Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads) | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads)

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Hurley reducing Gaffney's minutes and not having Sool ready to play is essentially proving my point.

Hurley made the error of sticking with Gaffney early in the year. We know what kind of player Gaffney is, and it was evident early in the year... his ceiling is maxed.

What kind of player will Diggins be or what kind of player could he have been by the end of the year? We'll never know, because Hurley never allowed the opportunity for him to develop early on. He didn't get any run in semi-meaningful minutes.

Hurley reducing Gaffney's minutes and not playing Diggins is proof that he effed up the whole situation.

You can't believe anything that is typed here if you actually watched the game. Have you ever been to practice at UConn under any coach not just Hurley? Do you even know what time they practice? If both of those answer are no, then who to say "hurley made an error" playing someone who was CLEARLY better than someone else when they were given a chance. Now just imagine what practice looks like for Diggins. There is no way that Diggins is frying in practice and then not getting play time. Have you ever played a sport any level, there would be mutiny in the locker room if this was case..

You don't have to responsible, you can think whatever you want but just know that this post is awful.

Reaction Score
For those of you who like rummaging through clearance bins, deep discount aisles, and flea markets, here's a pile of various bad takes, hot-takes, Hurley-hater posts, etc from the thread so far.

Have fun, you're welcome. I have Venmo & Paypal.
What value if any do you bring? Can’t compose thoughts of your own so you just cut and paste others you don’t like?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We all know how critical the PG position is, but it's also the toughest spot to fill.
This is why I chuckle when everyone keeps saying that's all we need to get through the portal.

It reminds me of Steve Martin's old "You can be a millionaire and never pay taxes" skit.

"Step 1: Get a million dollars."

polycom

Reaction Score
You are full of it - you never saw him in practice - if you did you wouldn't make that statement and if you did and stand by it you have no idea what you are looking at. I was at a pre NBE tournament practice and heard Kimani praising Sool and talking about a bright future with a reporter and Phil Chardis was listening in and agreeing.

You really just gotta give it up this act. A coach is not going to openly talk bad about their players for this exact reason. Some message board rando is going to post it on a message board and it'll become a story. It's much better for him to say positive things than negative things. Imagine if you had heard the opposite you would be the first person to make a thread OMG GUESS WHAT I HEARD.

polycom

Reaction Score
It's insane that the anti-Hurley crowd wants his head AGAIN, this time for one singular playing not working out. Oh the horror.

Is Brad Underwood on the hot seat because Curbelo is leaving? Or the Texas Tech coach b/c Terrance Shannon is leaving? Bob Huggins has a player transferring, time to fire him too. Matt Painter has a PG in the transfer portal, he is unfit to lead a program.

You all are crazy people. It didn't work out. It happens. But to moan and complain, which a lot of you do best, is just ridiculous. The need to put blame on him solves nothing and just makes you look like a pathetic baby.

The only people who want hurley's head are people who hate basketball and dont understand that JC isn't coaching anymore. While hurley has his faults there isn't someone betting that we could afford that exists right now. Hurley shouldn't even be on the hot seat yet. The rest of it is just noise from board message board posters.

polycom

Reaction Score
He was put on the floor with the B team in garbage time. That's not being put in a position to succeed.

Gaffney played just as poorly, if not worse, and continued to see the floor. No reason Sool could not have earned minutes over Gaff... but he was never put in a position early on to be able to get comfortable.

So of course he didn't look good when Hurley threw him to the wolves in garbage time with the B team later in the year.

Mismanaged by Hurley because of his blind loyalty to Gaffney. Plain and simple.

Are you blind? You have to be blind. When you are a future starting guard which is what all top 100 recruits at the guard position should be you should dominate backup guards from gambling state and CCSU. You should also be able to play well at practice. We know Diggins didn't do the first thing and if we being that Hurley isn't blind he absolutely didn't do the second thing. So what are you even talking about, "mismanaged"

Reaction Score
Counterpoint:

If the head coach recruited two top 60 recruits who were completely unprepared to play in the Big East, he is failing at his job.

Other coaches recruited freshmen who could play in the Big East…and then played them in the Big East.

What’s wrong with our guy? Either he failed to develop these kids, failed to give them an opportunity or he failed in recruiting them.

Pick one.
Villanova recruited him as well and they have other recruits riding the bench. His high school coach told him he wouldn't be playing at Villanova either. The 2021- 2022 season was the closest to how freshman were used before the one and done trend of the last 15 years. That is because of super seniors. It was clear to me that Diggins physically wasn't ready to play and was a liability when he was on the court. The future for him will require maturing physically and putting in the work. He sees the writing on the wall. He may be ready next year but he may not be either and the following year there is a player coming in that he knows he will not beat out as starter. Probably a good move for him. He is not the answer for next year and most likely would not want to be a backup his junior and senior years, although that may be his role no matter where he ends up. Sampson Johnson will be an impact player before his career is over but needs to develop as well. He may be ready to contribute next year if he can get stronger over the summer.

Your pick one request is wrong as your choices are wrong. Developing a player doesn't mean throwing them in a game when they are not ready. It means telling them what they need to improve on to get to play and helping them to do it. If a player thinks he is ready and he is not, then the worst thing a coach could do is reinforce his delusion by playing him anyway. An opportunity goes both ways. When Calhoun was coach there were many players who left the program who thought they were better than the coach's assessment of their abilities. Where they all his failures or was it the player's unwillingness to accept their role? I don't know because I was not at practice and don't know the individuals and who was advising them. Neither do you in the present situation.

You start off your choices with "what wrong with our guy" That presupposes that the only explanation for a player not being ready to play in the Big East their freshman year is the coach's fault. Maybe he overestimated the kid's ability but maybe there are other reasons as well. I don't expect recruiting to be perfect it is a two way street. I wish the best for Diggins in his career and hopefully his departure will allow another player to come in who is a better fit.

polycom

Reaction Score
Yes, by making it worse.

Fast forward a few months when some transfer portal super senior is getting 36 minutes a night while Hurley forgets who Floyd is.

The systemic issue right now is roster management.

what does this even mean? You think we should keep around A10 level players...that will get us to the promise land?

Reaction Score
You ever hear of Occam's Razor?
27AEA8E2-B998-4D59-9FA5-DFDA1B0D27C4.jpeg

Reaction Score
Emeka Okafor was ranked 99. Being ranked a top 10 recruit in HS is not a can't miss ticket to the NBA. Being a top 100, or even 20th to 50th is not a can't miss ticket to college stardom. Too many variables. I believe Purvis was a top 10 HS recruit.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Man, this is going to bite us later on. That’s 3 players not coming back who had eligibility. An unhealthy amount of turnover from last years roster. Hope everything is OK and this isn’t something deeper.

Reaction Score
Man, this is going to bite us later on. That’s 3 players not coming back who had eligibility. An unhealthy amount of turnover from last years roster. Hope everything is OK and this isn’t something deeper.

You think there might be something deeper behind a 23 year old and a 22 year old who's been in college for 5 years deciding to move on? They're not transferring.

Reaction Score
If you are good enough, you play. If you are not, you sit. Players know this.
I tend to agree with you there. I just would have liked to see Sool play some when we played the cupcakes in the beginning of the year to gage where he was at, that never materialized.

Reaction Score
Are people under the impression that there aren't 1,000 kids who transfer every year? Or realize that we were one of just three major conference teams that didn't take a transfer last year?

Most teams have 12-13 scholarship players and an 8 (or less) man rotation. There are 4-5 guys sitting at the end of every bench in America, and a lot of those kids are going to transfer more often than not these days.

You can think this is a major issue specific to our program, or realize that this is the new normal in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Bordering on pushing a false narrative. There’s absolutely nothing going on with Cole and Tyrese opting to leave. Martin is 23. He wants to make money playing basketball and probably has no interest in working a warehouse gig in Allentown again to pay his mom’s bills. I would make the same decision if I was blessed with his talent. RJ probably doesn’t want to be in college for 6 years. Some people are eager to move into the next phase of life and new challenges and experiences.

Reaction Score
Nothing to deep about a couple of guys looking to make some money after 5 years in school.

Reaction Score
Saw him play where? I saw him with my own eyes in live action about 10 mins total this season. Is it really out of the realm to possibly believe that Hurley had blind loyalty to gaffney and for whatever reason thought diggins was going ride the pine as a freshman and “pay his dues” and not be miffed about it? It got so ridiculous during some of the scrub December games we actually thought diggins was hurt or had a falling out with the coach. —-again it’s simple —the way Gaffney played in mid December how could you not at least give the kid a shot? Was Hurley afraid they were gonna lose to MD - eastern shore because diggins played over gaffney? Lolol- Plus , not a good look at all. Might Hurt that Philly connection The negatives for not playing him early on faaaarrr outweigh the positives. I refuse to believe diggins would of hurt us on the court that much more than gaff did —-No excuse for not giving him early run — None.
Just because you refuse to believe something doesn’t change reality. Diggins couldn’t get minutes based on how his coach evaluates. If your argument is he should play guys even if they don’t earn them I’m sure you’d be complaining about that too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom