Premium Ways the B12 Can Die in a Fire Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Premium Ways the B12 Can Die in a Fire Thread

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but I think we'll always be a bridesmaid. Everybody talks us up, but they never come clean. So much BS. We should start talking to the best of what's left and develop iour iwn power conference.
With blackjack! And hookers! In fact, forget the power conference!

Reaction Score
Every team that wants to be, is already in a conference. Some make more, but most make less than the AAC. What differentiates the Power Conferences from the rest is not member institutions. You cannot "develop iour iwn[sic]" power conference without a lot of help. Only one power conference has their seat at the table based on the attributes of most of their membership roster and that's the Big Ten. The PAC 12 is there because of location. The Big XII and ACC have it based on two the strength of two schools.

No. The differentiation is money and the perception of who deserves it. Right now, there is not enough money to go around and the sources are limited from where it comes. Of course, this is in the current distribution model.

Distribution is ever evolving and, going forward, very likely to change. There are indications all over the place (i.e. broadcasting over Twitter, Periscope, etc.). Their is limited interest/ability now, but Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu all (not only distribute, but) produce original content available for about $100/year and is all on demand. I have little doubt that at least one of them continues to look into the feasibility of live sports. EDIT: Hulu (I regret to discover) is owned by Fox and Disney and is rumored to offer a college sports package next year.

The NFL teamed with Yahoo last year to be the sole distributor of a London game. I had 2 devices tuned in just for ha-has (Didn't really care for the teams playing, but at 9:00 in the morning, what else was on?) and there was little buffering or lag on either one. As Smart TV technology improves, it's only going to get better.

Let me be clear, UConn deserves a seat at the table, but in the coc-kamamie world of the NCAA and college football, deserve really has nothing to do with it.
But there will be more bargaining power/money available with a stronger conference.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The only positive thing to come out of this debacle is that Memphis fans finally learned exactly where the stand in relation to everyone else in this process:
The Big 12 couldn't even pretend they wanted Memphis.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
But there will be more bargaining power/money available with a stronger conference.

Did you even read my post? I ask because it certainly appears you didn't get the concept.

Oh and I mispoke. UMass is Independent but probably wants to get into a conference.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The only positive thing to come out of this debacle is that Memphis fans finally learned exactly where the stand in relation to everyone else in this process:
The Big 12 couldn't even pretend they wanted Memphis.

The problem is, Memphis fans didn't learn that. (A joke could be made here about their capacity for learning.) As recently as yesterday they were still tweeting that they expected the Big XII to announce them and Cincy as members at the press conference.

Reaction Score
Tim Brando is a great X's and O's football guy, but if you tie your P5 hopes to what he's saying you're in for a major disappointment.
Well, what do you got?

Reaction Score

(answer: playoff expansion)

Interesting read. If they expand the playoffs with conference tie-ins, you'd have to provide 1 for the G5 leagues.

Like it or not, the G5 rep has done pretty well from the AAC.

The NY6 bids would be even further marginalized.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Interesting read. If they expand the playoffs with conference tie-ins, you'd have to provide 1 for the G5 leagues.

Like it or not, the G5 rep has done pretty well from the AAC.

The NY6 bids would be even further marginalized.
The NY6 bowls should also die in a fire. Fealty to bowl committees is one of the main reasons why the P5 was formed, to preserve traditional bowl matches with large traveling fan bases.

Reaction Score
Well, what do you got?

I got a history of Tim Brando not knowing what the hell he's talking about in terms of CR to fall back on, but in terms of P5 optimism, not much.

Our best path to the P5 in the near future (near being anywhere between 5-10 years) lays in a combination of:

1) Continuing to improve academically to the point of achieving AAU status.

2) Winning more and more football games every season.

Longterm the only way to stay on the P5 radar is to achieve 1 & 2 and figure out a way to scratch out enough new revenue to keep our athletic department running at a P5 level. The state subsidy isn't going to continue at it's current level (though it won't dry up completely), as far as I can tell we can try to:

1) Go all in on building a SEC-level booster network around our men's and women's bball programs (and to a lesser extent Football and eventually Hockey). Coming from Auburn I think Benedict can actually get that done.

2) Somehow free up our T3 media rights. Not so easy.

So, yeah, no easy solutions.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I got a history of Tim Brando not knowing what the hell he's talking about in terms of CR to fall back on, but in terms of P5 optimism, not much.

Our best path to the P5 in the near future (near being anywhere between 5-10 years) lays in a combination of:

1) Continuing to improve academically to the point of achieving AAU status.

2) Winning more and more football games every season.

Longterm the only way to stay on the P5 radar is to achieve 1 & 2 and figure out a way to scratch out enough new revenue to keep our athletic department running at a P5 level. The state subsidy isn't going to continue at it's current level (though it won't dry up completely), as far as I can tell we can try to:

1) Go all in on building a SEC-level booster network around our men's and women's bball programs (and to a lesser extent Football and eventually Hockey). Coming from Auburn I think Benedict can actually get that done.

2) Somehow free up our T3 media rights. Not so easy.

So, yeah, no easy solutions.

What state subsidy is everyone always talking about? There is a subsidy from students, but (and maybe this isn't obvious to everyone?) students are not the state.

Reaction Score
What state subsidy is everyone always talking about? There is a subsidy from students, but (and maybe this isn't obvious to everyone?) students are not the state.

Sorry, I phrased that incorrectly/poorly. What I meant was state funding. Over the last half decade the state has pumped more and more money into UConn to eliminate the deficits it's running, which in turn has made it possible to increase student fees to the level of our current athletic subsidy.

Without the state funding, you aren't going to see the student fee subsidy continue at the level it is at the moment.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I have to say that I really like Aresco. I'm glad he's pushing the P6 message, and quite frankly, there isn't much reason why he shouldn't. Our football conference has been very good, and the rest of our sports have absolutely performed up to any "P5" metric.

Hopefully he can continue to deliver on that message, and hopefully the message translates into tv contract dollars...

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

I don't even have to listen...probably gonna go something like this:

"Hey Mike, do you think Florida State takes a look at the Big12 now? And what about UMass, I think they'd be a great fit in the AAC."

"Dennis, great job. You dodged a bullet, definitely don't want to add UConn."

"Berry, great talking to you. You had the scoop all along. Let's talk about how much more valuable OSU and ISU are then UConn. And the way Tech carries the Lubbock market...it's really very impressive."

"Rand, I'm not sure who you are...I don't do any research before these calls and until we speak 3 or 4 times I won't remember you. Let's take a look at the traffic and weather together."

"Pete, what's good. Did you know I went to URI. Nice basketball facility they have there. Think they'd be a good fit in the AAC?"

Reaction Score

images

Reaction Score
We should be thanking the Big 12. We benefited the most from this drama. Now our ship is aiming at the ACC or the Big Ten.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not for nothing but did anyone actually believe when numerous schools were added and the announcements always said 'unanimous vote' that the votes really were 'unanimous?

Reaction Score
Not for nothing but did anyone actually believe when numerous schools were added and the announcements always said 'unanimous vote' that the votes really were 'unanimous?
It's kind-of just semantics, but the votes (to add schools to the ACC, etc. and to not add schools to the B12) were unanimous. You can't lie about that in your minutes. Certain schools didn't agree, but they voted to make it unanimous anyway. They didn't have to vote that way. Supreme Court justices dissent all the time to make a statement, while sometimes they will follow the majority to make a statement as well . The Presidents have to vote in the best interest of their school. They either felt a unanimous vote was in their school's best interest or they had no backbone (or both).

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The preliminary votes are generally not unanimous (think Duke, UNC, Virginia supporting us over Louisville). Schools dissent. Bargaining takes place. Once a super majority is reached and it is apparent whatever school(s) has enough votes to be added, the dissenters cast their official vote in favor so the final vote can be unanimous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom