Randy Edsall: “We’re not changing. We’re not going to change” | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall: “We’re not changing. We’re not going to change”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Stop spewing your crazy bs. Conn. has done a great job managing the pandemic. We've had some of the lowest infection rates in the country for some time. There is no way we could have played football this season after the better part of our season was cancelled. Was the ACC afraid to play us?
Aren't you aware that Duke won the '99 National Championship game, 39-37?

Reaction Score

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Respected medical info source Johns Hopkins Univ of Medicine Coronavirus Resource Center:

State SARS-2 testing totals per 100K population:

Connecticut # 8

Is there a chart for the last quarter?
  • The death count in CT includes 2,997 (of 4,200) deaths in the first 3 months which were largely due to widespread errors with retirement & convalescent homes.
  • Testing was lacking in the first 3 months were likely only those who were sick enough to go into the hospital.
The state & CDC officials will have to review and address these things for future pandemics.

Testing, treatments & knowledge of C-19 was different in March & July. Most stats I see are YTD & I do not think are all that helpful in making decisions for Oct-Dec 2020.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Is there a chart for the last quarter?
  • The death count in CT includes 2,997 (of 4,200) deaths in the first 3 months which were largely due to widespread errors with retirement & convalescent homes.
  • Testing was lacking in the first 3 months were likely only those who were sick enough to go into the hospital.
The state & CDC officials will have to review and address these things for future pandemics.

Testing, treatments & knowledge of C-19 was different in March & July. Most stats I see are YTD & I do not think are all that helpful in making decisions for Oct-Dec 2020.
There is not a chart per se, but most state sites I've been on (Disclaimer: It's been a while since I've visited state sites other than CT) continually update the raw data in CSV or Excel format.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Back on topic with Randy's comment.

RE walks in to Baskin Robbins and orders for the family:

Randy Edsall: We'd like 3 wafer cones; each with a scoop of vanilla.
Baskin Robbins: OK. Are you interested in any of our 30 other flavors or cone choices?
RE: No. We'll all have the vanilla wafer cone.
BR: We also have chocolate, chocolate chip, mint chocolate chip, strawberry, cookie and cream. You can get a sugar cone, waffle cone or have chocolate dipped cone with or without sprinkles.
RE: We're not changing. We're not going to change.

UConn takes over for their third possession of the third quarter:

Randy Edsall on headset: OK. Let's start this series out with a play action run.
OC in the booth: RE, we've tried that the past 11 series and have only gained 3 yards total on first down. How about a play action where we actually pass?
RE: No. Eventually the defense will think we will pass and it will open up a 4 yard run.
OC: They're stacking 9 in the box on every first down. How about a quick pass to a WR? They're both covered one on one with no safety over the top.

Reaction Score
There is not a chart per se, but most state sites I've been on (Disclaimer: It's been a while since I've visited state sites other than CT) continually update the raw data in CSV or Excel format.
I’ve used the worldometers site. To your points...timing matters
067FEAC6-A35F-4363-B1B0-1C0E8B28A501.jpeg
067FEAC6-A35F-4363-B1B0-1C0E8B28A501.jpeg

Reaction Score
Is there a chart for the last quarter? Testing, treatments & knowledge of C-19 was different in March & July. Most stats I see are YTD & I do not think are all that helpful in making decisions for Oct-Dec 2020.
Could be quartely or monthly updates, search the Johns Hopkins or other respected medical information sources for recent periods and total #s. Apparently, Hopkins ranks CT as one of the leading testing states in total nationwide. Aug and Sept specific test #s would obviously be helpful for 4Q and beyond decisions.

Reaction Score
We're All Football fans who love UConn.

With the Pandemic running wild, killing over a million globally, 200,000+ in the US, 500 active cases currently at UConn, creating additional, unknown health problems in young folks, killing off old folks in droves with no end insight? UConn made the right call, "Not To Change." And to Not Play Football in 2020!

You gotta see it. Among sports fans, coaches & players, football is where the real dummies are & continue to be in terms of many Not seeing this virus for what it is (an infectious killer). And for Not reacting accordingly with reasoned responses & self-control as it evolves.

Seasons Cancelled, Un-cancelled, Cancelled again. Money! Money! Money! Stop it. It's a year off now. America is valuing life as the number one priority, not sports, or even regular commerce. Deal with it. Get onboard with the science & most people's common sense. Everyone must do this for the strategy to work. UConn made the right call to cancel. Give 'em credit & stop grumbling.

No Fall Games for any football team! And no in-person college or school classes "for the money" either, UConn. Period. Because college aged youngsters will party, they will act natural & young, players will breathe on & spit on each other on the field, they will test positive, some will get sick & they will end up killing many old folks (profs., ref's, coaches, parents, grand-parents) for no reason. UConn did it right for football. Now they really need to send students home until the vacinne is available to all. Like an airplane or Costco, it's simply too many people packed into one college-town area this year. Use Common Sense.

Lives over profits this year, guys. We don't even know that much about COVID-19 yet & cannot cure it in 2020. But we do know how to limit it's spread with basic common sense & commitment: like masks, washing, spacing & No Football.

Stop pushing for colleges & high schools to play football "even a coupla games" this fall or attend in-person classes! If you are among those who want games played & UConn classes in session, then it speaks volumes about your selfish, myopic, me-first thinking, lack of education & bull-headed stupidity.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

With the Pandemic running wild, killing over a million globally, 200,000+ in the US, 500 active cases currently at UConn, creating additional, unknown health problems in young folks, killing off old folks in droves with no end insight? UConn made the right call, "Not To Change."

You gotta see it. Football is where the real dummies are & continue to be in terms of seeing this virus for what it is & react accordingly as it evolves. Cancelled, Un-cancelled, Cancelled again. Stop it. It's a year off now, with life as the number one priority, not sports, or even regular commerce. Deal with it. Get onboard with the science & the common sense. Everyone must do this for the strategy to work. UConn made the right call to cancel. Give 'em credit.

No Fall Games for any football team! And no in-person college or school classes either. Period. Because people will act young, players will spit on each other on the field, they will test positive, they will get sick & they will end up killing many old folks - for no reason. UConn did it right.

Lives over profits or normalcy this year, guys. We don't even know that much about COVID-19 yet & cannot cure it in 2020. Stop pushing for colleges & high schools to play football "even a coupla games" this year or attend class! If you are among those who want games played & UConn classes in session, then it speaks volumes about your me-first thinking, lack of education & stupidity.
Can you take this rant to the Basketball board too? Those guys needs to hear common sense as well. :rolleyes: BB needs to shut down or the game changed to eliminate post ups, sweat and a shared ball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

With the Pandemic running wild, killing over a million globally, 200,000+ in the US, 500 active cases currently at UConn, creating additional, unknown health problems in young folks, killing off old folks in droves with no end insight? UConn made the right call, "Not To Change." And to Not Play Football in 2020!

You gotta see it. Among sports fans, coaches & players, football is where the real dummies are & continue to be in terms of many Not seeing this virus for what it is (an infectious killer). And for Not reacting accordingly with reasoned responses & self-control as it evolves.

Seasons Cancelled, Un-cancelled, Cancelled again. Money! Money! Money! Stop it. It's a year off now. America is valuing life as the number one priority, not sports, or even regular commerce. Deal with it. Get onboard with the science & most people's common sense. Everyone must do this for the strategy to work. UConn made the right call to cancel. Give 'em credit & stop grumbling.

No Fall Games for any football team! And no in-person college or school classes "for the money" either, UConn. Period. Because college aged youngsters will party, they will act natural & young, players will breathe on & spit on each other on the field, they will test positive, some will get sick & they will end up killing many old folks (profs., ref's, coaches, parents, grand-parents) for no reason. UConn did it right for football. Now they really need to send students home until the vacinne is available to all. Like an airplane or Costco, it's simply too many people packed into one college-town area this year. Use Common Sense.

Lives over profits this year, guys. We don't even know that much about COVID-19 yet & cannot cure it in 2020. But we do know how to limit it's spread with basic common sense & commitment: like masks, washing, spacing & No Football.

Stop pushing for colleges & high schools to play football "even a coupla games" this fall or attend in-person classes! If you are among those who want games played & UConn classes in session, then it speaks volumes about your selfish, myopic, me-first thinking, lack of education & bull-headed stupidity.
How exactly are you affected?

Reaction Score

This is certainly an emotional, heartfelt statement so I wouldn’t belittle it. It’s just that the information and experience doesn’t match your concern. In fact, cancellation, uncancellation and recancellation are signs of people acting responsibly. I wouldnt conflate administrative burden with reasons to abandon athletes. When 127 FBS schools choose to reverse course, it speaks to the reality and their commitment to go above and beyond to give them a chance to play In safe environment. We are being intransigent for no good reason other than stubborn pride.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
My math, probably wrong, but better than having basing conversations about data from March-May 2020.

CT Post article from June 16: 4,201 dead (64% in nursing homes - 2,689).

Todays total 4,511. So 310 in the past 105 days. This is good news. I wonder why stats are not broken down like this by CT press and government. How many of school and working age? We will never know.

Reaction Score
The cost and demand for entertainment is going to have a HUGE impact over in the English soccer pyramid, driving many 100+ year old clubs into extinction. There's already one casualty, a club that was almost 150 years old, Macclesfield whatever.

Reaction Score
How exactly are you affected?
Hi Bongo Fury, Not a crazy ranter here. In fact, I'm rarely on any forum. But I felt I had to speak my truth to my alma mater & this thread provided me with the opportunity. I was a former basketball player.

Today, I'm just an at-risk, 70+ y.o. senior (UConn Class of '70) forced to stay at home & self-quarantine from everyone I love for seven months now. I only go out early during senior hours to buy groceries & drug store stuff twice a month (w/mask, head shield, gloves, wipes, & a wary eye around younger folks, etc). Everything else is mailed in. So I'm very isolated -abrupt change! At one point, this tiny Island had 6900 active cases! I cannot afford to be in a space where many people breathe the air daily. Here's wishing on a vacinne that works.

I've had to close my business & that hurt my 15 longtime employees & me deeply & personally. I live in the state most affected by COVID-19 with almost 30% unemployment & half of us on some kind of help due to the Pandemic, even though our general case numbers are near the bottom. WE work together well mostly RE: counter acting against COVID-19. Most wear masks, even at the beach. Of course, when every state tried to open......disaster. No national leadership & some really stupid governors.

Most of our commerce here depends on tourism. Guess what? No tourists & some that do come try to cheat the quarantine. We're working on safer systems to allow them to return tested & safely, but Hawaii is slower than most state bureaucracies, not as sharp as Connecticut. Would you allow tourists into CT this year if you had a choice now? We have no choice - & it's scary given our latitudinally-challenge leadership.

We have 4000 cars a day (mostly young local families) waiting at the stadium for free hand-out meals to feed their families. There is ZERO Income for many just trying to keep their Island families afloat in the country's most expensive state, & yes, even more costly than the Nutmeg State ( And I lived in Westport for comparison).

I have had four aging friends get very sick from COVID-19, one for over four months in ICU finally recovered. I lost two very close senior friends to COVID - "killed" by their unchecked, untested, irresponsible college-aged grandchildren. One died this week!

Many cultures here live lives completely entwined by family, like Filipinos & Pacific Islanders. They are the most vulnerable groups because they share their deep family intimacy & openness, doing everything together & thus, they suffer the most in a Pandemic.

We love our Island home & Live Aloha here. It's a spiritual connection based on humility, sharing, family, brotherhood & love - more of a connection than any state or country pride I've experienced. It really is more like everyone is Family here. So when you ask how I'm directly affected by COVID-19, my friend? With apologies, I provide Far Too Many Answers, most of them sad. My Island home is hurting. So I see sports & college closings as a necessary solution to control the virus for this year, not something to be bartering with human lives or to finesse. Let's do it together for a change. UConn & Connecticut have mostly done it right. So No Change RE.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hi Bongo Fury, Not a crazy ranter here. In fact, I'm rarely on any forum. But I felt I had to speak my truth to my alma mater & this thread provided me with the opportunity. I was a former basketball player.

Today, I'm just an at-risk, 70+ y.o. senior (UConn Class of '70) forced to stay at home & self-quarantine from everyone I love for seven months now. I only go out early during senior hours to buy groceries & drug store stuff twice a month (w/mask, head shield, gloves, wipes, & a wary eye around younger folks, etc). Everything else is mailed in. So I'm very isolated -abrupt change! At one point, this tiny Island had 6900 active cases! I cannot afford to be in a space where many people breathe the air daily. Here's wishing on a vacinne that works.

I've had to close my business & that hurt my 15 longtime employees & me deeply & personally. I live in the state most affected by COVID-19 with almost 30% unemployment & half of us on some kind of help due to the Pandemic, even though our general case numbers are near the bottom. WE work together well mostly RE: counter acting against COVID-19. Most wear masks, even at the beach. Of course, when every state tried to open......disaster. No national leadership & some really stupid governors.

Most of our commerce here depends on tourism. Guess what? No tourists & some that do come try to cheat the quarantine. We're working on safer systems to allow them to return tested & safely, but Hawaii is slower than most state bureaucracies, not as sharp as Connecticut. Would you allow tourists into CT this year if you had a choice now? We have no choice - & it's scary given our latitudinally-challenge leadership.

We have 4000 cars a day (mostly young local families) waiting at the stadium for free hand-out meals to feed their families. There is ZERO Income for many just trying to keep their Island families afloat in the country's most expensive state, & yes, even more costly than the Nutmeg State ( And I lived in Westport for comparison).

I have had four aging friends get very sick from COVID-19, one for over four months in ICU finally recovered. I lost two very close senior friends to COVID - "killed" by their unchecked, untested, irresponsible college-aged grandchildren. One died this week!

Many cultures here live lives completely entwined by family, like Filipinos & Pacific Islanders. They are the most vulnerable groups because they share their deep family intimacy & openness, doing everything together & thus, they suffer the most in a Pandemic.

We love our Island home & Live Aloha here. It's a spiritual connection based on humility, sharing, family, brotherhood & love - more of a connection than any state or country pride I've experienced. It really is more like everyone is Family here. So when you ask how I'm directly affected by COVID-19, my friend? With apologies, I provide Far Too Many Answers, most of them sad. My Island home is hurting. So I see sports & college closings as a necessary solution to control the virus for this year, not something to be bartering with human lives or to finesse. Let's do it together for a change. UConn & Connecticut have mostly done it right. So No Change RE.
Hi Demo, thanks for sharing. I am affected in opposite where if over conservative measures affect mine and coworkers employment. UCONN football this year is probably not a big deal but could be done while limiting risk. UConn allowed students back. Bravo! I work at UMASS and they last minute went full remote partly because of the town of Amherst resistance. Only about 1500 students plus researchers on campus. Big cuts to employees because of reduced revenue. I am fortunate to have to only take the minimum 2 weeks of furlough by the end of the year. Many not so lucky. My kids are currently full time in person learning in CT and will continue until told otherwise. It is important for them to have real interaction. For us we need to keep going and try to make sensible choices. Things can be done safely without complete shutdown. Be Well!!

Reaction Score
I'll go on record as saying outdoor activities shouldn't be decided upon whether or not 70 year old people can attend.
Sadly, I agree. If you’re vulnerable, you need to be responsible for protecting yourself not forcing the rest of the world to shut down. Reasonable measures should be that. That said, the pandemic has been devastating to many people in many ways, and shouldn’t be dismissed as an unimportant casualty.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm going to go on record that people who are under 70 and go to football games have to interact with people over 70.

Yes, I would hope anyone who is going to interact with elderly would avoid going to the games or avoid those people after the game.

C

Chief00

Back on topic with Randy's comment.

RE walks in to Baskin Robbins and orders for the family:

Randy Edsall: We'd like 3 wafer cones; each with a scoop of vanilla.
Baskin Robbins: OK. Are you interested in any of our 30 other flavors or cone choices?
RE: No. We'll all have the vanilla wafer cone.
BR: We also have chocolate, chocolate chip, mint chocolate chip, strawberry, cookie and cream. You can get a sugar cone, waffle cone or have chocolate dipped cone with or without sprinkles.

UConn takes over for their third possession of the third quarter:

Randy Edsall on headset: OK. Let's start this series out with a play action run.
OC in the booth: RE, we've tried that the past 11 series and have only gained 3 yards total on first down. How about a play action where we actually pass?
RE: No. Eventually the defense will think we will pass and it will open up a 4 yard run.
OC: They're stacking 9 in the box on every first down. How about a quick pass to a WR? They're both covered one on one with no safety over the top.
That sums it up.

Reaction Score
I'm going to go on record that people who are under 70 and go to football games have to interact with people over 70.

Why do they "have to" interact with people over 70? I am under 70 and I don't interact with anyone over 70.

Reaction Score
Upon further review and a quick look, the State of Connecticut actually publishes a LOT of current, updated SARS-2/Covid-19 information with extensive detailed supporting data. Most of the CT media may not interpret or share too much detail.

CT State COVID-19 Update October 02, 2020

State of CT COVID-19 Data Tracker site:

Reaction Score
Sadly, I agree. If you’re vulnerable, you need to be responsible for protecting yourself not forcing the rest of the world to shut down. Reasonable measures should be that. That said, the pandemic has been devastating to many people in many ways, and shouldn’t be dismissed as an unimportant casualty.
Also, in the Covid world ,what we want, as opposed what we need, and what we realistically can have. For several days in February, my wife was on life support, and then rehab. One day out of the blue, no more visits None. She is non verbal with dementia, so phone calls were out of the question. So for 2 weeks, no contact. So I guess for me, this has had a terrible impact. Thankfully she is home.
Believe me, I was devastated.

Reaction Score
Also, in the Covid world ,what we want, as opposed what we need, and what we realistically can have. For several days in February, my wife was on life support, and then rehab. One day out of the blue, no more visits None. She is non verbal with dementia, so phone calls were out of the question. So for 2 weeks, no contact. So I guess for me, this has had a terrible impact. Thankfully she is home.
Believe me, I was devastated.
I’m sorry to hear that and it must have been incredibly fightenimg. I’m glad she is Ok. My wife has a serious disease which makes her incredibly vulnerable and we have to exercise extreme caution. It’s really hard, but we have to do the work and control our exposure. I never expect others will be cautious, and realize the world can’t operate around our needs. I worry everyday and stress out over every little thing. Sometimes life is hard and unfair and that’s the way it is. I wish your wife a full recovery and you much peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom