QB1 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

QB1

Reaction Score
Right, and if you ever challenged him on the “bill” or asked where your order was he would tell you to FO. Couple all of that with a place packed with drunk college students and you have some real comedy.
The best resteraunt in town was Clark's off main heading up toward Eastern.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Private Stock Malt Liquor aka the Green Death & JP’s Finest ... available at Universal grocery store when your final pinched pennies couldn’t quite afford PBRs, Nasty, and other fine brews. Complementary puzzles to boot! The rest of the story:

I still remember one weekend trip at Universal with $5 in my pocket and needing to buy enough food for the weekend and having enough left to get a bar of soap. A package of Oscar Meyer dogs + cheap buns = 4 meals.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Did they burn down the ROTC hanger?
Don’t know. It went away for that hotel and then they hid the ROTC kids underground somewhere.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Aside from our crappy food and lodging options back in the day, these kids missed the magic of the old add/drop procedure.

You'd get your course schedule in the mail, realize that they only filled 3/5ths of it while directing you to add/drop in the old ROTC hanger to fill the rest of it.

And then you'd stand in line to get some course you needed only to find that they didn't have any cards for it - so you took whatever card they had and then you waved that card around like a carnival barker announcing what you had in your hand and what you wanted to trade it for.

That was pure madness.

Reaction Score
Aside from our crappy food and lodging options back in the day, these kids missed the magic of the old add/drop procedure.

You'd get your course schedule in the mail, realize that they only filled 3/5ths of it while directing you to add/drop in the old ROTC hanger to fill the rest of it.

And then you'd stand in line to get some course you needed only to find that they didn't have any cards for it - so you took whatever card they had and then you waved that card around like a carnival barker announcing what you had in your hand and what you wanted to trade it for.

That was pure madness.
...and signed it yourself as if you were a professor since no one checked. Professor Spock helped my add/drop immensely

Reaction Score
My wife says they contain nitrates and weren’t your healthiest option.

Good lord, we’re married to the same woman!

As if eating a hotdog is even remotely related to healthy eating.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
...and signed it yourself as if you were a professor since no one checked. Professor Spock helped my add/drop immensely

Haha....that was perhaps the most insane part of it.

No one knew or cared who you were, what year you were, what classes you were eligible for or even if you were a student. They just handed you whatever you asked for - if they didn't have my class, I would just ask which classes had the fewest cards and then I would take one of those and hope to trade it.

Somehow, it always worked out for almost everyone.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

That was pure madness.
I was trying to add one of Ira Ridgeway Davis’ (my all time favorite UConn professor) polisci classes and they gave me a card and told me I had to find him and have him sign it so I could add the class. Obviously, I forged his signature and turned it in to the lovely woman at the desk. She looked at it, smiled and said, “this isn’t his signature”. Indigently, I told her she was wrong and asked how the heck would she know. She laughed, looked me in the eye and said “because I’ve been married to him for 25 years”. :)

Reaction Score
I was trying to add one of Ira Ridgeway Davis’ (my all time favorite UConn professor) polisci classes and they gave me a card and told me I had to find him and have him sign it so I could add the class. Obviously, I forged his signature and turned it in to the lovely woman at the desk. She looked at it, smiled and said, “this isn’t his signature”. Indigently, I told her she was wrong and asked how the heck would she know. She laughed, looked me in the eye and said “because I’ve been married to him for 25 years”. :)

I LOVED Dr Ira Davis - took him twice

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Didn't Subway have a van that used to park outside of South?

Ate a lot of Taco Bell and Little Caesars on the weekend - $4 went a real long way at both back then.
We must have been there around the same time. I was in Crawford D, right by the Sub Truck. I ate a ton of Little Caesars, Sugar Shack, and Store 24 back then.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
My floor was so bad that they tried to put us on 24/7 quiet hours. We ended up being so much worse after that, they backed down and left us alone lol
Terrible tolland?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Ok ok

3 whole pages of the thread AND no mention of the “End of the World” party in South Campus in 1979. Broke up all of Stowe ... and others from All Male to Coed. Then scraped them a few years later. The Bright guys in Stowe decided: (1) burn all the furniture in common areas & kitchens; and (2) invite the biker gangs from all across Connecticut to attend and drink free beer. Over 65 kegs ordered. Money raised by showing Classic in Von der Mehden.

I had been Stowe B in 1977-1978. An RA in Alumni the next year. The Residential Life Administration went wild; it made The NY Times.
Wasn't the End of World party 1979?

Reaction Score
A cousin that worked at Add/Drop and the Alumni Center restaurant before my arrival weaseled my way into Add/Drop jobs for 4 years and Alumni Center F&B work 2 years. Magically, unavailable courses sometimes freed up for me, maybe a few coeds and friends alike, extra meals inexplicably found their way into doggy bags, an occasional bottle mysteriously beamed it’s way to certain dorm rooms, and extra shekels enhanced social lives, and funded some OK weekend meals. Weird enough, busiest semesters were easily my best. Too much free time not so much ...

Reaction Score

That was pure madness.
That entire process was crazy and intimidating. Add/Drop and Room Draw. It had to be unique to UConn.

The play when I was there was, I needed to get into a class which was full. So someone I know already in the class would drop it, and I would be right behind him in line and add it. He wouldn't follow through in submitting his drop and I would still get in. Only did that a couple of times but it worked.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That entire process was crazy and intimidating. Add/Drop and Room Draw. It had to be unique to UConn.

The play when I was there was, I needed to get into a class which was full. So someone I know already in the class would drop it, and I would be right behind him in line and add it. He wouldn't follow through in submitting his drop and I would still get in. Only did that a couple of times but it worked.

Genius.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was there 03-07 and no one ever called north the jungle in a meaningful way...more of a it used to be called that kind of way.

They used to have a bizarre way of letting out-of-state freshmen avoid the Jungle; if your SAT score was high enough, you could avoid the Jungle and get placed in more serene surroundings. I guess they figured we couldn't just go home to get a break from it.

I like visiting the Jungle on some Thursday nights. I also enjoyed leaving it.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The greatest dorm at UConn was the housed at Rodgers - the Intentional Democratic Community. Run by students, Blue Oyster Cult album covers in hallways, just a great experiment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Haha....that was perhaps the most insane part of it.

No one knew or cared who you were, what year you were, what classes you were eligible for or even if you were a student. They just handed you whatever you asked for - if they didn't have my class, I would just ask which classes had the fewest cards and then I would take one of those and hope to trade it.

Somehow, it always worked out for almost everyone.

The process for choosing your dorm was much the same as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom