Randy Edsall: “We’re not changing. We’re not going to change” | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall: “We’re not changing. We’re not going to change”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Also does anyone else think it's incredibly hilarious and ironic that the guy who cancelled the annual spring game is now talking about focusing on getting game reps and scrimmages in the spring?
I mean did you see the attendance of the spring games since the end of PP's run? If a few hundred people are going to show up for a glorified practice is it really worth even holding? No. The spring games were actual pretty popular Edsall's first time around and he literally has the best recruiting class we've seen since you know Edsall's last time around. We get it you hate the guy, but he is clearly the best coach we've had at UConn since he was here the first time.

Reaction Score
who exactly are we going to play? plus, not sure if you've noticed but almost 1/4 of all games this season have either been postponed or cancelled from covid.
I agree with you on the opponents but the games getting postponed/canceled is just part of safety protocol. This is nowhere close to anything that resembles a 'real' season. You schedule a handful of games and if most get canceled for safety reasons, that's part of the deal. You are no worse off than just giving up.

When I heard about not wanting to lose eligibility, I thought that made sense. But when the NCAA gave every team a redshirt regardless, there is no reason not to at least safely try. And if 1/4 or even 3/4 or all the games are canceled, again, that is just the world we live in right now.

But back to the first point, at this late part of the season, outside of UMass, is there anyone to even schedule?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I mean did you see the attendance of the spring games since the end of PP's run? If a few hundred people are going to show up for a glorified practice is it really worth even holding? No. The spring games were actual pretty popular Edsall's first time around and he literally has the best recruiting class we've seen since you know Edsall's last time around. We get it you hate the guy, but he is clearly the best coach we've had at UConn since he was here the first time.

In what way does his 3-30 against FBS teams since coming back in 2017 make him "clearly the best coach we've had at UConn since he was here the first time"? The best coach period that's been here was Rhett Lashlee and Randy hated him and handcuffed him and basically forced him to leave.

Also- newsflash- EVERYONE hosts a spring game. They don't need to even do it at The Rent, hold it on campus open up the facility for a tour and cocktail hour and play it at the new soccer stadium for all I care. It's about promoting the program and providing insight and accessibility to the team for fans and media. It's also kind of important for, you know, the PLAYERS to be put into live game situations and see how they react.

Drew

Reaction Score
who exactly are we going to play? plus, not sure if you've noticed but almost 1/4 of all games this season have either been postponed or cancelled from covid.
We could play UMass, two FCS games, and be on standby to fill in for any of the non-conference games that get cancelled. Army still has an opening and BYU has like 4. Play 4-5 games and call it a season. We are literally set to play against nobody in the spring and not have game action for two years. TWO YEARS.

Reaction Score
Think of all the benefits Houston is getting this year by playing. Oh. For those not keeping track Houston just had their fourth ‘opener’ cancelled.
In a similar SARS-2 red zone, FAU wants credit for their similar 0-for-4 scheduling success. The 0-for-8 tilt, FAU vs Houston.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
We could play UMass, two FCS games, and be on standby to fill in for any of the non-conference games that get cancelled. Army still has an opening and BYU has like 4. Play 4-5 games and call it a season. We are literally set to play against nobody in the spring and not have game action for two years. TWO YEARS.
pass

Reaction Score
I agree with you on the opponents but the games getting postponed/canceled is just part of safety protocol. This is nowhere close to anything that resembles a 'real' season. You schedule a handful of games and if most get canceled for safety reasons, that's part of the deal. You are no worse off than just giving up.

When I heard about not wanting to lose eligibility, I thought that made sense. But when the NCAA gave every team a redshirt regardless, there is no reason not to at least safely try. And if 1/4 or even 3/4 or all the games are canceled, again, that is just the world we live in right now.

But back to the first point, at this late part of the season, outside of UMass, is there anyone to even schedule?
May be able to to schedule BYU before break wait 2 weeks then UMass on Thanksgiving Saturday, then Army, then possible FCS or Sunbelt, then 2 weeks quarantine, then send the kids home for Christmas?

Reaction Score
In a similar SARS-2 red zone, FAU wants credit for their similar 0-for-4 scheduling success. The 0-for-8 tilt, FAU vs Houston.
Newsflash, the world is moving on with a few (3) out of touch schools silently praying for a calamity to save face. We have proven again to be the gang that can’t shoot straight.

Reaction Score
In what way does his 3-30 against FBS teams since coming back in 2017 make him "clearly the best coach we've had at UConn since he was here the first time"? The best coach period that's been here was Rhett Lashlee and Randy hated him and handcuffed him and basically forced him to leave.

Also- newsflash- EVERYONE hosts a spring game. They don't need to even do it at The Rent, hold it on campus open up the facility for a tour and cocktail hour and play it at the new soccer stadium for all I care. It's about promoting the program and providing insight and accessibility to the team for fans and media. It's also kind of important for, you know, the PLAYERS to be put into live game situations and see how they react.
So you're telling me that Diaco (who's mess Edsall is cleaning up) and Pasqualoni were better for this program than Edsall is currently? Like I said, we have the best recruiting class since edsall left. He is not the reason the program is terrible. You can put that blame completely on Hathaway and Diaco. But sure it's all Edsall's fault that we got stuck in the AAC which hurt our recruiting, two duds for coaches were hired back to back which steamrolled all our momentum in 2011 and Diaco left nothing but FCS recruits when he got fired. You're acting like Edsall slapped you around behind a woodshed for being a bad little boy. And no Rhett Lashlee wasn't the best coach that's been here. Joe Moorhead was and still is an infinitely better OC and coach. Lashlee left not because of Edsall he left because his family hated CT and our assistant pool is garbage. Do you enjoy just ignoring facts that shatter your crappy narrative about Edsall?

Drew

Reaction Score
So you're telling me that Diaco (who's mess Edsall is cleaning up) and Pasqualoni were better for this program than Edsall is currently? Like I said, we have the best recruiting class since edsall left. He is not the reason the program is terrible. You can put that blame completely on Hathaway and Diaco. But sure it's all Edsall's fault that we got stuck in the AAC which hurt our recruiting, two duds for coaches were hired back to back which steamrolled all our momentum in 2011 and Diaco left nothing but FCS recruits when he got fired. You're acting like Edsall slapped you around behind a woodshed for being a bad little boy. And no Rhett Lashlee wasn't the best coach that's been here. Joe Moorhead was and still is an infinitely better OC and coach. Lashlee left not because of Edsall he left because his family hated CT and our assistant pool is garbage. Do you enjoy just ignoring facts that shatter your crappy narrative about Edsall?

I provided his record versus FBS teams in 3 years, which is a fact. You then ignored it and provided a bunch of opinions (most of which I vehemently disagree with) and didn't provide a single fact. Then claim I ignore facts and am spewing a "crappy narrative" about Randy Edsall. This is laughable.

Do you even know how bad this team is compared to Pasqualoni and Diaco? Even in the year Diaco got fired we beat Virginia and Cincinnati. I mean let that sink in for a second- we beat 2 FBS teams in the last year of the Diaco era (which was an abomination), one of which is a P5. That's more wins against FBS teams than UConn has had in the last 2 seasons they've played COMBINED. Not to mention Diaco was the coach of our only bowl team since 2011, when we defeated the winner of the Peach Bowl at home with a backup QB and were the only team that year to beat Houston. And given his background and collegiate accolades, you could easily say Diaco is a more accomplished and talented coach than HCRE2.0.

Pasqualoni- for as awful as he was- won 10 games his first two years before his atrocious third season which got him (rightfully) canned. He's also a much more accomplished collegiate coach than Randy is, compiling a 195-117 career record which is good for a 60.3% win percentage. Want to look up Randy's career coaching record and provide me with that fact?

We're currently ranked 104 in the nation per 247 for the class of 2021 recruiting. Since Randy left, recruiting rankings by year:

2012: 72
2013: 62
2014: 110
2015: 99
2016: 99
2017: 101
2018: NR
2019: NR
2020: 119

Not only is your claim that we're "having the best recruiting class since Edsall left" completely and utterly inaccurate, but we're actually also coming off the worst nationally ranked class we've ever had since Randy left. Here's your link.

Absolutely nothing in the rambling and babbling list of excuses you provided is correct (other than the drop in recruiting profile correlated with the dismantling of Big East football). Even your Joe Moorhead opinion- which I totally disagree with- you had to change the parameters of your original argument for. Please find me facts and data that back up your claim that Randy is the best coach we've had since his first go-round. Because absolutely nothing that I've seen, whether its ripping the transfer portal and then losing 20+ guys to it in one offseason, the 3-30 record against FBS teams, 1 FBS win in 2 years, actively cancelling the 2020 season despite nobody losing eligibility and the need for "development", losing career coaching record, lack of engagement with fans and media, promoting the offensive line coach to be OC with no experience, having two not rated recruiting classes in the last 3 years, or anything else shows me that he's even remotely competent to be a FBS head coach. Let alone the head coach at a school like UConn.

Reaction Score
Rivals has us at 74. Ok Mr. Sunshine, who the hell do you propose we get to come here to coach with our miserable salary and assistant pool? Lashlee? He left for a school in the same conference as us at the time. And you can blame Edsall all you want for the 202 season, but who are they going to play? Army and UMass twice? BYU isn't coming out here nor we going there with CT requiring 14 days for quarantine for most of the states where independents reside. Just keeping yelling at those kids to get off your lawn old man.

Reaction Score
ODU is building a new stadium. Let's not get melodramatic.

Reaction Score
Hindsight tells us how great Moorhead was/is. Wasn’t so great that RE took him with him.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
People forget it costs more to order a coffee at McDonald's than it would to fire Randy Edsall.

Now inserting gratuitous bonus joke from the national media; "You are forgetting, he gets a $1M bonus if fired before any of opponents for the coming season and $500k."

Drew

Reaction Score
Rivals has us at 74. Ok Mr. Sunshine, who the hell do you propose we get to come here to coach with our miserable salary and assistant pool? Lashlee? He left for a school in the same conference as us at the time. And you can blame Edsall all you want for the 202 season, but who are they going to play? Army and UMass twice? BYU isn't coming out here nor we going there with CT requiring 14 days for quarantine for most of the states where independents reside. Just keeping yelling at those kids to get off your lawn old man.

Sean Lewis at Kent State would be a great start. Makes $440k currently, Edsall's laughable deal would double his salary. Former Maine and current Minnesota WR's coach Joe Harasymiak would be fantastic, he's currently making $215k. I've long been a fan of John Stiegelmeier at South Dakota State, he's currently making $255k.

Yes, this fall playing UMass twice and some combo of 1-2 FCS games and one vs Army would be infinitely better than any other option. I'm not sure you are quite understanding that it's literally either play 4-5 games or play zero games for two years. You want to deny these kids the opportunity to play football for two years? If they're playing out of state basketball teams (which they will) in November/December and those teams won't be quarantining for 14 days before (which they won't), then they can play football games.

I'm not even close to being old. I'm 28 and also briefly played football at UConn. Clearly you have no idea about the college football landscape and don't follow it closely enough to feel invested in this or have an educated argument about it. There are plenty of good candidates for this job that run exciting schemes and win consistently with less talent than UConn has. Believe it or not, this could be a pretty attractive job. Settling for a stubborn old man like Randy Edsall who can't coach himself out of a paper bag is just pathetic.

Reaction Score
"Do you even know how bad this team is compared to Pasqualoni and Diaco? Even in the year Diaco got fired we beat Virginia and Cincinnati. I mean let that sink in for a second- we beat 2 FBS teams in the last year of the Diaco era (which was an abomination), one of which is a P5."

A win against Cincinnati during the anomalous Tommy Tuberville era doesn't count.

Reaction Score
I provided his record versus FBS teams in 3 years, which is a fact. You then ignored it and provided a bunch of opinions (most of which I vehemently disagree with) and didn't provide a single fact. Then claim I ignore facts and am spewing a "crappy narrative" about Randy Edsall. This is laughable.

Do you even know how bad this team is compared to Pasqualoni and Diaco? Even in the year Diaco got fired we beat Virginia and Cincinnati. I mean let that sink in for a second- we beat 2 FBS teams in the last year of the Diaco era (which was an abomination), one of which is a P5. That's more wins against FBS teams than UConn has had in the last 2 seasons they've played COMBINED. Not to mention Diaco was the coach of our only bowl team since 2011, when we defeated the winner of the Peach Bowl at home with a backup QB and were the only team that year to beat Houston. And given his background and collegiate accolades, you could easily say Diaco is a more accomplished and talented coach than HCRE2.0.

Pasqualoni- for as awful as he was- won 10 games his first two years before his atrocious third season which got him (rightfully) canned. He's also a much more accomplished collegiate coach than Randy is, compiling a 195-117 career record which is good for a 60.3% win percentage. Want to look up Randy's career coaching record and provide me with that fact?

We're currently ranked 104 in the nation per 247 for the class of 2021 recruiting. Since Randy left, recruiting rankings by year:

2012: 72
2013: 62
2014: 110
2015: 99
2016: 99
2017: 101
2018: NR
2019: NR
2020: 119

Not only is your claim that we're "having the best recruiting class since Edsall left" completely and utterly inaccurate, but we're actually also coming off the worst nationally ranked class we've ever had since Randy left. Here's your link.

Absolutely nothing in the rambling and babbling list of excuses you provided is correct (other than the drop in recruiting profile correlated with the dismantling of Big East football). Even your Joe Moorhead opinion- which I totally disagree with- you had to change the parameters of your original argument for. Please find me facts and data that back up your claim that Randy is the best coach we've had since his first go-round. Because absolutely nothing that I've seen, whether its ripping the transfer portal and then losing 20+ guys to it in one offseason, the 3-30 record against FBS teams, 1 FBS win in 2 years, actively cancelling the 2020 season despite nobody losing eligibility and the need for "development", losing career coaching record, lack of engagement with fans and media, promoting the offensive line coach to be OC with no experience, having two not rated recruiting classes in the last 3 years, or anything else shows me that he's even remotely competent to be a FBS head coach. Let alone the head coach at a school like UConn.

That’s mighty big drop off in recruiting rankings under your boy Bobby D. You do realize that those player that took us to a bowl game were all P’s recruits right and not Bobby’s? Bobby left the program with players that Mt Union wouldn’t even recruit lol

Reaction Score
UConn football can't get out of its own way, it is ridiculous. The program ended when they went Independent, and kept Edsall around, a guy that hasn't won in years going back to Maryland. H may be a nice guy, but he can't recruit, can't coach, and all he does on twitter is copy someone else's quotes every day. He has 3 wins in 3 years vs FBS programs, and over 20 kids exited via the portal last year. Tell me about the optics of UConn football? Everyone here is hanging onto pipe dreams, while the program circles the drain.

Reaction Score
Wrap around this one, he has the worst winning percentage of any coach past or present with 100 or more wins, not even close. That says he had a good early run, and did nothing after, fools gold, the game has passed him bye. Take it one step further, he has the worst winning percentage of any coach with more than 78 wins! Also, none of the others ever finished 3 seasons in a row with 3 wins or fewer. But we got our man!

Reaction Score
If you want to blame someone for this mess look no further than Warde Manuel!
He reacted too quick and fired Pasqualoni after Buffalo game. That team would hung with Michigan at home and ended up winning three straight at the end of the season! If they didn’t have the distraction of an in season firing and coaching shake up they would have won at least 5 games. Pasqualoni issue was not recruiting!
Then Warde hires Diaco and the recruited talent drops to new low level!

Reaction Score
If you want to blame someone for this mess look no further than Warde Manuel!
He reacted too quick and fired Pasqualoni after Buffalo game. That team would hung with Michigan at home and ended up winning three straight at the end of the season! If they didn’t have the distraction of an in season firing and coaching shake up they would have won at least 5 games. Pasqualoni issue was not recruiting!
Then Warde hires Diaco and the recruited talent drops to new low level!
PP problem was not recruiting but what he did with them. Lagow and Joe Williams eventually were successful. Wouldn’t give Casey a chance because he wasn’t tall prototypical NFL. Poor motivator. Descent defensive coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom