Precious to Memphis | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Precious to Memphis

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I used the most recent updated ESPN rankings for those numbers.

Yes, same conference, but Memphis has major geographic advantages. Non-power 5/major city vs non-power 5/cow country. Yes, we have the advantage with the superior history, titles, NBA alumni etc but even with Calhoun and in a major conference we rarely landed top 15 players. Don’t get me wrong, If we could get a top 15 and then get the domino effect that comes with it I’d be ecstatic. But, after a few years of enduring massive yearlong Boneyard threads on top recruits that always end the same way I’ve become disillusioned with chasing 5 stars.

Huh? UConn is right in between NYC and Boston. The Memphis metro area is about the same size as the Hartford or Providence metro areas. If being in a city meant so much then BC and St. John’s would be crushing it.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm not happy that Precious has chosen Memphis per se, but I do like the fact that the entire Memphis story is poised to give this place life. We have been without a good rival since the BE ended for us. Now we have the building blocks for some passion again. Now many of us might actually pay attention to in conference games w/o UConn. There is now a compelling a story.

Though it may be delusional at this particular point in time, I'd really prefer not to think that our biggest conference rival will become West Tennessee CC. Temple I could live with. Not this.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Huh? UConn is right in between NYC and Boston. The Memphis metro area is about the same size as the Hartford or Providence metro areas. If being in a city meant so much then BC and St. John’s would be crushing it.

It's not the cities that matter, it's the media markets. Also we have the advantage of being in between two huge ones, and our local market is respectable. We should do fine recruiting the NE corridor, an advantage no other team but Temple enjoys in the AAC. If we can't effectively recruit that territory we should demote ourselves to low major or D-II status. We still have enough juice to get it done.

Reaction Score
You guys are all such sore losers bla bla cheating bla bla. He probably wants to play for an nba legend. Grow up and stop complaining
Not so sure he was a legend. He had the potential to be, but I would place him pretty solidly in the top 200-250 range all time.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Not so sure he was a legend. He had the potential to be, but I would place him pretty solidly in the top 200-250 range all time.

Not only that, but what's this sudden attraction about playing for an NBA star? Players think it's gonna automatically rub off on them? It didn't work for Drexler at Houston or Mullin at St. John's. It doesn't automatically make for a great recruiter or CBB coach when they start with little or no experience. Name one ex-NBA star that won a Final Four as a head coach.

Reaction Score
Hardaway is following the Kentucky one and done model. Good luck being an NBA farm team. It doesn’t work all that well. Hurley has the Calhoun approach. It worked quite well. I am not losing any sleep over this. Penny has to prove himself as a coach, and being an NBA icon is not a gaurantee that you will be a good coach. Many great coaches were bench warmers in college. Let’s just move on.

If Precious and Akok had signed here, would you be saying the same about Hurley? Lol

Reaction Score
Penny Hardaway is not a regular college basketball coach. His swag alone is worth luring in a #1 recruiting class. He was one of the best players in the NBA when he played. He played with Shaq. He had and still has one of the most popular signature basketball shoes. They still sell them. The Ad campaign for his shoes is legendary. The only other sneaker Michael Jordan ever wore in a game besides his own was Hardaways sneaker.
There was also a hit song named after him about 18 months ago. And he played at Memphis. If he wins he’ll be impossible.
He was one of the best players in the NBA for like one or two seasons. Don't think I've ever seen a player get more talk off of less than Penny, amazing what an ad campaign can do. Meanwhile someone like Brandon Roy is already completely forgotten.

You would think Anfernee is one of the greatest players ever the way some people talk about him.

Reaction Score
Hurley has a vastly different approach to recruiting and building a program than Penny.

Hurley is trying to build a college program. Penny is trying to build an NBA factory.

Trust me, I'd love to be in Memphis' position right now. I'm just saying their approach is different, and I like the way Hurley is doing it. We are going for the Villanova approach, they are going for the Kentucky approach.
This is nuts. Both coaches are vying for the best players that will commit. Any of these players we gladly take right? So we’re building something else than they are? We won’t take an NBA prospect because it’s a factory we’re creating?

Reaction Score
I think people are underestimating the influence of Lance Thomas, Rayjon Tucker, Isaiah Maurice, Tyler Harris, and Alex Lomax on these freshmen.
Thomas (from Louisville) is probably their best outside shooter from the mainstays, but had to sit out this year. A legit stretch 4.
Tucker was probably their most important recruit this year.
Penny has some good experience to sprinkle in with all the natural talent he's recruited. There is a path to the final game. It'll be interesting to see how they go about it.

Reaction Score
Expectations were tempered here, the Precious talks never got to the place the Diamond Stone ones did. We are on a long drought for a power forward/big man.

Reaction Score
Wow. Their starting lineup could look like Ellis, Quinones, Tucker, Achiuwa, Wiseman.

Basically, there's a real chance that 4/5ths of their starting lineup was acquired in the month of May.
Shows the state of NCAA Athletics when a god damn commuter college can pick up the phone and buy this kind of team.

Reaction Score
Based on him acting like a jackarse towards other coaches who have been doing it forever and he's been doing it for a few months.
Wah wah. Times are a changing. Either you are with the times or not. Coach K adjusted. So these other coaches better learn how to play this game or else.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
He was one of the best players in the NBA for like one or two seasons. Don't think I've ever seen a player get more talk off of less than Penny, amazing what an ad campaign can do. Meanwhile someone like Brandon Roy is already completely forgotten.

You would think Anfernee is one of the greatest players ever the way some people talk about him.

4× NBA All-Star (1995–1998)
2× All-NBA First Team (1995, 1996)
All-NBA Third Team (1997)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (1994)
Consensus first-team All-American (1993)
2× Great Midwest Player of the Year (1992, 1993)
No. 25 retired by the University of Memphis

Anyway -Hardaway , Brandon Roy, Grant Hill, etc. injuries happen and cut great careers short.

Reaction Score
Except, what happens when ESPN decides to show Memphis/Tulane because of the "glitter" around the Memphis program and relegates UConn/Cinci to +?

The Boneyard will go ballistic.

It has been demonstrated for years that you can be a strong program regardless of conference affiliation. Look at Gonzaga. Their ridiculously weak conference hasn't affected them.

If UConn returns to it's level the conference won't matter other than getting a few dollars from other teams NCAA credits.

In order to get back to "UConn's level" you have to beat contenders. Memphis is a contender. That is good for UConn and good for the AAC. A win vs. Memphis, likely ranked in the top 25, would be better than a win vs. Memphis not ranked in the top 25.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
This reminds me of when we thought we were going to get a big player out of Cambridge Rindge and Latin High school in Mass. We has all ready signed their point guard the year before and we expected the big guy to follow. Well, the world ended when the big guy went to some school in DC. NOT. Did you know it took 3 years before the big guy won a national championship. Where do you think Precious will be in 3 years?

Please understand Hurley's primary goal is not to have a winning season next year. His goal is to reestablish a national program that is in the mix for national championships every year. PA was not going to do that in a one and done.

Reaction Score
Hope he ends up playing 10 minutes a game, buried on the bench, and not developing at all. Of course I'd never wish an injury on someone, but if he fails to develop for any other reason, particularly PT, not gonna lie, I'll smile.
Lol. I'm sure other bloggers in other states feel the same when their kids come to Uconn

Reaction Score
This reminds me of when we thought we were going to get a big player out of Cambridge Rindge and Latin High school in Mass. We has all ready signed their point guard the year before and we expected the big guy to follow. Well, the world ended when the big guy went to some school in DC. NOT. Did you know it took 3 years before the big guy won a national championship. Where do you think Precious will be in 3 years?

Please understand Hurley's primary goal is not to have a winning season next year. His goal is to reestablish a national program that is in the mix for national championships every year. PA was not going to do that in a one and done.
Hurley's primary goal better be to have a winning season next year.

You are talking out of your butt about Ewing and UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom