QB1 | The Boneyard

QB1

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
That sounds like something the assumed starting qb would do. Has he won the role?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Everything I have heard is that Mike Beaudry from minute one on campus this summer has been doing everything he can to be a leader. Word is he spends a lot of time watching film, working out and looking to do drills with his WRs.

However, I dont think its necessarily fair to Leon and Krajewski to name Beaudry the starter because he has asserted himself in the off season (which is great). Lets declare him the started after at least one week of practice. All the other QBs need to bring their A game and bring it all year because Beaudry has a serious injury history. Plus, you never know - maybe your own game is getting better and can surprise everyone.

So lets get a week of practice in before we make declarations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Damn you. I hadn't though of the pasta bar in ages. Now I want it

Neither had I! I almost said the “the pasta bar at Hilltop” #yikes

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm usually not one to rave about a certain food place/item, but that Dairy Bar ice cream really is/was so friggin good. Haven't had it in years, but really nothing I've had comes close.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm usually not one to rave about a certain food place/item, but that Dairy Bar ice cream really is/was so friggin good. Haven't had it in years, but really nothing I've had comes close.

I had no use for ice cream, but the kid and I stopped at the Dairy Bar last year on our way up to the Cape and even I can tell that the ice cream there is in a different orbit than any other place.

Reaction Score
God I loved Pasta Bar. Mix the Alfredo and marinara SHEESH
Pasta Bar? Hah, you had nothing on the over-boiled spaghetti with spice-less watered down sauce our alcoholic small former South Campus dorm chef tossed out. That said, the monthly king crab or surf & turf wasn’t too shabby if he wasn’t all koystered-up that night

Reaction Score
You know what else was good? Chicken parm grinders from the union, but with Alfredo instead of marinara.

What?? I had no idea that was an option. Amazing.

Anyway, not to throw this thread completely off the rails, but does anyone remember the turkey sandwiches they sold at Bookworms? It was on rosemary focaccia bread with pepper jack cheese, lettuce, roasted red pepper and red pepper aioli.

College me loved that so much.

Reaction Score
What?? I had no idea that was an option. Amazing.

Anyway, not to throw this thread completely off the rails, but does anyone remember the turkey sandwiches they sold at Bookworms? It was on rosemary focaccia bread with pepper jack cheese, lettuce, roasted red pepper and red pepper aioli.

College me loved that so much.
Yes! The bread was surprisingly good. UConn really does have some good food options. I got fried chicken from Whitney once that was some of the best friend chicken I've ever had. I also think the pizza from the union is underrated.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Damn you. I hadn't though of the pasta bar in ages. Now I want it
Curious. Is Gelfinbein Commons in what I call the satellite Student Union next to the Towers Dorms? I lived in the Towers beginning when they were only a year old. The area across the interior driveway was a vacant field where we played softball and football and hit golf balls as far into the cemetery as we could. I know a building was built there several years after I graduated. I knew the elder Gelfenbeins who were the parents of UConn women’s soccer and basketball Jill Gelfennbein. Roger Gelfenbein was (is?) a big, charismatic guy. Maybe was a trustee at some point?

Do the Towers dorms still have their own kitchens? We had independent kitchens and hired our own chefs and did our own menus. We had social programs similar to frats and Saturday night live band parties about every 3 weeks. We couid eat at common dining halls if we needed to miss our Towers meals but there was no common dining hall at the Towers

Reaction Score
The Peach Ice Cream is awesome

Attachments

• CD31041D-0B13-45C4-956A-39E5DD114C11.jpeg
    CD31041D-0B13-45C4-956A-39E5DD114C11.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 40
Reaction Score
Curious. Is Gelfinbein Commons in what I call the satellite Student Union next to the Towers Dorms? I lived in the Towers beginning when they were only a year old. The area across the interior driveway was a vacant field where we played softball and football and hit golf balls as far into the cemetery as we could. I know a building was built there several years after I graduated. I knew the elder Gelfenbeins who were the parents of UConn women’s soccer and basketball Jill Gelfennbein. Roger Gelfenbein was (is?) a big, charismatic guy. Maybe was a trustee at some point?

Do the Towers dorms still have their own kitchens? We had independent kitchens and hired our own chefs and did our own menus. We had social programs similar to frats and Saturday night live band parties about every 3 weeks. We couid eat at common dining halls if we needed to miss our Towers meals but there was no common dining hall at the Towers
Yes Gelfenbein Commons is the towers dining hall. In order of preference from when I graduated, my ranking was:

Towers
South
Northwest
McMahon
Whitney
Putnam
North
Buckley

Reaction Score
Beaudry could make a huge difference. No truly established WRs - was surprised to find Skanes had 35 catches 2 years ago - and that’s wide open. I could see FR playing a lot. I could see Jay Rose having a big year.

But it starts with the OLine

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yes Gelfenbein Commons is the towers dining hall. In order of preference from when I graduated, my ranking was:

Towers
South
Northwest
McMahon
Whitney
Putnam
North
Buckley

McMahon was sneaky good, especially for lunch. I wasn't a huge South guy due to the crowds, but overall I think your list is pretty spot on.

Anyone else remember the pizza they used to make at Towers? Was sorta thin crust style. Feel like they did that up thru like 2006/7? Then it changed to the generic style my last couple years.

Looking back, I'm not shocked how fat I got those 4 years. lol.

Reaction Score
Looking back on it, the only really bad UConn dining option (that sticks out in my memory all these years later), was North.

And even they had that Tortellini bar every once in a while, which was great.

Another things I remember liking a lot: the coffee ground encrusted pork roast at South (which also had good pizza).

Best pizza: Northwest

Reaction Score
Pasta Bar? Hah, you had nothing on the over-boiled spaghetti with spice-less watered down sauce our alcoholic small former South Campus dorm chef tossed out. That said, the monthly king crab or surf & turf wasn’t too shabby if he wasn’t all koystered-up that night
I lived in Towers in the late 80"s. Back then each "small dorm" had it's own chef that cooked family style. No weekend meal plan, so I would go to TED's sub shop and get the Cheeseburger grinder, six patties. Half on Saturday and half on Sunday. I would wash it down with a milkshake from the Dairy Bar. My whole caloric intake would be the sub, milkshake, and assorted low quality beer.

Reaction Score
I lived in Towers in the late 80"s. Back then each "small dorm" had it's own chef that cooked family style. No weekend meal plan, so I would go to TED's sub shop and get the Cheeseburger grinder, six patties. Half on Saturday and half on Sunday. I would wash it down with a milkshake from the Dairy Bar. My whole caloric intake would be the sub, milkshake, and assorted low quality beer.

You could discern beer quality in college??

Reaction Score
McMahon was sneaky good, especially for lunch. I wasn't a huge South guy due to the crowds, but overall I think your list is pretty spot on.

Anyone else remember the pizza they used to make at Towers? Was sorta thin crust style. Feel like they did that up thru like 2006/7? Then it changed to the generic style my last couple years.

Looking back, I'm not shocked how fat I got those 4 years. lol.
I always though mcmahaon had good quality food, it was the selection that bumped it down my list

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom