Qudus Announcing Decision on the 30th | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Qudus Announcing Decision on the 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Don't see how you can say that? I wouldn't at all be surprised if they are a tournament team. Just beat FSU and Louisville, played NC State tough, lost by 1 to Iowa. 12-5 record.

Fair point, I guess we'll see. I don't see them holding serve for the rest of the season. jmo tho

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Don't see how you can say that? I wouldn't at all be surprised if they are a tournament team. Just beat FSU and Louisville, played NC State tough, lost by 1 to Iowa. 12-5 record.

They’ve been begrudgingly better than I expected, but they also have a loss to a god awful Niagara team on there as well and 12-5 is inflated by a very soft non-conference schedule. Everything has gone right for them thus far, so we’ll see how they do once some adversity hits. When all is said and done, they’re likely an NIT team.

Reaction Score
I really don’t understand what Georgetown is doing. Maybe 15 years ago you could have played multiple centers on the floor together but not today. For them to be recruiting another true center this hard seems absurd.

And yet Govan chose them over UConn despite G'town having 3 centers returning the following year.

Reaction Score
We were certainly heavily recruiting Govan.
Yes, and we were trending in the crystal ball for him, then Enoch surpassed him in the rankings and KO prioritized Enoch.

At the time people said Govan was a below the rim player etc, but he had a great senior year and reclaimed top 50 status. Obviously he turned out to be a stud.

Reaction Score
Yes, and we were trending in the crystal ball for him, then Enoch surpassed him in the rankings and KO prioritized Enoch.

At the time people said Govan was a below the rim player etc, but he had a great senior year and reclaimed top 50 status. Obviously he turned out to be a stud.

At the time of Govan's commitment, he was a 5* on 247 who had just picked up a Duke offer. We had an in home visit with him weeks before his commitment. Georgetown led us in the crystal throughout those weeks before Steve was on the radar. Enoch was unranked.

Reaction Score
I guess I don't really understand why. I get that he didn't choose them, but if he decides he actually does want to come to Storrs, I think it'd be foolish not to take him. He has the ability to be a culture changer and I think he would really give us the best chance at being really competitive next year.

Doesn't it seem like if UConn is willing to move on from Kofi, it is probably because he doesn't have any interest in coming here, even if he does open up his recruitment again? I have to trust that the coaching staff has a good grasp of who is and is not a realistic option at this point.

Reaction Score
At the time of Govan's commitment, he was a 5* on 247 who had just picked up a Duke offer. We had an in home visit with him weeks before his commitment. Georgetown led us in the crystal throughout those weeks before Steve was on the radar. Enoch was unranked.
What? Govan was never offered by Duke and peaked at 37th which is a 4 star.

We got crystal ball picks for Govan in the winter and spring of 2014, around which time he fell into the 60-70 range. Enoch got bumped up to #47 on 247’s personal list in the spring and we started prioritizing him. It made sense at the time because Enoch looked like the more impressive prospect physically and he was a local kid.

Reaction Score
What? Govan was never offered by Duke and peaked at 37th which is a 4 star.

We got crystal ball picks for Govan in the winter and spring of 2014, around which time he fell into the 60-70 range. Enoch got bumped up to #47 on 247’s personal list in the spring and we started prioritizing him. It made sense at the time because Enoch looked like the more impressive prospect physically and he was a local kid.

He didn't get a Duke offer. I screwed that up. They apparently started to recruit him in late April but he never got the offer. I think you may be wrong about some of the rest.

Link

He had in an home with our staff two weeks prior to this article.

He committed 2 weeks later. Enoch was unranked at this time. He had an impressive showing at Pangos versus Stephen Zimmerman late April which was really the first time he was on anyone's radar. I think we started hitting him up a week, maybe 2 before Govan committed and he visited the next month.

I don't have the energy anymore but I used to be a recruiting junkie and I just read the Enoch threads from his recruitment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He didn't get a Duke offer. I screwed that up. They apparently started to recruit him in late April but he never got the offer. I think you may be wrong about everything else though.

Link

He had in an home with our staff two weeks prior to this article.

He committed 2 weeks later. Enoch was unranked at this time. He had an impressive showing at Pangos versus Stephen Zimmerman late April which was really the first time he was on anyone's radar. I think we started hitting him up a week, maybe 2 before Govan committed and he visited the next month.

I don't have the energy anymore but I used to be a recruiting junkie.
Before he committed we really stopped trying too hard with Govan. People were wondering about why that was at the time.

You can look at players’ composite rankings historically now. Govan was never a 5 star. 247 was the first site to rank Enoch top 100 and it happened around the time Govan decided. Our staff had tailed off with him, maybe because he wasn’t feeling UConn anymore, not sure. I think between Diamond Stone and then Enoch, we just got complacent with recruiting Govan. Got CB picks in Feb and April but then stopped visiting him with any regularity.

Reaction Score
Before he committed we really stopped trying too hard with Govan. People were wondering about why that was at the time.

You can look at players’ composite rankings historically now. Govan was never a 5 star. 247 was the first site to rank Enoch top 100 and it happened around the time Govan decided. Our staff had tailed off with him, maybe because he wasn’t feeling UConn anymore, not sure. I think between Diamond Stone and then Enoch, we just got complacent with recruiting Govan. Got CB picks in Feb and April.

It's not really worth arguing. Govan was ranked 14th when he committed by 247. That's why I specified 247 because I know the other services didn't have him as high. If you spend 5 minutes reading the Govan and Enoch recruiting threads in the archive you will notice that the timing doesn't fit your narrative. I remember reading conjecture that we backed off after he committed but that was likely a rationalization by our fanbase, a common occurrence.

Reaction Score
It's not really worth arguing. Govan was ranked 14th when he committed by 247. That's why I specified 247 because I know the other services didn't have him as high. If you spend 5 minutes reading the Govan and Enoch recruiting threads in the archive you will notice that the timing doesn't fit your narrative. I remember reading conjecture that we backed off after he committed but that was likely a rationalization by our fanbase, a common occurrence.
Not worth digging but I thought you meant composite anyway. Either way, another blip on the radar in terms of misses.

Reaction Score
I mean I know nothing about the kid of his personality or anything.

Georgetown's a good choice. Ewing is a good bigs coach, there's playing time without there being pressure. It's the Big East. Also just a great place to get an education.

Pitt scares me zero. It's the ACC. It's playing all you want. But that program stinks right now. There just doesn't seem to be a path yet for them to get a lot better.

For us, I mean he's really *what we need badly* right now. There's lots of playing time. But if there's another recruit or a grad transfer, there's less pressure out the blocks to be THE GUY. Also a good place to get your education, but it's also the American.

I'm probably just being biased right now, but I feel like if you're taking the check box approach UConn's probably the best place for him to go now - especially now with Kofi gone. But again, who knows how he liked it here on campus, how he felt, etc.

Just about anyone might easily disagree with your assessment of Pittsburgh.
They're 12-5, just handily beat Florida St, and three of their top four scorers are freshmen, all of whom are averaging better than 10 points per game. Sounds like a solid base you can tout to any recruits you're pursuing and the announcers on the broadcast of the Fla. St. game were lavishing Capel with praise and saying he'll bring the kinds of recruits he brought to Duke. He's surely telling Wahab he's the missing piece to their ascendency over the next several years.
Just because you wish they're zero doesn't mean it's reality.

Reaction Score
Georgetown is the team to beat here IMO.

Agree with that. They have two outstanding freshman guards and freshman forward plus lots of other pieces. Just need that dominant man in the middle and Ewing surely is telling him he'll make him an NBA player in his own image.

Reaction Score
If you held a gun to Chief’s head (don’t get your hopes up about that visual - LOL), Chief would pick UConn to win this battle based on momentum and other factors.
Just don't let some posters here hold the gun. I'm sure they'll pull the trigger before you get to pick anything (not me though - you get luv from me):D

Reaction Score

Too many people living in the past and those that are should check this year's Pitt lineup. Three freshmen in their top four in scoring, all averaging high 20's minutes, so they have lots to tell recruits and they seem to be getting better as they go along this year. All you can call it is wishful thinking by some UConn fans.

Reaction Score
Pitt may have a better win in FSU, but they also have a loss to 8-9 Niagara. UConn has nothing close to that bad of a loss.

Reaction Score
BasketballRecruiting.Rivals.com - Wednesday's Leftovers: Dishing on Walker Kessler, UNC, Shaka Smart
One decision that does seem to be imminent is that of Qudus Wahab. Go ahead, roll your eyes. I know that you have heard this one before. The Rivals150 center was expected to commit weeks before the New Year, but instead put it on the back burner. However, Wahab did tell Rivals.com last week that he will make his commitment on Jan. 30. Selecting a favorite for him is tricky, but the latest whispers surround the Hoyas.

Defeating Pitt, Syracuse, UConn and Virginia Tech will be no easy task, and it would not be a shock to see Wahab at any of the programs on his final list.

Reaction Score
BasketballRecruiting.Rivals.com - Wednesday's Leftovers: Dishing on Walker Kessler, UNC, Shaka Smart
One decision that does seem to be imminent is that of Qudus Wahab. Go ahead, roll your eyes. I know that you have heard this one before. The Rivals150 center was expected to commit weeks before the New Year, but instead put it on the back burner. However, Wahab did tell Rivals.com last week that he will make his commitment on Jan. 30. Selecting a favorite for him is tricky, but the latest whispers surround the Hoyas.

Defeating Pitt, Syracuse, UConn and Virginia Tech will be no easy task, and it would not be a shock to see Wahab at any of the programs on his final list.

We need more grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA