Post Spring Game Analysis - Post Here | The Boneyard

Post Spring Game Analysis - Post Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure what we saw today or what the coaches were looking for. From my perspective we looked very athletic on both sides of the ball, despite offense's inability to move the ball most of the time. The offense was limited for sure on what they could run - PP mentioned that before hand.

Couple of things that I noticed.

Did we have more interceptions than receptions?
We have depth on D
Clax is not a bad RB. Did not see Williams. Reason Frank moved for sure.
We held on to interceptions.
Deshon Foxx will help us this year.
Cochran threw too high, McCummings improved as a passer, Whitmer is the starter hands down.
Geremey Davis is a stud.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is honestly nothing to analyze. There was no 'game'. There was no structure. There was no reason to be there.

If you want one thing to take away. Whitmer is the quarterback and no one available for today's game has any chance of challenging him for the spot.

Reaction Score
There is honestly nothing to analyze. There was no 'game'. There was no structure. There was no reason to be there.

If you want one thing to take away. Whitmer is the quarterback and no one available for today's game has any chance of challenging him for the spot.
The reason to be there was to support the kids and the program. A for the structure this was announced in advance due to injuries.

Reaction Score

Yes sure we know all that, but there must have been something to take away. I just thought that we have speed and athleticism on both sides. Overall.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
No complaints about the different format- the entire team is injured.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The reason to be there was to support the kids and the program. A for the structure this was announced in advance due to injuries.

And I was there so I did my piece. I understand the injuries, but there is almost nothing to take away because of how it was structured.

Reaction Score
My take away is that there is not going to be a quaterback controversy this year at UCONN. Whitmer is head and shoulders better than anyone else. That is sad because he is average at best. They offense needs serious work before next season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought that Ty-meer Brown worked hard and made plays. Shakim Phillips was our best WR br a wide margin. He just looks like a potential weapon. Actually came back to the ball, something I'm not used to seeing from our receivers.

Reaction Score
On 1080 at least dehonn foxx sounds promising as did the corner from Florida.

Reaction Score
I like the new offensive scheme where the grey haired guy lines up in the backfield on every play, that has potential.

McCummings now throws a tight spiral, something he could not do two years ago. Given his running ability I think he is the number two QB right now, not Cochran.

Just my opinion, but they could have held a traditional spring game today if they really wanted to, the will to do it just wasn't there, I blame the head coach.

I know you can't lose a spring game, but this felt like a loss. We are o - 1 in 2013.

Reaction Score
The open practice today was very, very concerning.

If you want to be optimistic, just say that the format did not allow them to show much. If you want to be pessimistic, prepare for 1-11.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The open practice today was very, very concerning.

If you want to be optimistic, just say that the format did not allow them to show much. If you want to be pessimistic, prepare for 1-11.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to avoid saying. 1-11 is pushing it, but if all you knew about this team was today you'd say 3-4 wins.

And of course they could have played a game if they chose to. If you can run plays from scrimmage you can play a game.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't put any stock into a spring practice game. I didn't go, hope the fans had a good time, it's just a small show, no one should be concerned about anything right now. We have a bunch of kids arriving in june, some will help. For now it's still a work in progress.

Reaction Score
Agree with Whaler. I was there. The structure, but especially the length was absurd. Hope no one drive up from out of state for it. Saw some of the incoming freshman walking around with name tags.

As for players that stood out, Foxx, Jhavon Williams, David Stevenson. Obi looks like stud athlete. Mack appears to be this teams version of toast.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I have to say that I agree with Whaler. I feel like this was the least amount of effort that the university has put into this thing in a long time, from all fronts. I will never miss a spring game, because I can't remember the last one that I've missed, but this one had the feel of "Why am I here?" (and that's coming from ME!!!...Mr. 13-0...)

I went with my kids, but I saw less than a half of football. They had taken down the bounce houses for the kids 30 minutes after play had begun. After that, there was very little for the kids to do. I went to the vendor stand for merchandise, hoping to buy my oldest kid (4 years old) something, like a Jonathan doll or some gear. They had nothing smaller than adult-sized gear. I was told I could get more from the Co-op online. Fantastic.

The "game" that I watched for about 30 to 40 minutes was brutal. Not much energy on the field, and even less in the stands. The band and cheerleaders were giving it the old college try, but everything else about today felt like an open practice that people got to peek into, including Pasqualoni lining up in the "I-Formation" all day. It certainly didn't feel like an event, and there was no juice to the play.

The absolute most that I can say is that Whitmer looked competent and nobody else did. I'm still going to stand behind my "13-0" psychology, but today was a tough day to be at The Rent...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agree with Whaler. I was there. The structure, but especially the length was absurd. Hope no one drive up from out of state for it. Saw some of the incoming freshman walking around with name tags.

As for players that stood out, Foxx, Jhavon Williams, David Stevenson. Obi looks like stud athlete. Mack appears to be this teams version of toast.

Foxx showed some life. Brown is a player. Anyone holding onto the Cochran dream needs to let go.

You had to be there I guess to understand what a joke it was. No clock. No score. No public address. Smallest crowd I ever remember at a Rentschler spring game.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So glad PP understands the importance of maintaining a strong fan base during this volatile period of college athletics.

So glad the AD knows the value of maximizing media exposure in this volatile period of college athletics.

So glad that after all this effort to rebrand the AD. The players got a chance to show off the new uni's and fans that showed up got the chance to buy all kinds of new logo swag.

I would have been dissapointed otherwise.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

I'm hoping Tayler Mack looking like toast today (burned on the fade to the end zone corner) is because Shakim Phillips is a stud.

Reaction Score
Impressed a bit with Knappe at DT, for a a guy that size he consistantly got the lowest on both lines, decent push, didnt seem to tire.
Kept Mcbryde at DE because of injuries?
Santos at DT, him and Rugg kept going at after the whistle the whole practice. Most entertaining thing all day.
Tried the fade with Phillips alot, tried to get Foxx involved
Lots of LB's
Parrot the structure and length
See what they look like at the open summer practice.
See what they look like vs Towson.
Meh!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Foxx showed some life. Brown is a player. Anyone holding onto the Cochran dream needs to let go.

You had to be there I guess to understand what a joke it was. No clock. No score. No public address. Smallest crowd I ever remember at a Rentschler spring game.

My favorite part was when the announcer was introducing the fans to the person that was going to attempt to win the "punt-throw" game for a prize, but the team had taken the field in front of him and he had to stop before he punted....classic...

Reaction Score
This season hinges on the offensive line. Period. We have never had the offensive weapons we have right now.

Shakim Phillips and Geremy Davis are NFL-size and caliber receivers. Deshon Foxx is a weapon in the slot with a coordinator who will utilize him (unlike Nick Williams last year). McCombs is a capable RB and the depth seems to be there, too, keeping the team fresh. Whitmer can sling it, but needs time to make a decision. If he feels rushed, he will lock in on receivers and it will be pick city. Most to all of his INTs last year were under pressure.

Defensively, we have fantastic LBs (even after losing Sio) and great athletes all over the field. The front seven will be fine and Jones and Mack will be okay. The defense will be fine, but if they're on the field too much, points will be allowed.

The offensive line holding its own will have this team bowl eligible at worst, but if they look at all like the unit last season and some of today, uh-oh.

Reaction Score
I agree that it was short and there wasn't a lot to analyze, but being able to go onto the field afterwards and to get player autographs was a nice touch. That part certainly was the highlight for me and my son - I was in such a good mood I even shook GDL's hand on the field!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree that it was short and there wasn't a lot to analyze, but being able to go onto the field afterwards and to get player autographs was a nice touch. That part certainly was the highlight for me and my son - I was in such a good mood I even shook GDL's hand on the field!

Yeah screwing around on the field after was fun. They got one thing right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom