Post Spring Game Analysis - Post Here | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Post Spring Game Analysis - Post Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

In the spirit of fairness, I must say in my almost 25 years as a UConn season ticket holder the ticket office staff has always been very cordial, knowledgeable and helpful. The area of improvement needed is with Warde and his reports and with the systems policies and processes they use.

Reaction Score
I agree with whoever said that UConn needs to grow the base and worry about making money later.

As for the state of the program... We spent a good portion of this thread discussing how to stand up from the position of criss cross apple sauce. Good God.

Reaction Score
In the spirit of fairness, I must say in my almost 25 years as a UConn season ticket holder the ticket office staff has always been very cordial, knowledgeable and helpful. The area of improvement needed is with Warde and his reports and with the systems policies and processes they use.
Yes I agree. I ordered two extra this year and I wanted them to be close to where I am already. They were very accommodating. Could not have been nicer. I go o 6 or 7 soccer events as well. The will call works like a charm.

Reaction Score
Did Williams get a snap? If he did I missed it.

It was announced mid-week that Joe Williams would not be playing do to an "injury" that occurred the previous Saturday.

Reaction Score
I guess he's too hurt to get out to the Rent but Dez wrote a feature on a sporting good salesman that reads like advertising for today's Courant? It really is sad to see what's become of the Courant.

Jacobs and Doyle had long articles that I saw...

Reaction Score
I ordered three season tickets. I haven't heard anything but my credit card was charged. Is this normal?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I ordered three season tickets. I haven't heard anything but my credit card was charged. Is this normal?

Yes. Mechanically I've never seen a problem with how they sell tickets. Once you've bought them they'll get them to you.

Reaction Score
They are cordial and helpful. However when they fugg up your season tickets that you've had ten years and sell them to someone else, they need to do better than a polite "I'm sorry". Cordial, pleasant and helpful means nothing if incompetence turns people off.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There were some fairly good seats available yesterday. Behind visitor bench one section closer to scoreboard from lower seatbacks on the aisle near the top of lower bowl. Tempting to upgrade. Ive always bought 5 less quality seats to have extras for any friends who may want to come - it's been hard the last few years to even give them away.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Can anyone who went comment on how the ?? Oline fared against the 2nd string but expected to be decent Dline?

That's about the only thing fans could get an accurate read on given the format.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
A few observations and comments I gleaned during the day---beyond the obvious.

Bobby Puyols is "much improved kicker from last year". As Chad recovers from surgery, that's great news.
O-Line is "very happy with the new system". We'll see how that converts into yardage.
Chandler Whitmer is "much more confident QB".
Deshon Foxx should be a standout.
Lyle M is a very happy camper---lots of new plays to get him ball in space.
Tim Willman is relentless--should see lots of playing time.
Shakim Phillips should have a breakout year and could be our "Anquan Bouldin".
Andreas Knappe will surprise on D.
Our receivers say our new and returning DB's are excellent. Adams and Stevenson continue to improve.
Graham Stewart comes to play on every down. Very Lutrus-like.
The new OC is universally appreciated.
Players love the new unis and helmets. O-lineman: "Cant wait to line up with those eyes staring at the D-line"
The game itself was a joke--but we saw very little of the real O since "if guys from Towson and others were looking on (as suspected) didn't want to give them a peek at some of our very cool plays".

Reaction Score
Did Williams get a snap? If he did I missed it. They used Claxx and I really thought he may be the change of pace guy. The also threw to Claxx over the middle- 15 yds, which was very different.

Whatever McCumming's role he is an improved passer and maybe this helps down the line - time will tell. Can't be bad.

I liked what they did with Clax. Also a fade to the corner and a misdirection handoff. I like him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A few observations and comments I gleaned during the day---beyond the obvious.

Bobby Puyols is "much improved kicker from last year". As Chad recovers from surgery, that's great news.
O-Line is "very happy with the new system". We'll see how that converts into yardage.
Chandler Whitmer is "much more confident QB".
Deshon Foxx should be a standout.
Lyle M is a very happy camper---lots of new plays to get him ball in space.
Tim Willman is relentless--should see lots of playing time.
Shakim Phillips should have a breakout year and could be our "Anquan Bouldin".
Andreas Knappe will surprise on D.
Our receivers say our new and returning DB's are excellent. Adams and Stevenson continue to improve.
Graham Stewart comes to play on every down. Very Lutrus-like.
The new OC is universally appreciated.
Players love the new unis and helmets. O-lineman: "Cant wait to line up with those eyes staring at the D-line"
The game itself was a joke--but we saw very little of the real O since "if guys from Towson and others were looking on (as suspected) didn't want to give them a peek at some of our very cool plays".

Yeah I get the angle of secrecy. Yet I've seen a half dozen games on television. If you need secrecy to beat Towson, it's going to be a long season.

Reaction Score
Yeah I get the angle of secrecy. Yet I've seen a half dozen games on television. If you need secrecy to beat Towson, it's going to be a long season.
Ok what about Maryland Michigan. Or louisville

Reaction Score
It's nice that PP has found an excuse to hide behind, but the reality is that a big problem was just simple offensive blocking. That has nothing to do with creativity on offense or anything else.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ok what about Maryland Michigan. Or louisville

You are playing the secrecy angle? Well... Michigan, Maryland and Louisville all play better opponents who showed more in their spring game.

Really there were dozens of much better teams who had televised games, the idea UConn is sneaking up on anyone by playing in a cocoon is silly.

Reaction Score
You are playing the secrecy angle? Well... Michigan, Maryland and Louisville all play better opponents who showed more in their spring game.

Really there were dozens of much better teams who had televised games, the idea UConn is sneaking up on anyone by playing in a cocoon is silly.
Actually all teams review film of their opponent. Usually last two games

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Second biggest fear is that the team isn't any better than last year.

Biggest fear is they are better and we won't have any idea because the coaching is that horrid.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Actually all teams review film of their opponent. Usually last two games

Really teams review films? I guess the Big 10 and SEC are behind UConn... they stupidly hold spring games which are attended and televised.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Second biggest fear is that the team isn't any better than last year.

Biggest fear is they are better and we won't have any idea because the coaching is that horrid.

My actual fear is they are worse... and with a chance to prove me wrong publicly....

Reaction Score

This has nothing to do w/ Towson. This has to do with a remake of the offense that isn't complete yet. Read TJW/Whitmer/Cochran's comments from multiple articles over the last day. For example:

>>"This much we know: drawing many conclusions - or any conclusions - from what was mostly a waste of time comes at your own risk. The players and coaches admitted they revealed next to nothing about new offensive coordinator T.J. Weist's scheme. And so to conclude, based on the offense's aggregate two field goal output, that Whitmer, Cochran and Scott McCummings are offering more of the same might be tempting, but ultimately unfair.

Because how do we know? Based on a few conversations, the essential difference between Weist's offense of 2013 and George DeLeone's of 2012 is this: The responsibility shifts to the quarterbacks. DeLeone's system required the offensive linemen to make most of the calls. Now it's on the quarterbacks.

"It's a lot of passes, that's the biggest thing," Cochran said. "There's a lot more on us this year as quarterbacks in general. For sure. As quarterbacks, we have more responsibility this year with protections, the run game and we maybe don't have to rely on other guys. We've put in a lot of extra hours with coach Pasqualoni, (quarterback) coach (Shane) Day and coach Weist this spring. A lot more on our own. This spring has been a lot more work off the field."

Whitmer was reluctant, playfully so, to reveal too much. When pressed by reporters, he cracked, "I'll have to stay strong here." But later he added this: "(Weist) likes energy, up-tempo, being fast, flying around," he said. "It's something we needed to bring. We were a little lethargic last year. We didn't have enough energy. That's the biggest thing he's brought in, rather than playbook wise, it's just the mentality. Toughness."<<

Reaction Score
This has nothing to do w/ Towson. This has to do with a remake of the offense that isn't complete yet. Read TJW/Whitmer/Cochran's comments from multiple articles over the last day. For example:

>>"This much we know: drawing many conclusions - or any conclusions - from what was mostly a waste of time comes at your own risk. The players and coaches admitted they revealed next to nothing about new offensive coordinator T.J. Weist's scheme. And so to conclude, based on the offense's aggregate two field goal output, that Whitmer, Cochran and Scott McCummings are offering more of the same might be tempting, but ultimately unfair.

Because how do we know? Based on a few conversations, the essential difference between Weist's offense of 2013 and George DeLeone's of 2012 is this: The responsibility shifts to the quarterbacks. DeLeone's system required the offensive linemen to make most of the calls. Now it's on the quarterbacks.

"It's a lot of passes, that's the biggest thing," Cochran said. "There's a lot more on us this year as quarterbacks in general. For sure. As quarterbacks, we have more responsibility this year with protections, the run game and we maybe don't have to rely on other guys. We've put in a lot of extra hours with coach Pasqualoni, (quarterback) coach (Shane) Day and coach Weist this spring. A lot more on our own. This spring has been a lot more work off the field."

Whitmer was reluctant, playfully so, to reveal too much. When pressed by reporters, he cracked, "I'll have to stay strong here." But later he added this: "(Weist) likes energy, up-tempo, being fast, flying around," he said. "It's something we needed to bring. We were a little lethargic last year. We didn't have enough energy. That's the biggest thing he's brought in, rather than playbook wise, it's just the mentality. Toughness."<<
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak