Randy Edsall: “We’re not changing. We’re not going to change” | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall: “We’re not changing. We’re not going to change”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m sorry but you can’t cancel football under the guise of concern for player safety then turn around a month from now and play Men’s and Women’s Basketball. What message are you sending? Their safety is not a concern, or basketball is more important so we’ll make it work? Both look bad.

I’d respect The AD if they came out and said “Due to the financial/logistical burden placed on the dept due to Covid along with a lack of a viable schedule we felt it was not worth the risk to our players to pursue playing in 2020.” That is at least honest. Instead they set themselves up to look like hypocrites when women’s basketball is traveling to play flipping Creighton or some other far flung opponent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m sorry but you can’t cancel football under the guise of concern for player safety then turn around a month from now and play Men’s and Women’s Basketball. What message are you sending? Their safety is not a concern, or basketball is more important so we’ll make it work? Both look bad.

I’d respect The AD if they came out and said “Due to the financial/logistical burden placed on the dept due to Covid along with a lack of a viable schedule we felt it was not worth the risk to our players to pursue playing in 2020.” That is at least honest. Instead they set themselves up to look like hypocrites when women’s basketball is traveling to play flipping Creighton or some other far flung opponent.
I would think the indoors and locker room of basketball would be more likely to spread a virus. There is a theory that there may be further separation from power 5 in football and top conferences in basketball. Big East would be among the top and the NCAA needs the tournament to happen next year

Reaction Score

I understand that the BY is a great place to vent ones frustration, but at some point we need to understand that it is like beating a dead horse. Unfortunately they have made their decision on football and any solution that gets offered up is done so to a blind eye.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I feel that the AD was forced into this decision by their opponents. UConn is an independent football program and half of their schedule was canceled before they canceled the rest.

Conferences can reverse course pretty easily. They have ready made opponents.

Army has the advantage of being a service academy. Notre Dame is being helped by the ACC. True independent programs have to fend for themselves.

UMass says they want to play. That's all well and good, but have they come out with any opponents? Getting a bit late.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The message you are sending is the actual truth. Player safety is only one of many factors influencing these decisions.

Reaction Score
It's inherently obvious what the score has become. When they made the decision to go Independent, they opened up a lot of perils that didn't exist under belonging to a conference. The message was quite clear after a decade long debacle trying to compete competitively in football. The decision makers decided they were going to hitch their wagon to basketball, and just let football become a wild card. If there is success, great, if there is not, so what.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I also think that when the final tally of dollars spent or cost from covid-19, the cuts being made already are certainly not going to be relaxed, they are going to be expanded. Then what? Is football potentially on the chopping board? The purists will say never, the realists will say, at the very least, that day gets closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom