Precious to Memphis | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Precious to Memphis

Reaction Score
This will be one of the "surprises" we were promised in February.
Have we landed Any guys we’ve been involved with for a long time AND had the drivers seat in since Jalen? Precious Diallo even young man from TX cheesin with mek and mo.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The FBI is sending parents to jail for bribing a college choice for their kids, using the charge of "mail fraud". The same logic applies to bribing a high school basketball player's college choice. And we know the FBI is looking into these arrangements. It is only a matter of time before the "sugar daddies" start getting prosecuted for mail fraud.

So why would anyone want to become a sugar daddy? What's in it for the daddy?

Because we look the other way on sports in America if you're a top program.

Reaction Score
Memphis is playing the game that Duke and Kentucky get away with. The problem is they aren’t Duke or Kentucky. If they get caught cheating it’s over

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why everyone is assuming they paid players. They pick up the #1 recruit who is from Memphis (insert sarcastic surprise). Who wouldn’t want to play with the best player who will be a lottery pick. The pitch for Memphis is great. Play for an NBA star, with other future nba stars, in a conference that you can easily win, make it to the tournament an make a run at the final four and be a serious contender for a national champion. How is that not superior to Uconn’s pitch. “ oh well UConn is kinda close to your hometown I guess. We used to win national championships all the time. You could lead this team to greatness or it might show your downfalls of being unable to lead a team and tank your draft stock. Oh I forgot to mention that we just finished 9th in the AAC and were below .500... again. But hey we have 4 good players coming in so join them. Well Memphis has 4 better players coming in lol. Y’all crazy

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Never thought UConn had a ghost of a chance in the first place
Tom Bowen announces he is leaving Memphis CC as the AD on Tuesday - he's no fool - he has no interest in getting his name muddied
I understand the Penny allure to these kids but Memphis is a hairy armpit of a "city" and a great place for these kids to find crap to get into - we'll see
Its an amazing recruiting class but it does make one wonder
Best of luck to all these kids and looking forward to UConn facing them in 2019-2020 because most of them won't be around at Memphis CC in 2020-21

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I don’t understand why everyone is assuming they paid players. They pick up the #1 recruit who is from Memphis (insert sarcastic surprise). Who wouldn’t want to play with the best player who will be a lottery pick. The pitch for Memphis is great. Play for an NBA star, with other future nba stars, in a conference that you can easily win, make it to the tournament an make a run at the final four and be a serious contender for a national champion. How is that not superior to Uconn’s pitch. “ oh well UConn is kinda close to your hometown I guess. We used to win national championships all the time. You could lead this team to greatness or it might show your downfalls of being unable to lead a team and tank your draft stock. Oh I forgot to mention that we just finished 9th in the AAC and were below .500... again. But hey we have 4 good players coming in so join them. Well Memphis has 4 better players coming in lol. Y’all crazy
"Y'all crazy"?

I don't know if Memphis is paying players. It's entirely possible they are, and it's entirely possible they aren't.

But have you followed college basketball recruiting the last 20 years? Or nah

Reaction Score
This whole thing goes to show you when a previous NBA superstar really wants to grind day in & day out, they can be a heck of a recruiter both at the college & NBA level, fortunately Magic didn’t want to. Penny looks like he enjoys the grind of coaching & recruiting, happy for him.

pj

Reaction Score
Someone needs to photoshop this picture with $100 bills overflowing from that bag in the aisle.

Mind you, I'm not one of those people saying they're paying recruits.

View image on Twitter

You have to respect Memphis for investing in a private jet for their basketball coaches. It's a sound investment of university funds.

Reaction Score
Would have been great seeing him as a Husky. Hope we beat him every time. Other than that, best of luck to him.

Penny is going to be a problem for at least the next four years.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Weird stuff and Memphis recruiting is nothing new. Aside from the stuff Pastner and Cal actually got caught for people tend to forget the super sketchy hiring of Keelon Lawson who just happened to be the father of of some top rated recruits.

Reaction Score
Weird stuff and Memphis recruiting is nothing new. Aside from the stuff Pastner and Cal actually got caught for people tend to forget the super sketchy hiring of Keelon Lawson who just happened to be the father of of some top rated recruits.
It's been a majorly dirty program my entire lifetime.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We knew this ship had passed, and now it is official

Next

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's been a majorly dirty program my entire lifetime.

Yes, the regrettable Dana Kirk era. I believe their 1985 Final Four appearance was posthumously vacated. They were the only non-Big East team in it that year. Then there was Larry Finch. Pastner. Calipari. They likely fired Tubby Smith because he refused to cheat. Is there any word lower than cesspool to recount the history of Memphis BB?

Reaction Score
Yep, that's it. He was a huge Anfernee Hardaway fan growing up.

The way the word "legend" gets thrown around nowadays is hilarious.
Watch some videos and get back to me. Sans injury he would have been an all time great. Plus he has the penny foamposites. Kids like that stuff. Also you’re a legend bro

Reaction Score
Well at least now we can get out of this holding pattern and find out what the staff is doing with the final roster spot.
I’m going to be devils advocate and say nothing of substance. Deja vu. The ghost of coaches past still looming. Prepare league, schedule, travel, no post season, negative recruiting, plenty of PT, grinding, and tradition arguments.

I want a stud to commit that we have been on from the start. Why are we opening, working and not closing?? Money. Venue. Press. Whatever. We need to up our game and realize we are not UConn right now, but the University of Connecticut and will be until we win. We are in the verge of 4 straight loosing seasons. I’m chapped.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom