QB1 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

QB1

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ok, @HuskyHawk . Your chef was Benny and "Sherman Rules the Quad!" The Tombstone still lives on Sherman Beach and yes, I do remember the Sherman Random Noise Band. I was there from 87-91. I heard all the stories about the all male dorm and met some of the alumni as they came back during Spring Weekend and Homecoming.

Legend Story: Someone found out that the owner of Piels (Bill Piels) lived in Sherman, Connecticut. So, the dorm invited him to the dorm picnic at Mansfield Hollow. The picnic is going great and a large black Lincoln pulls up and Bill Piels and his wife pull up with cases of Piels and signs everyone's beer cans. I loved that story and wished I was there.

I was in Lafayette (3rd floor), which is where they sent the guys from 2nd floor Sherman the year before in order to make it co-ed. I arrived in 1984. I had forgotten the random noise band, but I participated in it. Can't recall who the chef was honestly. We had the highest priced meal plan on campus.

Legend Story: My super-senior final semester (Crawford, floor was almost all 9th semester guys like me) we went to see Otis Day and the Knights on campus. One of the guys in the dorm chatted with a band member after, and they wanted to know where they could party. He told them to come to our dorm and we'd take care of them. So they did. And we partied with Otis Day and the Knights...playing "Shout!" obviously. Fun memory.

Spring Weekend Story: I'm watching Joan Jett, and about 6 feet away are a bunch of wild looking guys who looked like they escaped from the art school. Joan finished up and ten minutes later those guys were on stage singing "I'll stop the world and melt with you".

Reaction Score
I was in Lafayette (3rd floor), which is where they sent the guys from 2nd floor Sherman the year before in order to make it co-ed. I arrived in 1984. I had forgotten the random noise band, but I participated in it. Can't recall who the chef was honestly. We had the highest priced meal plan on campus.

Legend Story: My super-senior final semester (Crawford, floor was almost all 9th semester guys like me) we went to see Otis Day and the Knights on campus. One of the guys in the dorm chatted with a band member after, and they wanted to know where they could party. He told them to come to our dorm and we'd take care of them. So they did. And we partied with Otis Day and the Knights...playing "Shout!" obviously. Fun memory.

Spring Weekend Story: I'm watching Joan Jett, and about 6 feet away are a bunch of wild looking guys who looked like they escaped from the art school. Joan finished up and ten minutes later those guys were on stage singing "I'll stop the world and melt with you".

This is just vaguely the plot of animal house

Reaction Score
The Jungle Cafe. Pronounced Calf.
Stop with this North nonsense you PC Snowflakes.
It's not "the jungle" anymore. Hasn't been for over a decade. It's just a boring dorm now.

Reaction Score
Ok ok

3 whole pages of the thread AND no mention of the “End of the World” party in South Campus in 1979. Broke up all of Stowe ... and others from All Male to Coed. Then scraped them a few years later. The Bright guys in Stowe decided: (1) burn all the furniture in common areas & kitchens; and (2) invite the biker gangs from all across Connecticut to attend and drink free beer. Over 65 kegs ordered. Money raised by showing Classic in Von der Mehden.

I had been Stowe B in 1977-1978. An RA in Alumni the next year. The Residential Life Administration went wild; it made The NY Times.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is just vaguely the plot of animal house

You can see why it was something of a miracle that I got into law school. I never drank in high school and was dropped into that.

Reaction Score
I was in South ... and yes the floors were finished.
Not sure what the latter references, but I vaguely recall more than a few 1/4 barrel bowling Tues & Wed nights. Not just floors, but walls, doors, and occasionally legs of owners foolish enough to enter our hallway without looking beware ...

“Knowledge is good”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure what the latter references, but I vaguely recall more than a few 1/4 barrel bowling Tues & Wed nights. Not just floors, but walls, doors, and occasionally legs of owners foolish enough to enter our hallway without looking beware ...

“Knowledge is good”
We did not do that. We would have if we'd thought of it though.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You could discern beer quality in college??

Our routine was enough "premium" (Michelob, Heine's, St. Pauli) to get a buzz, then Weidemann's till you passed out.

If there are any Piels fans out there, you can still get it at Greasy Nick's (Lido's Clam Bar) on Shore Rd in New Rochelle. Last time I was there they also had 'Gansett. Used to carry Knickerbocker as late as a decade ago.

When I was in Crandall C in 77-78, we had Stan, a true Polock as our cook. Kielbasa, stuffed cabbage and thin pork chops were the usual. Dude couldn't cook Italian at all. But, whenever he served beets as a side, immediate food fight.

Stowe was just a cluster. Spent one semester in Stowe C where we had a funnelator to bomb Mirror Lake. Stowe A were animals. Ripped out the pay phone so nobody could call home. IIRC, the year before the End of the World Party, they had a sewage leak into their kitchen. If the school hadn't closed it, I'm positive they would've kept eating the food.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think my favorite part of this thread is Pudge gamely trying to talk football right in the middle of it.

I'm about to go all get-off-my-lawn....

You kids had it easy. Back in the day, when I lived in South in a building with exposed heating pipes and a dirt floor in the laundry room, our best dining options were either a sandwich or whatever gray meat UConn managed to buy from the remaindered pen at the slaughterhouse.

The same. I ate a lot of Subway back then.

The grey meat comment brought back memories....we used to call the roast beef au jus....roast beef aw geez.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The same. I ate a lot of Subway back then.

The grey meat comment brought back memories....we used to call the roast beef au jus....roast beef aw geez.

Didn't Subway have a van that used to park outside of South?

Ate a lot of Taco Bell and Little Caesars on the weekend - $4 went a real long way at both back then.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Subway 's motto was we aren't styro food! I was a dorm steward in the early 80's. Having a commercial kitchen at our beckon call at that age was just over the top. Add to the fact that the drinking age was 18 meant we could have kegs with our dinners! Dorms did fundraisers back then. One used the life sciences building to show DeepThroat. What a time

Reaction Score
We did not do that. We would have if we'd thought of it though.
I did not think of 1/4 barrel hallway bowling, but being more knowledgeable clearly made all of the difference

Reaction Score
Think it will always be the Jungle. If you don’t have that mindset ... to bad for you.
kids don't even call it that anymore. haven't since at least 2010

Reaction Score
Flip cup with Dubra
dubraaaaa. quintessential UConn. They should sponsor events. It's the only place you'll ever see it besides connecticut high school parties.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
kids don't even call it that anymore. haven't since at least 2010
Confirmed. My daughter got lucky in room draw, she was headed to Hartford Hall but a roommate change landed her in Alumni. Didn’t care about my Litchfield war stories.

Reaction Score
Dorms did fundraisers back then. One used the life sciences building to show DeepThroat. What a time
Cant say our dorm was the only sponsor, but Deep Throat and Debbie Does Dallas absolutely funded a few parties’ worth of barrels. Never heard any complaints from the nearby Women’s Center on Gilbert. It was a different time.

Reaction Score
Confirmed. My daughter got lucky in room draw, she was headed to Hartford Hall but a roommate change landed her in Alumni. Didn’t care about my Litchfield war stories.
Alumni is so much better nowadays. she made a good choice lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom