Prediction: Your score on the UConn vs Baylor game? Who wins it? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Prediction: Your score on the UConn vs Baylor game? Who wins it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Huskies 77 - Lady Bears 65. UConn's 77 factors in and includes a 5 point deduction for Baylor's home court advantage. Wouldn't be surprised by a 20+ point win!

I anticipate Bria, CD and Silk (KML) will put on a 'shock & awe' shooting clinic. UConn will apply a defensive vice on Sims. Geno will be quick to substitute and go big, bringing in Heather and Kiah early. Heather gives up 5 inches, but has a wider, stronger frame than BG and will have success moving her base out of the paint. Kiah has a huge wingspan that BG may have some trouble defending without fouling. With one of them occupying BG's defensive attention, that would leave Stef guarded by one of Baylor's 4's and that's a mismatch we'll take all day. I expect Tiff to purposely take drives at BG looking to pick up a foul or two as she did last year with success. Tiff seems to relish physicality with a purpose.

Baylor will have trouble playing 40 unrelenting minutes and/or playing from behind against UConn. :)

What success? Tiffany Hayes was 5-20 in last year's game, 1-7 the year before. And only one of Ms Griner's four fouls in last year's game came as a result of a Tiffany Hayes drive to the hoop.

Reaction Score
How did this bit get added to my comment, as if I had made the comment? That was not part of my post so please don't add it in the middle as if you are quoting me directly.

"(or Geno's team improved even without Maya Moore, remember he is the best coach in WCBB. Seasoned doesnt mean they are better than a frosh. KML would be the 2nd best player on Baylor's roster right now)"

What's the problem here? Not only did the responding poster change the text color of his comments, they were placed in parentheses. Relax! Not only would the actions about which you accuse the poster be totally classless, bush-league, and inappropriate, it probably is not allowed here and would not be tolerated in any case.
As Chuck McCann used to say, Let's have fun.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
What's the problem here? Not only did the responding poster change the text color of his comments, they were placed in parentheses. Relax! Not only would the actions about which you accuse the poster be totally classless, bush-league, and inappropriate, it probably is not allowed here and would not be tolerated in any case.
As Chuck McCann used to say, Let's have fun.

Dude, you're way behind...read my last post on this item...it's done and over with. I'm back to talking basketball.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Replicant said: I expect Tiff to purposely take drives at BG looking to pick up a foul or two as she did last year with success.

VAUConnFan - The server wouldn't allow me to reply in the normal fashion, so I've cut and pasted your comments:

VAUConnFan said: "What success? Tiffany Hayes was 5-20 in last year's game, 1-7 the year before. And only one of Ms Griner's four fouls in last year's game came as a result of a Tiffany Hayes drive to the hoop."

My post spoke nothing of Tiff's point production. It simply addressed her and Geno's strategy to attack BG and draw fouls. So now you've forced me to do actual work - go to the archives and see whether I was crazy!

National Semi-Final...4/4/10 - At just 1:16 into the 1st half, Tiff takes it directly at BG on a driving lay-up and sends a message. Actually looked like she was more intent on going at BG and drawing the foul than actually making the lay-up. Misses the lay-up, but is fouled by BG and makes 1 of 2 FTs. BG remains foul-free until the 2nd half, picking up #2 against Maya at the 6:39 mark, and #3 against Tina at the 4:24 mark to end the game with 3 PFs.

11/16/10 - UConn takes it at BG again as a strategy. BG fouls Tiff at the 10:45 mark of the 1st half for her 1st PF. BG fouls Tiff at the 12:40 mark of the 2nd half for her 2nd PF. Maya drives on BG at 6:42 mark of 2nd half making lay-up + FT for BG's 3rd PF. Bria drives on BG at 2:24 mark of 2nd half making lay-up + FT for BG's 4th PF.

BG commits 7 PFs in her only 2 games against UConn and Tiff is responsible for 3 of them! That is why I think it's a strategy that Tiff embraces and has been successful with! :)

Reaction Score
I personally think that it's going to be a low scoring game, at least for Baylor. I don't think a lot of people really know how devastating UConn's defense is. There is no one who is quite prepared for the intensity that they invoke on their opponents. All the talk has been about Griner and (deservedly) her defensive prowess. I think UConn is going to almost totally stifle Baylor offensively. There will be an occasional breakdown but it'll be minimal and I think Baylor will be totally discombobulated by the midpoint of the first half. No one talks about how UConn was crushing, I repeat crushing Baylor last year until foul issues turned the game inside out. If they let the teams play, I think UConn will win handily. Someone mentioned that Baylor's two superstars were only entering the start of their first and second year respectively (Sims & Griner) last year while UConn had Maya. I concede that any team with Maya would be impressive but UConn was without Doty and outside of Maya, most of their team was composed of freshmen. These kids now have a year behind them and some impressive incoming talent to help their depth issues. Why would it be hard to imagine them beating Baylor????? If they allow a little inside play without calling picayune foul calls, it could be a long long night for Baylor. I'm predicting a 66-55 UConn win.

Reaction Score
Replicant said: I expect Tiff to purposely take drives at BG looking to pick up a foul or two as she did last year with success.

VAUConnFan - The server wouldn't allow me to reply in the normal fashion, so I've cut and pasted your comments:

VAUConnFan said: "What success? Tiffany Hayes was 5-20 in last year's game, 1-7 the year before. And only one of Ms Griner's four fouls in last year's game came as a result of a Tiffany Hayes drive to the hoop."

My post spoke nothing of Tiff's point production. It simply addressed her and Geno's strategy to attack BG and draw fouls. So now you've forced me to do actual work - go to the archives and see whether I was crazy!

National Semi-Final...4/4/10 - At just 1:16 into the 1st half, Tiff takes it directly at BG on a driving lay-up and sends a message. Actually looked like she was more intent on going at BG and drawing the foul than actually making the lay-up. Misses the lay-up, but is fouled by BG and makes 1 of 2 FTs. BG remains foul-free until the 2nd half, picking up #2 against Maya at the 6:39 mark, and #3 against Tina at the 4:24 mark to end the game with 3 PFs.

11/16/10 - UConn takes it at BG again as a strategy. BG fouls Tiff at the 10:45 mark of the 1st half for her 1st PF. BG fouls Tiff at the 12:40 mark of the 2nd half for her 2nd PF. Maya drives on BG at 6:42 mark of 2nd half making lay-up + FT for BG's 3rd PF. Bria drives on BG at 2:24 mark of 2nd half making lay-up + FT for BG's 4th PF.

BG commits 7 PFs in her only 2 games against UConn and Tiff is responsible for 3 of them! That is why I think it's a strategy that Tiff embraces and has been successful with! :)

You specifically said "last year with success", so it is that game and the inaccuracies posted about that game to which I will respond:
Brittney Griner's foul at the 10:45 mark in the first half was for bodying Bria Hartley under the basket on the left side; That call was made by Eric Brewton.
Brittney Griner's fourth foul, late in the game, was an offensive foul call for pushing off on Heather Buck in the post; The call was made by Dee Kantner; A major turning point.

Our respective definitions of strategical success differ on this point. Creating two fouls against Brittney Griner in two games while going 6-28 does not meet my threshhold. However, it does not necessarily mean that it is a strategy that should not be revisited.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I agree... take it in and see what happens, its gonna be either a foul, charge, block, basket or miss!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think UConn is the better all-around team; but I don't see how we can beat Griner this year. I'll be very curious to see if Geno has this psyched out. If we play with great intensity, and swarm magnificently, we could win. UCONN by 5 in double OT.

Unfortunately there is a concert and a holiday party during the game, which has me seriously bummed. I can't get out of it...

Reaction Score
UCONN 71-58. Huskies apply extreme pressure on Simms, holding her to 8 points. No open 3's for her. While BG gets points, it not enough to overcome husky transition , and treys.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You specifically said "last year with success", so it is that game and the inaccuracies posted about that game to which I will respond:
Brittney Griner's foul at the 10:45 mark in the first half was for bodying Bria Hartley under the basket on the left side; That call was made by Eric Brewton.
Brittney Griner's fourth foul, late in the game, was an offensive foul call for pushing off on Heather Buck in the post; The call was made by Dee Kantner; A major turning point.

Our respective definitions of strategical success differ on this point. Creating two fouls against Brittney Griner in two games while going 6-28 does not meet my threshhold. However, it does not necessarily mean that it is a strategy that should not be revisited.

Griner is much smarter with her fouls this year, so far. That is not to say that she cannot get into foul trouble against UCONN. She has 15 fouls in 10 games while averaging 30 minutes per game. She had 2 fouls in 40 minutes against ND and 3 fouls against Tenn in 40 minutes. This is not the same young sophomore that was on the court at the beginning of last year. This is a player that has matured and has had international experience. It is really hard to compare her foul tendencies from last year to this year. If I am not mistaken, she has fouled out of one game in her career.

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
I just had a wierd feeling about this game.....so

Baylor 85 UCONN 66

I still maintain no team can beat UCONN by 20 points and my score reflects it. Coupled with the bad burrito I ate, here's my reason...

Remember first half of Championship game againt Stanford? I feel this is the game where everyone goes cold for a while(Tiffany, Steph and Doty). KML and Bria score the vast majority of our points(80%). Only here Baylor will not struggle to score. The front court of Baylor is going to wreck havoc on us down low. We can all agree Steph will be busy with Griner. Now if Kelly is assigned to Sims, who matches up with Pope and Williams? You can bring Stokes or Buck in, but now you have to take a scoring threat of the floor.

This is a big game for both teams, but alot bigger for Baylor. They're ranked #1. The best program in WCBB playing in their area. They finally have the best player in the country on their team not UCONN. Also, trying to convince Texas prospects Baylor is just as good or better than UCONN, so you can stay in state and win championships(like in 2005).

Now, if the pepto bismol kicks in in time, I'll tell you about the 20 point blow in UCONN's favor. ;)

Reaction Score
Waco proves too much for the Huskies in a tight ballgame. I think Stef gets in early foul trouble and Baylor pulls away with FTs in the end. Baylor by 7.

I also don't think Uconn loses to the same team twice, so if Baylor wins I would hate to face us in the tourney if I were them.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Waco proves too much for the Huskies in a tight ballgame. I think Stef gets in early foul trouble and Baylor pulls away with FTs in the end. Baylor by 7.

I also don't think Uconn loses to the same team twice, so if Baylor wins I would hate to face us in the tourney if I were them.
well done... a few people on point in this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline