Pete Thamel: Is the Big 12 Set for Major Expansion? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Pete Thamel: Is the Big 12 Set for Major Expansion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If 50 MM from Fed Ex could get Memphis in the Big 12 it would have been done a long time ago.

If you young guys think the board would be involved in such a small decision you need to come back in a few years and reassess. That is absolutely nothing at a corp that size. Half a**ed IT projects can cost that much.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you are talking Bevo or the Sooners paying a visit, I'd hold out for MetLife...

Nope, that game goes in East Hartford. You have to throw the state a bone for paying for the expansion.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Great idea. Let's get the state involved and demand Texas play us in East Hartford or we walk away, a la Notre Dame. Because that worked out so well.
It's too bad we could never get any elite schools to come to the Rent. I once had a dream that Michigan played at the Rent. It was really cool, Jesus Shuttlesworth even made an appearance.

Reaction Score
It's too bad we could never get any elite schools to come to the Rent. I once had a dream that Michigan played at the Rent. It was really cool, Jesus Shuttlesworth even made an appearance.

That was an aberration. UConn needs to sell its soul. If Texas and Oklahoma say your first two home games are in Austin and Norman, you smile and say sure

Reaction Score
That was an aberration. UConn needs to sell its soul. If Texas and Oklahoma say your first two home games are in Austin and Norman, you smile and say sure
No doubt. Or at least have 1-2 "home games" a year at Yankee Stadium or Gillete or something like that.

Reaction Score

So just so I understand, if we somehow get into the Big 12, UConn should commit to playing one home game a season - sometimes possibly two - against Oklahoma and Texas in NYC or Mass?

Give up all the revenue of a sellout at the Rent once or twice a year and give the school only 4-5 true home games a season?

This isn't a one-off neutral site game we are hypothetically talking about it's a conference match up. It would be a long term disaster to agree to this.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
So just so I understand, if we somehow get into the Big 12, UConn should commit to playing one home game a season - sometimes possibly two - against Oklahoma and Texas in NYC or Mass?

Give up all the revenue of a sellout at the Rent once or twice a year and give the school only 4-5 true home games a season?

This isn't a one-off neutral site game we are hypothetically talking about it's a conference match up. It would be a long term disaster to agree to this.
If we play one game a year at MetLife in seasons when we would otherwise have 7 home games, it would be a plus as we would increase our presence in NYC.

Reaction Score
The only reason we get into the B12 is for the new markets we provide.
So bringing UConn to Austin or Norman is defeating that objective.
You alternate Oklahoma and Texas playing on the new expanded stage.
They will be fighting to see who goes first.
Most Likely NYC, with Two other teams alternating on a Boston game
The B12 just doubled its viewing audience.
Let's not pretend our best asset isn't market access.

How else does the B12 become a national conference?
We actually have more to offer that conference than we will get in return.
I'am still holding out for the B1G for a huge amount of reasons.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Conference games should be played in conference stadiums, but if the condition was for UConn to play 1 or 2 games a year in NYC for B12 membership next year, then I guess that I'm packing up my SUV and driving to New York once or twice every fall. We have absolutely zero negotiating power to join a P5 conference. They tell us to jump, we ask how high. That's how this works.

Reaction Score

Yeah, and Michigan did everything they possibly could to get out of it. Let me know when they're coming back. Point is, we are in no position to dictate a G-D thing. The Big12 isn't stupid and will make a fair and equitable offer to whomever they decide to add but there may be some requirements attached to it. Let the idiots in the state house get involved and I guarantee the Big12 moves on in a hurry.

Reaction Score
Conference games should be played in conference stadiums, but if the condition was for UConn to play 1 or 2 games a year in NYC for B12 membership next year, then I guess that I'm packing up my SUV and driving to New York once or twice every fall. We have absolutely zero negotiating power to join a P5 conference. They tell us to jump, we ask how high. That's how this works.

Of course I was being sarcastic about playing home games on the road. The New York and possibly Boston markets would be key to this expansion. Yes, that might mean agreeing to one game per year in New York/Foxboro. Our hoops team used to play big games only on the road. As we grew they were in Hartford. Now Texas, Florida and Ohio State have played in Storrs.

You swallow your pride by starting out playing Texas/Olahoma in Jersey. As your program grows, they will come to East Hartford. But UConn and the state will still want exposure in that prime television / recruiting market

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why would we play Texas or Oklahoma in New Jersey?

People from Texas and Oklahoma are not predisposed to traveling to New Jersey in any great numbers and there's no massive native population of graduates in that area waiting. I think they'd be perplexed by the offer; ditto for the stadium operators.

They're not the Big Ten or Notre Dame - play them in East Hartford.

Reaction Score

Essentially, the Big XII is the sugar daddy, and UConn is the hot college chick neck-deep in student loans who's more than open to the proposition of being possessed for the sake of a meal ticket.

Welp, it is what it is...

Reaction Score
You guys want to kiss Texas' and Oklahoma's rear ends when all they can add right now is Cincinnati and UCF? We have leverage here.

Reaction Score
Why would we play Texas or Oklahoma in New Jersey?

People from Texas and Oklahoma are not predisposed to traveling to New Jersey in any great numbers and there's no massive native population of graduates in that area waiting. I think they'd be perplexed by the offer; ditto for the stadium operators.

They're not the Big Ten or Notre Dame - play them in East Hartford.

Who doesn't want a good excuse to go to NYC? If it takes dangling a trip to NYC while we build out our stadium to get them to agree to take us then make the offer. I doubt very much they would require us to play there all the time but our attraction to Texas and Oklahoma is our northeast markets and building their brands in NYC makes sense. Use whatever it takes to get the deal done. No doubt we would play them in East Hartford eventually. Just don't make any demands or let any CT politicians get involved in the discussions.

Reaction Score
I know, I know its all about football. We should play where they want us to play. Funny though how those schools will be drooling when our hoops teams come to town. Not only do both men and women play to sold out gyms, but when they come east we get to play them where we want to play. Ah, the power of leverage.

Reaction Score
There's no way UConn is going to agree to play freaking home games at Gilette or MetLife. Did the Big Ten ask Rutgers to play at MetLife or UMD to play at whatever that NFL stadium in Baltimore is called? No. God Almighty.

Reaction Score
Who doesn't want a good excuse to go to NYC? If it takes dangling a trip to NYC while we build out our stadium to get them to agree to take us then make the offer. I doubt very much they would require us to play there all the time but our attraction to Texas and Oklahoma is our northeast markets and building their brands in NYC makes sense. Use whatever it takes to get the deal done. No doubt we would play them in East Hartford eventually. Just don't make any demands or let any CT politicians get involved in the discussions.

Fishy, don't you think we need our senior senator involved to straighten the Cowboys out?

Reaction Score
There's no way UConn is going to agree to play freaking home games at Gilette or MetLife. Did the Big Ten ask Rutgers to play at MetLife or UMD to play at whatever that NFL stadium in Baltimore is called? No. God Almighty.

AAC for life Mr. Aresco

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Liked this post just for the passion....

For what it is worth, I'd have no problem with an annual NYC/Metlife game with a Big 12 or Big 10 opponent. It reinforces us as the NYC area team. Gillette, not so much.

It would need to be "neutral game" both so that we aren't giving up a home game and so that our opponent could take a 50% share of the net gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom