• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I guess I don’t see why the Big 12 will need to take anyone as a basketball-only school.
I'm with you. I literally only even suggested it because of all the Gonzaga smoke. It's be weird to just have Gonzaga. To me, Gonzaga is unlikely, but if you have Gonzaga, you probably have an eastern equivalent.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
the deep amber alert GIF by The Deep (Series)

I have it from a very good source that we are officially leaving the Big East for the Big 12. No longer a rumor

My two big questions that I'm trying to figure out: 1) when is this happening, 2024-2025 already or further away. 2) Who else is joining, anyone else from the Northeast?
I don’t think this post is getting enough attention :eek:

Reaction Score
the deep amber alert GIF by The Deep (Series)

I have it from a very good source that we are officially leaving the Big East for the Big 12. No longer a rumor

My two big questions that I'm trying to figure out: 1) when is this happening, 2024-2025 already or further away. 2) Who else is joining, anyone else from the Northeast?
Did you get the deluxe hot wax and undercarriage wash?

Reaction Score
If you need subscribers, picking and choosing is a bad strategy. Yormark needs markets, not a team here and a team there.
I think it's ironic to a degree how the argument against Whalers 2.0 overlapping NYC and Boston is an argument in favor of UConn.

Reaction Score
I think it's ironic to a degree how the argument against Whalers 2.0 overlapping NYC and Boston is an argument in favor of UConn.
Would be great to have Whalers 2.0 but I think it would require a new arena.

Reaction Score
Car washes aside, a lot of reporter insiders say UConn and Colorado are under heavy discussions right now. The last time the B12 got close to UConn, it got cold feet at the last second. But there's so much chatter from actual paid reporters on Twitter that it's kind of hard to ignore. UConn would also be able to move on immediately since the exit fee payout isn't tied to any notification announcement.

Reaction Score
If the B12 brings in any school for 1 sport only, it better have a great payout structure that everyone aligns on. Just sounds like a recipe for disaster IMO. Having separate TV contracts for revenue generating sports is a potential pathway there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn would also be able to move on immediately since the exit fee payout isn't tied to any notification announcement.
is there a notification requirement in the Big East bylaws? I've been trying to look for that but I can't get a copy of it.

Reaction Score
The B12 money will dry up because it just simply won't be a good enough football conference long term. Once Texas and Oklahoma leave, who is left that anyone gives a crap about in football? B12 would have to add Oregon, Utah, and Colorado (w/Deion) to draw any sort of interest to the conference.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, a conference can't offer a school a basketball only invitation. Schools have to be a member of a conference for all sports that the conference offers, or be independent. They can be football only (or any other sport) only if their primary conference doesn't offer that sport.

Reaction Score
That is a key human trait, IMO. Sure people want money and extrinsic rewards for themselves and for the conference in this particular case, but there is more to it than that. Yormark is paid handsomely and most likely has more money he knows what to do with, but being the best at something is a huge ego boost.
I think Yormark is positioning the BIG 12 to be by far the best basketball conference because this helps ensure them as a power conference when the power conferences break from the NCAA and set up their own basketball tournament. If the majority of top basketball schools are outside of the SEC and BIG 10, then it will be difficult to break away without including the BIG 12.

Reaction Score
The B12 money will dry up because it just simply won't be a good enough football conference long term. Once Texas and Oklahoma leave, who is left that anyone gives a crap about in football? B12 would have to add Oregon, Utah, and Colorado (w/Deion) to draw any sort of interest to the conference.
Are people this dense? The Big12 just renegotiated a contract that pays damn well, with the full understanding that Texas and Oklahoma are leaving. Newsflash. There are still programs there people want to see.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, a conference can't offer a school a basketball only invitation. Schools have to be a member of a conference for all sports that the conference offers, or be independent. They can be football only (or any other sport) only if their primary conference doesn't offer that sport.
Explain NDs work around? I don't doubt you, i just know ND has avoided this.

Reaction Score
Explain NDs work around? I don't doubt you, i just know ND has avoided this.
They're in the ACC for all sports except football (independent) and hockey (Big 10), which the ACC doesn't offer. They can't join the Big 10 for football only, as an example.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom