Randy Edsall: “We’re not changing. We’re not going to change” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall: “We’re not changing. We’re not going to change”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I would like to see then try, but, looking today 18 of 42 games have been cancelled in the first three weeks .

I suspect it isn't going to work And will be a miserable season for the players
All I want is a two game "season." One FCS game and one FBS game. Something to create some focus. Anything beyond a couple games is rather unrealistic for UConn's situation.

As for the rest of those 70+ teams trying to play real seasons with bowl/playoff aspirations - good luck with your COVid dice game....I'll watch and see how it all rolls. Results are sure to be wild.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nobody is expecting UConn to play 12 regular season games. But if they're planning to play 1-3 "scrimmage" games in the Spring why wouldn't you move those to the fall between November and December and then actually get your 15 spring practices in? Hell why wouldn't you play 2 in the fall and 1 in the spring? ANYTHING played in the next 2.5 months is better than casually lifting 3 times a week and "practicing" twice. This is a team and program that is built on developing players. What is better for development than live game situations? Playing UMass and someone else this fall would be ENORMOUS for the development of these kids and actually give them something to look forward to instead of going through the motions and maybe "scrimmaging" some FCS team in March. I mean this decision to not play is so stupid I don't even know where to begin.

Drew

Reaction Score
The Boneyarder's demanding a football season in this crazy year are the ones who most closely represent the "old man yelling at the clouds".
How about the ones who got an e-mail from the school about attending basketball games on campus this December yesterday? Are they unrealistic too?

Drew

Reaction Score
Also does anyone else think it's incredibly hilarious and ironic that the guy who cancelled the annual spring game is now talking about focusing on getting game reps and scrimmages in the spring?

Reaction Score
People forget it costs more to order a coffee at McDonald's than it would to fire Randy Edsall.

Eh. He should be fired for his disastrous second tenure but I think since this program is headed to extinction, let’s ride it out with the guy who was there at the beginning of the ride. Kind of fitting.

And it’s also the right move not to be playing right now.

Reaction Score
Unless you're in a conference that decides to play, playing as an indy at this point in the season would only blow one meaningful year of eligibility for the team for some version of a traveling road show against god knows who. Losing the Big Ten and ACC/SEC games doomed our season.
Agreed
Makes no sense to play outside conference. How are all these teams planning on travelling between schools?

Reaction Score
Edsall just cuts himself off from things for no reason. No transfer portal players, no chance to play this year. A smarter guy would use more flexible language. Leave himself some wriggle room.
No attack but do you really think this is all up to Randy? Have you any clue to the governors restrictions? I have no problem with people bashing Randy, he is open game in his position. It would be nice though to read some of the suggestions on how things could be done better under the circumstances.

People forget it costs more to order a coffee at McDonald's than it would to fire Randy Edsall.
No attack here either, would just like to know after the governor of the state and the AD said there would be no season what Randy did wrong? Best recruiting season that we have had in a decade...
Folks bashing should explain just how they would jump the hurdles differently.

C

Chief00

Nobody can sum up and capture Randy better than he just characterized himself and his tenure.
7EF9E2C8-A6A8-4246-BC82-AE52E75BB74E.jpeg

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I understand the coaching staff, but at the same time other states have tough guidelines and schools are playing. I just hope this doesn't hurt recruiting as one recruit has already de-committmented and hopeful no more players leave or others de-commit

C

Chief00

Unfortunately I think this decision as much to do with concerns about readiness of this program to turn the corner as it does with COVid. I think concerns about both are on equal footing. There is an opportunity to play 1-3 developmental games, but it comes with more than just COVid risk, it comes with concerns about having to show progress. "Better to remain quiet than to open your mouth" - if you will. Hope I am wrong - we will eventually know by Sept/October 2021 if we are actually getting better.
And collect a million dollars while not being held accountable for any results for a year. Who wouldn’t want that type of job?

Reaction Score
I‘m glad RE is open to different opinions, always chooses to think out of the box, and will easily change his views when he makes mistakes. How lucky are we to have a coach not bounded by traditional thinking.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I was starting to lean toward wanting UConn to play and then I read Silver’s tweet about the current state. 24 games played. 18 games canceled. This is dumb. Should have called it off and prepped for the spring. Normally by this point, we would have played 200+ games.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
I do not expect UConn could put together any type of schedule that will be of interest to UConn fans or our new TV partners.

I feel bad for the players who will miss out on an opportunity to play in 2020. But the program and most players will be much better for this "2020 team red shirt".

For the past 4-5 years we have been playing shorthanded from a roster and experience view point. In 2021 I expect to see a more seasoned and hungry team.

There is a lot on the line next year. First RE2 team with a full SR class - i hope at least. First year to make a splash on CBS Sports Network. Success on the TV network is imperative to reestablish the football brand and start winning in recruiting.

Our old AAC partners are learning about streamed games. Not liking it. We must put together competive, entertaining games. If we do 2020 and the recent horror show can quickly be forgotten.

This will a huge year for the program to

Reaction Score
As someone else pointed out, we lost a recruit to PENN, not Penn State. UPenn is not playing football, though Franklin is an interesting crumbling dump that gets small crowds. Kid is not thinking of the NFL.

Too bad Europe managed to lose the ancient Roman recipe for concrete.

Reaction Score
I haven’t watched much CFb this year. What I have seen is one or both teams unprepared or underprepared, no crowds and no tailgating. Part of me would rather not see an unprepared UCONN play. Watching them be uncompetitive has been hard enough.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It is just his tone that is stupid. I don't think he is wrong. Just not a savvy communicator.
It really is amazing that he hasn't gotten better at this in all the years he has been a head coach.

This decision isn't easy...and I have to admit I keep changing my mind on this. I watch a game on TV and I think..."look... they're doing it". Then I read that ND cancelled their game due to issues. And I read about all the logistics of addressing an outbreak. Constant testing and quarantining....is it worth it to play a game against UMass?

Probably not.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how the pressure mounts with BB around the corner. With the prize cow on the chopping block, I would expect some entertaining mental gymnastics to jump out of the corner they painted themselves into.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
@Drew - Randy's quotes of the day are often directed at recent events. This one smells like its targeted at you sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom