Post Spring Game Analysis - Post Here | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Post Spring Game Analysis - Post Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This sounds bandwagon and fair weatherish. I don't speak your language

Our offense has been one of the absolute worst in America the past two seasons.

The same mental errors by the coaching staff have been made for the past two seasons.

We finished 5-7 the past two seasons.

Sorry if calling the staff out is considered fair weather, but enthusiasm for the program is at an all time low and the biggest root cause for that is P.

It's not the losing entirely, but it's the way we've been losing, doing the same exact stupid over and over again that pissses people off.

I want to have hope going forward, but I fail to see how a retread coach with his idiotic assistant will turn this program around and put it back on the same trajectory as the end of the decade.

Reaction Score
I did not get to this spring game, but I have been to most of them over the years. It is hard to take too much away from them.

I will say this. What I'm hearing is that we continue to struggle with our running game and if that in fact turns out to be the case this season we could be in for a disaster. I'm talking 1-2 win season. I hope I'm wrong, but if these guys think they are going to a read option with this personnel they all deserve what will come of it.

Reaction Score
Well you guys can keep beating yourselves over the head focusing on everything that has gone wrong. It is the easy way out. You are entitled to that. I will look forward to a turn around season and a bowl game. It would have been nice if more fans supported the spring game. He attendance was as much of an embarrassment as the format of the game. I hope you guys get what you want in a ten win season so these kids would get more support. End rant. Looking forward to summer practice and hopefully some good conference news

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well you guys can keep beating yourselves over the head focusing on everything that has gone wrong. It is the easy way out. You are entitled to that. I will look forward to a turn around season and a bowl game. It would have been nice if more fans supported the spring game. He attendance was as much of an embarrassment as the format of the game. I hope you guys get what you want in a ten win season so these kids would get more support. End rant. Looking forward to summer practice and hopefully some good conference news

Good rant. A bowl game is a fantasy.

Reaction Score
I support every UConn coach, probably to a fault. I am really hoping that PP has a great season next year. Hopefully TJ turns this offense around. But I do agree with Jeff Jacobs ( I can't believe I just said that), that there is no Buzz about the football program. Not sure if I blame PP ,WM or the whole UConn marketing department. It is probably a combo of both. I have had 9 season tickets for the last 10 years ( 6 with seat donation, 3 no seat donation). All 9 of us rarely missed a game and based our whole social schedule around UConn FB games. This past year, there was maybe 5 of us that made every game and the other 4 tickets became a chore to get rid of. This year we are only getting the 6 donation seats, so we will be down 3 seats for the first time in 11 years. This is with Michigan and Maryland coming to The Rent. I am hoping winning next year changes everything, because unfortunately it seems like our trajectory is headed in the wrong direction.

Reaction Score
Last year lost 4 close games and won 4 close games. NCS and Temple loses at home (both 3 point loses and literally one play games) turn last years team with just a couple of plays into ok season with still terrible coaching. Add getting some points against USF and could have been 8 win season. That's how close a 5-7 season can be to 8-4 ( of course could also be 3-9). Can not expect offense to be as unproductive as last year, just can't be. Defense may not be as statistically good but expect more take aways and less red zone scoring (as % at least) so any kind of ok offensive coaching and should be better.

Don't see all the tougher schedule this year:

7 teams the same
Towson for Mass - could we lose this, sure hope not
Memphis for NCS - easier
Mich for WM - tougher but lost last year
SMU for Syracuse - not much different
UCF for Pitt - better but not way better

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Last year lost 4 close games and won 4 close games. NCS and Temple loses at home (both 3 point loses and literally one play games) turn last years team with just a couple of plays into ok season with still terrible coaching. Add getting some points against USF and could have been 8 win season. That's how close a 5-7 season can be to 8-4 ( of course could also be 3-9). Can not expect offense to be as unproductive as last year, just can't be. Defense may not be as statistically good but expect more take aways and less red zone scoring (as % at least) so any kind of ok offensive coaching and should be better.

Don't see all the tougher schedule this year:

7 teams the same
Towson for Mass - could we lose this, sure hope not
Memphis for NCS - easier
Mich for WM - tougher but lost last year
SMU for Syracuse - not much different
UCF for Pitt - better but not way better

You left out where the team last year was better.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that PP viewed the scrimmage as nothing more than that, a scrimmage. Had no concern/appreciation for the PR value. It would have been nice to see some no-huddle just to pick up the pace and add some juice to throw people a "bone"

Hoping that TJW went along with the"boss" and intentionally kept the clamps on the offense. I'll buy the players "we do a lot more stuff in practice' line for now. Trust me, if the offense is as slow boring and bad as it was yesterday in the first half against Maryland, PP might not make it to December.

and another thing: I hope that personal pride alone will motivate Warde to motivate the Rent people to get it ship-shape for Sept. 21.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that PP viewed the scrimmage as nothing more than that, a scrimmage. Had no concern/appreciation for the PR value. It would have been nice to see some no-huddle just to pick up the pace and add some juice to throw people a "bone"

Hoping that TJW went along with the"boss" and intentionally kept the clamps on the offense. I'll buy the players "we do a lot more stuff in practice' line for now. Trust me, if the offense is as slow boring and bad as it was yesterday in the first half against Maryland, PP might not make it to December.

and another thing: I hope that personal pride alone will motivate Warde to motivate the Rent people to get it ship-shape for Sept. 21.

Injuries handcuffed the "staff" from doing anything they may have wanted to do. i heard 15 potential starters/or those who will see significant playing time ths year were held out.

From John Silver amongst others: "The Huskies were without a multitude of players. There isn’t a complete list, more my own account, but from the starting lineup on offense Bennett, Bullock were missing with Joe Williams a major cog at running back also out. On defense, Jesse Joseph, Shamar Stephen, Yawin Smallwood were also out. The injury list lengthened when it went to the second units necessitating only an offense vs. defense scrimmage."

A comment from Weist - "“I am not putting everything into today,” Weist said. “It could have been more exciting today. But, I am not going to pay attention to that. We know we have talent. We’ve got playmakers. Our job is to put it together and put them in position to make plays.”

I agree bad timing @ a point when the program needs the "pr" but they put the fan base on notice mid-week that the format would be what it was... Maybe they shoud have done like Wisconsin and instituted some crazy ass scoring system that would have looked better to someone who just read it on-line.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Couple of questions for someone who wasn't able to make the multi-continental commute:
- Is there a replay available anywhere?
- I'm hearing McCummings looked better than Cochrane but according to the journalists, he only completed one pass - is that right?

I didn't think McCummings looked good at all. Casey had better moments when he was throwing out of the shotgun.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ok so I will give you seven vs Towson and take your Michigan bet

Can you be clearer? You'll give me UConn +7 against Towson and Michgan. -7?

Reaction Score
Willman, Knappe, Stewart shined.
D in general was impressive. Looked like a complete block of granite at all 3 levels.
Brainard very fast but small. Came out with leg injury after his nice end run.
Oline protected QBs fine but didn't open a single hole. Dline a factor in that but Oline is a question mark.
Cochran's next tight spiral will be his first.
Whitmer clear starter right now. Some timing patterns off - to be expected.
WRs can do the job if QB gets time.
Foxx found the open spaces and can be a more wiggly option in the slot than Nick was.

Reaction Score
Injuries handcuffed the "staff" from doing anything they may have wanted to do. i heard 15 potential starters/or those who will see significant playing time ths year were held out.

Yes Medic I knew the issues and the format before I walked in. Lack of bodies no reason not to go no-huddle every now and then. It wasn't like that would have been revealing the invention of the forward pass. And not letting offense take a shot for the TD on 4th-and-goal was nothing but a eye-roller, heavy-sigher that only reinforced the majority opinion of P.

Both little and inconsequential thing in the end. Gotta hope that by Sept. 14 TJ has carte blanche. But hey, GDL didn't have a headset Saturday. Will take positives anywhere I can find them.

Reaction Score
Forget about Cochran. I say this based on his performance and based on the fact that UConn recruited 3 quarterbacks in this class, plus last year brought in a JUCO with 3 years of eligibility. You don't do that if you think you have a guy who will be the future coming. If they felt Cochran was the guy, they'd have brought in 1 guy this year, knowing he would be in control for the next 3 or 4. Clearly they have serious doubts, and watching him, it is pretty clear why. No sense of the game. Panics under pressure. As for the rest, I guess I have a couple of thoughts. The format didn't lend itself to very much. I don't know...if that's the best you can do, maybe its better not to bother. Run a practice back at Storrs and invite big donors or something. Or just play the game with the backups. Yet another bad decision I put on the Athletic Department. Over all, it is horrible. And what is with all the injuries? When a team has an inordinate number, sometimes its just bad luck, but it also could suggest that conditioning isn't what it should be. It certainly bears watching.

Reaction Score
Forget about Cochran. I say this based on his performance and based on the fact that UConn recruited 3 quarterbacks in this class, plus last year brought in a JUCO with 3 years of eligibility. You don't do that if you think you have a guy who will be the future coming. If they felt Cochran was the guy, they'd have brought in 1 guy this year, knowing he would be in control for the next 3 or 4. Clearly they have serious doubts, and watching him, it is pretty clear why. No sense of the game. Panics under pressure. As for the rest, I guess I have a couple of thoughts. The format didn't lend itself to very much. I don't know...if that's the best you can do, maybe its better not to bother. Run a practice back at Storrs and invite big donors or something. Or just play the game with the backups. Yet another bad decision I put on the Athletic Department. Over all, it is horrible. And what is with all the injuries? When a team has an inordinate number, sometimes its just bad luck, but it also could suggest that conditioning isn't what it should be. It certainly bears watching.
Why are the 4 guys high on draft lists so positive about UConn strength and conditioning? Are they the only ones taking advantage of it? The team last year played until the end, and were almost always the far better conditioned team. I find it hard to believe we've sunk that far in a year.

Reaction Score
What is everyone complaining about regarding the format and length of the practice. Afterall, we all got ample warning that roughly 20 players were hurt/held out and that this would be a situational scrimmage. What were people expecting?!? Oh and by the way, it was FREE!!!!! Nothing like people complaining about a format change they got advanced warning on and did not have to pay for to go or attend if they did not want to. A normal practice is roughly 2:30 on the field. Factor out special teams, indivudual sessions, seperate team D/team Off and a normal practive is about an hour of Off versus Def in situational sessions.

The "scrimmage" wasn't exciting for sure and both sides other than a few plays played it very vanilla. Either a sign that they are still working out the kinks with new schemes/players or because they want to keep the game quick and injury free. The Spring Game is just a formality for the fans on most occassions and the real work and evaluation is already in the books based on the other 14 practices and closed scrimmages.

The unlimited bouncy houses for the young children we had with us was enough to call the day a success for me......It was tough prying them away from those when the actual scrimmage started.

Reaction Score
Why are the 4 guys high on draft lists so positive about UConn strength and conditioning? Are they the only ones taking advantage of it? The team last year played until the end, and were almost always the far better conditioned team. I find it hard to believe we've sunk that far in a year.
We had something like 25-30% of the team out with assorted injuries on Saturday. Now some of that was probably precautionary. Why risk injury in a meaningless exhibition. But I think that is an awful lot of guys who are injured. Might just have been bad luck this year. It happens. But it is just something to watch. Maybe it is nothing out of the ordinary but they were being extra careful this year. But it A. Seems like a high number to me; B. seems like something that bears watching; and C. We gave up the winning/tying score late in the game several times last year, Temple and Louisville both come to mind. The offense barely scored in the 2nd half. We gave up 82 4th quarter points vs.34 points scored. None of that suggests a team that was "the far better conditioned team."

Reaction Score
Watching him take this program backwards is gut wrenching. And you people are just a bunch of enablers.

Warde called me the other day and said, "You know, Irish Loop, the program is really in a tailspin, and the fanbase hates Pasqualoni, but since you and Srqhusky and huskymedic are willing to give him a chance, I'm gonna go ahead and keep him for another year."

Sorry, man.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Warde called me the other day and said, "You know, Irish Loop, the program is really in a tailspin, and the fanbase hates Pasqualoni, but since you and Srqhusky and huskymedic are willing to give him a chance, I'm gonna go ahead and keep him for another year."

Sorry, man.

You mean the three of you had a chance to save the program and you took a pass? You guys suck.

Reaction Score
You left out where the team last year was better.

That's 'cause don't think/know that it was. OL hard to be better last year with 5 starters returning this year and better play calling (a little surprise for defenses and less wildcat). LM better last year than he should be this year with some subbing in, hope not. Whitmer better last year, hope not. WR better last year, return top 2 and looks like have slot guy, hope not.
Defense last year was killed by "possession passers" who could isolate on lb's and take advantage of aggressive defensive play calling. Lost good talent so expect less especially at CB, so not as much talent. but for Uconn expect good talent on field.
Overall, have lot of returning starters on offense at skill positions so should be much, much better; lot of returning OL so should be at least much better.
Given college teams have 22 starters and probably 8 to 12 are seniors Uconn's new faces on defense are a lot but not unexpected to happen some years; like the "spoken about talent" of these guys like new LB's and don't see why can't be good.
Score median points for FBS teams like Miss State last year of 29.3 vs. Uconn's 17.75 (with 37 against Mass) and should be in most/all games. ND was 78th in scoring at 25.77 points per game and got into championship game. Uconn did not have the 118th most talented offense scoring wise last year, just performed/coached that way; this year's talent and new OC should get points to somewhere in 20's per game which changes the whole defensive requirement to win games.

Reaction Score

Sorry, man.

Ummm... I only got a call from a baseball player thanking me for my support of UConn Athletics. Must have missed WM's call.

I have no choice in whether they keep him or not so I lose no sleep over it. It's the continual bashing in a situation that none of us can control that I take exception to.

No improvement this year and no bowl... I'll help carry his boxes to his car.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Lol, either someone doesn't understand how betting lines work or is entirely too pessimistic for our game against Towson and entirely too optimistic for our game against Michigan.

Reaction Score
Well since you stated the team you saw would struggle against Towson. I figured giving you seven would be Generous. I don't bet against !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom