Post Spring Game Analysis - Post Here | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Post Spring Game Analysis - Post Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After the top three receivers, there appears to be a significant drop-off. Didn't see too much from John Greene, Dhameer Bradley, or Noel Thomas. However, they had Cochran throwing to them and he was definitely having accuracy issues.

Ummm... must have left early ;) - Cochran had a 53-yard bullet to Dhameer Bradley. It was the longest play of the day. I think he's gonna make a big impact (as a true frosh), but I've said that about others after seeing them in the Spring :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My favorite part was when the announcer was introducing the fans to the person that was going to attempt to win the "punt-throw" game for a prize, but the team had taken the field in front of him and he had to stop before he punted....classic...

You understate how embarrassing this was. Everybody in the place knew that the promotion wasn't going to happen at that time. Yet the PA guy kept talking. It was like he was teleworking. Totally clueless.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Loved what I saw out of Marquise Vann.

Did anyone else see this? It was later in the game around midfield, after the play was blown dead somehow Vann ended up on the turf in the Indian-style sitting position. That's unique enough. But then he just stood right up without using his arms. It was quick, but then it hit me,. That feat can't be that easy, right?

Reaction Score
We have no shortage of capable LB's and DB's. Vann is ready to go. The PA system was like a deer fly buzzing around in the background, running video and sound while the play was going on, just inept.

Reaction Score
I've emailed Warde a few times asking him to put someone in charge of the game day experience. This is his second football season here, with an Assistant AD with major football responsibilities. The same ole same ole crap will not cut it. I mean we have guys who are in charge of the video department running the sound at the games. Two very very different skill sets

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
About the marketing fail:

Maybe our director of marketing's stepping down on THU to take an assistant AD gig at Maryland had something to do with some of the FUBAR on display today, I dunno. But the lack of new-logo gear for sale, minimal signage, deplorable field conditions, etc.? Sorry, but that's an institutional issue.

Bluntly put, UConn's PR and Marketing never made it out of the Yankee Conference with the FB team. Never.

I'll state this to Warde's face if I ever get to meet him: UConn needs to just forget about making money for awhile, and just concentrate on making FANS. Treat the fan base right on the front end, and watch how big the ROI will kick in down the road. And if it were just about winning, we'd be golden already. Instead, we got today's experience.

I'm buying season tickets this week - I'm already True Blue so I don't know any better. But my boys? They just wanted to go home as fast as they could today. They were thoroughly unimpressed with UConn football, and THAT is the problem.

The good news is that it's still fixable. Problem is, do we have the right leadership in the AD to fix it?...

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Did anyone hear or get an explanation on why the field was so beat up? I didn't/couldn't.

While this is the responsibility of the Facility Management Company and not UConn directly - it was a mess. I bet it hasn't been touched since the Dec 7th/8th HS Championship Games.

Reaction Score
Noticed #26 as well, Eric Brainard, kid is fast as hell, saw him in warm ups but thought it was because the other players were moving half effort, not the case at all, got in a couple plays carried the ball around the end with purpose!
Yep, I'd like to see a little more from him. Certainly couldn't tell too much from this scrimmage, but he had some quick's to him.

Reaction Score
Let me put the spring football game In a different perspective. About three years ago my oldest daughter was trying out for the golden girls at Florida state. We stayed up there for two days at a hotel. My wife and I met another family in the jacuzzi and started talking. They were there from Georgia for the spring football game. They were excited to see the players. The new coach ( jumbo fisher first year) the new dc. And excited to see the players. They also took their little ones to the game and tailgated.
Not once did they talk about receiving any buzz or energy about the program that made them take the drive from Georgia. They never said the local beat reporters were covering the team so great that they had to be there.
This was also at a time where Florida state had not been winning. Nor did he leave the game saying he predicted x many wins
Spring game is just what it is. A chance to see the players and show support for the program. A fay out with the Family or/and friends and a day to enjoy a few brews.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score

Maybe our director of marketing's stepping down on THU to take an assistant AD gig at Maryland had something to do with some of the FUBAR on display today, I dunno. But the lack of new-logo gear for sale, minimal signage, deplorable field conditions, etc.? Sorry, but that's an institutional issue.

Bluntly put, UConn's PR and Marketing never made it out of the Yankee Conference with the FB team. Never.

I'll state this to Warde's face if I ever get to meet him: UConn needs to just forget about making money for awhile, and just concentrate on making FANS. Treat the fan base right on the front end, and watch how big the ROI will kick in down the road. And if it were just about winning, we'd be golden already. Instead, we got today's experience.

I'm buying season tickets this week - I'm already True Blue so I don't know any better. But my boys? They just wanted to go home as fast as they could today. They were thoroughly unimpressed with UConn football, and THAT is the problem.

The good news is that it's still fixable. Problem is, do we have the right leadership in the AD to fix it?...

Ummmm. No. You are spot on. Football marketing has never left Memorial Stadium type attitude.

Reaction Score

+1000 The marketing and PR from this AD is atrocious, particularly when it comes to football.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Did anyone else see this? It was later in the game around midfield, after the play was blown dead somehow Vann ended up on the turf in the Indian-style sitting position. That's unique enough. But then he just stood right up without using his arms. It was quick, but then it hit me,. That feat can't be that easy, right?

Yes! I saw it and commented about it to my brother actually. He saw it too. Amazing strength and agility. It may have been after he had an INT go through his hands, then slid down to the turf on his back in disgust (?). But yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. He was in Indian-style sitting position and used his legs to stand up in less than a second, without using any hands or anything for balance. It would take me MUCH longer to just get INTO an Indian-style sitting position!!

Reaction Score
Yes! I saw it and commented about it to my brother actually. He saw it too. Amazing strength and agility. It may have been after he had an INT go through his hands, then slid down to the turf on his back in disgust (?). But yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. He was in Indian-style sitting position and used his legs to stand up in less than a second, without using any hands or anything for balance. It would take me MUCH longer to just get INTO an Indian-style sitting position!!

With my sport scarred knees, if I ended up in an Indian style sitting position - I'm not getting up period.

Reaction Score
Heard on the radio "pre-game" show that the grass on the playing field and team portions of the sidelines will be removed and replaced with new sod this week. The grass will have a chance to get established before a men's soccer doubleheader in July, then reworked for the football season. When we were on the field after the game I was surprised by how much sand was there--the 40 yard line was more beach-y than turf-y.

Scrimmage was a chance to watch individual players and get an inkling into the coaching changes. Definitely a work in progress. Big crowd "ooh" for Dalton Gifford's loud hit in the last "quarter." "Big" being a relative term--it was an embarrassing showing today.

First chance to talk to Warde Manuel. Kudos to him for OOC schedule additions, events like today's post-game "meet and greet" on field. Asked what's up with UCONN radio "network", which doesn't provide good signal strength in southern and western CT. He agreed, shared that he lost the signal on the way to a meeting in NY. We'll see what happens with that. Talked with coach Weist, too; great energy and intensity. Resisted the urge to trip GDL.

Football hibernation begins...see y'all in August!

Reaction Score
Heard on the radio "pre-game" show that the grass on the playing field and team portions of the sidelines will be removed and replaced with new sod this week. The grass will have a chance to get established before a men's soccer doubleheader in July, then reworked for the football season. When we were on the field after the game I was surprised by how much sand was there--the 40 yard line was more beach-y than turf-y!

Ahhhh.... Makes sense. Thanks Kelly!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have to say that I agree with Whaler. I feel like this was the least amount of effort that the university has put into this thing in a long time, from all fronts. I will never miss a spring game, because I can't remember the last one that I've missed, but this one had the feel of "Why am I here?" (and that's coming from ME!!!...Mr. 13-0...)

I went with my kids, but I saw less than a half of football. They had taken down the bounce houses for the kids 30 minutes after play had begun. After that, there was very little for the kids to do. I went to the vendor stand for merchandise, hoping to buy my oldest kid (4 years old) something, like a Jonathan doll or some gear. They had nothing smaller than adult-sized gear. I was told I could get more from the Co-op online. Fantastic.

The "game" that I watched for about 30 to 40 minutes was brutal. Not much energy on the field, and even less in the stands. The band and cheerleaders were giving it the old college try, but everything else about today felt like an open practice that people got to peek into, including Pasqualoni lining up in the "I-Formation" all day. It certainly didn't feel like an event, and there was no juice to the play.

The absolute most that I can say is that Whitmer looked competent and nobody else did. I'm still going to stand behind my "13-0" psychology, but today was a tough day to be at The Rent...

Everything about the day was completely half assed. I get that they won't open all the concession stands for 5k people, but why not at least have signs telling us which ones are open so we don't have to walk half way around the stadium, and then back. Pasqualoni looked annoyed to be there. It really pissed me off when the guy was doing the pass, punt and kick for whatever prize and Pasqualoni just lines the team up in the middle of it. If the scrimmage is going to be that informal, why can't the team wait for the guy to finish?

Since it doesn't matter who wins, why not make it more fun? Why start with trying to run an offense out of your own end zone? Why run that set at all during a scrimmage? Why not do some more fan contests, or keep the bouncies open for a little longer? Why not have a clock showing us when the scrimmage is going to end, so those of us with kids know how long they have to hold out? I must have left 5 minutes before the end of the scrimmage.

I also didn't feel a lot of energy on the field either. Too much jogging. Players didn't drive their legs on tackles. I get that no one wants to get hurt in a scrimmage, but playing at 75% increases the chance of injury, not decreases it.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
From my stand point the "game" was fine, but WAY to short. letting people get autographs at the end was a great touch. I enjoyed getting to meet the players and got a picture with phillips. Also like others have mentioned our WRs look pretty good. they just need a better QB throwing to them. Oh and maybe the people that the game would know, but if you went up to mcombs, that guys arms are massive. am almost his height but dang he looks like a mini power back. He definitely has potential with that size and speed, he just needs some more development. Also Scot MC throws a tighter spiral as people have mentioned before. if you want to judge CC there is no way in hell he is ready, Whitmer looked 7 times better. the depth chart will probably go... 1.CW 2. SM 3. CC. although CC seamed like a great kid getting to talk to him. Although it seemed like everyone was so...... lol.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The story about the person getting such a response for season-tickets boggles my mind.

UConn should be doing what every team, pro and college, is doing with people who want season tickets nowadays- waiting on them hand and foot, making sure they understand how much their support is appreciated.

I feel like they think that because they've been doing this ten years, because Michigan and MIGHTY MARYLAND are coming this year, that they've got everything figured out.

What they should have done? Apologize profusely for the computer issues, get the person's contact info, and reach out to them first-thing Monday to hammer out specific details on a seat location. Encourage them to sit around several sections, maybe send a ticket rep with them to write down places they liked, then see what's available when the computers work and make it happen. And maybe you promise a new logo t-shirt as a "sorry for the hassle" thing.

But instead, this is what you get. Turning away people who willingly want to buy season tickets for a boring program, with no buzz, that's down A THIRD in season ticket sales over the last few years.

I really think tickets/marketing look at the Spring Game as a chore and inconvenience.

That mentality is the problem. Has been for far too long.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I just tried or. Or, more accurately, I sat on the floor with a puzzled look on my face until I crawled back over to the couch.

I couldn't even figure out which muscle groups would be involved in such a thing. And even if I had figured that out, I'm certain that I don't possess those muscles. Further, if I had them, I would have torn every single one of them in the effort.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The story about the person getting such a response for season-tickets boggles my mind.

You realize that he basically makes s*** up, right?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You realize that he basically makes s*** up, right?

UConn ticketing being a mess isn't exactly new news.

Reaction Score
That move would probably require super human strength in the hips and groin. Hurts just thinking about it.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I agree that it was short and there wasn't a lot to analyze, but being able to go onto the field afterwards and to get player autographs was a nice touch. That part certainly was the highlight for me and my son - I was in such a good mood I even shook GDL's hand on the field!

By any chance, after shaking GDL's hand did you suddenly run straight into a wall 2 times, try to throw something at the wall and then kick it before walking away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom