Pete Thamel: Is the Big 12 Set for Major Expansion? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Pete Thamel: Is the Big 12 Set for Major Expansion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What has changed since then? Chatter on twitter?

If anything you are seeing cord cutting cut into the profits of the likes of espn. We could be seeing the last stages of people getting into the "club". The cable money could be drying up. I don't understand this idea that nothing will happen without uconn. Everything has happened without uconn to date.

People have been waiting for Jesus to return for over 2000 years now. I'd give my left nut for Big 12 invite right now.
the b1g contract negotiations and the need for the content, big 12 and acc instability, espn money may be drying up which will allow other players in which again will increase the need for content.......................it looks nothing like it did in 2012. besides, most people believed after louisville that nothing would happen until 2018. last i checked, we aren't there yet. last i checked, uconn has done nothing but improved its resume.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
East - UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, WVU, USF, UCF, Memphis, Iowa State

That's almost AAC level of boring.

edit: for hoops.

The divisions are football only. Hoops would play everybody at least once, including KU.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Man, I hope momentum builds for UConn to the B12. It makes so much sense because of the NY and NE market share we would bring. I would not be opposed to a home game or two at Yankee Stadium per year. It would force the B1G and the ACC to finally make a decision on us, both of which are far better fits than the Big 12.
I hope so too, especially for the last sentence. I think the last sentence has a better shot if the process plays out over a couple years instead of the next 12 months.

Dooley

Reaction Score
An eastern "pod" of WVU, Cincinnati and UCONN just makes so much sense that it's bound not to happen. I'm bracing for Cincinnati and Houston because, you know, not every school inside Texas is a member of the B12 quite yet.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Swofford was probably told at the Bohemian Grove to take Louisville instead of UConn. :p
A bunch of my high school friends worked at Bohemian Grove every summer. Interesting place to be sure.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that one of the two main reasons (geography being the other) that people dismiss us from the Big 12 talk is that our football program is garbage. However, that is not true. We are average. Since joining FBS in 2000 as a transitional member, we have a record of 91-103, which equates to 5.7 wins a year. If you take out the first two years (as we were transitional and not full-time FBS), we are 86-86 as a full-time member of FBS, which equates to 6.1 wins a year. Finally, if you take out the Pasqualoni + Diaco years, we were 65-46 between 2002 and 2010, equating to 7.2 wins a year. Ultimately, we are a 6 to 7 win program.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that one of the two main reasons (geography being the other) that people dismiss us from the Big 12 talk is that our football program is garbage. However, that is not true. We are average. Since joining FBS in 2000 as a transitional member, we have a record of 91-103, which equates to 5.7 wins a year. If you take out the first two years (as we were transitional and not full-time FBS), we are 86-86 as a full-time member of FBS, which equates to 6.1 wins a year. Finally, if you take out the Pasqualoni + Diaco years, we were 65-46 between 2002 and 2010, equating to 7.2 wins a year. Ultimately, we are a 6 to 7 win program.

Completely agree. Our football has never been nor will never be an Alabama. But it's been more than solid and, ironically, had the most success as an infant member of a BCS conference. There is absolutely room for "basketball schools" in the P5 as long as they have a competitive football program. Ours has certainly been competitive over the entire D-1 body of work. Not only that, but our program has put plenty of players in the NFL and that speaks to our facilities.

I can buy geography, football recruiting territory and culture as being detriments for UConn to the B12. But I can't and won't buy football prestige as being a big negative, especially when that conference already has perennial losers like Kansas and Iowa State in it.

Reaction Score
Man, I hope momentum builds for UConn to the B12. It makes so much sense because of the NY and NE market share we would bring. I would not be opposed to a home game or two at Yankee Stadium per year. It would force the B1G and the ACC to finally make a decision on us, both of which are far better fits than the Big 12.
If you are talking Bevo or the Sooners paying a visit, I'd hold out for MetLife. A UConn home game there would be a sellout (but the visiting team's colors would prevail in 705 of the seats). UConn's percentage of the gate on that one game would substantial.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Another thing: if you combine the style of play predominantly played in the B12 with UConn (the only east coast team that plays B12 football), something tells me more than enough top recruits from NJ and PA would suddenly add UConn to their top 5 lists. B12 style of play appeals to TV and recruits and with the right coach who can recruit (ahem...we already have him), we could very well start pulling some of the highly coveted talent in the northeast and mid-Atlantic states.

Reaction Score
Another thing: if you combine the style of play predominantly played in the B12 with UConn (the only east coast team that plays B12 football), something tells me more than enough top recruits from NJ and PA would suddenly add UConn to their top 5 lists. B12 style of play appeals to TV and recruits and with the right coach who can recruit (ahem...we already have him), we could very well start pulling some of the highly coveted talent in the northeast and mid-Atlantic states.

How is our style of play similar to the Big 12? Big 12 teams put up 50-70 points per game on offense.

We do that in a month.

We may have an advantage in the sense that we would be one of maybe 2 teams in the conference that play defense, but I'm not sure how you can say that we play Big 12 football right now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How is our style of play similar to the Big 12? Big 12 teams put up 50-70 points per game on offense.

We do that in a month.

We may have an advantage in the sense that we would be one of maybe 2 teams in the conference that play defense, but I'm not sure how you can say that we play Big 12 football right now.

He didn't.

His syntax wasn't perfect, but neither was your comprehension.

He meant that if we were in the Big 12 and presumably playing like a Big 12 team, recruits would be favorably inclined towards us.

Reaction Score
He didn't.

He meant that if we were in the Big 12 and presumably playing like a Big 12 team, recruits would be favorably inclined towards us.

You're right. Sorry, @Dooley, totally misread your post.

One Love.

Dooley

Reaction Score
He didn't.

I need to hire you as my ghost writer.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If he actually thought we played Big 12-like football now, we would have to schedule an intervention and, most likely, a lobotomy.

If I actually thought we played Big 12-like football now, nobody better touch anything! I'm perfectly happy in my own delusional land of offensive ignorance. I thought that our 16-10 St Pete loss, or was it our 56-50 loss?, was perfectly entertaining.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Btw, I love this perpetual rumor of FedEx giving $50M to a conference to take Memphis.

It's been around since the Big East days. How that ever was passed off as having any semblance of truth is actually remarkable.

Reaction Score
Btw, I love this perpetual rumor of FedEx giving $50M to a conference to take Memphis.

It's been around since the Big East days. How that ever was passed off as having any semblance of truth is actually remarkable.

Thought the rumor was the CEO of FedEx would give the money?

Publicly-traded companies just can't GIVE $50 million to a sports conference, nor could the CEO unilaterally agree to sponsor them.

Reaction Score
A bunch of my high school friends worked at Bohemian Grove every summer. Interesting place to be sure.
Wish I could hang out at the old growth forest there. ;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Thought the rumor was the CEO of FedEx would give the money?

Publicly-traded companies just can't GIVE $50 million to a sports conference, nor could the CEO unilaterally agree to sponsor them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...illions-to-buy-Memphis-a-bet?urn=ncaaf,247948

It's been around for many years. The idea was centered on FedEx pulled Orange Bowl sponsorship and would use up to $10m per year to bowls affiliated with a conference Memphis was invited to join.

Reaction Score
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...illions-to-buy-Memphis-a-bet?urn=ncaaf,247948

It's been around for many years. The idea was centered on FedEx pulled Orange Bowl sponsorship and would use up to $10m per year to bowls affiliated with a conference Memphis was invited to join.

Thanks for the link.

Still think it would be next to an impossible sell for FedEx Board of Directors to tell shareholders that they are spending $10m year in sponsorship money for the purpose of getting a second tier state university from Tennessee into a better Athletic Conference.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the link.

Still think it would be next to an impossible sell for FedEx Board of Directors to tell shareholders that they are spending $10m year in sponsorship money for the purpose of getting a second tier state university from Tennessee into a better Athletic Conference.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If the Big 12 tabs us and Cincinnati (if BYU plays hardball), what would be the domino effect (s) on the G5?

Personally, I actually think the American could be severely damaged by us and Cincinnati leaving, so much so brand-wise that the MW could come calling to get into Texas and steal Houston and SMU, and this could result in Navy going back to being independent because the big draw for them in the American was recruiting in Texas (hence why they're in the Western division). That would leave the American with 7.

The conference would then have to expand to 12 or 14 (probably the latter to match the MW). So who would they go with? If seven, I would think Rice, Marshall, Ohio, Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, Western Kentucky, and Northern Illinois.

That would leave the MAC with 10, C-USA with 9, and the Sun Belt with 10 (as rumors are they won't renew Idaho or New Mexico St.).

C-USA probably still has the most sway here so they would likely add five schools: Appalachian St., Louisiana Lafayette, South Alabama, Georgia Southern, and Coastal Carolina.

At this point, the AAC, MW, and C-USA all have 14, the MAC has 10, and the Sun Belt would only have 5 members (therefore not making it a conference anymore). I could see the Sun Belt folding, but what would happen to their schools? Would they drop down to FCS? What about UMass?

Finally, this plan would be good for the G4s as the money would be split 4 ways instead of 5.

Reaction Score

Yeah, they could prop up the Memphis AD, for quite a while. In the BE days, I thought the number was 100 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom