Possible UConn 2021 Recruits | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Possible UConn 2021 Recruits

Reaction Score
Of course only UCONN could/would place such a burden on a recruits back, right?
I made that point in response to the claim that it made no sense for Boston to delay announcing where she will play. The same dynamic would exist (especially this year) whether her choice were UConn or Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd was the breakout star of Stephen Curry’s basketball camp.

Azzi Fudd is the 15-year-old girl who dominated Stephen Curry’s elite basketball camp

During the first day of Curry’s camp, Fudd, a standout shooter, tied for first place in a three-point competition, launching her into the finals on the third and final day. With only one other competitor in her way, she was crowned the winner, and afterward got the chance to compete in a challenge with Curry and his father, Dell.

Though she wasn’t able to take down Curry, she will almost certainly get another chance at it.

Azzi Fudd of St. John’s becomes first girl to play at Stephen Curry’s summer camp
But the question is did Steph take down Dell. Back in the day he had a sweet stroke.

Reaction Score
Bobby is that the proper spelling for verballed? I get a misspelling line underneath whether I use one L or two......:rolleyes:.....to answer your question, I have no idea but I would assume that if Boston had verballed to UConn or another school and she felt comfortable with her decision, she'd probably not be taking a number of official visits, especially to some "lesser" institutions of higher learning (in basketball) which I think she plans to do....
this get's us back to the idea that she doesn't want anybody to know of her decision....if you buy that argument, I would ask why wouldn't she want the basketball world to know?
I have no idea why, but in the last 10 years or so teen aged, recruited athletes do some odd stuff. Not sure how often it's done in WBB but in football it's pretty common to give a coach a silent verbal but still take all their official visits because they love the attention and free meals. May be not as common for WBB because of the limited number of recruits and possible reluctance of coaches to hold spots for them but who knows? I guess with the plusses and minuses of social media anything's possible.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Bobby is that the proper spelling for verballed? I get a misspelling line underneath whether I use one L or two......:rolleyes:.....to answer your question, I have no idea but I would assume that if Boston had verballed to UConn or another school and she felt comfortable with her decision, she'd probably not be taking a number of official visits, especially to some "lesser" institutions of higher learning (in basketball) which I think she plans to do....
this get's us back to the idea that she doesn't want anybody to know of her decision....if you buy that argument, I would ask why wouldn't she want the basketball world to know?
Okay, Charlie, since you brought up grammar, what's with all the .........? Three dots is an ellipses; four, five or six dots just a distraction from what is generally interesting and often provocative commentary.

Reaction Score
Okay, Charlie, since you brought up grammar, what's with all the ....? Three dots is an ellipses; four, five or six dots just a distraction from what is generally interesting and often provocative commentary.

my apologies but I like to leave about 8-10 dots between thoughts for what I perceive as better readability without resorting to run on sentences or new paragraphs.........I for one find "correct" multiple paragraph reading daunting but then again as you so rightly observed, grammar has never been my "thing"..........:(

Reaction Score
Victor......to say that I'm a pessimist is a huge understatement and I'll gladly admit that I have been happily shocked and amazed with Geno's ability to bring in so many top ranked players over the years......that said,(A) something seems a bit different about some of the top 2019 and 2020/21 recruits, namely the very tight relationships between SB, PB, and now AB.....(B)since Brunelle is a Notre Dame commit and these kids seem to want to spend so much time together on and off the court, it only stands to reason that this gives ND a bit of an edge..(C)the fact that Boston has not verballed by now to the school closest to her, with the best coaching staff in the country and with a prime starting spot ready made also seems quite odd to me......some say it's because she doesn't wan't to be a "marked woman" on and off the court as a UConn commit...some how I feel Ms. Boston can take care of those kinds of slings and arrows with out much difficulty...many say the friendship concept is a big nothing..I certainly hope they're right..

(A) Maybe this "very tight relationship" isn't as rare or unusual as you imagine. Maybe it's just that they use social media a lot. Can you assert as fact that there haven't been other "relationships in the past? I don't think so.

(B) Brunelle is most certainly NOT a ND committ. Does the name Collier sound familiar?

(C) Odd? Remember Wilson? Another recruit who, despite visiting SC for endless games and unofficials, waited till the spring of her senior year to announce her pick of SC, what she later admitted was always her school. If I was 17 and had a shot at visiting 4 of the top wcbb schools in the country, all expenses paid, to listen to some of the top coaches tell me I was the next big thing I would want that experience. This is a girl who was brought up in the VI's and goes to school in Worcester MA, not exactly a cultural hub. Maybe she wants to see a little of the country and maybe she just wants to be sure of what she's doing. Or maybe she promised her family to wait. Not odd at all. And maybe she hasn't decided.

I am not confident that she's [Fudd] UConn bound so I'm moving on looking for other players that seem more likely to be UConn locks.

From what I see posted UConn is looking at a lot of other recruits besides the 5 or 6 being discussed. And except for Fudd, the rising sophomore class isn't ready for offers. If you want Geno offering freshmen/sophomores it would seem you are in favor of Geno adopting the Walz method, offering to 3 times the number you need and offering when they enter high school? That's what you sound like.

There are 19 players listed on the recruiting page as being recruited by UConn in the 19/20/21 classes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
(A) Maybe this "very tight relationship" isn't as rare or unusual as you imagine. Maybe it's just that they use social media a lot. Can you assert as fact that there haven't been other "relationships in the past? I don't think so.

(B) Brunelle is most certainly NOT a ND committ. Does the name Collier sound familiar?

(C) Odd? Remember Wilson? Another recruit who, despite visiting SC for endless games and unofficials, waited till the spring of her senior year to announce her pick of SC, what she later admitted was always her school. If I was 17 and had a shot at visiting 4 of the top wcbb schools in the country, all expenses paid, to listen to some of the top coaches tell me I was the next big thing I would want that experience. This is a girl who was brought up in the VI's and goes to school in Worcester MA, not exactly a cultural hub. Maybe she wants to see a little of the country and maybe she just wants to be sure of what she's doing. Or maybe she promised her family to wait. Not odd at all. And maybe she hasn't decided.

From what I see posted UConn is looking at a lot of other recruits besides the 5 or 6 being discussed. And except for Fudd, the rising sophomore class isn't ready for offers. If you want Geno offering freshmen/sophomores it would seem you are in favor of Geno adopting the Walz method, offering to 3 times the number you need and offering when they enter high school? That's what you sound like.

There are 19 players listed on the recruiting page as being recruited by UConn in the 19/20/21 classes.

A) No doubt there have been other tight cliques........just not as public due to social media

B) I'll bet you $100 to your favorite charity that Sam Brunelle attends Notre Dame

C) You could very well be correct but I think it's perfectly reasonable to question whether Boston is a UConn lean at this point as many seem to think..........

The recruiting site needs to be updated a bit..........no Correa, no Osbourne in the 2019 class.............clearly there are other players to consider in the 2020 class, however if UConn doesn't land a quality point guard from that class it would be a major disappointment.......and I agree it's too soon to be offering the 2021 class..........as I've said many times, UConn could cover it's bases with a few additional highly targeted offers (as they did with Aubrey Griffin) without having to become Louisville, Baylor etc.......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
...as I've said many times, UConn could cover it's bases with a few additional highly targeted offers (as they did with Aubrey Griffin) without having to become Louisville, Baylor etc..
And as we keep having to remind you "covering bases" is not what UCONN does.
Aubrey Griffin was offered because the UCONN staff thoroughly evaluated her and thought she would be able to make a contribution at UCONN. Stop making stuff up!

Reaction Score
Aubrey Griffin was offered because the UCONN staff thoroughly evaluated her and thought she would be able to make a contribution at UCONN. Stop making stuff up!

Are you're telling me that if UConn had received commitments from Jones and Horston, Griffin still would have been offered? I don't view the term covering bases as a negative..........it simply means that if there are multiple uncommitted players that meet your high standards you can offer more then one at the same position.........seems perfectly logical

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are you're telling me that if UConn had received commitments from Jones and Horston, Griffin still would have been offered?
Nice but unnecessary & false straw man.

I don't view the term covering bases as a negative
The term is neither negative nor positive it is SIMPLY NOT WHAT UCONN DOES!

....seems perfectly logical
Perfectly logical if you are Louisville, it is SIMPLY NOT WHAT UCONN DOES!
Why did you pick this morning to backslide? You were doing so much better last week.
much easier for a team like UConn as they offer very few players and tend to wait until they are sure about a recruit......of course you can do it like Louisville and just offer everybody good and let the chips fall where they may....

Reaction Score
Nice but unnecessary & false straw man.

The term is neither negative nor positive it is SIMPLY NOT WHAT UCONN DOES!

Perfectly logical if you are Louisville, it is SIMPLY NOT WHAT UCONN DOES!
Why did you pick this morning to backslide? You were doing so much better last week.

I don't feel I'm backsliding...............I have acknowledged that Geno's offers historically are few and far between and that clearly has worked for him..............just pleading for a couple more offers when appropriate (as in the case of Ms. Griffin who's game I have been championing for quite some time) just in case the biggest fish go elsewhere................

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Have to admit, the tete-a-tete between Charlie and Coco always is entertaining and definitely has emerged as a Boneyard guilty pleasure of mine. Don't stop! :)

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I asked these questions last week but they went unanswered. Noting that several of the Boneyard cognoscenti have visited this site recently and validating the observation that I am annoyingly stubborn and persistent, I will query again:

What constitutes an offer? Is there a written document or is it merely the head coach saying to the recruit, "We're offering you a scholarship to play basketball here." If it's the latter, then I can understand the uncertainty regarding whether Brunelle was offered a scholarship to UConn. But if it's the former, then there's a paper trail.

How is an offer withdrawn? Verbally? In writing?

Regards some of the high-profile players on the U17 team, is there precedence for this international bonding process leading to core members choosing the same college?

Can a player under the age of 18 commit to a school without the blessing/signature of her parent(s)?

Reaction Score
Have to admit, the tete-a-tete between Charlie and Coco always is entertaining and definitely has emerged as a Boneyard guilty pleasure of mine. Don't stop! :)

glad you enjoy it.............for me it's like having a conversation with F. Lee Bailey........:rolleyes:..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't feel I'm backsliding.....I have acknowledged that Geno's offers historically are few and far between and that clearly has worked for him....just pleading for a couple more offers when appropriate (as in the case of Ms. Griffin who's game I have been championing for quite some time) just in case the biggest fish go elsewhere......
You are definitely backsliding. "Appropriate" offers will be determined by the UCONN regardless of your pleadings. UCONN is not as concerned about the size of the fish coming into the pond because it has the largest pond. The largest pond allows for the most growth. Never measure you fish until after they have actually entered a pond and had a chance to grow.

Reaction Score
You are definitely backsliding. "Appropriate" offers will be determined by the UCONN regardless of your pleadings. UCONN is not as concerned about the size of the fish coming into the pond because it has the largest pond. The largest pond allows for the most growth. Never measure you fish until after they have actually entered a pond and had a chance to grow.

OK..............I give up.............the Gods have spoken.........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I made that point in response to the claim that it made no sense for Boston to delay announcing where she will play. The same dynamic would exist (especially this year) whether her choice were UConn or Notre Dame.
Not sure all this talk about committing matters. While I would love to see Boston (and others) commit, some seem to be reading into every minor detail. Likely a result of the "slow season." My take is that if you were about 17, why wouldn't you wait and take in the visits and learn everything possible regarding the Top D1 landscape.

Reaction Score
Not sure all this talk about committing matters. While I would love to see Boston (and others) commit, some seem to be reading into every minor detail. Likely a result of the "slow season." My take is that if you were about 17, why wouldn't you wait and take in the visits and learn everything possible regarding the Top D1 landscape.

I agree with you.............for me these players have every right to deal with their recruiting as they see fit..........(my daughter is going through the process at a lesser level right now).........my contention which is often criticized by a certain BY member, is that since there are no sure things among these great players why not offer an additional high quality recruit or two so that you are not left in the lurch if your original choices go elsewhere...........there's a big difference between that strategy and the Louisville strategy which is to offer virtually every top 35 player and see what sticks........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I asked these questions last week but they went unanswered. Noting that several of the Boneyard cognoscenti have visited this site recently and validating the observation that I am annoyingly stubborn and persistent, I will query again:

What constitutes an offer? Is there a written document or is it merely the head coach saying to the recruit, "We're offering you a scholarship to play basketball here." If it's the latter, then I can understand the uncertainty regarding whether Brunelle was offered a scholarship to UConn. But if it's the former, then there's a paper trail.

How is an offer withdrawn? Verbally? In writing?

Regards some of the high-profile players on the U17 team, is there precedence for this international bonding process leading to core members choosing the same college?

Can a player under the age of 18 commit to a school without the blessing/signature of her parent(s)?
My apologies. I was on vacation last week on One Happy Island.

Q: What constitutes an offer?
A: A scholarship offer can take the format of phone call (least formal), face to face conversation, or at the most a formal letter on Official School stationery.
Regardless of format, an offer is not legally binding to either party until the signing of a National Letter of Intent for all NCAA institutions with the exception of the Ivy League Schools and the Service Academies.
Typically an offer covers tuition, room & board, & meals and is renewable each years at the schools discretion. There has been much recent discussion about stipends and some conferences have looked into making scholarships for more than 1 years but generally stipend-less and 1 year renewable are the NCAA norm.

Q:How is an offer withdrawn? Verbally? In writing?
The format of the outbound offer determines how the offer can be withdrawn.
If the school bothered to send a letter (not sure if by practice or by law) it must send a letter withdrawing the offer. A couple of notable cases in litigation involving football players who received offer letters and the school did not send a letter withdrawing the offer.
Q: Is there precedence for this international bonding process leading to core members choosing the same college?
A: Yes. In 2010 Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck, Kaleena Mosqeuda-Lewis
played on the same USA basketball team U17? in France? BTW Jewell Loyd was on that team also so let's consider her the one that got away.

Q: Can a player under the age of 18 commit to a school without the blessing/signature of her parent(s)?
A: I don't know. The general practice is for the parents to sign a NLI. Both of my girls were 18 when I signed with them.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
My apologies. I was on vacation last week on One Happy Island.

Q: What constitutes an offer?
A: A scholarship offer can take the format of phone call (least formal), face to face conversation, or at the most a formal letter on Official School stationery.
Regardless of format, an offer is not legally binding to either party until the signing of a National Letter of Intent for all NCAA institutions with the exception of the Ivy League Schools and the Service Academies.
Typically an offer covers tuition, room & board, & meals and is renewable each years at the schools discretion. There has been much recent discussion about stipends and some conferences have looked into making scholarships for more than 1 years but generally stipend-less and 1 year renewable are the NCAA norm.

Q:How is an offer withdrawn? Verbally? In writing?
The format of the outbound offer determines how the offer can be withdrawn.
If the school bothered to send a letter (not sure if by practice or by law) it must send a letter withdrawing the offer. A couple of notable cases in litigation involving football players who received offer letters and the school did not send a letter withdrawing the offer.
Q: Is there precedence for this international bonding process leading to core members choosing the same college?
A: Yes. In 2010 Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck, Kaleena Mosqeuda-Lewis
played on the same USA basketball team U17? in France? BTW Jewell Loyd was on that team also so let's consider her the one that got away.

Q: Can a player under the age of 18 commit to a school without the blessing/signature of her parent(s)?
A: I don't know. The general practice is for the parents to sign a NLI. Both of my girls were 18 when I signed with them.
Thank you!

Reaction Score
Personally I find it boring and repetitive.
I'd prefer threads like this add at least a little something new to the likelihood of a specific recruits thinking or choices.
Both of you have your opinions or perceptions which has been well stated many, many times.
I open threads like this hoping something new and interesting has occurred.
I realize it's the off season, as well as many are very anxious or at least anticipatory about the most important, needed recruits thinking and / or decision process but often this sounds like beating a dead horse.
Sorry as I don't mean to be critical just would like to learn something!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Personally I find it boring and repetitive.
I'd prefer threads like this add at least a little something new to the likelihood of a specific recruits thinking or choices.
Both of you have your opinions or perceptions which has been well stated many, many times.
I open threads like this hoping something new and interesting has occurred.
I realize it's the off season, as well as many are very anxious or at least anticipatory about the most important, needed recruits thinking and / or decision process but often this sounds like beating a dead horse.
Sorry as I don't mean to be critical just would like to learn something!
Bronx23

I enthusiastically agree with 50% of your critique...........;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
New name on the menu, 6-2 center Jillian Hollingshead, Holy Innocents high school in Georgia. Info on her in the next set of posts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom