Providence | The Boneyard

Providence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Cooley thread has grown too large to be remotely navigable.

Just an apocalyptic day for Providence. Losing the home town coach they’d never thought they would lose….and they lost him to a conference mate which just etches in stone where they stand on the food chain. Oh, and he trashed the end of the season on his way out the door - the signatures on the documents to sell his house are weeks old.

Now, the players are starting to scatter.

Bynum is in the portal. They have three 2023 recruits from one high school in Cali and the best of them has decommitted already. I imagine the other two, plus the 2024 kid from Worcester are next.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I would take Bynum as a role player next year

Reaction Score
5 years ago, I'd say this was a death knell. In the era of the portal, the right hire is more important than ever. You can turn things around in a year or two with the transfer portal the way it is.
But what does “turn around” mean for PC? Where Cooley had em? This is a death knell in the sense that it reminds them of who they’ll always be.

Reaction Score
The Cooley thread has grown too large to be remotely navigable.

Just an apocalyptic day for Providence. Losing the home town coach they’d never thought they would lose….and they lost him to a conference mate which just etches in stone where they stand on the food chain. Oh, and he trashed the end of the season on his way out the door - the signatures on the documents to sell his house are weeks old.

Now, the players are starting to scatter.

Bynum is in the portal. They have three 2023 recruits from one high school in Cali and the best of them has decommitted already. I imagine the other two, plus the 2024 kid from Worcester are next.
Considering what Mulready said when he committed to PC he's definitely a goner. "Someone I can trust." Ooph.

“I see Coach Cooley as an amazing coach, which is why he won the coach of the year award last year,” said Mulready/ “But I also look at him as family, someone I can trust as a player and somebody I know will take care of me on and off the court. He’s been recruiting me consistently for months and we’ve built a very strong relationship with each other. The rest of the coaching staff are wonderful, great hospitality, and they’re all joined in as a whole; no loose strings. Their recovery program is very advanced, as well as their trainer; he takes care of the players. The strength and condition coach is amazing, he knows exactly what everybody needs for their bodies and knows exactly how to get it done. It’s a great coincidence that it’s not too far from home. Lastly, the fans and supporters go crazy for this program; many people can agree.”

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The players knew weeks before the season end and was the probable reason for the significant downturn in their play! Well I guess this is part of their education to understand the business of professional sports

Reaction Score
Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Reaction Score
I wonder if Carter and Hopkins are scratching their heads? They both used up their 1 freebie of transfering.

Reaction Score
The players knew weeks before the season end and was the probable reason for the significant downturn in their play! Well I guess this is part of their education to understand the business of professional sports
Source?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Source?
Watched them play.

Best chance for PC is a good hire who can steal some other team's players and recruits and allow them to win enough to recruit well the next year. Pitt somehow came back to life after being further in the dumpster than this.

Reaction Score
Even with portal it’s gonna be a gauntlet to get through big East for whomever has courage to take this on. Pitino and Cooley are gonna take two dormant programs and make them better, Miller gonna continue to make X competitive year in and year out. They are gonna struggle to stay ahead of Butler and Depaul.

Reaction Score
Pitt somehow came back to life after being further in the dumpster than this.
They came back because the ACC was horrendous...and even in that, they played a very easy schedule.

291 Louisville x2
164 Georgia Tech x3
120 Syracuse x2
208 Florida State x2
173 Boston College
166 Notre Dame

That's 11 games against sub-100 teams in conference (they went 11-2).

That means they were 12-10 against the rest of their schedule. Considering who else is on it, it wasn't super impressive.

Point being...there isn't anywhere for a coach in the Big East to hide. There are going to be a number of good, well-coached teams, and you're getting them in two regular season games. I think it's a lot harder to turn it around.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
They came back because the ACC was horrendous...and even in that, they played a very easy schedule.

291 Louisville x2
164 Georgia Tech x3
120 Syracuse x2
208 Florida State x2
173 Boston College
166 Notre Dame

That's 11 games against sub-100 teams in conference (they went 11-2).

That means they were 12-10 against the non-bottom feeders of the league.

Point being...there isn't anywhere for a coach in the Big East to hide. There are going to be a number of good, well-coached teams, and you're getting them in two regular season games. I think it's a lot harder to turn it around.
Thank god we passed on Jeff Capel.

Reaction Score
Thank god we passed on Jeff Capel.
He's absolutely going to get an extension, and as the ACC rights itself—you have to figure Virginia gets back to normal, and Syracuse and Louisville will turn it around—he's going to go back to doing what he did in his first years at Pitt...having the 97th or worst best team by Kenpom 4 straight years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom