• Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It will still be the ACC. Im saying the current membership breaks up. 3 or 4 teams leave. By new conference I meant a conference with new members.

How would it be a ploy if schools left the conference? Not getting you.
Either I misinterpreted your initial post or you subsequently added the few teams leaving.

I personally don't see dissolution of the conference as a possibility as it would leave any school without a prearranged invitation to a new conference in the wilderness. No school wants this and I can't see schools that are confident they'll eventually get an invitation to the B1G or SEC voting for dissolution as those invitations are likely years out.

The ACC is making noise solely because they can only make noise. Nothing can be done to change their situation but they have alumni bases that a few complaining schools need to be able to tell "we are trying everything we can" to keep them satisfied.

The schools crying the most (FSU, Clemson) only have the B-12 as a possible option and going through what it would take to gain their freedom wouldn't be worth the end result. The schools that may have options (three or four in NC & Va) know they are more than half a decade away from their options materializing. The rest of the conference either us hopeful that they can land on their feet or knows they will take a step down once the conference GOR expires.

ND is the only school that has no concerns. The second they say they'll join a conference for all sports the B1G will drop everything and add them. ND is in less if a rush than the B1G.

The ACC will remain as it is until the end of the GOR is within sight.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No, I wouldn't assume that. I can think of any number of reasons why one continues to lose money.

1. President and Board are ensconced making a ton of money and they don't want to rock the boat. Some of the Presidents are all, fine, fine, fine, whatever, I'm making $1m. The amount of time Presidents spend on sports is much less than the ratio of the AD budget to the overall budget.

2. A school could fund athletics waiting for an opportunity to move to a more lucrative conference.

What do you believe is the value here exactly?

I also note that the topic here has changed. We were talking about the state subsidy.
You do realize presidents don't make these decisions unilaterally, right? Is it your assumption that the board is also not doing its job? Because it kind of seems like your logic here is anyone who doesn't agree with your premise, which frankly isn't mathematically sound, isn't doing their job. That would seem a convenient but disingenuous point of view.

We have meandered throughout this series of posts, but when you jump to a different topic I'm more than happy to follow along. I think we're pretty much done on the notion that academics fund the athletic department. Again, academics doesn't even fully fund academics, so it's clearly not funding anything else.

I always enjoy your insight on the world of higher academics. On this particular issue, I think you are suffering from myopia a bit.

Reaction Score
UConn has to be part of the expansion announcement with Colorado because once that domino falls the PAC will implode.

Zona, ASU, and Utah will be begging to follow CO.

UW, Oregon, Stanford and Cal will be pleading with the BIG10 and offering to take 1/2 shares.

Reaction Score
It would be the most UConn thing ever if we are being used as leverage just to force the Arizona schools into changing directions and ditching the PAC for the B12.

Maybe, but I do believe B12 commissioner Yormark genuinely wants a piece of the NYC area, it's all about conquering new territory. He also values basketball and thinks basketball TV contracts are undervalued. If Gonzaga is being considered as a hybrid addition then you can bet Nova and St Johns would also be considered. There is value in being the best at something and maybe he wants to build the best basketball conference.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If it happens I hope they look into other eastern schools. The travel will suck as it is right now, so if they only add more west coast schools that'll make it even tougher to swallow.

Reaction Score
I was at a party this past weekend with someone involved in athletics at UConn. We got to talking about the Big East and other conferences and where UConn stood. Stated that Big 12 was a very distinct and real possibility and if offered, UConn is going.

Also stated that it wouldn’t particularly affect with what sport he’s closely tied to which I found interesting. (I won’t say the sport due to giving away the source)

Reaction Score
I was at a party this past weekend with someone involved in athletics at UConn. We got to talking about the Big East and other conferences and where UConn stood. Stated that Big 12 was a very distinct and real possibility and if offered, UConn is going.

Also stated that it wouldn’t particularly affect with what sport he’s closely tied to which I found interesting. (I won’t say the sport due to giving away the source)
Hockey

Reaction Score
This seems like he means there’s an even bigger plan in place once the two additions go through. Assuming that means more northern schools and that’s why it will eventually make more sense?

What other Northern schools are available?

Reaction Score
Maybe, but I do believe B12 commissioner Yormark genuinely wants a piece of the NYC area, it's all about conquering new territory. He also values basketball and thinks basketball TV contracts are undervalued. If Gonzaga is being considered as a hybrid addition then you can bet Nova and St Johns would also be considered. There is value in being the best at something and maybe he wants to build the best basketball conference.
He would be stupid not to. It's insane we've been left out all this time.

Reaction Score
It would be the most UConn thing ever if we are being used as leverage just to force the Arizona schools into changing directions and ditching the PAC for the B12.
Yeah when it comes to conference realignment expect the unexpected and that nothing truly happens until it really is official.

Reaction Score
That is a key human trait, IMO. Sure people want money and extrinsic rewards for themselves and for the conference in this particular case, but there is more to it than that. Yormark is paid handsomely and most likely has more money he knows what to do with, but being the best at something is a huge ego boost.

Reaction Score
I honestly don’t have the slightest clue, but he had to mean something along those lines right? That’s the only way I can see it really “making sense”
There's been Gonzaga smoke for a while. If there's any truth there, they ain't taking just one basketball only. So...maybe Gonzaga-Villanova? Maybe two other BE schools (SJU-Georgetown?) to take the three biggest BE brands (UConn-Nova-Georgetown) and a NYC school?

To be fair, I don't believe UConn is going to the B12 (though we'd have to do it and I wouldn't be too broken up about it). A scenario that ends with two divisions that look like: UConn/SJU/Nova/Georgetown/UCF/Cincy/WVU doesn't suck, though that's just 7 schools. There'd need to be 2 more in that scenario...

Reaction Score
There's been Gonzaga smoke for a while. If there's any truth there, they ain't taking just one basketball only. So...maybe Gonzaga-Villanova? Maybe two other BE schools (SJU-Georgetown?) to take the three biggest BE brands (UConn-Nova-Georgetown) and a NYC school?

To be fair, I don't believe UConn is going to the B12 (though we'd have to do it and I wouldn't be too broken up about it). A scenario that ends with two divisions that look like: UConn/SJU/Nova/Georgetown/UCF/Cincy/WVU doesn't suck, though that's just 7 schools. There'd need to be 2 more in that scenario...
Syracuse and Pitt somehow find their way in there and I think just about every UConn fan would be on board with that scenario. Literally just the old BE lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom