QB1 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

QB1

Reaction Score
Didn't Subway have a van that used to park outside of South?
Yup, the Subway owner must have bought his South Campus access. Not setting the quality food bar too high, but the local local food truck before Subway was much better.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Ate a lot of Taco Bell and Little Caesars on the weekend - $4 went a real long way at both back then.

Cheap weekend hotdogs at Wawa. Gumby’s pizza.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Ate a lot of Taco Bell and Little Caesars on the weekend - $4 went a real long way at both back then.
Yes....I was there 3 times a week after passing on the grey meat. Early food truck I guess.

Reaction Score
Yes....I was there 3 times a week after passing on the grey meat. Early food truck I guess.

A full decade before ... there were three good food trucks right in front of ROTC (where that Garage is on North Eagleville - next to Visitirs Center). Grinders. Sub sandwiches. Burgers. Something other than dorm food.

Reaction Score
A full decade before ... there were three good food trucks right in front of ROTC (where that Garage is on North Eagleville - next to Visitirs Center). Grinders. Sub sandwiches. Burgers. Something other than dorm food.
Irma's. Great cheeseburger grinders

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Alumni is so much better nowadays. she made a good choice lol
Yeah she's steps.away from McMahon and South cafes, center of campus nearby, etc. She was in Towers freshman year and didn't like it much.

Reaction Score
Haffenreffers, funnels, and late night burritos from Store 20-Free.

Reaction Score
Yeah she's steps.away from McMahon and South cafes, center of campus nearby, etc. She was in Towers freshman year and didn't like it much.
hey, could be worse. I got stuck in shippee my freshman year

Reaction Score
And for 9 PM snacks, when Wes Bialosuknia was the star of the BBall team, you could buy grinders from Wes as he carried a cardboard box of grinders for sale from Lou's from dorm to dorm and fraternity to fraternity.
Then, Sunday nights, you could go to the Park Central hotel in Willimantic for 95 cent plates of shells and meatballs, served up with dime beers.
Oh, the good old days.

Reaction Score
I lived in Towers in the late 80"s. Back then each "small dorm" had it's own chef that cooked family style. No weekend meal plan, so I would go to TED's sub shop and get the Cheeseburger grinder, six patties. Half on Saturday and half on Sunday. I would wash it down with a milkshake from the Dairy Bar. My whole caloric intake would be the sub, milkshake, and assorted low quality beer.
I lived in Terry in the early/mid 80s. Our chef Johnny D. was a great guy, decent cook, and would join us at Huskies every Thursday for happy hour. Some of my best memories from college.

Reaction Score
Any of you remember Bill’s #7 in Willimantic? Easily one of the oddest places I’ve ever eaten, but open late at night into early morning and cheap.
The guy never wrote down an order. Worked the counter by his lonesome and just cleared the dishes, glasses and flatware til closing.

Reaction Score
The guy never wrote down an order. Worked the counter by his lonesome and just cleared the dishes, glasses and flatware til closing.

Right, and if you ever challenged him on the “bill” or asked where your order was he would tell you to FO. Couple all of that with a place packed with drunk college students and you have some real comedy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Speaking of gray meat, can't remember the name of that craphole little breakfast/lunch joint that preceded the Hardees across from South Campus, but I recall a time when we were served sandwiches with gray roast beef with full rainbow slime/sheen, and watched as the busboy went about collecting plates with a dog attached to the bus cart on a leash. The dog proceeded to lick all the scraps from every plate put into the bus trays.

Missing out on treats like this is why kids today just don't have strong immune systems.

Reaction Score
I thought the place in Willi was Gil’s. Breakfast spot, Texas style breakfast sandwich with chocolate milk, syrup on the bottom with a long spoon.

Gil’s Sign discovered

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I thought the place in Willi was Gil’s. Breakfast spot, Texas style breakfast sandwich with chocolate milk, syrup on the bottom with a long spoon.

Gil’s Sign discovered

yep such a surly bastard

i worked across the street at WILI - many nights made it across.

Reaction Score
We had a giant garbage bag in the middle of our dorm where we collected all the beer bottles and other glass and plastics and once every month or two we’d pack it in a car and drive to the Big Y and deposit them to get money for more booze.

Totally unrelated:

We also had flies.
We did basically the same thing. We collected cans etc and would keep in large garbage bags. We called it "cans for kegs". We would keep track of can total on a paper thermometer which we would color each day, until we reached our goal. Those were the days

Reaction Score
Haffenreffers
Private Stock Malt Liquor aka the Green Death & JP’s Finest ... available at Universal grocery store when your final pinched pennies couldn’t quite afford PBRs, Nasty, and other fine brews. Complementary puzzles to boot! The rest of the story:

Reaction Score
We collected cans etc and would keep in large garbage bags. We called it "cans for kegs". We would keep track of can total on a paper thermometer which we would color each day, until we reached our goal.
Rote amateurs ... as if experienced veterans couldn’t identify keg-qualification via accumulated can level ;)

Speaking of accumulation, Tiger Piss beckons some recognition ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom