, bringing up those other situations, make it seem that those guys left their teams before bowl games so that it would somehow make it easier to hire better staffs or something? I completely disagree with that too. Edsall's difficulty with coaching hires so far in Maryland is a pretty telling thing about the guy.

Truth be out, the way Hathaway set up all the assistants contracts, was a frigging nightmare for any coach coming in. Any one of the assistants could easily have broken the contracts they had in place for what - 24 hours? before Edsall left without any notice? Could P realistically walk into the UConn offices two weeks later and expect any one of the staff to honor those contracts and not be knee deep in interviews elsewhere already - as he's trying to keep a recruiting class togehter?

I'm sure had all of the guys on staff sweating bullets at night. Most coaching contracts run academic year, not calendar year. But Hathaway did it calendar year. But that's not really relevant.

I"m sure that if P wanted to bring in an entire new staff, it would have happened. What he did do, was move coaches around, and challenge people to learn and do new things, and put people with proven track records of strenght, into positions of strength, not because they were under contract, but because we've got good coaches on this staff. The fact that they were able to move around, and do new things and still ahve some level of success, is all you need to know. The entire coaching staff is much more well rounded this year now.

The rest of my response was simple statement of fact. In the year since, Edsall has headed a program that has seen coaches fired, and players requesting transfer out in huge numbers. PLayers transferring out with unfavorable views of what's happening around them, and talking about it publicly. We have had a program which has seen TWO assistants interview for head coaching jobs, and one get hired, and one walk away from a potential head coaching job to return. We have had several players transfer out, all on good terms, and all to places better suited for their needs and goals. We have several players tranferring IN. I said nothing about the performance of this team on the field, yet you bring it up. Edsall's team finished 2-10 and was a trainwreck. We went 5-7, and had you complaining about how we could have done better with Edsall's systems. In the meantime, we managed to send the seniors out by beating the out of Rutgers on senior day and competing for a bowl game during a transition year. We've managed to attract a load of offensive talent that would never have come with Edsall's systems, and have actually landed a few players, and hopefully more before groundhog day.

I don't think Edsall is the anti-christ, but he was certainly not Bobby Dodd either. I greatly hoped he would become like Bobby Dodd though, but he never recognized a need to change anything about the way he operated, and I'm not sure he'll have the time he needs in Maryland to replicate the level of success that he did here, but I am sure he won't have the privacy and dictatorship authority he had here.

We're well on into better things.

Reaction Score
O.K. It's great to make clear, unequivocal statements where you know that no one will ever know if you're right, but you may be right. I don't know what Edsall's motives were -- I can only assume.

I do know, however, that a bailing coach who sticks around for a bowl game is better than one who doesn't no matter what the motivation. It's like saying someone is only a good husband because he doesn't want to lose half his stuff in a divorce. As if the good act wasn't being the good husband whatever the motivation.

Odds are you are wrong. How do you know "that a bailing coach who sticks around for a bowl game is better than one who doesn't no matter what the motivation."? You know Pitt would have done better in their bowl if their coach told them I've taken another job but I'll coach the bowl game? You know that WV would have done better in the bowl game if DickRod had said I'll coach before I go to Michigan - oh wait, WV won; I guess you know WV would have won by more.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Bradford was hired as LB coach and was elevated when Brown left. OC was supposedly Anderson's call.

Crowton's hiring was surprising to me. Does anyone know if he and Edsall had a working relationship before MD? Not surprised that it was Anderson's call.

Reaction Score
Crowton's hiring was surprising to me. Does anyone know if he and Edsall had a working relationship before MD? Not surprised that it was Anderson's call.

Apparently they did have a previous working relationship...at BCU of all places! Good article describing things is linked below. It sounds as if Edsall made the phone call and was the reason for the hire. Edsall "called and said he wanted to have a very aggressive, wide open offense, like we did together at Boston College, and like I'd run at Louisiana Tech and Oregon," Crowton said. "So he's going to bring me out there and we're going to put that together.

I guess the friendship wasn't worth a second season. Maybe this is why Edsall has a different reputation in the coaching community than Pasqualoni does.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6018543

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
O.K. I fully believe you believe that. I couldn't disagree with you more, because we absolutely had a better chance to win the game without him throwing things into turmoil, and that should have been his and everyone's first priority, but you're entitled to your opinion.

If you think that Randy is such a magnanimous guy that he coached in Fiesta Bowl because it was in UConn's best interests.....well....we'll agree to disagree. Worst case scenario we get blown out by Oklahoma. Nick Saban could've coach us in Glendale last year......we weren't winning.

There was one reason that Randy coached in the Fiesta Bowl.......Randy.

Reaction Score
Of course no one knows (except BusinessLawyer) but word from their fans was that Crowton was Andersons call

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Thank you Randy -- Thanks for talking to MD all week and then leading the team out to get humiliated 48-20. What a guy!

Reaction Score
All this Edsall bashing might make you feel good, but dont be so sure Edsall won't turn the Terps around this year. Despite all the revisionist adulation for Friedgen, that team was a mess. Edsall brought tough love, weeding out the bad apples with the negative attitudes that had the Terps quitting on their season. But a lot of the talent is still there. I say the Terps will be the surprise team in The ACC.

Reaction Score
All this Edsall bashing might make you feel good, but dont be so sure Edsall won't turn the Terps around this year. Despite all the revisionist adulation for Friedgen, that team was a mess. Edsall brought tough love, weeding out the bad apples with the negative attitudes that had the Terps quitting on their season. But a lot of the talent is still there. I say the Terps will be the surprise team in The ACC.

A mess according to who? Edsall? People like to believe that Maryland was some sort of Renegade program, from where I sit, it doesn't seem any worse off than our Men's Basketball program.

Hey Apologist Deniers. The next time you guys try to tell us that their was no such thing as Edsall worshippers can I reference posts like this?

Edsall apparently doesn't even have the power to hire his own coordinators and yet he's still going to be smash hit despite the fact that he hasn't done anything to indicate that he isn't in over his head and the fact that most of the fanbase has written him off.

OK.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Maryland can go 3-9 and still boast a 50% increase in wins over 2011. I think he's a solid coach with underwhelming people skills. He's kicked out the do-rags and erased a 9-win season in 3 months. So what if he gets to 6-6? that would still mean he put up less wins in his first 2 seasons than Fridge did in the final season before he was fired. Sometimes it's about doing things the right way. For Edsall, it's about doing things the Randy way.

Reaction Score
So if he wins the ACC you'll do what? Enough with the apologista crap. You don't have a clue what he faced on that team down there. He'll have a very successful tenure in College Park.

Reaction Score
Apparently they did have a previous working relationship...at BCU of all places! Good article describing things is linked below. It sounds as if Edsall made the phone call and was the reason for the hire. Edsall "called and said he wanted to have a very aggressive, wide open offense, like we did together at Boston College, and like I'd run at Louisiana Tech and Oregon," Crowton said. "So he's going to bring me out there and we're going to put that together.

I guess the friendship wasn't worth a second season. Maybe this is why Edsall has a different reputation in the coaching community than Pasqualoni does.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6018543

i like p, and think he has many admirable traits, but his reputation with respect to loyalty concerns me a little bit. deleone has had a number of head-scratching moments this past season, both play-calling and game management. i think he is past the point of getting better with age. if things go sour with deleone, p's track record suggests that he will be slow on the trigger. this is the one thing i have learned from reading the syracuse boards. besides their delusional perception of themselves.

Reaction Score
My sense is that when The Huskies hire their new AD, Pres. Herbst will advise him to watch out for that. Given her vision of UConn's future place in the academic spectrum, she won't tolerate a downward slide in our "front porch" programs. (She believes athletics--especially televised athletics-- are the front porch of a university.)

Reaction Score
I don't know what to think about RE's motivations. I wish he had left better. I think he does deserve some type of honor in the Burton, such as a plaque, or some area named after him. He did a fine job. Not a better job than PP, or anyone else, would have done, imho. The setup was here. It was a BCS conference. Of course you could recruit the scraps and leftovers that other BCS teams didn't want. He did a fine job. His classless manner of leaving? Have to forgive and forget.

Reaction Score
So if he wins the ACC you'll do what? Enough with the apologista crap. You don't have a clue what he faced on that team down there. He'll have a very successful tenure in College Park.

I heard it was a real horror show in Maryland. Players wore earrings and listened to rap music in the locker room.

Reaction Score
I don't know what to think about RE's motivations. I wish he had left better. I think he does deserve some type of honor in the Burton, such as a plaque, or some area named after him. He did a fine job. Not a better job than PP, or anyone else, would have done, imho. The setup was here. It was a BCS conference. Of course you could recruit the scraps and leftovers that other BCS teams didn't want. He did a fine job. His classless manner of leaving? Have to forgive and forget.
So the plaque should say heres to being average?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom