Premium Ways the B12 Can Die in a Fire Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Premium Ways the B12 Can Die in a Fire Thread

Reaction Score
Guess who's speaking for who? Tramel: OU not anti-expansion; OU is anti-expansion candidates -- Also posted in Commentary thread.

>>“From Day One, expanding was OK if we replaced the teams we lost with teams of equal stature,” said an OU administrator Tuesday. “They are not out there.”

Brigham Young. Houston. Cincinnati. Connecticut. All have pluses and minuses. We can debate which candidates offer the best portfolios. We cannot debate that all have minuses.

Nebraska didn't have minuses. Texas A&M didn't have minuses. Colorado and Missouri didn't have minuses. All flagship universities in their states. All deep roots with fellow conference schools. All a decent (or better) amount of football tradition. All academically stout (all four members of the prestigious Association of American Universities).

“The teams we need have left,” another Big 12 administrator said Tuesday. “Whoever you add out there really devalues the whole conference. They don't add anything. Just to get 12? What's sacred about a number? Does that make you stable?”<<

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs 7m7 minutes ago
Breaking: @Big12Conference will not extend grant of rights no matter what in expansion. Ranking the candidates.
Big 12 expansion losing momentum: No grant of rights extension, ranking candidates

>>The Big 12 is not expected to extend its grant of rights -- the contract that essentially keeps the conference together -- no matter the outcome of expansion talks, CBS Sports has learned. Multiple sources through the expansion process have mentioned that, for Texas andOklahoma alone, it is difficult to find support to extend the grant of rights past its expiration in 2025. Those two schools are thought to have the most conference options when the 13-year, $2.6 billion media rights contract with ESPN and Fox expires in eight years. "Those grant of rights aren't going to be extended," an official at one of those schools told CBS Sports.<<

Reaction Score
Luke Manderfeld ‏@LukeManderfeld 1h 1 hour ago
Iowa State President Steven Leath to @iowastatedaily on Big 12: "I feel less likely that we’ll expand right now.” #Big12Expansion

This is obviously a turn from August when Leath seemed optimistic on expansion. #Big12Expansion

Added he can’t know for sure until he meets with the Big 12 presidents later this month but feels chances are “smaller." #Big12Expansion

Luke Manderfeld ‏@LukeManderfeld 11m 11 minutes ago
Leath: “[Oklahoma] has indicated less of a willingness to expand.” #Big12Expansion

Luke Manderfeld ‏@LukeManderfeld 8m 8 minutes ago
Luke Manderfeld Retweeted ISD Sports Desk
Here’s a quick story on Leath’s comments this morning. #Big12Expansion
Iowa State President Steven Leath says he feels Big 12 expansion "less likely"

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Gee, on the other hand, hasn’t wavered. He has supported expansion throughout. Word is, he supports BYU, Cincinnati, Connecticut and Tulane, although he wouldn’t comment when asked Monday. He did, however, respond to Iowa State president Steven Leath’s comment that expansion is “less likely.” Leath told the Iowa State Daily, “I think the chances we expand are a little smaller than it was before.”

“Of course, I was on the [expansion] committee,” Gee said. “We saw all the possibilities of expansion and the opportunities that exist. We also understand there are other variations that can take place too. I happen to be very enthusiastic about expansion, but I also understand it needs to make sense. We need to understand the opportunities and consequences, intended or unintended. I really don’t know if it’s likely or less likely. I think that will be determined by discussions we have on Monday.”

Reaction Score
image.jpeg

Reaction Score
Jason Williams ‏@jwilliamscincy · 18h18 hours ago
@johnnyn45 @alexbrowns19 Big 12 told me today post-mtg press conf will be at 6:30 EST on Monday. Start the countdown!

Context...

John Gettys ‏@johnnyn45 23h23 hours ago
@jwilliamscincy @alexbrowns19 what's your gut say about this press conference

Jason Williams ‏@jwilliamscincy 18h18 hours ago
@johnnyn45 @alexbrowns19 Gut says no go. I hope my gut is wrong (I also hope my gut gets smaller. haha)

Michael Shults ‏@michaelshults 18h18 hours ago
@jwilliamscincy @johnnyn45 @alexbrowns19 My gut agrees, but why hold press conference to say you're not doing anything?

Jason Williams ‏@jwilliamscincy 1h1 hour ago
@michaelshults It's standard for them to hold media availability after meeting like this. They'd do even if expansion wasn't a topic.

Reaction Score
SI College Football@si_ncaafb 28 mins ago
Sources indicate to @SIPeteThamel that Big 12 expansion appear unlikely. Story:
Sources: Big 12 expansion appears unlikely

>>While that’s not a definitive consensus, a new development with the league’s television partners has made not expanding the most likely scenario. Multiple sources indicated there have been discussions with the Big 12’s TV partners to pay the league not to expand. The purpose of the payment would be to eliminate the pro rata clause in the TV contract—which the TV officials consider a loophole—that enables the league to receive nearly $25 million annually for every school it adds. The willingness of ESPN and Fox to discuss paying to eliminate that clause and end future potential expansion drama in upcoming years makes not expanding the most likely conclusion.“If they put more money up and bought out that pro rata clause, we’ll likely keep ourselves at 10,” speculated a high-ranking Big 12 source.

While that’s not a definitive consensus, a new development with the league’s television partners has made not expanding the most likely scenario. Multiple sources indicated there have been discussions with the Big 12’s TV partners to pay the league not to expand. The purpose of the payment would be to eliminate the pro rata clause in the TV contract—which the TV officials consider a loophole—that enables the league to receive nearly $25 million annually for every school it adds. The willingness of ESPN and Fox to discuss paying to eliminate that clause and end future potential expansion drama in upcoming years makes not expanding the most likely conclusion.<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom