Premium Ways the B12 Can Die in a Fire Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Premium Ways the B12 Can Die in a Fire Thread

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would enjoy it if one of the presidents said "thanks for basically wasting all our time. Die in a fire." But no one wants to burn any future bridges.

Chuck Carlton said as much in a Tweet. Basically said Big12 has no stroke in pulling votes from anyone. Full bore inbreeding ahead for that conference. No influence.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs: A Big 12 Circus Freak Show

So a giant state corporation, one that has received some substantial tax breaks, essentially has been working against the state flagship university in conference expansion. Business is business and this doesn't make ESPN the devil. Yet any attempts to paint itself as Switzerland are also disingenuous. ESPN has plenty of clout. Look, a corporation lives where it lives. And if UConn fans want to be angry at the Worldwide Leader of Bristol, I say anger away. The locals have every right to make ESPN squirm.

This wasn't the intent when the NCAA Division I board of directors voted in 2014 to allow the five conferences to write their own rules, like cost-of-attendance stipends, recruiting, etc. The intent was to allow the schools with the resources to use them so they wouldn't bolt yet to keep Division I together by allowing the smaller schools to afford it. The rule helped Texas and Oklahoma. The rule helped Hartford and Quinnipiac. The unintended consequence is the rule kicks the hell out of UConn and Cincinnati and Houston. Autonomy didn't address the schools that had the budget to run with the Power Five in 2014 and won't have it in 2024. Does the NCAA have the courage to re-address this massive problem?

"How do we find the mid-line?" Benedict said. "Right now there isn't one. For the programs not a part of the Power Five that have the desire to compete at that level and have the potential to produce similar revenues, it's certainly a conversation that needs to be had."

"There is a lot of thinking and planning to do," Herbst said. "This is not our ideal world. We're trying to keep ourselves as strong as those schools. We already feel we're Power Five and it's odd that we're not in that group given we have all their attributes.

"The landscape has changed so much in the past five years. I bet there is more fluidity to come."

Just don't flow back to the Big 12. They're clowns, rich clowns, but still clowns.

Reaction Score

So a giant state corporation, one that has received some substantial tax breaks, essentially has been working against the state flagship university in conference expansion. Business is business and this doesn't make ESPN the devil. Yet any attempts to paint itself as Switzerland are also disingenuous. ESPN has plenty of clout. Look, a corporation lives where it lives. And if UConn fans want to be angry at the Worldwide Leader of Bristol, I say anger away. The locals have every right to make ESPN squirm.

This wasn't the intent when the NCAA Division I board of directors voted in 2014 to allow the five conferences to write their own rules, like cost-of-attendance stipends, recruiting, etc. The intent was to allow the schools with the resources to use them so they wouldn't bolt yet to keep Division I together by allowing the smaller schools to afford it. The rule helped Texas and Oklahoma. The rule helped Hartford and Quinnipiac. The unintended consequence is the rule kicks the hell out of UConn and Cincinnati and Houston. Autonomy didn't address the schools that had the budget to run with the Power Five in 2014 and won't have it in 2024. Does the NCAA have the courage to re-address this massive problem?

"How do we find the mid-line?" Benedict said. "Right now there isn't one. For the programs not a part of the Power Five that have the desire to compete at that level and have the potential to produce similar revenues, it's certainly a conversation that needs to be had."

"There is a lot of thinking and planning to do," Herbst said. "This is not our ideal world. We're trying to keep ourselves as strong as those schools. We already feel we're Power Five and it's odd that we're not in that group given we have all their attributes.

"The landscape has changed so much in the past five years. I bet there is more fluidity to come."

Just don't flow back to the Big 12. They're clowns, rich clowns, but still clowns.
You know, next month will be 4 years since the ACC took Louisville over us and now he is writing about the "sad road to eventually irrelevance?"

I mean really Jeff, this wasn't obvious years ago. My feelings aren't the least bit hurt as fan over the Big 12 dog and pony show. My feelings were hurt in 2012, I would love to see what our presentation to the ACC looked like then, we've clearly learned since then, but that was the most logical fit out of all of them.

Now I'm hoping Tim Brando is right and Notre Dame joins the ACC and we tag along.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but I think we'll always be a bridesmaid. Everybody talks us up, but they never come clean. So much BS. We should start talking to the best of what's left and develop iour iwn power conference.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You know, next month will be 4 years since the ACC took Louisville over us and now he is writing about the "sad road to eventually irrelevance?"

I mean really Jeff, this wasn't obvious years ago. My feelings aren't the least bit hurt as fan over the Big 12 dog and pony show. My feelings were hurt in 2012, I would love to see what our presentation to the ACC looked like then, we've clearly learned since then, but that was the most logical fit out of all of them.

Now I'm hoping Tim Brando is right and Notre Dame joins the ACC and we tag along.
The time to panic was when Warde was sipping pina coladas.* We were dead in the water then, the B12 was just a fantasy to kill time with. The real losers there are Houston and Cincy, one of whom built a new football stadium and the other who renovated/expanded for millions.

*Hypothetical. It was do or die then, I don't really care at this point if no one was to blame. As Yoda said, there is no try.

Reaction Score

Tim Brando is a great X's and O's football guy, but if you tie your P5 hopes to what he's saying you're in for a major disappointment.

Reaction Score

"there have been reports that the reason the Big12 backed off expansion is that the television powers are paying the conference NOT to expand."

Do you believe this, Jeff? You throw this out there as a possibility but nothing more. Tell me when it's known what the deal is between ESPN/Fox and the Big12 NOT to expand that the Big12 are still a bunch of clowns.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
We should start talking to the best of what's left and develop iour iwn power conference.

Every team that wants to be, is already in a conference. Some make more, but most make less than the AAC. What differentiates the Power Conferences from the rest is not member institutions. You cannot "develop iour iwn[sic]" power conference without a lot of help. Only one power conference has their seat at the table based on the attributes of most of their membership roster and that's the Big Ten. The PAC 12 is there because of location. The Big XII and ACC have it based on two the strength of two schools.

No. The differentiation is money and the perception of who deserves it. Right now, there is not enough money to go around and the sources are limited from where it comes. Of course, this is in the current distribution model.

Distribution is ever evolving and, going forward, very likely to change. There are indications all over the place (i.e. broadcasting over Twitter, Periscope, etc.). Their is limited interest/ability now, but Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu all (not only distribute, but) produce original content available for about $100/year and is all on demand. I have little doubt that at least one of them continues to look into the feasibility of live sports. EDIT: Hulu (I regret to discover) is owned by Fox and Disney and is rumored to offer a college sports package next year.

The NFL teamed with Yahoo last year to be the sole distributor of a London game. I had 2 devices tuned in just for ha-has (Didn't really care for the teams playing, but at 9:00 in the morning, what else was on?) and there was little buffering or lag on either one. As Smart TV technology improves, it's only going to get better.

Let me be clear, UConn deserves a seat at the table, but in the coc-kamamie world of the NCAA and college football, deserve really has nothing to do with it.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Never really wanted Big 12 anyway. The Civil ConFLiCT has many years left to be written!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom