Providence | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Providence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
I have no problem with Cooley going to Georgetown. I just think the league should have had him resign the last month since it was basically a done deal and he could of coached against Georgetown in the conference tournament. I don’t blame him for wanting to coach his current team - he might have felt an obligation to his players to do so.

But someone, seeing the big picture from above, should have stepped in and ordered it.
Bad bad bad look for Big East Execs and for that matter too Presidents of Big East schools for allowing this drama to play out the way it did...Poaching a coach from your own conference? in the middle of the season? or towards the end of the season?...BAD precedent..If GTOWN wanted him so badly, they should have waited til the end of the season..Not to let PC know what their intentions were is piss poor..Does not speak well for the ethics of GTOWN...But this is a cut throat business ( I guess )

Poaching a coach is one thing but if BE lets Cooley raid his old roster and take a few chosen ones to GTOWN with him, it's a whole different level...Seriously bad precedent to allow...

Where are the heads of these "fine" academic institutions???? Oh right I forget, a good Gtown program is really good for the BE...

Reaction Score
Read my full post, I said he should have resigned or been asked to resign a month before the season ended.
You said the league should have saved him from himself and order him. So much for personal accountability. Bottom line - it’s a slimy move. Much worse than the Edsall move

Reaction Score
You said the league should have saved him from himself and order him. So much for personal accountability. Bottom line - it’s a slimy move. Much worse than the Edsall move
Yes, if for whatever reason he doesn’t make the right decision that cuts to the heart of the integrity of the game. The League Commissioner and school Presidents should have told him to resign about a month before the season ended.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bad bad bad look for Big East Execs and for that matter too Presidents of Big East schools for allowing this drama to play out the way it did...Poaching a coach from your own conference? in the middle of the season? or towards the end of the season?...BAD precedent..If GTOWN wanted him so badly, they should have waited til the end of the season..Not to let PC know what their intentions were is piss poor..Does not speak well for the ethics of GTOWN...But this is a cut throat business ( I guess )

Poaching a coach is one thing but if BE lets Cooley raid his old roster and take a few chosen ones to GTOWN with him, it's a whole different level...Seriously bad precedent to allow...

Where are the heads of these "fine" academic institutions???? Oh right I forget, a good Gtown program is really good for the BE...
And remember these are religious based institutions.

Reaction Score

I will say it again under these circumstances, PC playing Georgetown in The Big East Tournament would have broken every ethical standard the integrity of the game is based on.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I wasn't a Cooley fan but I had respect for him for what I had seen him do while at Fairfield and PC
Now I classify him as a slime ball and hope that he and Gtown sink into the abyss
Shame on Gtown and Cooley - classless acts on both sides.
Cooley. Pitino and the jerk Sean Miller in the NBE - not a good look at all
Tampering in college hoops - wow

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Seems like he would fit the profile….dogging a guy who did exactly what most everyone else would do. Increase his salary 40% for the same job, and if he does at Gtown what he did at PC…..Can you imagine a big East with Georgetown and St Johns and UConn all good at the same time. These coaching moves especially if PC gets a name brand make the Big East better if history teaches us anything. I am old enough to hate St John for the way they always beat us. Remember Walter Berry or Mark Jackson. It’s going to be like the 80’s and 90’s in the next couple years. Minus Syracuse. Remember Alonzo trying to intimidate Henefeld during the dream season. I remember hating Gtown and St Johns but I am old enough to have played agaisnt Corny Thompson in high school.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
He's fine doing his thing right now
But I'm sure he'd appreciate your thought and generous offer
Mojo changed after we paid the man his money. That was such a bad move by the UConn prez and AD. He got $11m. Imagine there was another $10m in legal expenses as I am fairly certain legal fees were part of the settlement. Maybe at business lawyer could offer context. But this type of legal matter I don’t think is like the usual 33% cut the lawyer gets in a personal injury lawsuit. I could be wrong. Maybe Ollie’s lawyers got 33% of the $11m. St Johns will also lose and if they drag it out like UConn did Pitino will be 74 before the bad mojo goes away.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Bobby Hurley is serious candidate for Providence. Yahoo news. Please someone in the know tell me that ain’t true. I just hate to think that twice a year UConn v. PC will now be a family thing. Who would Senior Hurley root for….

Reaction Score
The fascinating thing for me in all this is.....

Cooley being such a dick has a lot of us feeling for them. Not pity or feeling bad, but like we outright acknowledge and hate the screw job he just laid on them. Old school Big East respect.

And on their board? Lots of them want us to kill Georgetown next year.

Best Friends Bff GIF by reactionseditor
correct. They even appreciate the fact that we Husky fans are sticking up for them. Take a look at both pages, it's a quick 5-10 minutes read. Remember those HighLights children's magazine where they would ask you, the reader, to find a certain object in the picture? See if you can spot my post, LOL (it's very obvious).

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

@FriarJ you promised we’d be surprised by who you guys would be able to get as a replacement. You most think our opinion of you guys is really low. We all thought you guys could get a guy who’s been a mediocre mid major coach for two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom