QB1 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

QB1

Reaction Score
The irony is that the people who crack down on stuff like that are the people who did stuff like that when they were there.

And they somehow survived.
After the guy died during spring weekend, they definitely felt like they had to do something. But they really ruined the nightlife and I'm still bitter about it 5 years later

Reaction Score
They shut down carriage and Celeron while I was there. They basically removed all the off campus partying. #thankssusan

People are freaking out about tanks in DC for 4th of July and I’m over here like they had to bring in tanks to stop my college from partying

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
you had nothing on the over-boiled spaghetti with spice-less watered down sauce our alcoholic small former South Campus dorm chef tossed out.
Luxury. The best dinner our "chef" could come up with was frozen chicken pot pies. And the kitchen helper used put beets into everything because they were so good for young minds.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Pasta Bar? Hah, you had nothing on the over-boiled spaghetti with spice-less watered down sauce our alcoholic small former South Campus dorm chef tossed out. That said, the monthly king crab or surf & turf wasn’t too shabby if he wasn’t all koystered-up that night

When I lived in Towers it was small dorm food. We hired our own chef (and fired one) and we ate whatever was served, family style. No food on weekends. No pasta bar. It was that way in most of the dorms except the Jungle, Alumni, Buckley and Hilltop.

Reaction Score
People are freaking out about tanks in DC for 4th of July and I’m over here like they had to bring in tanks to stop my college from partying
My floor was so bad that they tried to put us on 24/7 quiet hours. We ended up being so much worse after that, they backed down and left us alone lol

Reaction Score
My floor was so bad that they tried to put us on 24/7 quiet hours. We ended up being so much worse after that, they backed down and left us alone lol

Truly amazing that tanks and check points are not normal things at other schools. How do they survive??

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
A few years before I got there, some magazine named UConn as the top party school in the country and the admin flipped out. Our RA was cool, but the head RA for South was a full-on Neidermeyer - my roommate and I were both dragged in for a non-academic probation hearing for an incident that happened in the dorm...while we were in Boston for a BC-UConn game.

I moved off campus after a year and a half just because it was too oppressive.

That Magazine was Playboy. I think it was my freshman year. And the result of it was that we had MTV on campus two years in a row for Spring Weekend.

Reaction Score

It was basically the wild west at Busby. I think the administration forgot we were up there.

Reaction Score
It was basically the wild west at Busby. I think the administration forgot we were up there.
Our RA told us we were literally known around campus and people begged not to get us on weekends. Plants, signs and traffic cones were regularly stolen from other buildings and made their way to our hallways

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

My freshman year my whole floor except me and one other freshman, had been kicked out of Sherman house the year before. They made it co-ed because it was full on Animal House over there. They guys painted "4th Floor Sherman House" on our hallway wall. It was probably not ideal for my early grades.

Reaction Score
Our RA told us we were literally known around campus and people begged not to get us on weekends. Plants, signs and traffic cones were regularly stolen from other buildings and made their way to our hallways

What dorm?

Reaction Score
My freshman year my whole floor except me and one other freshman, had been kicked out of Sherman house the year before. They made it co-ed because it was full on Animal House over there. They guys painted "4th Floor Sherman House" on our hallway wall. It was probably not ideal for my early grades.
Ok, @HuskyHawk . Your chef was Benny and "Sherman Rules the Quad!" The Tombstone still lives on Sherman Beach and yes, I do remember the Sherman Random Noise Band. I was there from 87-91. I heard all the stories about the all male dorm and met some of the alumni as they came back during Spring Weekend and Homecoming.

Legend Story: Someone found out that the owner of Piels (Bill Piels) lived in Sherman, Connecticut. So, the dorm invited him to the dorm picnic at Mansfield Hollow. The picnic is going great and a large black Lincoln pulls up and Bill Piels and his wife pull up with cases of Piels and signs everyone's beer cans. I loved that story and wished I was there.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think my favorite part of this thread is Pudge gamely trying to talk football right in the middle of it.

I'm about to go all get-off-my-lawn....

You kids had it easy. Back in the day, when I lived in South in a building with exposed heating pipes and a dirt floor in the laundry room, our best dining options were either a sandwich or whatever gray meat UConn managed to buy from the remaindered pen at the slaughterhouse.
How old are you? I was in South and we had a cook and steward for 60 people. He'd make whatever we wanted. I used to call down from my room and get a bacon omelette and toast. Grab a quick shower, it pick up, slap the omelette between the bread, get a coffee, walk cross campus to the Math Science (Gant, I believe) building for my morning class.

... and yes the floors were finished.

Reaction Score
Back then each "small dorm" had it's own chef that cooked family style. No weekend meal plan ...
”Back then” and earlier just after Stowe’s end of the world event, small dorms were the way to go even with a drunk of a cook. IIRC, we went through 3 or 4 cooks in 2 years. The drunk just stopped showing up, and we were on our own for a week+.

Breakfast was great for an early morning class, afternoon siesta/study, evening/night partier, but rooming with the Steward and resulting key access made for some decent late night snacks.

On then no-food-served weekends, verboten kitchen access made for some OK to good meals. After Universal or A&P/Rapps runs, my best weekend meals were burgers or less frequently chicken or cheap steak grilled on a Hibachi. Just recalled one anal RA never who never could figure out the Hibachi wasn’t stored in my nor anyone’s room. Such a Richard!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
”Back then” and earlier just after Stowe’s end of the world event, small dorms were the way to go even with a drunk of a cook. IIRC, we went through 3 or 4 cooks in 2 years. The drunk just stopped showing up, and we were on our house own for a week+.

Breakfast was great for an early morning class, afternoon siesta/study, evening/night partier, but rooming with the Steward and key access made for some decent late night snacks.

On then no-food-served weekends, verboten kitchen access made for some OK to good meals. After Universal or A&P/Rapps runs, my best weekend meals were burgers or less frequently chicken or cheap steak grilled on a Hibachi. Just recalled one anal RA never who never could figure out the Hibachi wasn’t stored in my nor anyone’s room. Such a Richard!
I loved the small dorm life. You knew everyone and my roommate was also the steward and had access to the kitchen so we did have some perks to food other than TED's

Reaction Score
”Back then” and earlier just after Stowe’s end of the world event, small dorms were the way to go even with a drunk of a cook. IIRC, we went through 3 or 4 cooks in 2 years. The drunk just stopped showing up, and we were on our own for a week+.

Breakfast was great for an early morning class, afternoon siesta/study, evening/night partier, but rooming with the Steward and resulting key access made for some decent late night snacks.

Sounds to me like y’all had room service

Reaction Score
This is an excellent thread
Hah, the food part’s even better now that I can eat again after a early morning colonoscopy. Way TMI, but pretty hungry with multi-stage rockets blasting off late last night. Guess what you millennials get to do in a few decades?

Reaction Score
Hah, the food part’s even better now that I can eat again after a early morning colonoscopy. Way TMI, but pretty hungry with multi-stage rockets blasting off late last night. Guess what you millennials get to do in a few decades?

They’ll have invented bionic colons by then

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Looking back on it, the only really bad UConn dining option (that sticks out in my memory all these years later), was North.

And even they had that Tortellini bar every once in a while, which was great.

Another things I remember liking a lot: the coffee ground encrusted pork roast at South (which also had good pizza).

Best pizza: Northwest
The Jungle Cafe. Pronounced Calf.
Stop with this North nonsense you PC Snowflakes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom