Precious to Memphis | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Precious to Memphis

pj

Reaction Score
What makes me most mad is that UConn is by far the bigger brand, with the bigger fanbase, with more tradition/history/prestige...but even located in the most populous pocket of the country (with highest household income), we still do not have a sugar daddy/mommy willing to pay top dollar for the top recruits.

Kudos to Memphis for finding their sugar daddy ...

The FBI is sending parents to jail for bribing a college choice for their kids, using the charge of "mail fraud". The same logic applies to bribing a high school basketball player's college choice. And we know the FBI is looking into these arrangements. It is only a matter of time before the "sugar daddies" start getting prosecuted for mail fraud.

So why would anyone want to become a sugar daddy? What's in it for the daddy?

Reaction Score
The FBI is sending parents to jail for bribing a college choice for their kids, using the charge of "mail fraud". The same logic applies to bribing a high school basketball player's college choice. And we know the FBI is looking into these arrangements. It is only a matter of time before the "sugar daddies" start getting prosecuted for mail fraud.

Boosters are a strange breed.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Memphis just named their sugar daddy their new AD. That gives him access to line pockets up and down P5 conferences / NCAA on Memphis' behalf. And if this guy can deliver another community college to a P5 conference like Louisville, that's the type of ego drive these boosters live for.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone really thought we had a chance here with him never visiting us? I guess it was more wishing that NC or Kansas would get him instead of Memphis.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Hurley has a vastly different approach to recruiting and building a program than Penny.

Hurley is trying to build a college program. Penny is trying to build an NBA factory.

Trust me, I'd love to be in Memphis' position right now. I'm just saying their approach is different, and I like the way Hurley is doing it. We are going for the Villanova approach, they are going for the Kentucky approach.

Yeah I get that and agree. We've never been a one-and-done type of program. I'm just impatient and tired of years without tournament bids.

Reaction Score
It would appear this is Hardaway taking the "short-term, do-whatever-it-takes to win immediately" approach... VS. ...Hurley taking the long-term, building-a-winning-culture-through-good-habits approach, and identifying 3-4 year foundational players.

For Hardaway, good luck. Eye-candy in the beginning, but typically does not turn into sustainable or consistent success (championships).

If anything this helps recruiting for the good guys and the conference as a whole. What true competitor doesn't want to go up against the best competition?

Reaction Score
I'm like 95% certain it will.
I get the same feeling. It's tough to get that many good recruits in one class. Wiseman is going to be a stud. No question on that one. The rest of the guys will be fighting for minutes and some of them won't be happy. Hardaway will have have to earn his money this year.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
What makes me most mad is that UConn is by far the bigger brand, with the bigger fanbase, with more tradition/history/prestige...but even located in the most populous pocket of the country (with highest household income), we still do not have a sugar daddy/mommy willing to pay top dollar for the top recruits.

Kudos to Memphis for finding their sugar daddy and promoting him to AD. They'll likely get to a Final Four now, eventually earn a P5 conference invitation, then have to vacate this Final Four long after they are in a P5 conference...which won't matter because they'd be in the money club and will be able to do whatever they want. Following Louisville's blueprint perfectly, to be honest.

I'm so fired up to read UConn's APR scores release though.

We’re in repair mode right now. I’m sure most of these kids would likely commit to a vintage UConn program right now but we’re trying to get back to being competitive. It’s a slow process. One misplaced duffle bag could set us back another 5-10 years.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It’s disgusting that this can happen. It’s clear as day whts happening in Memphis and the NCAA doesn’t care

Reaction Score
If anything this helps recruiting for the good guys and the conference as a whole. What true competitor doesn't want to go up against the best competition?
I don’t know. It probably helps ACC teams, though the ACC had cache before K started going heavily for 1-and-dones. But has Kentucky helped the recruiting at other SEC schools? Did UK help Auburn put together its team? I really don’t know, but it doesn’t feel like the SEC has become a better basketball conference.

Reaction Score
I'm like 95% certain it will.
Boogie Ellis and Tucker were huge. They're both going to score for sure. Achiuwa and Wiseman may not score as much as people expect, but those two kids could make up for it. Jeffries, Achiuwa, and Wiseman should be a monstrous defensive frontcourt too.

But overall they lack experience both as players and coaches, so we'll see if their talent wins out there.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Memphis just named their sugar daddy their new AD. That gives him access to line pockets up and down P5 conferences / NCAA on Memphis' behalf. And if this guy can deliver another community college to a P5 conference like Louisville, that's the type of ego drive these boosters live for.

Acting/Interim AD... Memphis Commercial Appeal:Who could replace Tom Bowen as Memphis athletics director?

>>... Tom Jurich: Jurich served as an athletics director from 1988-2017 at Northern Arizona, Colorado State and Louisville. His most notable achievements came in his 20-year stretch with Louisville, overseeing an Orange Bowl victory, Sugar Bowl victory and 2013 men's basketball national championship that later was vacated. While Jurich was in place for the controversial rehiring of football coach Bobby Petrino and retainment of basketball coach Rick Pitino, as well as NCAA sanctions in men's basketball, he also helped elevate the school's resources and profile to the point that it was invited to the ACC. Louisville and Jurich reached a $4.5 million settlement after he stepped down in wake the national federal corruption investigation of college basketball.<<

Reaction Score
Bad for Uconn, good for the AAC. They have added another team to make them more relevant in the post season. We all know the Huskies will return to glory. Staying in conference is actually great news. Except for actually not getting him. Although is no surprise to the staff who has not been hounding him as of late.

Reaction Score
How come chief didn’t tell us The Dam is actually in Tennessee???

93987EC6-C082-4BED-AE97-8CA6F5B574FA.jpeg

Reaction Score
Someone needs to photoshop this picture with $100 bills overflowing from that bag in the aisle.

Mind you, I'm not one of those people saying they're paying recruits.

View image on Twitter

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom