Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads) | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads)

Reaction Score
For those of you who like rummaging through clearance bins, deep discount aisles, and flea markets, here's a pile of various bad takes, hot-takes, Hurley-hater posts, etc from the thread so far.

Have fun, you're welcome. I have Venmo & Paypal.

Those posts say it all. ^^^^^

Josh Carlton made himself a lot of money this year with his performance because he bet on himself.

For better or worse of UConn MBB, Diggins is betting on himself.

Reaction Score
The reality is that he hasn't recruited a starting caliber PG yet out of HS. It's going into year 5. We should have multiple and we have zero.
He also got 2 years out of Christian Vital (and he improved significantly) and brought in Cole as a transfer (and he improved significantly).

So, yes, he hasn't gotten a HS point guard, but he's done pretty well at the position nonetheless.

Reaction Score
Some top 60 recruits are overrated. Diggins was one of them.

Flush it, learn, and move on.
Maybe…but missing on a Top 60 point guard when you ABSOLUTELY need a point guard (plus guard depth) and hoping Jalen Gaffney works out is a failure that’s gonna sting for more than just a season. And I’d argue that there’s room between being overrated and not being able to get off the bench when there’s no one in front of you

Reaction Score
Who's hitting the panic button? You said it was no surprise because he was recruited over, and I was simply asking who you are saying we recruited over him.

I gather now that you were saying that we hope to recruit over him, which is something quite different.

Not a cause for panic in any event. I tempered my expectations for next season long before this.
Its called intuition. You can tell by the timing of the announcement and by Hurley's comments. This shouldn't be that difficult.

Reaction Score
Saw him play where? I saw him with my own eyes in live action about 10 mins total this season. Is it really out of the realm to possibly believe that Hurley had blind loyalty to gaffney and for whatever reason thought diggins was going ride the pine as a freshman and “pay his dues” and not be miffed about it? It got so ridiculous during some of the scrub December games we actually thought diggins was hurt or had a falling out with the coach. —-again it’s simple —the way Gaffney played in mid December how could you not at least give the kid a shot? Was Hurley afraid they were gonna lose to MD - eastern shore because diggins played over gaffney? Lolol ??? Plus not a good look at all. Might Hurt that Philly connection No excuse.
Every single day for multiple hours a day in practice. But yeah I'm sure Hurley loved having 1 PG as he cut Gaffney's minutes and had to keep finding new ways to keep Cole fresh. The idea that Hurley was actively not playing the best players because he likes seniors is by far one of the more idiotic narratives constantly thrown around here

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Castle is 2023, and the OP said Diggins was recruited over, which, to me, suggests someone we already signed for 2022. I don't think we have anyone elseon the line yet, but perhaps he meant we hope to recruit over him with a transfer to be named.
Sure, but he knows who Castle is. And if he's been told we are bringing in a transfer PG to start, one who probably has two years of eligibility, then he's what? The 3rd point guard as a junior and maybe the backup as a senior? Even next year he might be 3rd again. I understand how he'd read the room and make this choice.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Its called intuition. You can tell by the timing of the announcement and by Hurley's comments. This shouldn't be that difficult.
It also shouldn't be that difficult to say what you meant, which you didn't.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Seems to me Diggins was recruited over. This did not catch the staff by surprise nor is it a real concern.
What ballhandler who can play PG was recruited over him since we seem to be loaded in the frontcourt and have the CGs (Hawkins and Floyd)?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sure, but he knows who Castle is. And if he's been told we are bringing in a transfer PG to start, one who probably has two years of eligibility, then he's what? The 3rd point guard as a junior and maybe the backup as a senior? Even next year he might be 3rd again. I understand how he'd read the room and make this choice.
Absolutely. My question was simply related to the OP's confusing use of the past tense, which made it sound like we already recruited over him, which we didn't.

Reaction Score
You can’t have it both ways.

Did Hurley make a mistake in recruiting Diggins or did he make a mistake in not playing him? Because we’re without an option at point guard right now which is a major, major problem.

This isn’t the first top-100 kid who hasn’t even made it to the end of the second semester.
Yeah and the other one absolutely killed it at A&M this year. You are on fire today! Keep going

Reaction Score
mm.jpg

Reaction Score
It’s funny because after me and my buddies were shocked about how Hurley wasn’t playing diggins at all after the thxsgiving tourney not even a sniff — we said well at least he’s gonna play him during scrub time in November and December and he continued to amaze us and still didn’t play him. I mean come on you got a find some room for your freshman point guard especially with what you invested in him and how we were short in that area. There’s no justification. I don’t care how bad he is
Read the provided post that highlights that there was limited scrub time.

Reaction Score
Every single day for multiple hours a day in practice. But yeah I'm sure Hurley loved having 1 PG as he cut Gaffney's minutes and had to keep finding new ways to keep Cole fresh. The idea that Hurley was actively not playing the best players because he likes seniors is by far one of the more idiotic narratives constantly thrown around here
Never said Diggins was our better backup just merely saying what do u have to lose by giving him some live run. We kno what gaff can do. Sometimes kids play better in live in game situations , might boost his confidence etc. we ll never know —I’m just asking a question of why he didn’t get a sip of minutes ??? He must’ve been walk on level bad and that’s very hard to believe considering kansas Villanova Xavier all recruited him. And the kids only 18!!!!!! Gaff been here 3 years. Ok. What’s done is done. We ll see what happens. Disappointing losing him either way

Reaction Score
Was that the case? I don't follow recruiting closely but I remember an article or tweet about how Hurley went into Villanova's backyard and stole a point guard from Wright.

well, in a way, Hurley git a recruit from Philly. So, I guess it isn’t completely off. But, neither the kid nor Wright really pursued it. He was not a priority. And for the kid, neither was Nova. Angelo Brizzi is a sturdier build..and he came in over 180 lbs and redshirted to work on his body and game.

Mikail Bridges did it and it really helped his development. so, getting a guy who buys in to the long game isn’t common. But, Bridges swears by it. So Nova has had some success getting kids to do that. Eric Dixon did it too.

Wright - says- “I’ll play when you are ready..Trust me, you don’t WANT to go out there before you are ready etc. ;and sometimes some guys on a team team are ready BUT I’m also not sitting a more efficient player just to make a kid happy”

Reaction Score
What ballhandler who can play PG was recruited over him since we seem to be loaded in the frontcourt and have the CGs (Hawkins and Floyd)?
Do you really think that Hurley was caught off guard by this and they don't have some one lined up to replace him? This is college basketball 101. I guarantee you the staff has been in touch with multiple ball handlers who will contribute next year far more than Diggins would have. This was expressed to Diggins and the choice to transfer was mutual. This happens in every program in America. People slammed Hurley for not acknowleding his mistakes. Now they are slamming him for admitting them. Its insufferable.

Reaction Score
Are we talking junior Gaff or freshmen Diggins? One continued to get minutes with starters and performed horribly. Same player had arguably the worst statistical year in UCONN history and had his minutes cut for a SF. The other player barely played at all from around Christmas to end of the season. Same player was put in with the B squad for a few minutes each game at the beginning of the year and is judged more harshly.
One player was capable (not great) of bringing the ball up the court against pressure and the other just wasn't capable.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It's a different era now folks. This is reality for a lot of teams now. Once the idiotic Covid super-seniors are gone it may calm down slightly. But the truth on the ground is:
1. There are now 5 years of eligibility worth of players across 3 classes. Fewer roster spots for freshmen and fewer minutes, especially at power programs.
2. Anybody can leave and go play elsewhere anytime they want
3. All those good players (like Cole) who develop at small schools are going to be scooped up and take the jobs of more highly recruited kids who don't show they have got it.

KU had a top 100 4* freshman PG who played 8 minutes. Longino for Villanova, SG #55 played 9 minutes.
Our team was not even close to performing like these two schools. For example, how many minutes would Polley have gotten on those teams? Did not those teams have at least one legitimate point guard? Did those teams frequently collapse under pressure defense like we did? So your comparing apples and pears.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
well, in a way, Hurley git a recruit from Philly. So, I guess it isn’t completely off. But, neither the kid nor Wright really pursued it. He was not a priority. And for the kid, neither was Nova. Angelo Brizzi is a sturdier build..and he came in over 180 lbs and redshirted to work on his body and game.

Mikail Bridges did it and it really helped his development. so, getting a guy who buys in to the long game isn’t common. But, Bridges swears by it. So Nova has had some success getting kids to do that. Eric Dixon did it too.

Wright - says- “I’ll play when you are ready..Trust me, you don’t WANT to go out there before you are ready etc. ;and sometimes some guys on a team team are ready BUT I’m also not sitting a more efficient player just to make a kid happy”
Hurley and Wright = Apples and Pears

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
The guy is not infallible. He’s not Jay Wright. You can’t watch the contributions Creighton and Marq freshman made and tell me Diggins, Johnson et al. couldn’t have contributed.

Hurley over-relied on his older guys and significantly shrunk the rotation as the year went on. Playing Diggins in garbage time with the end of the bench is not the same as giving him spot minutes with the starters to help ease him in.

Were he some high 3-star role player it would make more sense. This was a top-75 kid who got offers from Kansas and Nova. Was the Philly player of the year twice.

Unfortunately this is going to be life with the transfer portal now and it’s going to be a problem for Hurley if he can’t find minutes for his star recruits even in the buy game portion of the schedule.

Reaction Score
We all knew this was likely. If I were in his shoes I would have done the same thing. Players want to play and I'm willing to bet he winds up being pretty good. Best of luck Rashool.
I'm willing to bet he ends up at an A10 level school and might be decent by year 3 or 4 of his college career. We all know how critical the PG position is, but it's also the toughest spot to fill. We're in a strange time right now where for a lot of teams it actually makes more sense to bring in an experience PG who has played 2-3 years and over performed their ranking vs. bringing in a freshman stud who may not even have what it takes to play. It's a fine line because if you strike gold and get the top PG in the class and they go out and kill it then they're gone in 1-2 years anyway. It's extremely hard to build a culture where kids are willing to wait 2 years to MAYBE have a chance to play their position, but with all the COVID rules that's kind of the reality we're in right now. How is an 18 year old kid supposed to come in and compete with a 23 year old who has 4 years of D1 playing experience? It's just not realistic.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So funny that everyone is blaming Hurley for "not playing him". Multiple sources (inside and outside the program) had said Diggins wasn't ready. Hurley and Staff came to the conclusion that he's not not a fit for the program or Big East basketball. There's a reason why Jay Wright passed on him....

You don't need sources to see he wasn't ready... literally just watch the game. CCSU shouldn't see a UConn impact guard and think "it's time to eat" Grambling State wasn't concerned about diggins.

Reaction Score
He was more than serviceable on Teddy. I think Teddy had like 2 points in the first half when Dre picked up his 2nd foul. Dre went to bench and Teddy torched Tyrese but Dre did an admirable job I'd say.
I guess you missed his second half defense on Teddy. It was less than desirable. Maybe he was tired but kept getting beat off the dribble and trying block or steal from behind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom