Prediction: Your score on the UConn vs Baylor game? Who wins it? | The Boneyard

Prediction: Your score on the UConn vs Baylor game? Who wins it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
it will go one of 3 ways IMHO. either...

1. UCONN is able to slow Brit or Simms, but not both and are hurt by Williams, Pope, or other Baylor players who step up. close Baylor win
  2. we are unable to stop Brit or Simms, our offense does not click, and Baylor wins by about 10
  3. UCONN's defense is too much and if our offense clicks we win by about 15. if we don't click, we win by about 5...
i'm not trying to be funny by saying basically anything can happen. But we've seen KML go 0-fer, and we've seen her light it up. which KML shows up? and that's just one variable...

i've watched Baylor several times now and was surprised at the amount of 1-1 play by them. i was a bit surprise by Mulkey's comments that intimated there may be chemistry issues with the team. and i don't know what to make of Williams or Pope. huge numbers one game, disappear the next. i think Baylor's biggest problem will be the lack of team offense. it all depends on whether they can get Brit untracked. she was barely visible vs. Tennessee till about 15 minutes left in the game.

i know Tony thinks we have the potential to win going away by 20. i predict a low scoring game for the first 10 minutes as the teams try to impose their wills defensively. i'm not that worried about this game surprisingly. i think most outside of UCONN expect Baylor to win. i honestly think we are much improved since Stanford. after the SHU game however, (and we all know UCONN can't play like that) and then Baylors performance for much of the SJU game, anything is possible. ultimately, i think UCONN wins...

UCONN 73, Baylor 69.

Reaction Score
Baylor 71-70. I think the two teams are very comparable in overall quality, but obviously with very different strengths and weaknesses. To win, we half to be successful in rattling them with the half-court trap. I think UConn is playing with incredible intensity and chemistry right now (forgetting about the Seton Hall game). That may be good enough to produce a win, but still Baylor is an awfully good team playing at home, so I have to give them a very slight edge.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Last week I said Baylor by 7, and I'm sticking with that.

I think Baylor will be really, really, really hungry for this win, knowing this will be by far their best shot to slay the UCONN dragon in the BG era, and for the forseeable future.

Baylor 69
UCONN 62

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Baylor 75, UConn 68

If these two teams get together again in April on a neutral court in the thin Denver air, it could easily be a different story.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
UConn by 8

My exact thought. As much as it pains me to say, I don't see the cohesiveness with Baylor right now that is needed to beat a really good GENO COACHED team.

I think that Baylor has the two best players in the country at their positions but that some of the players lack discipline in the offense. Baylor strays away from BG in long stretches and then tries to use her suddenly when the score gets tight. That just won't work against UCONN. I don't think that Mulkey is willing to say "Griner gets a touch every time down the court or you sit on the bench." And Griner needs more touches for Baylor to win.

Reaction Score
mannn.. if UConn wins sunday, what a statement that would be for everyone who thought they wouldn't be great this season, including myself

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Uconn 72 Baylor 59 UConns defense will set the stage and cause havoc. It will be a chess match and every move countered. This game will show how well put together this UConn team is. Their defense is the best Ive seen in a long time.

Reaction Score
69-61 Baylor.

This is essentially the same team UConn played two years ago in San Antonio. They were a very good team then, and they have added a premier point guard. Baylor also played well enough to win last year's game. Baylor still has not addressed their perimeter shooting issues, but it will not matter.
Of the top eight players out on the floor Sunday, only two will be taking orders from Kim Mulkey; Which demonstrates just how transcendently dominant Brittney Griner has become. With Brittney Griner anchoring the defense, Baylor can take chances defending out on the perimeter.
Jordan Madden will likely draw the assignment on Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and will stay home on dribble penetrations.
Kelly Faris will get a ton of open looks and can be the offensive star of the game for Connecticut if she is feeling it.
Baylor is a team that does not need a long shot clock to run through their offense. Late in the clock, they can put the ball in Sims's hands or dump it down low. should the ball go in low to Ms Griner late in the clock, a double team from the weak side forcing a pass or a highly contested shot should work effectively. The problem, though, is that it leaves a Baylor player unchecked on the boards. With that in mind, I do not expect UConn to get a lot of runouts and fast breaks off of missed shots.
Brooklyn Pope had a decent game against St. Johns. Prior to Sunday, I might have suggested sloughing off of her. Now, I am not so sure.
I expect that Baylor will isolate Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis as soon as she gets into the game and challenge her to play defense, possibly pick up a foul or two. They tried it unsuccessfully against Notre Dame. They probably will not abandon this strategy. Ms Mosqueda-Lewis should be fine.
Neither Tiffany Hayes nor Caroline Doty played particularly well in San Antonio. Seeing the ball swish through the hoop early in the game should remedy any confidence issues.
If UConn's outside game is not clicking on at least half its cylinders, this will be an ugly game. If UConn shoots at around 40% from the arc and keeps the game close, they can steal it.

Reaction Score
I like all the previous post and your thoughts, but UCONN is the best TEAM in WCBB today. I have been thinking about this game all year and I watched Baylor play 3 times this season and something is missing and will expose it very quickly on Sunday.......

UCONN 77 Baylor 58

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I like all the previous post and your thoughts, but UCONN is the best TEAM in WCBB today. I have been thinking about this game all year and I watched Baylor play 3 times this season and something is missing and will expose it very quickly on Sunday.......

UCONN 77 Baylor 58

UCONN beat Baylor by 20 points when they had Ms. Charles and Ms. Moore and BG and crew were freshmen without out PG Sims. They beat Baylor by 1 at home when Ms. Moore was a senior and BG and crew were at the beginning of their second year in college. If this prediction is accurate, this would mean that Mulkey has not only failed to progress the Baylor team, she will have taken them backwards, with more seasoned players and the addition of some top talent. Wouldn't that set the basketball world on its ear.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think Eric got it about right. Much depends on the stripes (as is generally the case in important games).

Reaction Score
UCONN blows a14 point lead but pulls it out at the end.
UCONN 68 - 63.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Two initial thoughts: (1) I'd trade a win in December for a win in April for sure; (2) how the game is called will be a big impact. Griner will not shoot 5-13 from the line again. We can't let her shoot 10+ FTs.

Two scenarios: (1) Nip and tuck, maybe one team takes a lead and the other comes back. Very winnable for UConn, but we come up just a little short, losing 61-58. (2) Geno's game plan is right on, the UConn kids play swarming defense, and Kaleena makes everything, demonstrating that she is the best player on the floor. UConn 70-55.

I prefer the second; my "official" prediction is the first. For months, I've been concerned about only 2 regular season games--at Waco and at South Bend.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I still think this is Baylor's year. Next year is a whole different story, however. I do hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
I respet Baylor a great deal but I truly believe UConn is the better team. Nevertheless with all the possibilities in an individual game and with home territory favoring Baylor I expect a close battle again where UConn wins by a few points. Our kids make us proud.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Both teams have a good deal to prove to themselves and each other.

If there is no "home cooking" by the officials, Uconn in a battle 73-68.

Reaction Score
80-67...UConn wins! And if the unthinkable (in my mind at least) happens and BU wins, the sun will likely still come up on Monday morning. And, IF BU wins, it will be by 3 points or less

Reaction Score
I hate to say this, Baylor, 67-61. As someone else suggested, I see the first 10 minutes as a defensive war, and the low score during that period will keep the final score down. UConn will do its fantastic defensive job, as usual, but I still think that Griner has the size and wingspan to stop several UConn weapons. I sure hope that's not the case, but that's how it looks from here.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
UCONN beat Baylor by 20 points when they had Ms. Charles and Ms. Moore and BG and crew were freshmen without out PG Sims. They beat Baylor by 1 at home when Ms. Moore was a senior and BG and crew were at the beginning of their second year in college. If this prediction is accurate, this would mean that Mulkey has not only failed to progress the Baylor team, she will have taken them backwards, with more seasoned players and the addition of some top talent. (or Geno's team improved even without Maya Moore, remember he is the best coach in WCBB. Seasoned doesnt mean they are better than a frosh. KML would be the 2nd best player on Baylor's roster right now) Wouldn't that set the basketball world on its ear.

Its all about the pieces that you have and how you use them.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
68-62 Baylor... Im not going to get into the refs blah blah blah!

UConn won at home last year sooooo was there home-cooking or is UConn the only team in WCBB that doesnt get home-cooking?

I will not be surprised if UConn won by the same score if they can overcome the home court advantage that Baylor has. The crowd will be pumped for this one.

an make no mistake about, the UConn players or use to hostile arenas and KML isnt your average frosh

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The biggest challenge for UCONN is this is the first road trip of the year and there is no telling how a young team will handle that. However, all the AAU travel likely helps this today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom